Estimation on Beta

sturmehsturmeh Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72465Members
I'd really like to know a general estimation of the release time frame for the Beta.
I ask this because I really need to consider my options in buying the Special Edition.

If you can't give me an estimate I will hold of on buying NS until I hear about it.

I'm only concerned because the price of the standard edition is going up, and you are forcing people to make decisions.

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1779996:date=Jul 17 2010, 02:39 AM:name=sturmeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sturmeh @ Jul 17 2010, 02:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd really like to know a general estimation of the release time frame for the Beta.
    I ask this because I really need to consider my options in buying the Special Edition.

If you can't give me an estimate I will hold of on buying NS until I hear about it.

I'm only concerned because the price of the standard edition is going up, and you are forcing people to make decisions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is the point of the cutoff, to get people to decide and buy now. The game going to the be 30, so the choice right now is save 10 dollars or get alpha+ further support them.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    If you plan on playing Natural Selection 2, ever, you should probably just invest in the product now. Alpha will last months. How many? Who knows, but at least a few. What you really need to ask yourself is can I put up with a feature incomplete game and lots of bugs? If the answer is no, best just get the regular. If you are awesome though, and bacon appears wherever you go, you will buy the SE!

Hope that helps.
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game going to the be 30, so the choice right now is save 10 dollars<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has not been confirmed, I don't even know why you are stating it so matter-of-factly.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Can't answer that until we have an idea of where this alpha's at. Until then, we can only make educated guesses based on what we've seen from UWE. With the absolutely massive amount of alpha preorders, I think it is very likely that beta will come up relatively quickly as the community works out the kinks and produces something playable. Maybe two months or so until we start hearing about the beta.

Gut feeling that UWE knows how important the next few months will be. They have a plan of action.
  • jimnablazedjimnablazed Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69946Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780000:date=Jul 17 2010, 07:48 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jul 17 2010, 07:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you are awesome though, and bacon appears wherever you go, you will buy the SE!

Hope that helps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HA! Brilliant.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1780002:date=Jul 17 2010, 02:50 AM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 17 2010, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has not been confirmed, I don't even know why you are stating it so matter-of-factly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True, however the point remains.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1779996:date=Jul 17 2010, 01:39 AM:name=sturmeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sturmeh @ Jul 17 2010, 01:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd really like to know a general estimation of the release time frame for the Beta.

I'm only concerned because the price of the standard edition is going up, and you are forcing people to make decisions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UWE isn't trying to force anyone into any decision, they are actually awarding the people who are helping support their game by offering the game ahead of time at a discounted price. Realistically NS will jump in price at a general estimation of $10 to $30 total. No one really has any idea of how long the Alpha will last, truly as long as necessary as getting all of the content in is priority, and the beta will be like most betas, final bug and balance testing. Whatever you decide, either way you're helping out UWE, if you would rather play NS2 in a more feature complete setting, purchase the standard for $20 and wait for the beta, if you would like to try it earlier and help out the company, feel free to toss $40 now and hit the servers with us. :)
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Heavens forbid the pre-orders end because the game is actually comming out, and you actually have to make a decision about wether to buy or not.

The only thing you need to decide is if it's worth listening to all us alpha players talk about how great alpha was, and you wheren't there because you wanted to save $10. I'm sure beta will be fun too, but you'll never be in since the start.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1780057:date=Jul 17 2010, 11:59 AM:name=TSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSS @ Jul 17 2010, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heavens forbid the pre-orders end because the game is actually comming out, and you actually have to make a decision about wether to buy or not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game isn't being released. A pre-release alpha version to assist on testing the current 'state' of the game is.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2010
    A famous man once said "when it's ready". Ok, fine, I butchered that. But we have no clue when it will come out. I know it is affecting your purchase decision but we learned long ago to not make any statements about release time frames too far in advance, sorry.
This discussion has been closed.