Price Increase

WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Anyone notice this?</div><a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy" target="_blank">NS2 Pre-Order Page</a>

Hope it hasn't already been posted but did anyone else notice it says that the price of the standard edition will inscrease July 26th?
Not exactly sure on why this would happen.
Also what will the price increase to.

Comments

• ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    I'm betting it goes to 30 bucks.

They just added that in too, it wasn't there a few hours ago.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    The price is increasing because the really early preorders are cheaper to encourage people to preorder earlier.
  • Water_BoyWater_Boy Join Date: 2003-08-19 Member: 19951Members, Constellation
    because after alpha and beta, it is a proper full on retail version of a game, and seeings as these awesome guys wanna make a living, what better way than by increasing the price to capitalise on the fact that some people (divvies :O)didnt pre-order this amazing game! $30 still isnt a large price, considering that most modern games here in the UK cost between £35-50, so $30 isnt bad for the slow coaches who want the game after alpha release :)
    I have an inherent problem with committing and putting down cash for a game I haven't even tried. This is why I generally despise preorder incentives.

I'm getting the special edition, but I feel dirty about it.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1778864:date=Jul 14 2010, 03:59 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 14 2010, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have an inherent problem with committing and putting down cash for a game I haven't even tried. This is why I generally despise preorder incentives.

I'm getting the special edition, but I feel dirty about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just feel good about yourself because you did it for a good cause. Also, I hope the price isn't over $30. You already cut out impulse purchasers over $20.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778862:date=Jul 14 2010, 03:54 PM:name=Water_Boy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Water_Boy @ Jul 14 2010, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->because after alpha and beta, it is a proper full on retail version of a game, and seeings as these awesome guys wanna make a living, what better way than by increasing the price to capitalise on the fact that some people (divvies :O)didnt pre-order this amazing game! $30 still isnt a large price, considering that most modern games here in the UK cost between £35-50, so $30 isnt bad for the slow coaches who want the game after alpha release :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First of all, "divvie" is a new one. Second of all, it is you, the pre-order that is considered "divvie" over the prudent consumer who waits and makes an informed decision. That being said, it is completely fair to offer a deal to those who place their trust in you, so while I wish they had notified the public sooner, it's still better than surprise-dlc $14.95 for refurbished maps.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I hadn't noticed. Thanks for the heads up.
  • CXZmanCXZman Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70730Members
    edited July 2010
    Spending money to give independent developers a chance to finish their game so you can later on play it for free is also an informed decision. It only matters when, how and why you spend your bucks, but the answer has not to be "when it's done, at higher price, like every other product buying". Maybe not buying the product, but feeding the devs instead, is still a relevant decision.

Yet, I wouldn't call those who wait and see "divvies" :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    I don't understand comments like this.

This is a team of people with 'professional' skills within their industry, and expect to be making a fairly good living.

How much do you think it costs for the salary's of 4/5 permanent members of staff, plus the freelancing they hire out and all the equipment/website/licensing for adobe packages etc, and everything involved in producing a stand alone game. I'm telling you that they for sure work longer than your standard 8 hour shifts, sacrificing their time for something they are passionate about.

Not only that, but it is priced at a very low cost compared to any new game on the market. In the UK Modern Warfare 2 was £40 (£50 for consoles in some places) on steam, that is $60. Plus due to a massive advertisement budget, a lot more units can be bought which generally means more return.

Clue up.
    Who are you even talking to, Runteh?

No one even said anything negative about the situation. If you think someone who adopts a "wait and see" approach to purchasing games is somehow disrespecting the developers, you are completely wrong.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited July 2010
    Most, if not all, games on STEAM when preordered, usually have a discount on the full retail price of the game's launch day price.

The Special Edition is like a Limited Edition CoD:MW2 box, but instead we are getting access it before the game is being released.

Everyone gets what they want for the price they want. Pretty common sense.

And honestly, this game is easily a $40-$50 value once NS2 hits post release patch 2.0/3.0, as we all know from the experience of playing NS1.

UWE are not just a bunch of money grubbing corporate vampire sucking consumers pockets like Bobby Kotick, so be thankful this game is actually priced at what it is.

*EDIT*

THE RISE OF THE INDIE DEVELOPER, SHALL SQUASH ALL CORPORATE MIGHT!!!

;D
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I love all these arguments between people who are pro pre-order and those who aren't. "Prudent consumer making an informed decision".. for god sake it's THIRTY DOLLARS. Most people go and take a nice long lavatory visit and make that much money.
  • rada660rada660 Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70342Members
    hope you noticed aswell tha the sepcial edition will no more be availbel after july 26th so i guess tha the standard edition is only taking the place
  • obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
    I fullly support a bump up to $30 (much more then that and I think you will just hurt revenue, but hey its your game do what you want). You want it cheap, get in early when the devs need your money the most.
  • MrHorribleMrHorrible Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72389Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The thing is it's going to be on steam which practically guarantees at some point there will be a sale on it. I'm also somewhat concerned that if they raise the price too much that it might prevent a lot of people from buying it. I know there is a decent group of people that follow this game but I don't know if it's big enough to justify a high price. Non AAA games seem to have a pretty poor track record with multiplayer. Although knowing that, I think this game will still last a reasonably long time as long as when it's released it isn't super buggy/incomplete.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778912:date=Jul 14 2010, 05:23 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 14 2010, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who are you even talking to, Runteh?

No one even said anything negative about the situation. If you think someone who adopts a "wait and see" approach to purchasing games is somehow disrespecting the developers, you are completely wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. Developers have been really giving us the shaft for years now. UBI is charging 60 dollars for most of their trash, and the bundle it with horrible DRM. JoWood couldn't make a stable game if the fate of the world depended on it.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Another thought, $20 was the proposed price when they thought they were going to have to cut DI, Heavys and various other features due to lack of funding.

The game as it's planned now has quite a lot more content than the one they were expecting to have to release (I don't think they quite expected the amount of support they've received when they opened pre-orders).
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And honestly, this game is easily a $40-$50 value once NS2 hits post release patch 2.0/3.0, as we all know from the experience of playing NS1.

UWE are not just a bunch of money grubbing corporate vampire sucking consumers pockets like Bobby Kotick, so be thankful this game is actually priced at what it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not all people have this strong faith in Unknown Worlds, including me. All you old-school NS1 players have spent years in this community and have built up relationships so I understand this feeling, I just don't have it because I am new.

No one here called UWE "money grubbing corporate vampires", in fact the way these devs interact with the player base and post regular updates is a huge encouragement to me, it's a very good sign. However, having good intentions and being cool dudes doesn't automatically mean you will push out a good product.

Yes, the price is very reasonable compared to most of the full-featured games released by major publishers, but it's still high enough for me to ask internally "Should I buy it now or wait for reviews?". So that's where I stand right now, I am VERY tempted to order but I am also very tentative. And again, I mean absolutely no disrespect to the developers, I don't even understand how someone can construe it that way.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778998:date=Jul 14 2010, 11:20 PM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Jul 14 2010, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love all these arguments between people who are pro pre-order and those who aren't. "Prudent consumer making an informed decision".. for god sake it's THIRTY DOLLARS. Most people go and take a nice long lavatory visit and make that much money.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I love when people miss the point entirely, as if map packs were really an issue about people not being able to spare $14.95. I sincerely hope you read the link I quoted you earlier, as it's exactly that attitude of "who cares" that is killing PC gaming.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Thank god dollar is so cheap ;)
  • SkeithySkeithy Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72348Members
    See I think $20 is a perfect price range for games like this. Going to $30 or possibly even $40 just sounds like the developers are banking on Natural Selection's legacy making people fall to their knees, mouth agape, and open their wallets. But you gotta charge what you gotta charge to make a profit so I can't really fault then too much on it. I happily paid $40 but not all of us are misty eyed gaming hippies.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    Skeithy, seriously, when you see crap games sold 60€ and people buying it because lolzitstoocool, there are M16modernwarfarez, I think the price can increase a little.

We have the luck to have a quality game (mod engine) in production, give it a hand.
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    this is basically good for both fundraising and the players who already have preordered the game. there should be an advantage to pre order a game you havent tried yet and that is the discount you get.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I think the price should increase to 25 instead of 30.

Psychologically, paying an two-digit amount that starts with 2 is a lot less intimidating than the one that starts with 3.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Charge based on content, if you get a AAA quality game, charge AAA prices for it.

I'd rather pay more than less for a game I enjoy a lot, similarly I'd rather pay less than more for a game I don't.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779569:date=Jul 16 2010, 04:59 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Jul 16 2010, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the price should increase to 25 instead of 30.

Psychologically, paying an two-digit amount that starts with 2 is a lot less intimidating than the one that starts with 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that's simple to solve.

29.99!
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    I guess when they began selling NS2, they didn't have much to show, so you purchased on faith alone and helped speed along development. I reckon the price will be $29.95, halfway between Standard Edition and Special Edition.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779588:date=Jul 16 2010, 05:37 PM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Jul 16 2010, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779588"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess when they began selling NS2, they didn't have much to show, so you purchased on faith alone and helped speed along development. I reckon the price will be $29.95, halfway between Standard Edition and Special Edition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why I bought the game. I think it's going to be immense and there is no harm in supporting thier company.

I also think it will be $29.95 because that seems like a reasonable price and it ends in .95 which seems to be thier selling price.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I think the price is OK. After all many of us played NS1 for free! Still I wanna know more about NS2 before I might pre-order.
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    Prices for <b><u>good games</u></b> become extremely irrelevant when there is a ton of re-playability. A lot of people are chomping at the bit to play NS2 ALPHA. Personally I am going to wait to buy NS2 until it goes retail regardless of the price. Finished games are a lot more fun to play, then work in progresses.