Development Blog Update - NS2 Alpha date set!

Comments

• DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Making history with your Business Model and making what's shaping up to be another awesome game too.

Kudos UWE.
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    OMG going to esplode! Very excited guys, the wait was hard but its all the more sweet. I'm also excited to see how my hardware fares now that you guys had the engine test complete.
  • lame-olame-o Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71517Members
    edited July 2010
    I love you with all my heart UWE. NS1 was a big surprise for me back in the early 2000's, I didn't realize that multiplayer gaming can be so teamwork oriented and atmospheric and fun. I really didn't. Most of what I played before then was CS, DoD, Battlefield, and TFC. All mostly deathmatch kill fests. They were and are still fun, but NS1 put something entirely different on the table. I still haven't really played anything that did what NS1 did.

But now NS2 is coming out so ###### it!
  • lame-olame-o Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71517Members
    edited July 2010
  • PstranglerPstrangler Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21198Members
    Wow! Great milestone ahead guys, congratulations are in order. Cheers to the UWE team!

Can't wait to find head scratching bugs for you.
    Suggestion: find and set up a dev database for alpha tester to file in bugs and for devs to comment/fix/close them, also, make sure it has a no-brainer search function to help avoid duplicates, no one likes dupes. Get Satisfaction is not suited for a software as complicated as a video game.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    I was sure this would happen after that promising twitter post...

But not that soon! just less than 2 weeks to go... <3 UWE :D
  • RyuuRyuu Join Date: 2009-08-19 Member: 68531Members
    Great work, guys. It's been wonderful watching the engine and game slowly come together.

Will the alpha contain any optimizations for the game/engine? Or is that something that'll get done over the alpha period?

Also, will dedicated server software be available to download when the alpha is available, or will it be official servers only until the release?
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    OH MY LOOOOORD!!!!

I almost yelled, ###### YEAH at my job but i had to choose a silently way so i waved my hands like a freaking crazy man ###### on his pants. This is something i never believed this happening all i have ever dreamed except a jackpot on lottery are coming really happen :).

Great work and lets all celebrate the coolness of black armors. Hope you guys in near future when the game is ready you start adding some "tf2" style items so the game never gets old with the new stuff coming.

Thank you this made my day.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    Amazing news UWE. I'm extremely pleased with the entire UWE team. Even though you say that if it weren't for us this wouldn't of been possible, well, if it weren't for you guys, we wouldn't have this wonderful game that has literally gotten many of us addicted. All of you have amazing talent, and vision and i'm sure that NS2 will only be the beginning for you guys, you ALL have way too much talent. Who would of known that after 8 years, that i would still be around, anticipating once again another NS release, and also once again be apart of a group of people who are testing and bug reporting. It's just like old times.. =) Oh and also.. great release date, i'm off for that entire week, ohh yeah :D
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778416:date=Jul 14 2010, 04:48 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 14 2010, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunate timing of your first alpha release, right next door to <u>my Exams</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

corrected this for you :P => EDIT2: corrected this <b>for ME</b> :S

Thank you for the epic news !!!!

It's funny how people guessed what this news is going to be and you're not only giving us the release date, you give us ingame screens, nearly everything most people guessed, but all at once :)

Very nice !

Now I have enough motivation to finish my exams well :)

EDIT:

@TerraGamerX: it's been already discussed with max (imho) that there will be dynamic infestation at least in the 1.0 release, you should check the ns wiki or use the forum function to search every developer's post !

-> Dynamic Infestation was removed from the Logo at the end, because it didn't make sense to have a 30 second clip with a 20 second logo so they stripped the Infestation from the Logo at the end of the clips.
    -> Max said Dynamic Infestation never was "broken" and it's will be in for at least v. 1.0
  • OptikalOptikal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13583Members, Constellation
    I forgot to say Congratulations!! Next, I hope you know what you are doing by cutting off Alpha access at release date :) I for one, pre-ordered within 24 hours of it becoming available. But, being able to buy into Alpha access is a big money maker that you may not want to cut off right yet, although, it sure makes me feel better that there will be fewer marines in black armor out there. I'd consider cutting it off at beta launch. I'm sure alpha will be many months long and pre-orders will be stagnant without the lure of being able to play immediately. Just a thought!

Congrats again!
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778501:date=Jul 13 2010, 11:01 PM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Jul 13 2010, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The decision to not offer alpha after the 26th is strange.

I can remember during the TF2 beta stage that after it went live in beta mode, many more people bought beta to start playing with their friends who had already pre-ordered (so, obviously more sales).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Still remember that alpha and beta are two vastly different things, an alpha is most often a near unplayable bugfest missing features and what not, while a beta is pretty much the finished game just in need of some additional bugsmashing. Once NS2 alpha has reached something close to version 1.0 it will go beta and everyone having pre-ordered will get to play. Allowing any uncommited average joe to come in and play the alpha at this stage might cause more harm than not. Most if not all the people having ordered the SE are devoted NS1 fans who want nothing more than to see it's successor succeed and to that end they won't care much about the buggy mess they get in the beginning. While others might not be so understanding.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    SWEET! Kinda weird about the SC2 date, but I don't think it'll be that big a deal. Get bored of one, play the other. Get bored of both, play something else for a while. It's an alpha, not a balanced masterpiece.

While I'd love to see UWE get more monies from more SE orders, the elitist in me also likes to see cutoff dates. There's no point in a deal that promises exclusive status if anyone can upgrade anytime. If you really want to support UWE with extra money at that point, buy a second copy of the game for a friend. That's assuming that your intention really was to fund the company, not to thinly veil a resentment that you can't sit on the fence till after you hear how the alpha/beta/whatever played. Now or never, folks!

It's kinda sad to hear about the upgrade option being gone already, though. That's definitely an oversight. :(

<!--quoteo(post=1778606:date=Jul 14 2010, 04:23 AM:name=nNyxx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nNyxx @ Jul 14 2010, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Afterall, you already have Starcraft 2. Its called Warhammer 40k. AND you dont need to pay for maps<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure, you only have to pay a couple hundred dollars for an unassembled, unpainted set of fragile plastic toys that you spend weeks trying to glue together and paint only to give up in frustration when you realize you suck at it. :)
    (really, not hating on Warhammer players, I played fantasy for a while :P)

<!--quoteo(post=1778647:date=Jul 14 2010, 07:37 AM:name=Cruor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cruor @ Jul 14 2010, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still remember that alpha and beta are two vastly different things, an alpha is most often a near unplayable bugfest missing features and what not, while a beta is pretty much the finished game just in need of some additional bugsmashing. Once NS2 alpha has reached something close to version 1.0 it will go beta and everyone having pre-ordered will get to play. Allowing any uncommited average joe to come in and play the alpha at this stage might cause more harm than not. Most if not all the people having ordered the SE are devoted NS1 fans who want nothing more than to see it's successor succeed and to that end they won't care much about the buggy mess they get in the beginning. While others might not be so understanding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this exactly
    Alpha is for people who don't care how crappy the alpha's going to be, or who just wanted to donate the extra cash out of appreciation.
    Imagine if someone heard "oh yeah NS2 is playable now, go pre-order," tried it, decided it sucked, and then told all their friends NS2 sucks. I don't think alpha access should be able to come from an impulse buy. Bad business. Beta is another story, though - much easier to convince someone on a game with an hour of beta play than alpha.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778645:date=Jul 14 2010, 12:25 PM:name=1mannARMEE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1mannARMEE @ Jul 14 2010, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->corrected this for you :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, you never. I do not have exams.
  • OptikalOptikal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13583Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778647:date=Jul 14 2010, 08:37 AM:name=Cruor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cruor @ Jul 14 2010, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still remember that alpha and beta are two vastly different things, an alpha is most often a near unplayable bugfest missing features and what not, while a beta is pretty much the finished game just in need of some additional bugsmashing. Once NS2 alpha has reached something close to version 1.0 it will go beta and everyone having pre-ordered will get to play. Allowing any uncommited average joe to come in and play the alpha at this stage might cause more harm than not. Most if not all the people having ordered the SE are devoted NS1 fans who want nothing more than to see it's successor succeed and to that end they won't care much about the buggy mess they get in the beginning. While others might not be so understanding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You make a good case, I semi-retract my post just before yours. Alpha is cannot even be described as unpolished, its more lacking many major components and riddled with bugs and system issues. Still though, people should be able to buy into that if they want. It's good for UW!
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
  • Pii_SmithPii_Smith Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72356Members
    Hey the Alpha release is on my birth day. I guess this means i have to preorder. ;)
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778649:date=Jul 14 2010, 02:40 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 14 2010, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, you never. I do not have exams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

... now I'm jealous !
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    DOMINATED: DOMINATED: DOMINATED: DOMINATED: DOMINATED: DOMINATED:
  • HashashinHashashin Join Date: 2010-04-15 Member: 71416Members
  • Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited July 2010
    Cool stuff, I guess our website was about a year too early :P. Oh well, will be nice to finally get our hands onto some game play.
  • gobotgobot Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67688Members
    2nd time christmas nice ! :D
  • sfonseca16sfonseca16 Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68689Members
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Are you still working on a flamethrower? Or did you decide to put it out of the project? So there are not a Fade and an Onus in the NS2 Alpha Playable, right? Well, release some art work or some print-screens just to let us know how much ugly the Fade is.<i></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • throttlethrottle Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22776Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Some Board Member+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Some Board Member)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What about <i>arbitrary uncoded feature X?</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Go back, read the announcement again, look at the "NS2 Alpha 1 content" section. I know you're excited, but really... :)

Great work guys. You've got Duke Nukem Forever beat now for sure!
  • camslicecamslice Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69520Members
    Congratulations on getting to this milestone. It took longer than I would've liked, but I'm glad that you guys made it.
  • jimnablazedjimnablazed Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69946Members
    REALLY looking forward to this!! This will be the longest 2 weeks of my life :(
    It'll be so worth the wait though :)
  • GorgetrapperGorgetrapper Join Date: 2008-11-11 Member: 65420Members
    I really need to know if I can upgrade my current standard edition to the special edition. I pre-ordered back in May 2009 when it first was announced, and I didn't have much money back then. Now that I do, I want to upgrade. Is it possible, or do I have to buy a whole new key and whatnot?
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum section saying that you can't, but I believe this if accounts are linked into steam / new buys, if it's an old account and you've not hooked it up to a steam account it might be worth asking. Else, "Sadly, no".