pre-alpha editor feature-wishlist

2»

Comments

• Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1770577:date=May 10 2010, 01:09 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ May 10 2010, 01:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make a retangle, extrude the face and voila you have your brush, because by doubleclicking one of its faces you select all parts of the brush and can handle it as you were used to in hammer.
    Just with the advantage that you can go for all sorts of shapes with a single brush by further extruding, adding lines, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My goodness, I actually did not notice that. That would greatly speed up work on outside/space maps. I would like a better solution though... Copy and pasting like that still leaves all visible faces intact, and while it won't cause "leaks" at all, it will still likely cause drops in framerate, and will be a developing nightmare when your map gets large enough. The jury is still out on how effective using this method will be though.

Edit: The faces that get left there also are very noticeable -_-
  • ArkArk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68489Members
    edited May 2010
    I'll guess i'll post this here, not strictly bound to the editor though:

-Directional lights
    -Shadow colour (if its possable)
    -Disable Specular/Diffuse contribution on lights
    -Projection maps for lights
    -Vertex colour blending on meshes (useful for doing terrain)
    -Saturation value on Colour Grading
    -Edit multiple properties at once
    -Post-Process effects
    -Coronas for lights
    -Atmospheric light scattering for some nice outdoor scenes
    -Volumetric fog
  • PstranglerPstrangler Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21198Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770801:date=May 11 2010, 12:29 PM:name=Ark)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ark @ May 11 2010, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Directional lights<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aren't spotlights just that?
    Well a spotlight has a cone and attenuation, a directional light shouldn't have these, nor should its position matter, only its rotation. Also directional lights create parallel shadows.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited May 2010
    He means like the light_enviroment in the half-life/source engines
    In the Spark engine, this would require blocks_light faces or the light would pour all over everthing that does not have a back face, Back faces block commander views.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    If there are multiple vertices at one point, the line tool should use the vertex of the selected geometry.
    <!--quoteo(post=1770020:date=May 6 2010, 09:39 PM:name=Pstrangler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pstrangler @ May 6 2010, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just started with NS2 mapping, my home PC is down (and aux PCs are all too slow for the editor) I have to play around during breaks at work. I can't wait to get my PC up and running again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yay, I got it up once more! Swapped the Mobo, crossed my fingers, woot Windows didnt blue screen on me!
    ________________________________________________________________________________

On the suggestion side of things:
    -Being able to group items, especially lights, to mass edit their properties at once.
  • ianmcmillianmcmill Join Date: 2010-04-29 Member: 71569Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i would like to have some sort of

- magnetic snap tool for probs. very handy for aligning pipes wires and tracks etc
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2010
    Dbl-clicking a face selects all parts of that "brush".
    The problem is that you can't add other brushes to this selection by dbl clicking, but only single items, while holding ctrl.

-Make ctrl+dbl-click on a face add the whole brush to the selection.
    Thought of a few more additions:

-Detail maps <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$detail" target="_blank">http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$detail</a>
    -Vertex Blend Shader <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-cryengine-3/63097" target="_blank">http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-cryengine-3/63097</a>
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    I'm missing the option to switch with the TAB key through the value fields of e.g. the Texture Mapping like scale x/y
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    - Someone else said this but it bears repeating. Allow "Control + Double-Click" to enable selection of all faces from multiple pieces of geometry.

-Texture alignment that defaults to scale 1.0 no matter how big the texture or face is.

- Ability to quickly filter the visibility of elements that would not be seen in game (e.g spotlight guidlines) without needing to manually put them in their own groups.

- A personal "dream feature" - A Camera mode that simulates the first person view of a marine. Would be amazing to edit while moving around as if i was playing. Perfect for getting the scale right without needing to load the game to check it looks correct.
  • OrAnGeJ00zOrAnGeJ00z Join Date: 2010-06-15 Member: 72064Members
    I would love to be able to move around the 2d grid using the arrow-keys like in hammer;) And perhaps zoom a little faster!
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    I would like to be able to toggle off the ability to move an object by dragging the Y + X or Y + Z face gizmo. Those two always get in the way when I'm trying to move something on either the x or z axis and I never use them. I do use the X + Z face though so it could toggle the move by face on/ off or checkbox for certain faces.
    If it were possible to make a few 'keyboard shortcut' presets so people could mimic the key mapping of another program of their choice (say Unreal SDK, Hammer, 3ds max, Blender...) so it would allow people to be more productive right away. One of the first reflexes I had was to press P to get the perspective view or M to access the shaders...

And these keymaps could be saved and shared among users: "You like Blender? Cool I like it too, I made a keymap, you want it?"
    As I saw similar features on other programs or games, I guess it probably could be feasible.
  • lame-olame-o Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71517Members
    edited June 2010
    I would like one thing, and one thing only. The ability to WELD VERTICES. Too often do I have 2 or more vertices in exactly the same spot, and that really messes with creating new faces and changing anything. I always have to start from scratch trying to find an optimal method of extruding and connecting things, because otherwise I have clipping issues and overlaps.

The way the editor is designed you would expect to be able to weld vertices together to really complete the streamline "just draw ###### and it'll act the way you want it to" concept.
    You can weld vertices..
  • lame-olame-o Join Date: 2010-04-24 Member: 71517Members
    edited June 2010
    Oh? Can you PM how to do that?
  • kir44nkir44n Join Date: 2010-06-24 Member: 72149Members
    You can weld vertices by selecting said vertices, opening the edit menu, then clicking the "Weld Vertices" option, right below "flip face" & "create face" at the bottome
  • vinakavinaka Join Date: 2010-06-27 Member: 72182Members
    As someone else suggested earlier... I need a ruler, or better, the ability to display/toggle the dimensions of a surface I am drawing. I am bare-bones, brand new to mapping, and it is very difficult for me to grasp the size of the blocks I am putting together. (My poor marine prop was lucky he could stand up straight in the first corner I laid down.) Anyway, I'd really appreciate it.

Being a lefty, I'd also like the ability to remap the keys for panning. I'm looking at you, arrows...

I am also noticing textures I am laying down deforming completely when I move around what they are attached to---walls, floors, etc. A more responsive way to lock textures would be nice. Maybe I've not found it yet, but is there a quick way to slide textures across a surface, using the mouse perhaps? It would be nice to quickly search for that one little widget I like and center it in a small selection.

Seems like I am just restating a lot of this stuff. Here's to hoping the tools just keep getting better.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    not exactly a feature.. but can we please get some static command stations, resource harvesters, armories, hives that aren't green etc type props for scaling purposes? I'd find it really handy for sizing up rooms and such.
    A neat, but very low priority feature:
    Print the model scales on the bottom of the created thumbnail.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    Hotkeys for:

change active viewport to lit mode
    change active viewport to unlit mode
  • whitelynxwhitelynx Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73248Members
    I make heavy use of grid snapping, and so far I have one major complaint: I can't make the grid small enough. I like to work in metric, so it's great that there's a "centimeters" display mode, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the grid smaller than 12.5cm, which is huge when I'm trying to model details like railings, small pipes, and catwalk supports.

Also, I'd like to be able to set hotkeys for filtering vertices, edges, faces, and entities... I'm a big keyboard user, and having to click on tiny toolbar buttons frustrates me. :P

Other than that, I'm very impressed with the editor so far! I may even prefer it over Blender once it's finished. ;)