expandable map

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
<div class="IPBDescription">idea to support variable player count</div>I've been mulling over an idea for a while and wondering what everyone thinks.

The map would start out small, comfortably accommodating a small number of players. When a certain number of players have been each team for a few minutes, the map would open up more; revealing additional rooms, hallways, tech points, and resource nodes, as necessary. It would stay expanded (even if some people leave), and be reset to small at the beginning of the next round.

Here is an example implementation (feel free to tweak as you see fit):
The starting "small" map would have 5 rooms, and accommodate 6-13 players. When at least 7 players have been on each team for at least 2 minutes, the map would be expanded into "large" mode, accompanied by an audible alarm to alert everyone of the event. This would open up two additional rooms (previously sealed behind locked doors and vents), which provide an additional resource node and tech point.

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    We don't know how exactly res distribution and flow works in ns2, but this idea might be interesting, if you add an additional res node room for each team to increase res income for larger teams. Additional tech points might not be such a good idea.
  • KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    I like the idea, so assuming the game works as we might think it would be really cool.

you could absolutly balance a map perfectly for competition play. but then for pub play just have the map with more rooms etc more nodes. and maybe even more tech points.

why not take it father. the map could get bigger the longer the game goes on.

so a 5 TP map might get an extra 1 or 2 TPs if its been going on too long and some more nodes. this will help bring the game to an end.

the maps could have settings such as competition mode on|off or dynamicMap on|off

the idea of timed or population based triggers seems really nice.

like that old func_random or something? where on map load, a pillar might be standing or might have collapsed or doors might be closed or open. I dont think it ever worked though but it was a nice idea as well.

i do think mappers should be able to create really unique maps where you would definately have very different goals depening on the map you played. much like on starcraft where some maps make some strats much more viable than others.

although no side should have additional advantage depending on the map ever. unlike some SC maps
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I dont like the idea of timelimit for expansion, I would suggest that the additional places are unlocked due achievements like welding certain door open or infestation / biting debris off. Idea is not only to unlock additional rooms(tech point/rt) but shortcuts and places that may hold strategic value. Problem is that it maybe hard to make a map where there are literally no chances to block either race completely off, this was a problem on public in NS1 where most of the game time where practically waste due marinebase camping or similar situations.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    It is weld siege man c'mon :)