Consuming Corpses

Dr. PepperDr. Pepper Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72217Members
edited July 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
One of my major complaints in NS was that there was a shared resource system. I know this makes things easier to balance. Resource nodes produce resources at the same rate, they're effectively a neutral game aspect, blah blah.

However, what if the aliens had less resources from nodes and more resources from killing marines? Say for example, you kill a marine, a skulk can grab the corpse and drag it up the wall into a vent to eat it. More resources. Drag it to a hive, even better!

Just a wild thought. It'd look really cool gameplay wise to see corpses being dragged down halls.

Comments

• Ge_FreakGe_Freak Join Date: 2010-06-30 Member: 72211Members
    But then you would need another way for humans to get bonus resources. Eating aliens? lol It could be bring a alien back to lab or somthing so infield scientists could extract the aliens for resources or research better weapons. Like the idea btw :)
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    Make a mod. Alien gain res with corpse eating... Marines gain res as 'bounty' or something. Make things more expensive... Do whatever.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1776588:date=Jul 1 2010, 04:03 PM:name=Dr. Pepper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr. Pepper @ Jul 1 2010, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776588"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of my major complaints in NS was that there was a shared resource system. I know this makes things easier to balance. Resource nodes produce resources at the same rate, they're effectively a neutral game aspect, blah blah.

However, what if the aliens had less resources from nodes and more resources from killing marines? Say for example, you kill a marine, a skulk can grab the corpse and drag it up the wall into a vent to eat it. More resources. Drag it to a hive, even better!

Just a wild thought. It'd look really cool gameplay wise to see corpses being dragged down halls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Although it sounds cool (Hell, it certainly does and from a rines POV seeing you buddy dragged into a vent is scary as hell) it would create a gameplay element, where the skulk suddenly becomes very passive. Almost gorge like.

You certainly wont drag a corpse pretty fast and consuming it also would need a few seconds. So a skulks would be 20 maybe 25 seconds out of the big picture for maybe 1 or 2 res points.

However I like the idea of promoting an efficient hunt. So lets allow skulks to drag marine corpses around. When they drag the corpse to infestation the bacteria dissolves the corpse adding additional res to the skulk, or maybe the alien commander. This would allow the successful hunter to gather additional res by securing their prey, without wasting too much time on eating it.

It also creates an interesting gameplay element, because marines near alien controlled areas risk feeding the alien team. This would make ninjas and ramboing into the hive early on more risky.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Are you suggesting something like RFK?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776607:date=Jul 1 2010, 07:47 PM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faskalia @ Jul 1 2010, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It also creates an interesting gameplay element, because marines near alien controlled areas risk feeding the alien team. This would make ninjas and ramboing into the hive early on more risky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Meh... In general I don't think it's a good idea to artificially reward defensive play. The defensive player has better position, shorter resupply route and probably a dozen more advantages depending on the game. The offensive player risks all the equipment and time spent travelling to the target area. Usually I'm more worried about games getting too defensive than the other way round.

NS also stood out from the crowd because it doesn't establish too strict defensive perimeters, not in the early game at least. In most games you'll constantly end up hurling yourself against the enemy lines. NS was far more interesting on that area of gameplay.
  • CXZmanCXZman Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70730Members
    If defensive style reward is a problem have the gorge only be able to eat corpse to get bonus res.

- he has to rush on front line to get its bonus (no way it is a defensive move, then)
    - he maybe has to be helped out (teamplay ?! yum yum)
    - he's the weak one and a juicy target for rines, so there's motivation on both sides (if aliens get their res, woot. If marines kill the gorge, woot.)

I don't think that's the best idea around, but that being a defensive bonus is no more a problem with this workaround.