onos charge

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
Will the Onos have the ability to charge or otherwise use its large mass to throw a marine half way across a room? I'd love to see this happen, with some ragdoll physics thrown in, for live marines.

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I doubt this would go in unless it was cleverly done. Realistically, if a onos took a light swing at any of the marines, it would knock them flying.

But if an onos got into a base and hit everyone, once they had been hit that is a gun not being fired, plus the time it takes to get back up off the floor and start firing again. It would be too easy to keep hitting people down and let skulks mop up.

Only way I imagine it could work is if onos/marine heavy suit was a game changer, took a lot of res but more or less wins the game for one of the teams if it penetrates the base.

I think you are thinking it is more of a visual issue, which it is for me. Such as seeing an onos standing on the spot, looking around and just spinning around without moving its legs. Marines just being 'bumped' back standing vertical also looks very odd.

I think they would be awesome as game changing units, but were a big risk. It would be very satisfying to walk around as the dominating player.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    All of the points you listed (as cons) seem like pros to me. Certainly, it would have to be balanced, but that is true for any gameplay-changing feature.
  • CXZmanCXZman Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70730Members
    ... and since they certainly have to be balanced, they're still cons :) If you can think of a feature and say "but they certainly need balancing", you're thinking about something nasty. On early gamedesign stages, it becomes a major strategic element. On pre alpha stage, it's just a pain in the ass.