Dual Welders

13»

Comments

• Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Did you read the post you're quoting? I'll walk you through it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No I didn't neglect that. <b>In both cases you shoot both weapons for alien 1</b>. In the second case, however, you have the<b> opportunity of reloading a single gun while still being able to operate the second one</b> should an alien decide to exploit your temporary weakness. Therefore bolstering your overall survivability because<b> you will never be helpless.</b>

I am definitely<b> not saying</b> [...] <b> that using one blocks the use of the other.</b> I'm saying it should be weapon 1 and/or 2. Obviously most of the time you'd use both, but not always.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1775285:date=Jun 18 2010, 09:42 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jun 18 2010, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even if it's only dual miniguns and no other options are available, it will still be useful to have separate fire buttons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No it won't be useful; but it's great that you endorse useless options, I'll enjoy the silence when someone suggests a burstfire mode.

<!--quoteo(post=1775311:date=Jun 18 2010, 01:11 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 18 2010, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No I didn't neglect that. In both cases you shoot both weapons for alien 1. In the second case, however, you have the opportunity of reloading a single gun while still being able to operate the second one should an alien decide to exploit your temporary weakness.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not quite, I fire in perfect sync and more accurately, thus doing a higher DPS than in either of your examples (because holding down two or more mouse buttons while aiming both decreases your aim and increases the tendency to lose sync while firing). In NS gameplay the more damage you do the quicker ALWAYS wins the encounter, hence (assuming no reloading while firing) there is no advantage to having this option.
  • ZeconZecon Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67625Members
    hopefully not everything is duelweildable?
    <!--quoteo(post=1775632:date=Jun 20 2010, 09:38 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 20 2010, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No it won't be useful; but it's great that you endorse useless options, I'll enjoy the silence when someone suggests a burstfire mode.

Not quite, I fire in perfect sync and more accurately, thus doing a higher DPS than in either of your examples (because holding down two or more mouse buttons while aiming both decreases your aim and increases the tendency to lose sync while firing). In NS gameplay the more damage you do the quicker ALWAYS wins the encounter, hence (assuming no reloading while firing) there is no advantage to having this option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I'm not awesome enough to complain about my loss of aim while holding two buttons, and I'm definitely not awesome to yell reg, but in any case, I really don't see how you can say it's always better to deal maximum damage in a small amount of time. Aliens don't risk their lifeforms, so surviving long enough for reinforcements by keeping at bay can often be the better alternative to killing then dying when overwhelmed.
    Also, I assume that separate weapon controls include separate weapons reload.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    You know when an LMG is good enough to kill a skulk but you use your HMG bullets instead and then have to reload. Wouldn't it be great to be able to reload in half the time or even never!
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1775644:date=Jun 20 2010, 06:24 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Jun 20 2010, 06:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know when an LMG is good enough to kill a skulk but you use your HMG bullets instead and then have to reload. Wouldn't it be great to be able to reload in half the time or even never!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think a better implementation of this would be an automated hand grenade feeder so that your lmg/hmg bullets are uninterrupted by the skulks.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775187:date=Jun 18 2010, 03:45 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jun 18 2010, 03:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You mean less reliable, not more. But that's not a bad idea to mix with overheating - when a weapon is overheated its attack cone goes to a range 10x normal and maybe attack speed slows, but doesn't stop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah i meant less reliable. increased cone of fire as the weapon heats up

<!--quoteo(post=1775632:date=Jun 21 2010, 06:38 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 21 2010, 06:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No it won't be useful; but it's great that you endorse useless options, I'll enjoy the silence when someone suggests a burstfire mode.

Not quite, I fire in perfect sync and more accurately, thus doing a higher DPS than in either of your examples (because holding down two or more mouse buttons while aiming both decreases your aim and increases the tendency to lose sync while firing). In NS gameplay the more damage you do the quicker ALWAYS wins the encounter, hence (assuming no reloading while firing) there is no advantage to having this option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so have 1 button to shoot both weapons, and then hitting reload will reload 1 weapon, hitting it twice will reload both at the same time. of course you can wait for 1 to finish reloading before you reload the other
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I half to say that the first thing that came to mind about a mini gun that has to cool down to fire again: who made this thing the Germans!? I mean after it has to cool down for the 3rd or 4th time do I half to change the barrels out lol?

I think it is an interesting idea but I think the real interesting combos to see would be things like multiple different primaries. Like you could have hmg type weapon as main and fire nades from a gl as alt fire! Or what about a mini gun and flame thrower. Hell if there is going to be a stationary mode it would be crazy to see heavies with a weapon that fires a low power siege like shot!
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775643:date=Jun 20 2010, 05:18 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 20 2010, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I'm not awesome enough to complain about my loss of aim while holding two buttons, and I'm definitely not awesome to yell reg, but in any case, I really don't see how you can say it's always better to deal maximum damage in a small amount of time. Aliens don't risk their lifeforms, so surviving long enough for reinforcements by keeping at bay can often be the better alternative to killing then dying when overwhelmed.
    Also, I assume that separate weapon controls include separate weapons reload.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just ignore renegade, he enjoys having tantrums if people don't agree with him. He's really the only one arguing against the common sense consensus of the certain advantage of two weapons.

But really it's too early to speculate with any depth since they've said the concept is completely different than the heavy in ns1. The intention of the thread was to provide some amusing weapon combos, but clearly some people just can't play nice.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776079:date=Jun 24 2010, 06:08 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jun 24 2010, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He's really the only one arguing against the common sense consensus of the certain advantage of two weapons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's only fitting the illogical are also illiterate. As if you had bothered reading, you'd find I was agreeing with sentiments already expressed. Not that it's not painfully obvious that your argument got shutdown sometime ago, so naturally you've resorted to ad hominems.
    Well, considering the fact that all you do is flame people who don't think like you, I'm pretty sure he's right when he says it's useless to try and argue with you. Judging by your general attitude on the forum, I can see that you're just trying to show off your skill and knowledge of the game. Needless to say, I doubt that this would be good argumentation.

Arguments in favor of independent firing have been given. You've tried to shoot down all of them by saying that it's always best to kill things fast, and then that because you have perfect aim, you're convinced that something as benign as tightening an extra muscle on your middle finger will suddenly make you lose all your killing potential. I don't see the point of arguing here, you're obviously convinced you're right. Have fun doing that, I'll just see how dual wielding will turn out and judge for myself when the game comes out.
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776087:date=Jun 24 2010, 08:23 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 24 2010, 08:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, considering the fact that all you do is flame people who don't think like you, I'm pretty sure he's right when he says it's useless to try and argue with you. Judging by your general attitude on the forum, I can see that you're just trying to show off your skill and knowledge of the game. Needless to say, I doubt that this would be good argumentation.

Arguments in favor of independent firing have been given. You've tried to shoot down all of them by saying that it's always best to kill things fast, and then that because you have perfect aim, you're convinced that something as benign as tightening an extra muscle on your middle finger will suddenly make you lose all your killing potential. I don't see the point of arguing here, you're obviously convinced you're right. Have fun doing that, I'll just see how dual wielding will turn out and judge for myself when the game comes out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I said, best to just ignore him, entirely. If you're not convinced of this, just look at his other posts - he is uniformly a malicious sycophant. And he actually thinks his indolent knowledge of language equates to intelligence. I could, for example, respond and say that he did nothing but contribute negative and inflammatory commentary in this thread and never agreed with the consensus conclusion of the tangent in this thread - and comment that his general productivity on this forum is a net loss. But, really, any response has no purpose. He'll just throw back quips without reference, claim superiority (by adding inane phrases he imagines makes him look smart) and continue on. Just look at this thread, if you trace back he's the entire source of negativity.

It's sad really, but best just to lock this thread if an admin is handy.

edit: PV
    <!--quoteo(post=1776110:date=Jun 24 2010, 11:22 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jun 24 2010, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But, really, any response has no purpose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then yours is a response without purpose by your own admittance. Only an irrelevant blowhard proceeds to respond in length about how he's not going to respond, and then vies for closure because he cannot present valid points.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776128:date=Jun 25 2010, 07:55 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 25 2010, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then yours is a response without purpose by your own admittance. Only an irrelevant blowhard proceeds to respond in length about how he's not going to respond, and then vies for closure because he cannot present valid points.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See, he wasn't responding to you, he was giving good advise to others as how to handle your continual negativity. When he said no response has a purpose he was clearly being sarcastic about the way you base all your arguments against people. Tell them they have no purpose or are baseless and then proceed to insult the person rather than giving any actual point yourself. It's not normal for someone to keep ending up in fights with people on forums, unless they are a problem themselves. Does it really make you feel good to sit in front of your computer with the thesaurus open to dish wordy witty insults and contribute nothing useful to the forums?

I hate getting in the middle of stuff like this but it's getting really frustrating seeing you in every thread flaming people.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--># Please behave politely at all times. That means refraining from swearing and <b>disrespectful</b> comments (racist, homophobic, religious, <b>etc.</b>).
    # Our admins (whom are elected from the community) reserve the right to temporarily restrict or ban any people, accounts or IP addresses in response to behavior that violates these rules. However, our admins shall be gentle and reasonable and will use their discretion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See where this is going?
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776135:date=Jun 25 2010, 07:26 AM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Jun 25 2010, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate getting in the middle of stuff like this but it's getting really frustrating seeing you in every thread flaming people.
    See where this is going?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nor was I responding to you, but instead of shoving yourself in here unaware, have the courtesy to actually read the topic, you may learn something:

<!--quoteo(post=1775025:date=Jun 16 2010, 02:59 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 16 2010, 02:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I strongly hope you guys will reconsider and make them both fire on Attack1. As Zek mentioned, using a non-primary key for primary-like attacks is frustrating since most players have one key/button (i.e. LMB) that they will favour for attacking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Page #2: I and several others express this viewpoint. Discussion is civil.

<!--quoteo(post=1775063:date=Jun 16 2010, 09:43 AM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jun 16 2010, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be good to have the option to assign a single key to both weapons, but <u><b>any reasonable person will</u></b> realize the advantage in having separate fire buttons.
    Back to the topic!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Page #2: <i>"You do not agree with me, ergo you are not a reasonable person"</i>. Notice the characteristically odious attempts to steer the discussion away only <i>after</i> the ad hominem is planted.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--># Please behave politely at all times. That means refraining from swearing and <b>disrespectful comments</b> (racist, homophobic, religious, etc.).
    # Our admins (whom are elected from the community) reserve the right to temporarily restrict or ban any people, accounts or IP addresses in response to behavior that violates these rules. However, our admins shall be gentle and reasonable and will use their discretion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See where this is going?

<!--coloro:lightgrey--><span style="color:lightgrey"><!--/coloro--><i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->- as no more discussion is forthcoming, I see no value in responding further; and unlike another's empty claim to do so, I intend not to.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1776135:date=Jun 25 2010, 08:26 AM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Jun 25 2010, 08:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->See where this is going?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wishful thinking, alas.
  • ShataiShatai Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11614Members, Constellation
    You can barely get anybody to use one welder, let alone two.
  • MrMakaveliMrMakaveli Join Date: 2004-05-06 Member: 28509Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774993:date=Jun 15 2010, 08:26 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 15 2010, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mouse 1 fires the left gun and mouse2 fires the right, is the current plan.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sucks. I use mouse2 to jump. :(
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777645:date=Jul 9 2010, 09:05 PM:name=MrMakaveli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrMakaveli @ Jul 9 2010, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sucks. I use mouse2 to jump. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you not know how to bind keys?

Or use a 5 Button Mouse?

Bind +attack2 to MOUSE4/5 or something. Buy a MX518 Gaming Edition if you do not already have a Gaming Mouse.

The MX518 Gaming Edition by Logitech is reliable and has the best amount of features compared to $$$ value(in my opinion).
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
  • MrMakaveliMrMakaveli Join Date: 2004-05-06 Member: 28509Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777653:date=Jul 10 2010, 12:18 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Jul 10 2010, 12:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you not know how to bind keys?

Or use a 5 Button Mouse?

Bind +attack2 to MOUSE4/5 or something. Buy a MX518 Gaming Edition if you do not already have a Gaming Mouse.

The MX518 Gaming Edition by Logitech is reliable and has the best amount of features compared to $$$ value(in my opinion).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I know how to bind guys. The reason I am upset is because mouse1 and mouse2 would work great for dual wield, but I won't be able to do this as I use mouse2 to jump. Rebinding +attack2 to another key is going to feel really counter intuitive when trying to shoot both weapons at once.

Dual wield is a bad idea imo.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777645:date=Jul 10 2010, 06:05 AM:name=MrMakaveli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrMakaveli @ Jul 10 2010, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sucks. I use mouse2 to jump. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, agreed.
    I move forward with mouse1, imagine how that sucks..srsly..
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    Sounds like run-n-gun to me. What's wrong with that? :D