Universal sections

RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
Are there going to be sections of the official maps that are going to be used univerally? Like the tram tunnel in NS2_tram, will the same tunnel be used in other maps with a tram or are all of them going to be different for the most part?

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Can't imagine why you'd reuse entire sections, the entire point of the editor is how fast you can make things, plus if you reuse a huge section like the tram tunnel you're going to affect the layout of any map it's present in. A map with the tram tunnel in it would basically be tram with a few room changes, because the entire layout centers around the tunnel.

The difficulty is not so much making rooms, it's knowing what to make, if you know what you need to make you can make it in hours.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Because the first set of maps are all in the same facility, they do "reference" each other to give a sense of continuity and place. So some things from Tram do appear in another map, but they aren't large sections, and each of the maps has a distinct look and feel.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    edited June 2010
    Ok thanks Insane. I was wondering because I was considering having part of a tram tunnel visible in my level and wanted its appearance to maintain the same look as other tram tunnels.

<!--quoteo(post=1776066:date=Jun 24 2010, 05:34 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't imagine why you'd reuse entire sections, the entire point of the editor is how fast you can make things, plus if you reuse a huge section like the tram tunnel you're going to affect the layout of any map it's present in. A map with the tram tunnel in it would basically be tram with a few room changes, because the entire layout centers around the tunnel.

The difficulty is not so much making rooms, it's knowing what to make, if you know what you need to make you can make it in hours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was talking about small sections, straight and curve sections, not the entire tunnelworks
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Well it is easier to build things out of sections so you could make prefab sections like that and use it to build tunnels if you want, and there isn't anything stopping you copying bits of other maps.

Just don't really see why you'd want/need to.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2010
    At first this question sounded like you wanted to reuse the whole tram tunnel and everything Chris said came to my mind too. I think it was mainly because of the wording. You want to include features from certain maps in yours because it gives some consistency and that does make a lot of sense. I think by saying 'sections of official maps' and 'will the same tunnel be reused' makes everyone think you mean the ENTIRE tunnel (or entire sections, not features) in which case it would be like a tram spinnoff and that would just be weird and quite unoriginal tbh (but that isn't the case).
    Appologies. I have been known to make wordy and unclear sentances. I should have elaborated more.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1776080:date=Jun 25 2010, 01:08 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 25 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->..and there isn't anything stopping you copying bits of other maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except maybe proud and common decency.

I understand, when small parts are re-used in other offical maps as Insane described it, and I guess it also saves a bit of developement time, but ripping off those parts for your own custom map isn't the best thing to do imho.
    But aren't some custom maps going to become official maps? Wouldn't inconsistency from custom map to official map cause it to viewed as a mere custom map?
    Obviously credit would be given if it is required.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1776073:date=Jun 25 2010, 12:09 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Jun 25 2010, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because the first set of maps are all in the same facility.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's why they plan to reuse small parts and yes, it makes sense in that context.

It doesn't mean that all custom maps have to take place in the same facility though.

Also:
    <!--quoteo(post=1775476:date=Jun 19 2010, 07:05 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 19 2010, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In regards to those who feel this map is boring and not different enough, keep in mind that the majority of the textures, props, and much of the concept art were all initially created for THIS map. In that time we've released the editor with all of that stuff, and forum mappers have created a lot of maps with this look and these assets, so now it may not feel as fresh and new and different.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Imho this shows that you don't have to copy parts almost exactly to get a similar look, if you already use the props in a way they were supposed to.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    If you want to make a map set in the same facility, for consideration for official inclusion, then it's reasonable to reference the other maps and use small sections of their design. In the context of an original, well-designed map this is a perfectly reasonable artistic decision. Aas long as your work is distinct and original, I don't see this as being a rip-off.

But as pSyk0mAn says, there's nothing stopping you from having your own setting for the map.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about this too much at this point, as any custom map that was included would undergo at least one pass to make sure it matched the official maps in terms of theme and quality.
    ..one pass..?

Oh boy, no pen 15 node room again :D