Will there be aim toggling?

2»

Comments

• brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    Focusedwolf, instead of crying aliens were overpowered marines were underpowered all the time and never playing aliens, how about giving alien team a try in NS and seeing how "easy" it is for aliens to beat marines? And it doesn't count if all you do is gorge and build, try being a frontline skulk, lerk, or fade. You're going to get destroyed when you figure out that aliens aren't some superpower compared to marines. Just because you are a bad player (and there is NOTHING WRONG with being a bad player, some people don't want to spend time to get better or just can't improve beyond a certain point, it's not their fault and it's not like they're morally bad or anything because of it) does not mean there needs to be a whole bunch of additions into the game to make you do better and have everyone else suffer with low skill ceilings that level a stagnant game. Adding an aimbot skill would take out ridiculous amounts of skill from the core of any FPS game.

Anyways, back on topic that focusedwolf neglected for a pro-marine rant, I don't see any need for ironsights considering the constant tracking and the static accuracy of weapons. At most maybe if the grenade launcher makes a comeback which I really think will happen, there could be a overlay that shows the expected trajectory of the grenades. Other than that, ironsights aren't worth it for a tracking shooter instead of a tactical shooter.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I was going to say "how about giving the game a try instead of always referring to siege maps"
  • D@rd0D@rd0 Join Date: 2010-06-18 Member: 72088Members
    How about having a sortoff lazer as a standard crosshair and when you click the "aim down sight " button lines on your helmet gui shoot towards the dot forming a second crosshair around it zooming in. This would take like 1 or 2 seconds maybe if you are in close combat you'd use the normal crosshair if you need more accuracy you would have the time probably to aim down sight.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774848:date=Jun 14 2010, 07:32 PM:name=CookieCrisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CookieCrisp @ Jun 14 2010, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although in NS u usually find yourself pretty close to an alien, but maybe a aid wouldnt be that bad for shooting smaller life forms from a higher elevation or a camping gorge sitting pretty far considering there will be alot of custom maps which can range pretty far considering how flexible the map-maker is :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1775064:date=Jun 16 2010, 07:47 AM:name=nee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nee @ Jun 16 2010, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright guys how bout this: only a few weapons would ever have this feature, since guns like the shotgun won't benefit much from this feature. But for sake of a half-zoom say the lmg could be a preliminary stop-gap between more advanced weapon upgrades. Sighting by virtue of NS2's game style shouldn't hold such a position as being on all guns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The pistol comes to mind as the perfect candidate for having iron sighting for long range shooting, if we needed ironsight view. For heavier weaponry and the shotgun, no. LMG... maybe.

Something to note is that in the recent map reveal there is a much larger amount of open areas and large distinct rooms. So, perhaps the distances will be large enough, although I'm sure it will be cluttered with all manner of debris so that it isn't a free shooting gallery for the Marines.

So to summarize:
    <ul><li>If we DO have ironsight view, only for LMG and Pistol imo.</li><li>Personally I doubt it is worth it since most fights are relatively close quarter or Aliens with Hive1 Leap will close the distance fast anyways.</li><li>Laser sight add-on to make weapons more accurate would be a cool idea and could work. This is separate from having ironsight mode and personally I feel it should be one or the other.</li></ul>

PS, we may want to spawn an I&S thread on this soon.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i quite like the 1/2 zoom idea - perhaps for the pistol only though

there probably isnt any point in ironsights or 1/2 zoom at all though since the cone of fire will always have the same spread regardless of you zooming, aiming, jumping, crouching (hopefully)
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    I set my sights on you, and no one else will do, and I've got to have my way now baby

I want your love...
  • neenee Join Date: 2004-10-01 Member: 32021Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775511:date=Jun 19 2010, 06:06 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jun 19 2010, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i quite like the 1/2 zoom idea - perhaps for the pistol only though

there probably isnt any point in ironsights or 1/2 zoom at all though since the cone of fire will always have the same spread regardless of you zooming, aiming, jumping, crouching (hopefully)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a good idea; assuming the pistol is the only sidearm for marines just like in NS1, they will always have a zooming weapon for the larger parts of a map when needed, at the expense of being merely a pistol, while the other weapons are more powerful but lack the zooming feature.
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    edited June 2010
    If the spread while shooting in the Engine Test is any indication, I don't think iron sights will be needed. The MG is very accurate already.

And, yes, the pacing is far to fast for things like iron sights.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    Let's review:
    NS1 both had larger rooms and longer corridors and equipped every marine with a scope-mounted recoil-less light machine gun.
    NS2 features smaller maps and fewer corridors with no such weapons as of yet bearing optical paraphernalia.

Conclusion:
    NS isn't a scoping game, there is no "sighting-up", no use for quarter, half, full, whatever zoom; those whose only motive in games is to camp, snipe, or otherwise play Modern Warfare for what they pathetically believe is "realistic combat", need not apply.
  • neenee Join Date: 2004-10-01 Member: 32021Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775789:date=Jun 22 2010, 12:15 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 22 2010, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's review:
    NS1 both had larger rooms and longer corridors and equipped every marine with a scope-mounted recoil-less light machine gun.
    NS2 features smaller maps and fewer corridors with no such weapons as of yet bearing optical paraphernalia.

Conclusion:
    NS isn't a scoping game, there is no "sighting-up", no use for quarter, half, full, whatever zoom; those whose only motive in games is to camp, snipe, or otherwise play Modern Warfare for what they pathetically believe is "realistic combat", need not apply.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1 had varying map sizes, and the scope-mounted weapons you speak of has no recoil, but non-functioning accessories.
    I don't know what NS2's style would be, but I thought they were going for fewer, larger-roomed maps.

And as said before, I don't think the half-zoom feature detracts from the game, nor do I think it makes people camp. People can camp regardless of what weapons can do, whether its a shotgun or machine gun, they still can and do camp in NS1. If you're read the discussion in this thread, my idea was largely revolving around filling a potential need to magnify sight for sight's sake, as opposed to the typical sighting that requires adequate accuracy in other games. The purpose of the half-zoom I talk about should exist for magnifying the player's sight, rather than being some sort of sighting or accuracy feature. It would be identical to using binoculars. And I don't see how this feature, implemented properly, would inehrently lead to turning NS2 into a "lolz MW2" type of game.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    i wish people would just give up on this being a tactical shooter. NS is and has always been an arcade shooter. if you don't like arcade shooters GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE there are a million games for you and very few good arcade games. slowing down a game simply for the sake of realism or gunnerd spooging is stupid and irresponsible.

we already know focusedwolf just likes bfbc2, so go play that with him if you want to do stuff like camp and snipe or slowly attack across a large open map.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1776192:date=Jun 26 2010, 12:27 AM:name=nee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nee @ Jun 26 2010, 12:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 had varying map sizes, and the scope-mounted weapons you speak of has no recoil, but non-functioning accessories.
    I don't know what NS2's style would be, but I thought they were going for fewer, larger-roomed maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Precisely. They gave us the ultimate sniping weapon and environments in NS1, yet did not include a scope feature. Do you think this was purely accidental? Or that the NS1 suggestion forums weren't flooded on day 1 with people requesting a functional scope? No. It was decided long ago that zooming or 'sighting" is detrimental to core gameplay, and this isn't going to change with NS2. It's as out-of-place as suggesting a prone feature. People need to stop forcing elements from abroad into games where they clearly do not fit.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    I may not have been the most avid NS1 player, but I can't think of any time, EVER, when I felt like I needed to zoom in on something. I see no reason why I'd need to in NS2. In my opinion, the suit zoom in HL2 is the most scope any FPS should ever need outside of sniping weapons, and since NS2 will be (I think this is one of the safest assumptions one could make) a fair bit faster-paced than HL2, no scope is necessary.

I'd also like to assert my opinion that all FPS games made with the console audience being their primary audience, after the original Halo, have been a massive blight on the genre.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    I should hope not, there simply isn't enough time for it!
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    Ironsights will still conflict with consistent spread, as I don't see how the HMG or shotgun will be anymore accurate consider the HMG is a multi-barrel gun with consistent spread and shotguns have consistent spread. Only LMG and Pistol are viable, but hive 1 leap is going to make aliens be harder to trace objects with lowered sensitivity. And besides, if it reduces spread on the LMG people would just script it so they have normal sensitivity all the time and use the mode constantly.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776272:date=Jun 27 2010, 12:12 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Jun 27 2010, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may not have been the most avid NS1 player, but I can't think of any time, EVER, when I felt like I needed to zoom in on something. I see no reason why I'd need to in NS2. In my opinion, the suit zoom in HL2 is the most scope any FPS should ever need outside of sniping weapons, and since NS2 will be (I think this is one of the safest assumptions one could make) a fair bit faster-paced than HL2, no scope is necessary.

I'd also like to assert my opinion that all FPS games made with the console audience being their primary audience, after the original Halo, have been a massive blight on the genre.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i didnt see a need to zoom in ns1 either. in close quarter environments theres no need for magnification because it affects target aquistion and decreases your field of view.