Auto-Aim Tracers

spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
<div class="IPBDescription">borrowed from Dystopia</div><!--quoteo(post=1775296:date=Jun 18 2010, 09:15 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jun 18 2010, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there room for a zoomable/reflex scope (that we can just give it auto-aim because normal aiming is so-harrrd for NS players)? Yes, and the auto-aim would work against lerks and other fast movers. Maybe give auto-aim as a feature for the heavies also. And it even fits with the game on many levels i.e. motion-tracking = wall-hacks so why not scope = aimbot. Also despite what some people say, i believe the movie Aliens plays some part in inspiring both NS1 and NS2, so where is the "Smart-guns". Don't tell me turrets are the only aimbot weapons we get :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Holy craps FocusedWolf....

Anyways, new topic since FW seems to want auto-aim. The best implementation I've seen is Dystopia's Smart Lock Pistols. The alt-fire shoots a tracer dart. If the tracer dart hits an enemy, all subsequent shots will hit the tagged enemy. One tracer per clip. Slight bullet travel time makes the tracers harder to hit. Dystopia had these are a pair of pistols so for maximum efficiency you had to get both tracers in. Low overall damage so you either were a sharpshooter and didn't tracer or nailed both tracers.

Comments

• brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    I think Halo's needlers were better "autoaim" tracer weapons (halo did have a semi autoaim though) considering every shot traced on its own, it was slow and could still be dodged, and with enough needles would cause extra explosion damage. Not exactly suited for NS considering alien speed, but aim is suppose to be the crux of the marine team.

The problem with autoaim is it's either too useful or not very. This feature on a rifle would be way too powerful, but on the pistol it's still limited shots and if you can get the first shot off perfect chances are you could get almost all the next shots in anyways. I still don't like the idea of lowering the skill ceiling, and this sounds a lot like the original taser (latch on and then pump energy while they're in range).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I prefer inaccurate guns to autoaim guns, autoaim has a habit of picking the wrong target, whereas inaccurate guns are still entirely controllable, they're just easier to hit with.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    Well its not like there is only one way to have auto-aim to work. It wouldn't have to fix your crosshair directly on the alien for the entire time. It could be for a brief 1-3 seconds following the beep-beep-beep and flashing highlight notification.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I fart in your general direction.
    No way, auto aim is console crap, disturbing the balance between plattforms.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775388:date=Jun 18 2010, 05:24 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Jun 18 2010, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well its not like there is only one way to have auto-aim to work. It wouldn't have to fix your crosshair directly on the alien for the entire time. It could be for a brief 1-3 seconds following the beep-beep-beep and flashing highlight notification.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm thinking you and Chris are referring to auto aim like from GoldenEye on the N64?

The Dystopia one doesn't take control of your view, just that when you fire the pistols correct themselves (within reason) to hit the target if they have tracers in them.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Never

Like someone mentioned its console (singleplayer) stuff, hard to imagine someone actually considering this seriously.
    <!--quoteo(post=1775409:date=Jun 19 2010, 03:56 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jun 19 2010, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm thinking you and Chris are referring to auto aim like from GoldenEye on the N64?

The Dystopia one doesn't take control of your view, just that when you fire the pistols correct themselves (within reason) to hit the target if they have tracers in them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I mean autoaim in any form, it's a somewhat contrived method of achieving what can be done much easier with shotguns, or any weapon with good spread.
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    edited June 2010
    NS does in no shape or form need autoaim

go back to CS:Source or Halo or whatever
    edited June 2010
    I do recall the guns in dystopia, and I also recall never using them, I think I found the tag system to be a bit silly because you need to be able to hit with the tag before you can benefit from it, so it doesn't really make it easier to aim. You waste time with the tags that you could spend shooting people, and I'd hate to have to hit with a single, long cooldown attack on a skulk just to be able to hit it easier later, because chances are I'd miss.

Hence, spread guns are better, and much easier to make/use.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775446:date=Jun 19 2010, 03:08 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 19 2010, 03:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean autoaim in any form, it's a somewhat contrived method of achieving what can be done much easier with shotguns, or any weapon with good spread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I typically agree w/ the no auto-aim. Just making sure you were also against the tracer idea since that has been the only PC auto-aim system that even has a chance of working, imo.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775490:date=Jun 19 2010, 08:39 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jun 19 2010, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I typically agree w/ the no auto-aim. Just making sure you were also against the tracer idea since that has been the only PC auto-aim system that even has a chance of working, imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not too familiar with Dystopia. Did it have the system for some particular reason or was is just a more or less random feature?
    <!--quoteo(post=1775491:date=Jun 19 2010, 12:44 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jun 19 2010, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not too familiar with Dystopia. Did it have the system for some particular reason or was is just a more or less random feature?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was a very specific weapon. Really the main benefit was being able to track invisble players. Tag them while they are visible, and even if they go invisible you still hit.

The other thing was being sneaky, pegging someone from afar, then unloading two full clips into them with 100% accuracy no matter how fast they move or how far you are.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775436:date=Jun 19 2010, 03:04 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jun 19 2010, 03:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Never

... hard to imagine someone actually considering this seriously.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You've never met Wolf.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    I tend to turn autoaim off when it's on in games for improved accuracy ^^.

It's handy on consoles but as long as i have my trusty mouse it's a nuisance.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    even fw must have been joking autoaim is retarded.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1775315:date=Jun 18 2010, 07:01 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jun 18 2010, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy craps FocusedWolf....

Anyways, new topic since FW seems to want auto-aim. The best implementation I've seen is Dystopia's Smart Lock Pistols. The alt-fire shoots a tracer dart. If the tracer dart hits an enemy, all subsequent shots will hit the tagged enemy. One tracer per clip. Slight bullet travel time makes the tracers harder to hit. Dystopia had these are a pair of pistols so for maximum efficiency you had to get both tracers in. Low overall damage so you either were a sharpshooter and didn't tracer or nailed both tracers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you play Dystopia, I mean, currently? This is totally not related, I'm just asking.

It certainly does work decently well in Dystopia, since its only equipped by the lightest class which gets blasted the second its noticed, so you either use Stealth or Sound Suppressor, both of which give you a second to get both tracers in then strafe like a bad man and hold down mouse 1. This, and the fact that it doesn't do amazing damage, keeps it from being overpowered in even the slightest (considering its basically auto aim) (its basically the worst weapon in the game).

But...it could maybe fit into NS2 thanks to the spread out damage types. Give the particular gun a specific damage type to control how it affects alien lifeforms across the board (whether it would be op/not op against fast-light moving targets/heavy slow targets is up for debate).

That being said, it really only works in Dystopia as a stealthy takedown for a single target. I don't really see a single marine needing to stealthily take out aliens with anything else than he already has (lmg/shotgun/pistol), since the marines are more team oriented. They don't run around cloaked so they can sneak two tracer rounds into a fade and stealth-kill him...thats kind of backwards.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The point of those tracer rounds is to give that rapid fire akimbo pistols at least SOME use, as they are quite inacurate if you try to shoot a small cluster of dots on the other side of the map.
    Reason to be that far away? You're ground to mincemeat if you're not.

I can imagine that for a gorge, tagging a group of marines with an area effect and i.e. a lerk gasing them with accuracy (spore cloud hunts targets and maybe even splits up).
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    I am 100% against the auto-aim FocusedWolf is suggesting.

As for the Dystopia stuff, the technology TSA makes the idea plausible in the fiction's context, but fitting within the game would be a hard move.
    <!--quoteo(post=1775491:date=Jun 19 2010, 08:44 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jun 19 2010, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not too familiar with Dystopia. Did it have the system for some particular reason or was is just a more or less random feature?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's the smartgun from aliens, basically, except you have to tag enemies first before it kicks in.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    But if the noobs do not have auto aim how do they beat the uber 1337 hakzor that has aimbots!? See you need aimbot so it is fair for everyone!

rofl
  • ackeracker Join Date: 2010-03-10 Member: 70915Members
    edited June 2010
    Don't support the idea, copying Dystopia...I don't think it could work.

Dystopia Smart-Lock auto-aim on some sort of low-damage weapon could be acceptable, as long as it took skill and risk to plant the "tracer" in the first place. Maybe the "tracer" is a grenade type for the LMG that <u>forces</u> the LMG to auto-lock against wherever/whatever the grenade DIRECTLY hits for thirty seconds as long as the painted region/alien is within LOS.

You accidentally hit a wall? You are screwed, unless you want to pistol/axe the offending alien (or run somewhere where you can't see the grenade marker, which is pretty much the same thing as death in a firefight).

But I see a near-impossible-to-balance weapon. So no.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    Let me rephrase, summarize, and clarify.

It works fine in Dystopia because

** It does little damage, and although being effective at single-target taked-own, is ONLY effective at single target take-down, and requires stealth to be pulled off successfully (being used as the lightest class)

In Natural Selection: Marines do not have the role of/need more weapons for single-target stealth take-downs. It just doesn't fit the marines (in the context of this weapon design)
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Marines should get the ZF-1 with Replay button!!!!

And to finish the job all the Zorg oldies but goldies! rocket launcher, arrow launcher (with explosive or poisonous head), flamethrower, my favorite ;), and the all new ice cube system!
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    How is this kid not banned yet?
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    This is one unusual thread
    <!--quoteo(post=1775813:date=Jun 22 2010, 05:55 AM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Jun 22 2010, 05:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That being said, it really only works in Dystopia as a stealthy takedown for a single target. I don't really see a single marine needing to stealthily take out aliens with anything else than he already has (lmg/shotgun/pistol), since the marines are more team oriented. They don't run around cloaked so they can sneak two tracer rounds into a fade and stealth-kill him...thats kind of backwards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, basically you've hit the nail on the head there.

As I said before, not a huge fan of auto-aim, even the tracer system.
  • morbidarmorbidar Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72660Members
    This isn't Xbox 360 or ps3... auto aim isn't something we need the thing with a mouse is the fact its able to quickly and precisely point at a target
    now just because some one has a little lower accuracy doesn't mean we should give people an aim bot...

Simply put the more you play FPS games the more capable you are at hitting those fast moving targets if you don't like it all I can suggest is you
    not play these types of games the fun is in the fast paced action and your ability to try an take down as many targets as you can there is no way
    that I would even consider auto aim.
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    Auto aim in NS(2)? Speechless.
    (Negative)
  • KeleshKelesh Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72574Members
    A reasonable middle ground here would be to suggest a weapon that fires a tracer that would raise the size of the hittable area of an enemy. So, there would be a small area around the tracer, and anything that passes through would hit where the tracer hit. No lock, doesn't last too long, but enough to make any fast-mover hit by it back off or risk being easier to kill, and basically irrelevant to larger targets. Any thoughts?
  • SquawkSquawk Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72535Members
    I think that auto-aim has to be out of the question. That having been said, an "autogun," with some type of HUD target acquisition system seems more than reasonable for a heavy marine. What does this mean? You aim the weapon but a small red cross-hair pops onto the screen when a new enemy is seen. As long as they are in your line of sight they remain highlighted on the screen and prioritized by an internal tracking processor. The system takes into account proximity, enemy type, and remaining health and issues them a target number. This technology exists and is being used by active duty solders, artillery, etc today. Thoughts on incorporating this into NS2?