TF2/Source FPS stutter

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited May 2010 in Off-Topic
My turn!

Since a few months ago, I started to have these weird FPS stutters. It's not a constant bad low FPS rate, just a weird stutter/s (every second a small stutter for I guess 10ms)

Thing's I've noticed during the FPS stutter are that when I enter a freshly load map, it starts and sometimes goes away (rarely). But when it does go away and I enter a new area of the map it start up once more... The thing is the FPS stays completely constant and during the stutter I hear a cracking sound in the current sounds being played (10ms duration). What's weird is that it doesn't matter if I'm on a fully loaded 32slots server or an empty local server...

List of stuff I've checked or have done:<ul><li>defragged the Drive and checked it for errors</li><li>defragged the Steam source files and checked them for errors</li><li>full virus/spybot/cookiemonster scans</li><li>firewall outgoing traffic check, just source (hl2.exe is active during gaming)</li><li>TF2 lowest settings testing (sound and graphics)</li><li>suggested rate settings for mah connections are set</li><li>playing without none-essential services and programs running (low system priorities)</li><li>muticore rending on/off</li><li>netgraph doesn't show anything weird</li><li>new drivers and shizzle</li><li>nothing is overheating</li><li>hl2.exe running on one core or two cores doesn't seem to make any difference (constantly around 50% when ingame)</li><li>no processes hogging the cpu either...</li></ul>

Running on an Intel PIV E6420, 2Gb OCZ @ 1333Mhz RAM on XP pro 32bits, ATIHD4850, SB Audigy 2. All in all more then enough to run TF2...

In other words WTF!

Comments

• SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like something I got in L4D2, but it became steadily worse the longer I played.

My solution? Got a new graphics card. The actual problem? Not a dingdoodley idea.

You have not found this post informative.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I;m also suspecting the soundcard though, the sound is kinda cracking during the stutter... And even in goldSRC it makes looping BG sounds scratchy... Just not in other games...
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Then plop out that bi*h and shove respective cables in internal audio. You might want to check so that internal audio is OFF when card is IN and vice versa in bios.

Far fetched: Run steam as "administrator" and try again.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, I almost forgot about the HD-audio onboard crap. I think I've also read something on the HD8450 box about audio... Might have a look at those two options indeed...

Also I am running XP Pro, not Vista. Logged in as administrator all the time anyways :P
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But when it does go away and I enter a new area of the map it start up once more<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like a lack of memory to me. Or a slow/full HDD?
    Other onboard soundcrap didn't work at all (well even crappier :D)

I disable netlimiter services, changed it to manual start. I need that for youtube and flickruploaders or else they wont upload properly. But TF2 now runs at least a little bit smoother...

<!--quoteo(post=1772624:date=May 28 2010, 06:57 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ May 28 2010, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like a lack of memory to me. Or a slow/full HDD?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Memory is fine, it loads around 800Mb of 2Gb with enought swap available, and running on WD raptor and 1TB spinpoint drives. HDD isn't loading during the stutter either
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1772546:date=May 27 2010, 10:14 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ May 27 2010, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My turn!

Since a few months ago, I started to have these weird FPS stutters. It's not a constant bad low FPS rate, just a weird stutter/s (every second a small stutter for I guess 10ms)

Thing's I've noticed during the FPS stutter are that when I enter a freshly load map, it starts and sometimes goes away (rarely). But when it does go away and I enter a new area of the map it start up once more... The thing is the FPS stays completely constant and during the stutter I hear a cracking sound in the current sounds being played (10ms duration). What's weird is that it doesn't matter if I'm on a fully loaded 32slots server or an empty local server...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I would try swapping in an old graphics card capable of running Source at the same settings if you have one.

The fact it's happening when you move into new areas implies the problem lies with writing new data to memory. Since it happens without any other players in the game, and you have a Pentium 4 (more than capable of running TF2), I would guess it's graphics- or memory-related and not CPU-related. Try turning all the gfx settings down to lowest and seeing if the issue happens with the same frequency, or if it happens at a reduced frequency. That might help confirm the suspicion. [Edit - NM you tried this already]

Like I said, swap in a different graphics card. You could also try giving your current graphics card (and its fan) a de-dusting to see if it's an issue with overheating. Failing that try swapping out the memory. Failing that try swapping out the CPU. Failing that try swapping out the motherboard. (If you have any of those luxuries).

Those are my guesses, btw. I'm not an expert on PC architecture.
    I've tried the internal soundcard and its sound is worse. I could get a HD3850 to see if that one hasn't got the issues... And there is some DDR2 800Mhz memory in that other pc as well. And judging from a random access memory violation today... The first BSD crash since about 4 years, I'm guessing it is the memory (should also acount for the new arealoading crap

However Memtest shows the memory as fine and dandy...

It also doesn't matter if I turn the graphics from high to low or even all settings to low, the stutter has the same weird interval...

I'll have a looksee if the other "slower" 3Dcard or memory solves the problem
    Somehow Steam cloud sync was enabled, even after I had disabled it at the moment they introduced it... Disabling it once more almost removes the problem...
  • ShzarShzar Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21098Members, Constellation
    This has been an interesting read for me since I've been having a nearly identical problem: I play TF2 or L4D for an hour, sometimes less, then it begins stuttering each second. Recent problem, too, it only started a couple weeks ago. I did find a cheap workaround in alt-tabbing and refocusing. Why that would help I have no idea. Good to know that Steam Cloud may be the culprit.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1772798:date=May 29 2010, 06:27 PM:name=Shzar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shzar @ May 29 2010, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has been an interesting read for me since I've been having a nearly identical problem: I play TF2 or L4D for an hour, sometimes less, then it begins stuttering each second. Recent problem, too, it only started a couple weeks ago. I did find a cheap workaround in alt-tabbing and refocusing. Why that would help I have no idea. Good to know that Steam Cloud may be the culprit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Al-tabbing and refocusing (in Source games) causes all the game data to be reloaded, which is why it takes so long. Other games/software are set up slightly differently, so data is retained in memory for quicker alt-tabs.

Steam Cloud may not be the culprit, I'm not sure exactly what it does, when it does it and what its overheads are, but it may just have been the tipping point. So disabling it may have just made the issue less apparent. Although it's possible that a bug with Steamcloud could cause performance issues.
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I read somewhere that Steamcloud is used to store your configs on a global server for you to access. If you use the sync option, so you don't have to reconfigure all of your pc's (if you play Source games on more then one system). Pretty nice, but useless for me. I only play it on mah pc :P

<!--quoteo(post=1772798:date=May 29 2010, 08:27 PM:name=Shzar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shzar @ May 29 2010, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has been an interesting read for me since I've been having a nearly identical problem:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The main reason I posted about this problem, where most forums just post <b>OMG I HAZ THE SAME PROBLEM</b> over and over again. Resulting in a thread with just that and no possible solutions...

Also, I'm playing in borderless windowmode because of multiscreen usage... But even in fullscreen the problem occurs, at least now with Steamcloud sync disabled, it is less of an issue. Heck I could actually backstab people into insanity once more :D However I do occasionally get an <b>OMG LAG</b> issue, which last for about 3-5 seconds. After which everything is back to normal. Thank god this is very rare though...

And I am suspecting some kind of weird Source incompatibility with my pc somehow... I mean I can play other much more demanding games, without any issues at all... BFBC2 for instance...
  • RehsaRehsa Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71596Members
    I've had a few different issues similar to what you have described, each had their own little fault. The main one I would suggest looking into, is blowing out or picking out anything you can see on the CPU heat sink. I normally see stuttering and things, which with a good GPU, normally lead me back to the CPU or bad memory more than not.

Surprisingly, this problem normally shows in either steam games, or more often WoW than anything else. Wow is normally where I see my issue with stuttering, and a good look into my heat sink on my CPU, and cleaning normally clears it right out and i'm back to normal. It has usually looked like a graphics issue with stuff having very intermittent stumbles that stay for a while, and normally only after i've had my PC on for a while, if I started playing games from a cold boot, never usually have the stutters til about 10-15 minutes later.

This is just from my experience, and never made a lot of sense, since the CPU isn't being taxed too hard and the heat doesn't seem to be an issue, but apparently was for me.
    Heat was one of the thoughts on my mind, but heat doesn't explain the other games that are running smooth. Also there was no dust or heat issues at all... It is just the friggin source and goldSRC games that have issues, which is odd as they aren't demanding engines :/
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    Get GCFScape and actually defrag the GCF files in your steamapps folder. The steam defrag app doesn't really do anything.
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
    edited June 2010
    I had a very similar problem. My game just stuttered like crazy whether I'm online or offline and even though i have 200 fps, etc. TF2 always has peculiar problems like this for me that develop spontaneously and (usually) disappear spontaneously. Two days before this problem showed up I couldn't exceed 15 fps. That went away by itself, luckily. TF2 was running smoother than I'd seen it in a LONG time. Then this developed a day later and TF2 became difficult to play. The day after that it was nearly impossible.

Hell, the game even stuttered in the menu! In the MENU! Really???

I have:
    Core i7 920
    6GB ddr3 1600
    GTX 260

I just now tried setting the hl2.exe priority to above normal, though and it SEEMS to have solved it for now.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1775305:date=Jun 18 2010, 07:50 PM:name=kuperaye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kuperaye @ Jun 18 2010, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Get GCFScape and actually defrag the GCF files in your steamapps folder. The steam defrag app doesn't really do anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually used that one for defrag

Guess what, today my PSU died... And I know a faulty PSU running on it's last limbs can produce some very weird computer issues... It has seen about 3 computer updates over the years and I guess it was indeed dieing over the last 2 maybe 3 months... Well I'll see how it goes when the new one arrives...

[edit]
    The new engy update did make it stutter less... But apparantly it wasn't just Source, it was having an adverse effect on some startup and loading stuff as well. Which really has me thinking the PSU was indeed at fault... Damn those things can give strange problems, while not actually telling you they are borked...