Steamworks coming to PS3

VenatorVenator Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25178Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Does this make NS2 on PS3 possible?</div>Based on the following article: <a href="http://www.thekartel.com/zylvin/blog/2010/06/17/valve_plans_to_have_cross-platform_co-op_between_ps3_and_pcmac_for_portal_2" target="_blank">http://www.thekartel.com/zylvin/blog/2010/...ac_for_portal_2</a>

Valve plan to allow PS3 Portal 2 owners to play with PC Portal 2 owners through steamworks. Since NS2 is using steamworks, will this make NS2 on PS3 possible?

Obviously it would be a lot of work to port the engine to PS3, but I believe NS2 on PS3 could be extremely popular and great for the future of Natural Selection. And clearly if it were to happen it would be well after the PC release.

/discuss

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it would be a lot of work. Not just from a possible coding perspective but from a control / user interface perspective as well. How is someone going to command with a dual shock controller?

PS3 does allow for keyboard/mouse play, I believe, but requiring accessories in order to play your game will severely cut down on potential customers.

Too much effort? Probably.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Pretty exciting stuff, but I can imagine that the differences in controllers would make it too much for PC vs PS3 users to handle.
    And developing for PS3 is supposedly <i>hard</i>. And I guess the developers-kit costs a lot as well. Maybe when they see if the game is a success on PC they may port it but as always doing that is never a good idea almost.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    **** the PS3!

:P JK! ... but seriously **** consoles!

:P
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775252:date=Jun 18 2010, 05:35 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Jun 18 2010, 05:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->**** the PS3!

:P JK! ... but seriously **** consoles!

:P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Second
  • DaggialDaggial Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43187Members
    still have to understand why someone has to play fps games with a joypad
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775255:date=Jun 18 2010, 06:14 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Jun 18 2010, 06:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Second<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Third
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1775228:date=Jun 18 2010, 02:44 AM:name=Venator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venator @ Jun 18 2010, 02:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Based on the following article: <a href="http://www.thekartel.com/zylvin/blog/2010/06/17/valve_plans_to_have_cross-platform_co-op_between_ps3_and_pcmac_for_portal_2" target="_blank">http://www.thekartel.com/zylvin/blog/2010/...ac_for_portal_2</a>

Valve plan to allow PS3 Portal 2 owners to play with PC Portal 2 owners through steamworks. Since NS2 is using steamworks, will this make NS2 on PS3 possible?

Obviously it would be a lot of work to port the engine to PS3, but I believe NS2 on PS3 could be extremely popular and great for the future of Natural Selection. And clearly if it were to happen it would be well after the PC release.

/discuss<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah right already one year late on their timeline, and u want them to port the game on a console which FPS are a joke on it. especially something like NS where u have to aim well and fast and move on the same time, noone will pwn with PS3 controllers.

break ur ###### ps3 and play via PC :)
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Playing an FPS with a controller works fine. Just because you have no practice with it and find it initially difficult doesn't mean it won't work for someone who is used to it. I would however rather play with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, being a game designer myself, making a game to play on both console and PC is not hard, however it really helps to plan for it from the start. Anyone who has played around with Microsoft's XNA would know this (however this deals with Xbox360). Usually for the input you would just check if a controller is detected and if so run your input functions for the controller instead of the keyboard/mouse. The tricky part comes with developing on a framework that is supported by the platforms you want. If you aren't doing this from the start it will be tough porting all the code over (especially if dealing with a different programming language).

So yes this does seem quite unlikely but depending what framework/tools are used for PS3 development it may be much much simpler than people realize.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    You need to pay a lot of money to be able to develop on a console, unlike PCs you can't just release stuff and people will buy it, you have to buy a license for the console.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1775282:date=Jun 18 2010, 03:25 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Jun 18 2010, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Playing an FPS with a controller works fine. Just because you have no practice with it and find it initially difficult doesn't mean it won't work for someone who is used to it. I would however rather play with a mouse and keyboard.

Also, being a game designer myself, making a game to play on both console and PC is not hard, however it really helps to plan for it from the start. Anyone who has played around with Microsoft's XNA would know this (however this deals with Xbox360). Usually for the input you would just check if a controller is detected and if so run your input functions for the controller instead of the keyboard/mouse. The tricky part comes with developing on a framework that is supported by the platforms you want. If you aren't doing this from the start it will be tough porting all the code over (especially if dealing with a different programming language).

So yes this does seem quite unlikely but depending what framework/tools are used for PS3 development it may be much much simpler than people realize.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can also eat a soup with a fork just "fine" doesn't mean that it's the best option....
    NS is like the best example of why mouse controls are better fitted for certain genres. I don't even want to imagine playing commander with a controller, reaction time would be way to slow. Not to mention aiming at small fast moving targets (skulks) or playing fade which requires <b>fast and precise</b> movements or otherwise you die a horrible quick death.

There is a reason why most console FPS feature light auto-aim and bigger hitboxes, it's also the same reason why cross-platform gaming with an FPS game happens seldom and if it does happen PC gamers get handicapped to even out the playfield (Shadowrun has more spread on weapons for PC players to make up for the control advantage). It's also the same reason why RTS games on consoles feel to sluggish and are often dumped down removing alot of micro management because a controller couldn't keep up with that.

Every genre has a controlsheme that works better and for FPS/RTS it's simply mouse+kb, for a beat'em'up/racing game it's a controller and so on...

And there is a huge difference between the PC/360 architecture and the PS3's architecture mainly because of the PS3's cell processor. Just because it's easy to port from PC to 360 doesn't mean it's equally easy to port from PC to PS3. You just have to take a look at statements from some of the bigger names in the dev-community regarding the PS3's architecture like Gabe Newell or John Carmack.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Porting to console is definitely not easy and definitely not cheap. Aside from the large amount of time investment you need to buy developer kit versions of the PS3. Not sure how much they are right now, but when I was working at my last company each one of those coast about 100 thousand dollars.

--Cory
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1775470:date=Jun 19 2010, 12:28 PM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jun 19 2010, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can also eat a soup with a fork just "fine" doesn't mean that it's the best option....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You've got to be kidding me did you even read what I wrote? Never did I state it was the best option not to mention I said I RATHER mouse and keyboard. And no you can't eat soup with a fork fine at all. Horrible analogy.

What is wrong with the option of a controller? We already established it doesn't give anyone an extra advantage so it's not like it wouldn't be fair. Some like it some don't just because YOU don't doesn't make it a horrible idea.

Again me personally would want a mouse and keyboard however I see nothing wrong with the option to support a controller. It would be quite simple to code into the game (I know this from personally coding games supporting both) even if it never made it to console. Lots of PC games support controllers too. A good example would be Mirror's Edge where precise movements come into play a lot and although I usually just played mouse and keyboard, it was fun to sit back and play with a controller sometimes too.

And also I mentioned I did not know about the PS3 framework at all. I just said depending on what it is it MIGHT be simple. It has been clarified that it is not though.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    consoles just aren't capable of anything except for mainstream(read:braindead), and usually gimmicky party games - they very rarely succeed at having any games as deep and rich as those available on pc.

they are fun when you have some friends over etc, but when you want to be immersed in a game, and really experience a theme you need a pc.

i've cycled through all 3 current consoles just so I could play the best games on each one and you know what - the games that might compare to the quality and richness of a pc game can be counted on one hand.
    lets see we have....

Metroid 3 Corruption (its good trust me!)
    Resident Evil 4 (oh wait thats a last gen game.... and had a crappy pc version anyway)
    and as for 360 and ps3, anything else that was 1/2 decent was on PC too (eventually)

I know the gaming industry is there to make money, but i just get this bad impression from consoles, like when you deal with a 2nd hand car sales person, or a real estate agent.

also controllers for anything where you have to aim? millions of people can be wrong. and they are - its pretty obvious that a large majority of the games were crippled so that they would work with a controller. why does every shooter on consoles have these strange looking blocks which don't look like they belong everywhere? so you can hide behind them? lol the controls shouldn't dictate how a game is played or developed. its sad.

i guess consoles are aimed at the family market(who can't tell a good game from bad game - oh look it has pretty pictures on the box), where as PC gaming has usually been aimed towards the gamers

anyway i totally forgot what the point of this post was.......

oh yeah consoles suck.

but if you wanna make a lot of quick money - just make a side scrolling skulk/fade/lerk/onos games for 360 live arcade and ps3 network :P
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1775487:date=Jun 19 2010, 02:07 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Jun 19 2010, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is wrong with the option of a controller?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is a waste of time/effort and most USB controllers do not need special options for games to work with them. Also, Mirror's Edge was notorious for being frustrating on a controller because of their sluggishness. Thirdly, NS is a PC game and is best used with a mouse and keyboard, thus we do not want to encourage the use of a controller which will only add to team frustration on-line when a teammate is incapable because he/she is using a controller.
    <!--quoteo(post=1775630:date=Jun 20 2010, 03:58 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 20 2010, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a waste of time/effort and most USB controllers do not need special options for games to work with them. Also, Mirror's Edge was notorious for being frustrating on a controller because of their sluggishness. Thirdly, NS is a PC game and is best used with a mouse and keyboard, thus we do not want to encourage the use of a controller which will only add to team frustration on-line when a teammate is incapable because he/she is using a controller.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Waste of time? Ya maybe but not <i>that</i> much time. Again, from personal experience adding controller support is not a huge undertaking. I would seriously code controller support into NS2 for free if the devs actually let me (lol I really could handle the job).

My wireless 360 controller is not sluggish when I play Mirror's Edge on my computer with the USB receiver (or other games for that matter). If the game itself slows down ya but that won't make a difference controller or mouse because it is the game itself running slow.

Also no one would be FORCED to use it. If you suck at a controller then just simply don't and play mouse / keyboard. I'm sure even the biggest noobs will choose to play with the control style that works best for them. A huge surprise to some: there ARE people who are better with a controller than keyboard / mouse. (although I'm not one of them)

I just thought it might help NS2 appealing to a larger audience? I honestly don't really care I will gladly play mouse/keyboard better than controller, it just seems most people's opinions here are from them finding the controller more difficult because they are more PC gamers than console gamers. I play both PC and console so I have grown to be good with both and can enjoy them both too. I personally feel I could play NS quite well with one that's why I fail to see it as such a horrible idea.
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    I think controller software should be made to support the games, not the devs having to spend extra time to support the controllers initially. Later on I'd be fine, but controllers should be on the lower end of priorities.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1775630:date=Jun 20 2010, 08:58 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 20 2010, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS is a PC game and is best used with a mouse and keyboard, thus we do not want to encourage the use of a controller which will only add to team frustration on-line when a teammate is incapable because he/she is using a controller.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A: how do you know NS 'is best used' with a mouse and keyboard?
    B: why does using a controller make somebody incapable?
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    ps3 is sickk i love it but i dont think NS2 should be on it
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    O fyi you ps3 haters..

It has keyboard and mouse support. gg
    <!--quoteo(post=1775652:date=Jun 20 2010, 06:12 PM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jun 20 2010, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A: how do you know NS 'is best used' with a mouse and keyboard?
    B: why does using a controller make somebody incapable?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Come back and answer your own question when you've typed all that out using a controller.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Since when was NS known as 'Typing Hero'? Voice communication is the bomb.
    <!--quoteo(post=1775799:date=Jun 22 2010, 03:41 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jun 22 2010, 03:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since when was NS known as 'Typing Hero'? Voice communication is the bomb.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Since when was any game that uses a full keyboard layout and mouse known as "Typing Hero"? 128 keys and precision motion is the bomb.
    edited June 2010
    Ya I'm pretty sure trying to type things out to the comm was more looked down on then simply asking over voice chat or the request menu. (which a controller could easily support) Not to mention if you REALLY wanted to type what is to stop you from putting the controller on your lap and reaching to the keybaord to type? (you gotta let go of your mouse anyway) So yet again there is still no reason why a controller would make a player incapable. (besides the person who isn't good with a controller or just sucks in general)
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775652:date=Jun 21 2010, 09:12 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jun 21 2010, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A: how do you know NS 'is best used' with a mouse and keyboard?
    B: why does using a controller make somebody incapable?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    its an fps, all fps are played best with keyboard and mouse. commander mode is rts, all rts games are best played with mouse and keyboard.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1775266:date=Jun 18 2010, 10:21 AM:name=Gregzenegair)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gregzenegair @ Jun 18 2010, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Third<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

n+1
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775652:date=Jun 21 2010, 12:12 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jun 21 2010, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A: how do you know NS 'is best used' with a mouse and keyboard?

Well, some people have been a bit aggressive with their answer, but the fact is that many feel FPS gaming can't really be done correctly with a controller (and I tend to agree). A joystick-type aiming system relies on an acceleration calculation (ie, to go left slowly, move thumb left a bit. To go left quickly, move thumb further away).

For most people having played with mouse accel, it is so much better that to move from point A to point B, you'd want to move the mouse from point A' to point B' on your mouse mat. Moving the mouse slowly doesn't change how much you move, only how fast.
    You're basically mapping the game surface onto your mouse mat, and so each screen position corresponds to a specific mouse mat position. Such a mapping can't really exist on a joystick (because it snaps back into position) so joystick controlling NEEDS to rely on acceleration.
    edited June 2010
    Agreed completely but I don't understand how this makes a controller player incapable? I've played a lot of console FPS games and never found the joystick too hard to play with. I could even snipe with it fine (which everyone agrees requires a lot of precision). I also will say I initially was REALLY BAD at aiming with the controller until I practiced for little while. No one is great at playing with a mouse at first either, it just takes time and practice.

I just think this mentality of controllers being hated on because 'it's too difficult' is mainly coming from people who have trouble aiming with a controller and haven't even bothered to practice...
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I'm not calling anyone incapable, I was just addressing point A. I'm just saying that I personally (and like a majority of FPS players) find mouse control much more efficient and appropriate.

That said, I'm also quite convinced that a controller player is incapable of achieving the same level of precision and speed as a mouse player of the same skill level. For the reasons stated above.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    Honestly, the only way this would work would be to strip it down and make it a Combat type game. That precludes the ability of UWE being able to turn a profit on the whole situation.
    edited June 2010
    Yes I agree a mouse / keyboard player is probably quicker than a controller player. By how much really depends on the player though. I bet an experienced controller player could easily own average mouse / keyboard players. This is why I don't think controller support is such a bad idea, however I don't think it should be priority in any way.

Also this discussion of controller support should probably be its own topic since this topic was originally console support. (which I much more disagree with)