Spect a commander?

MachiMachi Join Date: 2010-05-18 Member: 71798Members
Wouldn't it be nice if you can spect the commander? Or is it going to be hard to program or w/e.. Just hope we can spect commander so new players can learn haha..

Discuss.

Comments

• Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Machi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Machi)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't it be nice if you can spect the commander?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+2

That is all.
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    edited June 2010
    This would be a very nice addition.
    UW, please consider this for the final release.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Indeed a great idea for new players, but there should be a small limit to spectators so as to not have very new player spectate the commander. Dead marines should also be able to watch the commander mode while dead. But this might be complicated because you would have to inact countermeasures to ensure this isn't abused by enemies. Eg spending some time on the other team dieing intentionally to be able to watch the commander and where he has his bases set up, only to join his true team again after that.

And all actions must be visible to the spectator, the commanders mouse decal, additional popup menus the commander might have etc. etc.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    What is wrong with new players spectating the commander? As long as the HUD makes it clear that it is Indeed the commander they are spectating, I don't see any issues - I only see benefits.

As for team swapping... I guess that could be an issue. The only real solutions are:
    A. Leave it up to the server to deal with people like that.
    B. Only allow one manual team switch per game. Besides that, some some sort of auto-team-balance feature can be implemented in case the teams get really imbalanced etc.

However, as a player who regularly liked balanced games and did everything in my power to maintain balanced teams (as well as playing with other players who believed in the same thing) I can say that I've never encountered a problem where the enemy switched teams and gave us vital strategic information that we either didn't know already, or actually made a difference on the battlefield.

If you don't know what your enemy is up to anyways, then someone isn't doing their job :D
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Of course by spectating the com you can suggest strategies and advice, and tell him what to do. And now that their's multiple commanders, the spectators can be like the commanders of commanders.

So if NS2 has some limit to how many coms can be in game, lets say 3, well now we can take even more marines out of the fight because we just made it more interesting to be a spectator.

I'm not against it because i hate all of those servers that force you to get out of spectator mode and join a team! xD
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774916:date=Jun 15 2010, 11:15 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jun 15 2010, 11:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of course by spectating the com you can suggest strategies and advice, and tell him what to do. And now that their's multiple commanders, the spectators can be like the commanders of commanders.

So if NS2 has some limit to how many coms can be in game, lets say 3, well now we can take even more marines out of the fight because we just made it more interesting to be a spectator.

I'm not against it because i hate all of those servers that force you to get out of spectator mode and join a team! xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Holy crap FocusedWolf might get off my ignore list.

Letting server admins choose max Spec team size is a good idea. But yes, in more competitive games you want no spectators so that they can't setup Vent and spill all the info about what the other team is doing.
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    I guess he's given up on trolling. =P
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    Strongly agree to spectating commander + Demo Recording and such.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    I would really appreciate this feature for NS2.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Would be cool to be able to spec the com. Especially for actual players in between spawns, if spectating teammates is useful, to be able to rotate into spectating the commander would be super useful!

Also saving replays!