Kharra drag

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
One of the larger kharra classes should have the ability to lunge at a single marine, grab him by his foot, and drag him.
- The marine could still fire his weapon, but would be VERY inaccurate.
- The alien would not be able to attack or use any other abilities while dragging.
- The alien could only drag for around 5 seconds (based on adrenaline or maybe strength).
- This would be a limited use ability; maybe only once every few (1-3)? minutes (perhaps depending on upgrades or proximity to hive).
- The alien would move slightly (5%?) slower than normal for light marines, and much (50%?) slower for heavy marines.
- The marine would take slight damage (3%?) for every second dragged

I can imagine a scene where a number of aliens and marines are fighting it out. One of the aliens lunges in, grabbing a marine and beginning to pull his flailing body away. The rest of the marines converge on the alien and try to take him out. The aliens counter attack, trying to help their brother. Carnage ensues.

Comments

• RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    edited June 2010
    I like it. Something like this would be an expensive development detour but aside from that and any other issues it would be a really cool game mechanic to experience. I don't know if a game has done this before where you have an attacker dragging a live victim(both players) but something like would certainly fit the theme.

One thing I'd change, though, is the grabbing. Kharra don't have claw-hands, they just have claws so there is no way they could grasp a foot. But they sure could impale one! Also by being impaled the marine would bleed out when being pulled, and just plain hurt.

Something else to add. Once the marine shoots the alien's arm enough he has the chance to break free and escape.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd be surprised if an impaled marine dragged and mauled by aliens had the strength to get up on his own.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Originally, I thought oh gawds an incap ability.

On second read, I'm warming up to it. Would be an interesting way to focus fire or ninja away Marines form behind. Of course, this also brings up the question of why not just kill the Marine in the first place?
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Because they cant really kill you if you do this (bad accuracy). Send 4 draggers into a squad of 4 marines, then the skulk comes and eat them while safe.

I can see how it would be fun with some modification, if you play on alien team, but as marines, would it not just be annoying to be dragged all the time?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774368:date=Jun 11 2010, 04:27 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jun 11 2010, 04:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can see how it would be fun with some modification, if you play on alien team, but as marines, would it not just be annoying to be dragged all the time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that's my main concern as well. It's basically a pseudo incapacitate, but the Marine can still fight back, just in a very limited capacity. The time limit also prevent this from being a pure 1v1 curbstomp, but at the same time it can really mess a Marine team up. So, I'm still a bit cautious.

One suggestion from a friend is perhaps instead of "low accuracy" weaponry, you can either try to shoot or not. If the Marine tries to shoot, they shoot erratically in a wide spread from the ground. Kinda a flailing gunfire.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    What reason would the marine not want to fire?

I'm guessing this would have to be a Fade ability or an upgrade for the Fade which would change their damage type of their claws to Puncture. The ability, if it would end up being so powerful, could be given a drawback only allowing it to be used on the sides or back of the marine and would probably use up all or most energy.

I definitely wouldn't want it to be an ability that's so easy to use it is overused. It would need some coordination with teammates.
    <!--quoteo(post=1774482:date=Jun 11 2010, 08:14 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Jun 11 2010, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What reason would the marine not want to fire?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Save ammo for when they are released.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1774482:date=Jun 12 2010, 05:14 AM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Jun 12 2010, 05:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What reason would the marine not want to fire?

I'm guessing this would have to be a Fade ability or an upgrade for the Fade which would change their damage type of their claws to Puncture. The ability, if it would end up being so powerful, could be given a drawback only allowing it to be used on the sides or back of the marine and would probably use up all or most energy.

I definitely wouldn't want it to be an ability that's so easy to use it is overused. It would need some coordination with teammates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Only if the netcode is strong enough to prevent facestabs.
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    edited June 2010
    To answer the question, "why not just kill the marine", I imagine this ability would be useful when you need to eliminate (at least temporarily) a threat, but killing the marine would take too long or is not feasible for whatever reason.

For example, dragging Marines away from structures they are building are things they are welding (but apparently in NS2, players don't build or weld anymore...rolleyes). Or, you could pull a Marine away from that Gorge he is trying to chase, or pull him away from the door just as it closes, thus trapping him in a room full of aliens while the rest of his squad is none the wiser.

In this case, it might be an ability reserved for weaker lifeforms like Skulks or Lerks, to give them an advantage late game, and to support stronger lifeforms by helping to isolate individual Marines.

As for the issue of it being an incapacitating attack, perhaps give the ability for the Marine to resist the drag by pressing the directional keys opposite to the direction he is being dragged, as well as being able to shoot back. Perhaps while being dragged, the Marine's view should shake violently, as he twists and turns his body to escape the alien grasp. In this way, it may be difficult for a player to discern exactly which direction he is being dragged (and thus, being able to resist the drag is not an immediate counter), and while the Marine's weapon does not become less accurate, it becomes difficult to aim because your view will be shaking all over the place.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    Looking at this it actually sounds like the best time to employ the marine melee weapon. if it was quick enough say you switch immediately out to your axe and swing it once to detour the enemy and release you. This could definitely be fun to try at least.
    Now heres a question: What about dragging a marine into a vent? Thats pretty much a death warrant but it should be possible. Straight horror movie style.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benefitting from the EA sales week I now have played Dead Space.
    The melee quicktimes and the a tentacles dragging you across the rooms while you flail your weapon about where quite fun.

I do think that's a mechanic that could be considered at least.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    It was all going ok until you started coming up with numerical examples. Those are all out of whack, and just give a general "I have no clue of what I'm talking about" feeling to the whole thing or an "I have not thought this through" vibe.

Other words "devour" but where the marine is still visible and partially in play. Also I think they have an idea like this for Onos where he could grab marines with those side mandibles he has in front of his mouth. At least it look like the idea was there when they made they model.