Just tried NS2 via steam

ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
<div class="IPBDescription">problems</div>I would have reported these via the getsatisfaction.com link, but that keeps timing out and timing out (HTTP error 504) so not very satisfying for an already dissatisfied customer.... if you're paying for that service I should ask for your money back.

here I go with my first NS2 experience, launch it from the steam Games Library... Installing DirectX and physX... OK no problems there.

Bug 1) According to the menu vid i've seen isn't there supposed to be a builder bot projecting the moving light that floats around the main menu room? The bot is missing from my version. I just see a light moving round.

Bug 2) First time in-game the right hand strafe key was moving me to the left. Movement also felt "slippy" like moving on ice, or a low friction surface in HL. After shutting down and re-launching NS2 it was fine.

Bug 3) Sounds, particularly LMG firing sounds seems to be looping continuously, resulting in an ever increasing racket. After test firing the LMG I couldn't hear anything over the continuous gunfire.

Bug 4) Map Range #1, doesn't seem to have any targets in it. Range #2 does have targets.

Disappointed 5) When shooting at the tools & chairs scattered around the maps I was disappointed that they did not react at all. I was hoping to have the physX engine fling them about a bit when shot.

Comments

• TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Add this one to your list. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109795" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=109795</a>

Also 5) will probably be implemented, just we aren't even on alpha so why would they include that?
  • SnoopieSnoopie Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70600Members
    You being a member from "Joined: 24-January 02" It should make sense that you would understand this game hasn't even reached Alpha.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1773663:date=Jun 6 2010, 07:24 PM:name=Snoopie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snoopie @ Jun 6 2010, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You being a member from "Joined: 24-January 02" It should make sense that you would understand this game hasn't even reached Alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your logic is somewhat flawed. He created an account - it doesn't mean he used it, or even came to the site. At any rate, now he knows that <b>NS2 currently only has an Engine Test and is currently in a Pre-Alpha (dare I say, Pre-Pre-Alpha) state</b>, which means everything is a bug. Everything! Rarrr!
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1773666:date=Jun 6 2010, 10:10 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jun 6 2010, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your logic is somewhat flawed. He created an account - it doesn't mean he used it, or even came to the site.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Playtester with 3000+ posts... who's logic is flawed?
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Do we need to tie our steam game with our accounts here or something? What does play tester mean.
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    No, his playtester status if from NS1.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't think Chrome has posted for like 5 years?
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1773666:date=Jun 7 2010, 02:10 AM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jun 7 2010, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your logic is somewhat flawed. He created an account - it doesn't mean he used it, or even came to the site. At any rate, now he knows that <b>NS2 currently only has an Engine Test and is currently in a Pre-Alpha (dare I say, Pre-Pre-Alpha) state</b>, which means everything is a bug. Everything! Rarrr!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ChromeAngel also made an official combat map. I'll let you figure out which on it was, alternatively search your NS directories and it will tell you inside a file.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Heya Chrome. Haven't seen you for awhile!

Yes we broke some things in one of our recent updates. Right now it's not easy for us to release a patch so we're going to wait a little longer before we do so. Sorry for the trouble.
  • ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited June 2010
    Heya Flayra,

No worries. I see getsatisfaction.com is back up now (if sluggish). So i'll be re-logging these with the rest on there.

@Align : My last post was only like 12 months ago, it's not that long ago, even if you're counting in internet years.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Oh, my bad. It's hard to tell with all these old veterans popping in for brief visits!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2010
    I have bad graphical issues with the steam release. The first engine test ran fine. Many polygons connect to the wrong vertices, making many objects look like a rubble-pile.

Feedback link of the problem:
    <a href="http://gsfn.us/t/14bko" target="_blank">http://gsfn.us/t/14bko</a>
    So seems I'm not alone, though it's troubling that I have opposite brands of CPU and GFX of the poster yet still have the problem, so that's not good.
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1773584:date=Jun 7 2010, 04:16 AM:name=ChromeAngel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChromeAngel @ Jun 7 2010, 04:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bug 2) First time in-game the right hand strafe key was moving me to the left. Movement also felt "slippy" like moving on ice, or a low friction surface in HL. After shutting down and re-launching NS2 it was fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah this seems to be an issue with their first Initialization. you'll notice on the first load that some of the Windows seem to be squashed like the server browser and if you went into the controls section you wouldn't see anything.

Due to the lack of proper control binds I assume it causes the issues with moving etc. For some reason after closing the game and re-opening from the second time onward the game is fine and all windows/controls are proper.

They should probably look at fixing that for full release as it's a pretty weird bug.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    From day one the editor error I always get, and try out with each patch is -

I try to make a PFC (Parallel Flange Channel), draw the straight lines in, easy, put a circle in where
    the radius is and then trim that circle to form a shape like so - <a href="http://www.steelweb.info/GIF/180PFC.gif" target="_blank">http://www.steelweb.info/GIF/180PFC.gif</a>
    Then try to extrude it, bam crashes. Been like this since day one :(
  • jackcondonjackcondon Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71364Members
    I'm having a problem with steam also, i had the game working without going through steam, but after installing it on steam when i try and run the launch pad it either crashes or tells me that the game is unavailable. if i select the game through windows- it says that i may not have permission to access the file. Any ideas guys?
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1773584:date=Jun 6 2010, 03:16 PM:name=ChromeAngel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChromeAngel @ Jun 6 2010, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bug 1) According to the menu vid i've seen isn't there supposed to be a builder bot projecting the moving light that floats around the main menu room? The bot is missing from my version. I just see a light moving round.

Bug 2) First time in-game the right hand strafe key was moving me to the left. Movement also felt "slippy" like moving on ice, or a low friction surface in HL. After shutting down and re-launching NS2 it was fine.

Bug 3) Sounds, particularly LMG firing sounds seems to be looping continuously, resulting in an ever increasing racket. After test firing the LMG I couldn't hear anything over the continuous gunfire.

Bug 4) Map Range #1, doesn't seem to have any targets in it. Range #2 does have targets.

Disappointed 5) When shooting at the tools & chairs scattered around the maps I was disappointed that they did not react at all. I was hoping to have the physX engine fling them about a bit when shot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same bugs here.
    It was good before last update, but now...
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1773874:date=Jun 8 2010, 09:52 AM:name=RockyMarc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RockyMarc @ Jun 8 2010, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From day one the editor error I always get, and try out with each patch is -

I try to make a PFC (Parallel Flange Channel), draw the straight lines in, easy, put a circle in where
    the radius is and then trim that circle to form a shape like so - <a href="http://www.steelweb.info/GIF/180PFC.gif" target="_blank">http://www.steelweb.info/GIF/180PFC.gif</a>
    Then try to extrude it, bam crashes. Been like this since day one :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can anyone try to reconstruct this bug ? Cheers.