Something coming May 27th?

WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
The official NS2 website and pre ordering became available May 27th last year, do you think something special will happen this year in anniversary of that?

Personally i think we'll get an alpha release date.

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Yes, you will be able to preorder ns2-first expansion pack with translucent textures, high fps and actual gameplay.
    All special preorders will get a cookie.

Sorry, he was begging for it..(and I'm drunk)
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Crikey- I bought NS2 a year ago next week? :o
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    I think there's a little too much wishful thinking on the "anniversary of arbitrary event" front.
  • ValiomValiom Join Date: 2009-05-30 Member: 67553Members
    what's coming is my sad realization that I pre-ordered a game a year ago.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771748:date=May 20 2010, 01:18 PM:name=Valiom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valiom @ May 20 2010, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what's coming is my sad realization that I pre-ordered a game a year ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL

... here's hoping the wait is worth it
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771752:date=May 20 2010, 02:01 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ May 20 2010, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL

... here's hoping the wait is worth it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A Toast!

...also holy crap... really a year?
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    I remember that when I pre-ordered this almost a year ago I used to think that "Fall 2009" was so far away...this is so sad on so many levels..
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771746:date=May 20 2010, 12:51 PM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ May 20 2010, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think there's a little too much wishful thinking on the "anniversary of arbitrary event" front.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol
  • tertletertle Join Date: 2009-07-12 Member: 68117Members
    edited May 2010
    The ideal time for releasing some type of alpha would be around june 1st... just as starcraft 2 beta closes down.

I realize they are different genres but if I'm sure like me, lots of people will be looking for something to play while they wait for the beta to start up again.

I've already preordered but it'd be by far the easiest time for me to convince friends to preorder/play the game as well.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2010
    They will reveal the black ops armor and close down the black ops pre order.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Geez has it been a year already?

I remember pre-ordering as soon as I got out of bed the morning it was available, still in my underwear. I didn't want to "miss my opportunity for the SE". Could of slept in for a whole year.
  • IronFistIronFist Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58805Members
    It's certainly true that time passes much faster as you get older :/

As bad as it seems, I could wait for NS2 quite a bit longer. So far, it's looking awesome.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771773:date=May 20 2010, 07:28 PM:name=tertle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tertle @ May 20 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ideal time for releasing some type of alpha would be around june 1st... just as starcraft 2 beta closes down.

I realize they are different genres but if I'm sure like me, lots of people will be looking for something to play while they wait for the beta to start up again.

I've already preordered but it'd be by far the easiest time for me to convince friends to preorder/play the game as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lots of truth here.. I'm hopeful for a release of the Alpha during June but every time I think about, I remember that they probably have so much freaking work to do on it before it can be released... :/
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2010
    I think Natural Selection 2 is now in the top 5 list of games with the longest pre-order to release timespan of all time.

I am sick of waiting... Building ya own engine isnt as much fun as they thought i guess. Friday news for a next friday release (decoda) and so on... :,/

At least now i get tools i ll play with for an hour and then leave it behind for the 10-15% of ns2 preoders that can actually make something usefull and creative with it.

But still <3 :/
  • fleetcommandfleetcommand Hungary Join Date: 2010-05-20 Member: 71809Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1771854:date=May 22 2010, 02:19 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ May 22 2010, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Natural Selection 2 is now in the top 5 list of games with the longest pre-order to release timespan of all time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Beside of that, I'm sure that Natural Selection 2 will be one of the greatest games when it releases :)
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    edited May 2010
    <b>I need to be nicer or I'll lose my ability to post here.</b>
  • PstranglerPstrangler Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21198Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772098:date=May 24 2010, 11:43 AM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ May 24 2010, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you guys should start demanding your money back, i do not think that this was legal ... since it was promised fall of 2009. when fall 2011 come around, u guys might start crying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hush, hush. everything will be fine.
    I consider 40$ a small sum when weighted in all the time I rode for free on NS1.

My current hopes are at: open beta for Halloween.
  • fleetcommandfleetcommand Hungary Join Date: 2010-05-20 Member: 71809Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    ZupE891: Please don't be offensive here. If you don't like UWE or have any problems, simply don't buy the game, but please don't make our happy waiting days wrong. Thank you.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772098:date=May 24 2010, 10:43 AM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ May 24 2010, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how did you guys not realize that you where dooped into giving them money to start building the game.. they had nothing done yet as you could see in their stupid youtube videos.. I am defiantly going to buy the game, and I would of bought it a year ago if i thought it was actually going to come out soon...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew it wasn't close to finished, and would be released when it was, and I bought the special edition as I had never donated when I played the free mod and got hours of enjoyment out of it with the hopes that a bit more funding would improve the final product.

Of course how I see game purchases has changed a lot since I played NS1, and I consider a pre-order with a year or two delay for a game I will play for a long time to be a better purchase than the money I dropped on several officially released as completed games that only held my attention for a month or didn't ever work properly to start with (Bad Company 2). I might have been wrong in my guess, but without the pre-order I'm guessing the game would not have been completed anyway so as long as I get a game eventually (whether it is good or sucks) I find it worth it.
  • garvanigarvani Join Date: 2009-09-02 Member: 68678Members
    I too got many hours out of NS1 and because of this i donated, as at the time of playing NS1 i was in no state to actually pay for a game, that goes for the HL key i used to play ns1 too lol. Now im far more financially stable it was an easy decision.
    They deserve the money they get, the game will come out in due course and ill be there to play it on release day. Until that day comes i have better things to do than write troll comments on there website, belittling them for missing release dates.. Who cares, seriously, is it that much of a big deal if it takes a year longer than expected??
    Take your time UWE, i can wait however long it takes..
  • aringotharingoth Join Date: 2005-04-27 Member: 50304Members
    Though my pre-order for this game was only recent, I would just look at it as an investment. I know the game will be coming out, and becuse of the money people are putting into it, and have put into it. I know it will be a quality game. It will come out when they are good and ready to release it.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    all this ranting and raving about them missing their "release date" and saying the pre-order time-period has gone on for way too long is being done by all the people who quite honestly dont know what theyre talking about. first of all, when i think of all the types of things humans create that get "release dates" like games, tv shows and movies, its always the norm, not the exception, to push back a release date, how are you people surprised by this? second, UWE is a fully-independent and isolated development team that for the most part makes all it's own money to pay for this game's development. the simple fact that they can actually do that kind of thing almost all on their own is very impressive to me. they opened up pre-orders early so they could get money from their loyal fans who trust them to deliver in due time, no matter how long that is. it didnt mean the game was close to being done, just that they needed money help from the fans, and thats exactly what they got. third, if these complainers have been around for how long they say they have, then UWE pushing back a release date and taking much longer than expected on something should be nothing new to them. it became a sort-of running joke that charlie wouldnt tell us a date no matter how close (< a week) they thought they were. ive personally interviewed him on older releases, and he said the general consensus from the ns community is that they would rather wait as long as they have to for a great product than have them hurry the release and have to patch it with lots of fixes within the first months (5 betas of 3.0 within a couple months ring any bells?). this is certainly the case today as well, it just doesnt seem that way because most of the people who are happy with the plans UWE has arent as active on these forums, leaving the trolls to fill in the rest.

dont worry Charlie, youre true fans are still here patiently awaiting what you have to show us, keep up the good work guys!
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    I really made this topic in hopes of people sharing their ideas on what if anything special they think will happen this week.

With the recent increase in twitter activity i think progress has been made with the alpha, and that we may get a "year" report on what happen since pre-orders started.

Plus im keeping my fingers crossed on a planned alpha release date.

Or maybe even a teaser similar to the onos but involving the Fade.
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    nahh big update ´s coming May 28th cause thats ma birthday XD
    And its a friday... maybe the real reason?
  • CoestarCoestar Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16441Members
    Personally, I feel really lucky.

I am a recent pre-order. Right after I pre-ordered, the engine test was released. Lots of talking/activity from the devs and it suddenly seemed like the alpha may not be too far off.

That isn't to say that I wasn't aware of NS2 - I've been waiting for years, back when HL2 came out and people started bugging Flayra (I think it was him) about whether they were going to make a NS HL2 mod (I believe the answer was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"). Held off on the pre-order for awhile since I was broke for a long time, so I'm also lucky that I managed to get it before it was too late.

/cool story bro

All in all, I'm just glad the project is alive and kicking, and I hope the devs keep pushing the release date back until NS2 is good and ready. :D
  • PstranglerPstrangler Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21198Members
    Today's the 27th.

Happy anniversary pre-orderers.

I'm in the EDT zone, it's not THAT early here.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited May 2010
    Happy Anniversary to my pre-order! Yay!

<!--quoteo(post=1772098:date=May 24 2010, 11:43 AM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ May 24 2010, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how did you guys not realize that you where dooped into giving them money to start building the game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I was not duped into giving them money. I made my pre-order fully aware of what I was doing. I was helping fund the game. No matter how long it takes that fact will remain true. Also true is that when the game comes out I will get to play it and bring a friend! These are the facts. Beyond that, the dates of alphas/betas/reveals/release are things that I'm sure affect the lives of UWE employees much more than mine.

They are an independent developer, pre-orders help get the games get done. With big studios all pre-orders are good for is so that stores know how many copies to order and some other statistical things that don't really have anything to do with making the game.
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So its year already? And i used to think too that "omgomgogmogomg cant wait till fall" and still, nothing useful has been released for normal user. -.-
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772490:date=May 27 2010, 05:39 PM:name=Onozki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onozki @ May 27 2010, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So its year already? And i used to think too that "omgomgogmogomg cant wait till fall" and still, nothing useful has been released for normal user. -.-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Needless to say NS2 is probably growing to be a bit more awesome with every day of development that passes by... Heavy armor here we come :D
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771748:date=May 20 2010, 10:18 AM:name=Valiom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valiom @ May 20 2010, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what's coming is my sad realization that I pre-ordered a game a year ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ROFL

Yes... 1 year ago. Not to mention I thought special edition pre-order was going to disappear fairly shortly...