Ambient sounds

GISPGISP Battle GorgeDenmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
Just an idea that poped up in my head...
I know nothing more scaryer then out of place sounds in movies and games...
Emagine your 10k lightyears away from earth responding to a disstress call from a mining facility abandoned 30 years ago.
When you arive, you find it left mostly untouched but some strange none human footprints, and as you begine your search for the source of the distress call, you start hearing childrens laughter or birds singing, doors creaking, anything that realy isnt surpose to be on a spacestation could add alot to such envioment and make the differnce between a good map and a great map. But the classics work.
If the sound could play lets say every 5-15 mins at random intervals in a few select places on the map,i think it will have maximum effect... Youll never know when your going to hear it, and you might play the level several times before you hear it the first time...

Comments

• KhazModanKhazModan Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15500Members, Constellation
    that would be quite immersion breaking i think. and just sound wrong.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited May 2010
    Actually, this was done in NS1, They added the MP3 player entity and it was possible to trigger eary ambient sounds at random times either localized or globaly. I did this in my map ns_siege_generator. I am not sure if certain sound options turned this off though so people might not have heard them, even so they where not noticable when you where engaged in battle anyway.
    Also used trigger areas to set off steam jets (randomly not every single time) as a player walked past with a loud steam burst sound in co_reactor
    There where a hole range of ambient sounds in NS1 if you noticed them, creaking, metal stresses and so on.

You can see a steam jet trigger in the NS2 trailer. NS2 already has a large range of creepy effects indexed, we just dont have them to hand just yet.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    "They mostly come out at night...mostly"
  • PstranglerPstrangler Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21198Members
    edited May 2010
    I am sure it will be possible to set up sounds to play as loops or have them triggered by the presence of a player in a certain area.

I remember <i>(I admit I don't play as much as I used to, I buy too many games - BTW, I'm heading to buy Red Dead Revolver during lunch break.)</i> some NS1 maps had such triggered sounds.
    I remember easily an Alien 'chuckle' or 'taunt' being played when played when players reached a certain area. Same thing for a Marine 'Reload' sound as an Alien got 'this close' to the Marine spawn on a certain map.

I don't see how birds or kids could improve the setup in a game that is NOT meant to be a survival horror.
    Metal squeaking, thumps, machinery sounds, alarms... will add to the atmosphere
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Some of my best moments in NS have been stalking marines, just to leap right into there face and watch em panic and get there harts pumping.
    Trith be told i rather scare my fellow players then kill em :D
    And if i can create a scary atmosphere by sound alone, imagine having a lerk flying right into yourface around a corner...
    Or even better, make you believe thers enemies all around you.. Keeping your adrenaline pumping.