Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Decoda

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Decoda here

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
  • PopenatorPopenator Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68617Members
    This is something I've been looking forward to; thanks!
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Great news for modders.

But honestly we need that proper Fade reveal :D , it's gnawing at my very soul this waiting for the dreadlock shadow mantis.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Wow the game comes with its own code editor, very generous.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1771265:date=May 14 2010, 11:03 PM:name=Cruor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cruor @ May 14 2010, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great news for modders.

But honestly we need that proper Fade reveal :D , it's gnawing at my very soul this waiting for the dreadlock shadow mantis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is what we all want...

Anyway, thanks for the update :)
  • kflow47kflow47 Join Date: 2008-10-09 Member: 65154Members
    Wow thank you very much, NS2 will rock even more !!! :D
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not to sound like an ingrate but isn't there enough design relatively finished on the final game to do Friday updates that are more interesting to players? There are a bunch of easy little things you could do that would fill a lot of time until the alpha when it won't really be necessary anymore. For example, a quick picture and description of a new structure/weapon each week, descriptions of the two commanders, game mechanics like dynamic infestation, or any other random little thing that's different in NS2. That's what people really want to see, but other than the alien reveals we've gotten virtually nothing on NS2 proper in a long time.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"We're happy to announce that we will be including a special version of Decoda with Natural Selection 2. This version of Decoda will be shipping along with all of the other tools in a Steam update next week."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wonder what "special version" means.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1771272:date=May 15 2010, 05:05 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ May 15 2010, 05:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to sound like an ingrate but isn't there enough design relatively finished on the final game to do Friday updates that are more interesting to players? There are a bunch of easy little things you could do that would fill a lot of time until the alpha when it won't really be necessary anymore. For example, a quick picture and description of a new structure/weapon each week, descriptions of the two commanders, game mechanics like dynamic infestation, or any other random little thing that's different in NS2. That's what people really want to see, but other than the alien reveals we've gotten virtually nothing on NS2 proper in a long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This version of Decoda will be shipping along with all of the other tools in a Steam update <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->next week<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

owww :)
  • kflow47kflow47 Join Date: 2008-10-09 Member: 65154Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771278:date=May 15 2010, 04:47 AM:name=goblin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goblin @ May 15 2010, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->owww :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ya its funny they give us a update that is a preview for the next update lol! But anyways its really cool
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    Oh SNAP!

They got us again.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1771272:date=May 15 2010, 03:05 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ May 15 2010, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to sound like an ingrate but isn't there enough design relatively finished on the final game to do Friday updates that are more interesting to players? There are a bunch of easy little things you could do that would fill a lot of time until the alpha when it won't really be necessary anymore. For example, a quick picture and description of a new structure/weapon each week, descriptions of the two commanders, game mechanics like dynamic infestation, or any other random little thing that's different in NS2. That's what people really want to see, but other than the alien reveals we've gotten virtually nothing on NS2 proper in a long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Friday update rage!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771272:date=May 15 2010, 04:05 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ May 15 2010, 04:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to sound like an ingrate but isn't there enough design relatively finished on the final game to do Friday updates that are more interesting to players? There are a bunch of easy little things you could do that would fill a lot of time until the alpha when it won't really be necessary anymore. For example, a quick picture and description of a new structure/weapon each week, descriptions of the two commanders, game mechanics like dynamic infestation, or any other random little thing that's different in NS2. That's what people really want to see, but other than the alien reveals we've gotten virtually nothing on NS2 proper in a long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I'd definitely appreciate some occassional gameplay reveals too. It has been probably more than 2 months since any real gameplay details.

If the only content in friday reveal is the preview of the next reveal, they might as well move to a 2-week reveal circle with better content. It's nice they do these, but I'd rather have them because they actually have some interesting content, not just for the sake of having an update every week.
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    "next week" ...ARRRRRR :D
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771272:date=May 15 2010, 04:05 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ May 15 2010, 04:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to sound like an ingrate but isn't there enough design relatively finished on the final game to do Friday updates that are more interesting to players? There are a bunch of easy little things you could do that would fill a lot of time until the alpha when it won't really be necessary anymore. For example, a quick picture and description of a new structure/weapon each week, descriptions of the two commanders, game mechanics like dynamic infestation, or any other random little thing that's different in NS2. That's what people really want to see, but other than the alien reveals we've gotten virtually nothing on NS2 proper in a long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cool stuff for modders I guess nothing that I really understand or care for, zek over here got a really good point.
    good job otherwise.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    Yeah it would be much appreciated if there was an update in the future that appealed to more than a small percentage of your player base.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited May 2010
    Heh, most of the posts is about how people wanted another update XD.

I like this update, altough I like to code. I just wonder, is this "special version" of decoda better then notepad++?

Also, will there be a way to easily code while ingame and just run a console command to reload the file? Cause that would be awesome.
    Preferably also console command to tell ns2 to reload a target folder, so it check if it contain any new folders in it, or added/removed files.
    As an example, add a mod to gmod, and you have to restart for it to even be noticed.
    Altough I am not sure if this would be possible.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    I'm more than convinced that the alpha won't show up until Halloween Day :facepalm:
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All the modding stuff is great and such but not every buyer of this game is a mooder so some little stuff for the players would be cool, too.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    Yay I've been waiting for the Decoda release.

But this isn't news is it (except for the release date)?
    I could swear that there was a statement like "We'll be releasing Decoda with NS2." on one of the about pages for at least a year, but of course now I can't find it.

Ok, found it:

<!--QuoteBegin-FAQ+ August 2008--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FAQ @ August 2008)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->We are also shipping a game debugger and all our own script code with the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    All the modding stuff being released has me questioning if NS2 is a game or a platform to make games on.
  • AshkajioniAshkajioni Ashkajioni Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13995Members
    Well when NS1 was in its hayday, I remember the server list looking somthing like 1/6 normal servers, 1/6 Clan/Serious/passworded, 1/3 Dead servers, <u>1/3 Custom maps etc.</u>. So Im sure decoda will please a good number of people.

Glad to see theres still progress being made~ Even if its not on the actual gameplay yet. I'll be checking back in every few weeks :] Still patiently waiting for a release date.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1771311:date=May 15 2010, 03:28 PM:name=WarLover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WarLover @ May 15 2010, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All the modding stuff being released has me questioning if NS2 is a game or a platform to make games on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Natural Selection 2 is the game, the engine is called Spark.

Why not promote your engine of your upcoming game? It's smart. Not only is it smart but from what I can see NS2 is the first FPS game with a massive amount of code, I remember hearing 80% or so somewhere before, to consist in LUA. So the technology needs promoted, because modders can use it to make free modifications and games. Equally it could be something that an indie developer wants to pick up and use on too.

The friday updates do come on the publisher and developer site, Unknown Worlds and not the Natural Selection 2 official site; just because you're unhappy with the update being one aimed more-so to would be modifiers does not make it any less an update. The community is being treated as a whole when it comes to releasing information, that being said, you've got a lot more information over the development cycle of NS2 than you will from any games company. Most tend to release a <i>beta</i> trailer and then a trailer right before release, of which is normally an 18 month or so development cycle.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771311:date=May 15 2010, 04:28 PM:name=WarLover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WarLover @ May 15 2010, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All the modding stuff being released has me questioning if NS2 is a game or a platform to make games on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both !!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Please understand that we are all VERY busy trying to get something playable into your hands as soon as possible, and to adequately put together a Friday update, full of interesting content for everyone, is time consuming and a distraction from the actual game at this point. Putting together renders of game assets, takes time, recording out game footage takes even more time, writing up articles with accompanying info takes additional time. We are as bummed as you are, to not be able to release exciting stuff every week to keep our community engaged, but it definitely does not mean that there isn't a lot of exciting stuff happening.

Thanks.

--Cory
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    Where is the fade? ;)
    If I remember right (think I read this in a post somewhere), they hope the community will make alot of modifications, gamemodes and such, and intend to make it as easy as possible for said community. They will however still work on ns2 of course.

So far, from what I have heard, ns2 will only be possible to compare with gmod when it comes to modding, and maybe even surpass it. Not sure though.

Infact, I would say from what we have already, this surpass everything but gmod on that aspect (almost everything in the engine test seems to be coded in lua, with the files availible to us), the huge drawback is that there is a severe lack of documentation.

Speaking of which, I guess I could share something I noticed today, if you need to remove an entity, the function would be Server.DestroyEntity(entity).
    Would maybe have made more sense with a entity:Remove() function (I tried that :P).
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771338:date=May 15 2010, 01:13 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ May 15 2010, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the huge drawback is that there is a severe lack of documentation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be silly to take the time to put together and release full documentation when so many things are still subject to change. That would just waste UWE's time and frustrate mod developers who have to change everything everytime UWE patched.
    I agree, but the community could still make one. The function I hinted about is one I found by browsing that "blah trough lua hacks" code.

I saw some documentation we got on a wiki after I found the function (wish I had noticed the thread linking to that wiki earlyer :P), but it lacks alot, and I have yet to find any tutorials there.
    the documentation is located at <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Category:Lua_Libraries" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...y:Lua_Libraries</a> incase someone wonder. All stuff the community could help with.

Ofcourse I realise it takes time to make a good documentation if you have not made the functions in the first place. Altough some are self explaining and just need testing on how many arguments and what datatypes they can take (like the libraries/Math functions).