Interactive flash?

CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
Don't really know if this belongs in the mapping or modding section but I was wondering if you the devs are planning on adding interactivity to the swf files that are displayed on monitors etc.

For example having screens with a buttons that through lua coding will trigger certain events and actions in the map etc. That sort of thing. Buttons for closing certain bulkheads. Launching a missile in a cinematic skybox. Stuff that directly influences the game or things that are purely esthetic.

That is all, talk amongst yourselves.

Comments

• SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Just say it, You want to stand in the Readyroom playing tetris. :)
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Lol, yes either that or Crush the Castle

<a href="http://armorgames.com/play/3614/crush-the-castle" target="_blank">http://armorgames.com/play/3614/crush-the-castle</a>

No but seriously pressable buttons in the swf would be kickass if you can tie it in with all the lua goodness.
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    would be funny. just think about it
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
  • SparkyMcSparksSparkyMcSparks Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71347Members
    edited April 2010
    Playing something like Tetris should be do-able if you have the src to a flash game or made your own, just have to tie in coordinates to a function in Lua that detects player button input and return a value.

You'd have to open the flash taking up HUD screen, I don't know if it's possible right now to play flash on entities/props unless there's some kind of special shader or texture you'd have to apply.

Pseudo code example...

<b>Flash</b>
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->TetrisPiece._x = ( TetrisPiece._x + lua( "PlayerUI_GetInput" ) );<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

<b>Lua</b>
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function PlayerUI_GetInput( input )
        if(bit.band(input.commands, Move.MoveLeft) ~= 0) then
            return -1
        else if( bit.band(input.commands, Move.MoveRight) ~= 0) then
            return 1
        else
            // not pressing left or right
            return 0
        end
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

And I think this is more of a modding thing. :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Ready room tetris, or at least some buttons in the RR that open windows and stuff or power on lights. Remember that light in doom 3 in the beginning when you're talking to those 2 guys in the break room, that'd be cool.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    edited April 2010
    @SparkyMcSparks

To my knowledge swf's are allready baked into most of the props that feature a screen, and it's these swf's that allow for the animated screens we see in the engine test. I'm merely wondering if we can allow the actionscripts in the flash swf's to call lua functions or interact with the map in other ways. Now this would demand that we would be able to move a cursor around on the screen to select and push buttons etc. and I'm not so sure that could be done through modding as it would have to be an engine core feature I would think.

That we'd be able to play flash games on screens in the Readyroom would just be an added bonus :D
  • AlleyAlley Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71334Members
    This is something I've been thinking about.
    especially for buttons, keypads, interactions with screens etc...