TrackIR Feature !

2»

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Well, I must say it _sounds_ intriguing (and maybe even useful in terms of looking around independent of movement), but I've never used TrackIR and stuff, and I don't know if the time to set this up is worth it.

So.... yeah.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1768094:date=Apr 21 2010, 08:24 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Apr 21 2010, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->eyes movement ? no point, because you have to look at your screen in 100% of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "No point" is my line as I can't understand what makes it better to move your whole head.
    Yes, you can calibrate the range (the smaller it's put the larger the movement per degree head turn), but I still believe it's better to track the eye's position and point the crosshair at where you are looking while moving the whole scene on screen with the mouse, not the head.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768242:date=Apr 22 2010, 01:38 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Apr 22 2010, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"No point" is my line as I can't understand what makes it better to move your whole head.
    Yes, you can calibrate the range (the smaller it's put the larger the movement per degree head turn), but I still believe it's better to track the eye's position and point the crosshair at where you are looking while moving the whole scene on screen with the mouse, not the head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what ive learned from image composition and eyepathing, tracking the eye movement for a game would not be an option and in fact quite inpractical..
    your eyes are real multitasking talents, even if you fix an object of interest they always wander around, in a split of a second they scan seemingly stupid , unimportant details, they gather informations all the time for your brain to compute.. lets say you focus onto a skulk and shoot while running... you check your ammo..you check your health, omg a team mate.. friendly fire is on..oh wtf ..i looked at my team mate while firing.. noo.. ive wasted ammo by looking at my ammo counter... NOOOO skulk ate my face because i looked at those boxes and the crosshair went off target.

you seem not to understand that using headtracking, is nothing else than using pedals for a flight sim.. its a way to keep your hands free for the really important thing, moving a control to a bodypart which was initialy meant for this task, its very intuitive to move your head to look around, i bet not even you stare dead center onto your screen.
    and again, i think aswell head tracking has no place in FPS games, it belongs to flight sims and racing games to increase situational awareness. flying a jetpack will definitely not work with it :p mouse and keyboard works so much faster and more accurate
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    Lets say you're on jetpack :

you are going on a safe place, forward but you want to look around

there is a skulk on the wall on left, but you dont see him yet.

Without trackIR :

you look left with mouse (and it make you moves on the left too) you're going straight on the evil skulk waiting for you, you're dead.

with trackIR :

you look left, while still moving forward to the safe place. You see the skulk, and you're alive.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    This honestly looks really crap.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768272:date=Apr 22 2010, 12:58 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Apr 22 2010, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This honestly looks really crap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be quite useful in something like armed assault which has too many controls for you to use at once and really crappy views in a lot of the vehicles (REALSIUM!1) but for something which is designed from the ground up to be slick and controllable, like half life, or NS, or quake, it would probably cause more problems than anything.

Good for immersion, bad for practicality in many cases.

<!--quoteo(post=1768268:date=Apr 22 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Apr 22 2010, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lets say you're on jetpack :

you are going on a safe place, forward but you want to look around

there is a skulk on the wall on left, but you dont see him yet.

Without trackIR :

you look left with mouse (and it make you moves on the left too) you're going straight on the evil skulk waiting for you, you're dead.

with trackIR :

you look left, while still moving forward to the safe place. You see the skulk, and you're alive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With brain: strafe right when you look left to continue in the same direction, just as you do when walking, or playing X3, or really any game with strafing in it.

Without brain: crash into everything.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    edited April 2010
    oh! you can strafe instead of moving forward and keep the same direction in lerk flight /fade blink /skulk leap now ? Amazing. ..... -_-
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768275:date=Apr 22 2010, 01:10 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Apr 22 2010, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh! you can strafe and keep the same direction in lerk flight /fade blink /skulk leap now ? Amazing. ..... -_-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With leap last I checked you could, because leap doesn't propel you, it just relies on your inertia, so you can look wherever you like.

With blink you go so damn fast that you won't have time to look anywhere and even then you could just let go and have inertia keep you going, and I honestly can't remember lerk flight well enough to comment but I do know that you don't need to strafe with it because you're far better off doing bombing runs or hiding in the ceiling somewhere.

Really there is very little reason to be that precise about where you look when moving at high speed in NS, because if you're moving at high speed it probably means you're going to take a while to slow down if you do see anything anyway, and you aren't being cautious if you're going fast because your best situational awareness tool is your ears and peripheral vision, both of which can detect movement much more easily than your centre of vision can while moving at a million miles an hour.

Besides, aliens don't need to watch out for marines, marines aren't very good at hiding, they usually stand in the middle of the corridor and look for aliens because better views = more survival in their case, it's aliens who do the hiding because they're the ones that rely on ambush and melee.
  • ClinkClink Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67728Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768075:date=Apr 20 2010, 06:15 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Apr 20 2010, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Waste of dev time for such a gimmick that will only get in the way for twitch-based FPS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Won't really work with the alien models, as you have bite-cam. Independent view isn't possible without a huge code overhaul.
  • DarknoodlesDarknoodles Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183901Members
    Pointless... ? really, people not even giving a look at stuffs speaking.
    "Would be better if the screen moves with the eyes, like some glasses"
    That's called Occulus Rift and does exactly the same as Trackir, instead it gives headache and cost 3 or 4 times the price.

Before buying trackir, i tried with a webcam and facetracknoir, and even with a latence, i felt how this could be usefull in a game. Now imagine without latence, and with high accuracy. That's what trackIr does.

"only for few people who bought the camera"
    Tell that to the guy who developped mouse look into the game. Try to aim a skulk keyboard only...
    Or to the company who decided to make joysticks or analogic sticks on controllers.
    To sony, nintendo, microsoft with kinect, wiimote etc
    That's just another step to game control that people are not aware.
    And i'm sur most of people who are saying that's is shitty, are using latest razer or logitech mouse or keyboard that cost an arm.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow