TrackIR Feature !

TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
Hey, i just wanted to know if TrackIR is supported on NS.

That's THE game where you need to look around, left, right, top, bottom... while you move.
So it would be completely immersive to have it !!
And it's very easy to implement.

For those who dont know what it is :
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ</a>

My dream ?

_ 3 Screen with extra FOV and Resolution (Ati eyefinity or Nvidia surround solution)
+
_ 3D vision
+
_ TrackIR
+
_7.1 Headphones

And that's this way i'll finish my life playing NS without moving from my chair.

Comments

• TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Okay, never heard of this before for PC, and it looks... amazing.
    Of course game-balance could be an issue here but I could really get that gadget and the games it support, just for the next-gen immersion (and it isn't for a console!)
    It's hardly needed for NS2 but I do hope they would add support for this simply because it would be neat.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    Add to this the marketting possibilities...
    I want to buy and play ARMA2 just because it support this.
    So if NS2 support this, others people will join.
  • wesmanwesman Join Date: 2010-03-17 Member: 70990Members
    Never heard or seen this in my life....Thanks for the link. It looks absolutly amazing, but I can't see it being practical or fair in NS2.

It's a nice dream...
    It's not less or more fair than having eyefinity and seeing all around you on the sides...
    Or having 3D vision and seeing more precisely skulks and lerks movement in the space... (to anticipate their movments)
    Or having 7.1 headphones, which can help you to localize precisely something without even seeing it..
    Or having a 24' screen against someone who has only a 18..

All is the same.
    Hardware is a part of the game.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    mmm head tracking....

LUA it in.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I've got my own home-brew head tracking setup using a wiimote, a bunch of IR LEDs mounted on a bit of breadboard (powered by USB of course) and a program named <a href="http://www.free-track.net/english/" target="_blank">Freetrack</a>. It's a free alternative to trackIR that works with roughly any configuration of hardware you can think of, including, until recently, the trackIR cameras themselves.

There's a bit of bad blood between trackIR and Freetrack. Essentially trackIR don't like competition so they encrypted the protocol that sits between their app and the API they give to devs. Prior to this any game that supported trackIR also supported freetrack, but now a game has to specifcally include the Freetrack (free) API if it's to work.

Head tracking is essential for playing flight sims, but I found it really disorienting and annoying when playing ArmA.

--Scythe--
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I don't think it's really worth dev time to implement something that almost nobody has and that isn't super useful in a fast-paced FPS anyways.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've done the Head Tracking thing with a Half-Life 2 mod, and you have to have a camera that can support a resolution higher than like 600x600 or something. It worked for awhile, but my web cam wasn't good enough for it so it didn't work most of the time.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Granted I only skipped through the video bit by bit, but, am I missing something? It seems that despite all the head movements (which is fantastic) you still need to keep looking straight forward at your screen? It just seems a bit redundant to me, but maybe my opinion would improve if I were to actually use it rather than just watching a video.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    This has been asked before. No answer, but I hope it's no. Waste of dev time for such a gimmick that will only get in the way for twitch-based FPS. What's next, Novint Falcon, or maybe ambX... at least Eyefinity is remotely useful once given the hardware costs, the rest are just gimmicks that are going to die in 2 years like 3rd space vest and Emotiv. sigh, gullible people and fads.
  • Crimedog84Crimedog84 Join Date: 2009-08-14 Member: 68485Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768073:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:12 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Apr 21 2010, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Granted I only skipped through the video bit by bit, but, am I missing something? It seems that despite all the head movements (which is fantastic) you still need to keep looking straight forward at your screen? It just seems a bit redundant to me, but maybe my opinion would improve if I were to actually use it rather than just watching a video.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why you tape the monitor to your face....DUH!!
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Considering how many other things that still need implemented in NS2, I'm pretty sure this will never happen. Nor do I think it's at all worth their time to do so. That is a ton of time and resources to put in for just a few people to use.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    its awesome for flight sims, but a pain in the ass for ego shooters.... forget about aiming .
    i´ve made one myself aswell, even made a<a href="http://yanai.blackmage.org/sky2/?p=3366" target="_blank"> lil blog post</a> about it explaining the rig.
    flying in arma2 is just awesome using it, but as soon you hop out of your helicopter or plane you gota switch it to toggle mode..the constant head motion is really messing with your aim.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    i'm sure the devs have other priorities at this time
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    just oppinion 'bout trackIR here----

I'll get one when they can track eye movement. everything else sounds quite stupid.
    Not to critizise anyone, but unless they have 60" borderless widescreen monitors at affortable prices headtracking is superflous.

btw, I think I could achieve the same with a wiimote taped to my monitor and LEDs attached to the earcups of my headphones.
    edited April 2010
    eyes movement ? no point, because you have to look at your screen in 100% of time.

The interest of trackIR is to look somewhere when moving and aiming somewhere else.
    My friend use it in FPS and that's just ... amazing.
    I think it's a lot more smooth than the Wiimote thing.

But wow... lie always, people that know they can't afford it, can't see the step forward and prefers to keep the game at their level...
    if all the game did the same, we would still play tetris.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1768087:date=Apr 21 2010, 02:50 PM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Apr 21 2010, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->flying in arma2 is just awesome using it, but as soon you hop out of your helicopter or plane you gota switch it to toggle mode..the constant head motion is really messing with your aim.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Waddah-WAH? How'd you get it working under ArmA2? It was one of the titles that uses the new encrypted trackIR API? Did you crack your exe?

--Scythe--
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1768094:date=Apr 21 2010, 08:24 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Apr 21 2010, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My friend use it in FPS and that's just ... amazing.
    I think it's a lot more smooth than the Wiimote thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you paid for advertising this?
    There must be a reason why nearly all of the supported games are either flight simulators or racing games. Think about it.
    edited April 2010
    Well you must be right.
    It doesn't exist, so there must be a reason.

Same with 3D movies, why did they make 3D at the beggining ?
    the should think "It doesn't exist yet so there must be a reason. Why would i bother to implement this for movies?"

The reason is that it's kind of new compared to the birth of video games.
    Same with 3D vision and Eyefinity technologies..
    Look at the link I posted in the beggining, u will see by yourself how amazing it is.
    <!--quoteo(post=1768097:date=Apr 21 2010, 03:55 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Apr 21 2010, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768097"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Waddah-WAH? How'd you get it working under ArmA2? It was one of the titles that uses the new encrypted trackIR API? Did you crack your exe?

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    nope i did not,
    the latest version of arma2 supports track ir and freetrack.
    you can pick track ir or freetrack in the options menu.

freetrack can even emulate track ir.... at least theres a setting for that, i havent tried that yet. i dunno if that predates the track ir encryption
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    I have never used my TrackIR in fps, but I really can't play flightsims without it anymore. Once you get used to it, your situational awareness will rise sky high :)
    Eyefinity would probably work better in a fast fps, but is also much more expensive (especially compared to freetrack).
    As long a you haven't tried it (long enough), don't bash it...

That said, there may be more important features to implement in NS2, so trackir support in NS2 probably won't happen :/
  • DaimoninDaimonin Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70748Members
    OK, I just had to comment here. This is the first I've heard of TrackIR, last time I looked into the technology was about 15 years ago.l It sucked a lot then. (I still have the helmet somewhere...)
    However the thing that strikes me would be plain awesome would be if you linked trackIR with any reasonable quality video glasses. The better ones of those can handle true 3-D, and since they are on your face, you wouldn't have to keep looking at a centrally mounted screen while making head motions. Of course Im not sure how many games out there actually support trackIR, and I bet even less can work 3D with the use of Video Glasses but still...

TrackIR + Video Glasses = Putting the First Person in First Person Shooters.
    <!--quoteo(post=1768094:date=Apr 21 2010, 03:24 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Apr 21 2010, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->eyes movement ? no point, because you have to look at your screen in 100% of time.

The interest of trackIR is to look somewhere when moving and aiming somewhere else.
    My friend use it in FPS and that's just ... amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are right about the screen, your eyes never leave it, and you dont even move your head that much, you can even look over your shoulder ingame without your eyes even leaving the screen.

the looking into a different direction while aiming into another thing is crap.... i mean its almost impossible for me to aim with hedtracking activated. its handy to scan your surroundings while reloading or when prone. as soon you got to shoot ,you have line up your view with your line of fire, and then you wobble around trying to line up your ironsight or crosshair with the target. .... now try both at the same time , within the time the enemy needs to fire first at you, friggen impossible, you never have really a feel for where your gun realy points at, right at the moment when you look around, in fact you even got to search your gun again, it doesnt take as long as it sounds, but long enough to get killed.
    also , which fps does your friend play with headtracking? since there arent really many games supporting independent head movement, or head tracking software... would love to know some more titles except arma.

always point your gun into the direction you are looking at, this alone makes a feature like headtracking pointless for ns, this games fights are just to fast paced for something like that anyways .... or any other fps.
    head tracking with a HMD makes more sense
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    I don't understand how this is useful. You have to move your entire head and then you end up looking out of the corner of your eye which feels awkward. Not to mention that I have to keep my head perfectly still just to keep my vision from shifting around. Maybe you guys sit like statues but I often change position. I don't see the point in supporting a 150 dollar camera that nobody owns.
    <!--quoteo(post=1768139:date=Apr 21 2010, 11:51 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Apr 21 2010, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand how this is useful. You have to move your entire head and then you end up looking out of the corner of your eye which feels awkward. Not to mention that I have to keep my head perfectly still just to keep my vision from shifting around. Maybe you guys sit like statues but I often change position. I don't see the point in supporting a 150 dollar camera that nobody owns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Common misconception. You can set the sensitivity up such that a slight movement of your head, maybe 30mm at the nose, is a 150 degree turn ingame to look over your shoulder.

A person that hasn't experienced it is speaking from a position of profound ignorance as to the "feel" of it.

I'm well-familiar with the feel, and it has no place in a twitch-based FPS.

--Scythe--
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    I want real leg and arm movements in to this game so when im scratching my balls the model does the same thing.

TrackIR is one step closer to our ultimate goal "making games more real than the real thing is"
    <!--quoteo(post=1768139:date=Apr 21 2010, 11:51 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Apr 21 2010, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to mention that I have to keep my head perfectly still just to keep my vision from shifting around. Maybe you guys sit like statues but I often change position.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

as you said, you dont understand :p
    you do not have to sit like a statue , you can sit normaly, even shift positions as long you stay in the fov of the head tracking camera. its the reason why the tracking model on your head has 3 led,s , the tracking software calculates head movement via the shift of the distance of the leds from its view using perspectivic calculations, also theres a deathzone you can set where your headmovement isnt tracked.
    and again, you dont even turn your head as far as you would expect. freetrack is translating your real world movement to ingame values by multiplying it by a sensivity factor you can set. for example, when my nose points at the direction of the left bezel on my 26 inch screen, my ingame view is like 90 degrees to the left, about closely to look back over my shoulder, without getting crosseyed, its still comfortable to look at the center of the screen
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768111:date=Apr 21 2010, 10:44 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Apr 21 2010, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well you must be right.
    It doesn't exist, so there must be a reason.

Same with 3D movies, why did they make 3D at the beggining ?
    the should think "It doesn't exist yet so there must be a reason. Why would i bother to implement this for movies?"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you want to make an apropriate comparison with 3D movies, it would be "why are only action movies played in 3D? and not let's say a romantic movie?"
    What I said is not that it does not exist at all, but that it does mainly find it's use in a completly other genre of games.

And the reason for this is that it seems most suitable when you want to look in one direction, but cannot afford to change to direction of movement. Either because there is no strafing (cars, jets, ..) or strafing comes with a penalty compared to running forward.
    Now in a fast-paced FPS, why would you want to look into a corridor without pointing your gun there? Mousemovent takes nearly no effort and you can easily keep your direction of movement. And if there is a skulk coming at you, you do not need to find your gun.
    edited April 2010
    Ok let's say you're in jetpack and moving in a precise direction.
    But during your flight you want to look around you, to see where ennemies are wile still moving in the same direction...

Without trackIR/3D vision you cant. all you can do, is to turn your move (and your direction) to look around, and take the risk to miss your jetpack jump, or take the risk to go straigt forward to an ennemy.

Or you're fade and blinking into one direction but you want to see around without moving your path of movment.

The fact you can't see around without penalizing your path of movment (mostly with special movment) is a problem. And if you take the risk, you have a bad movment that can make you an easy target.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    In general there's no disadvantage to running in a non-forward direction (except running backwards, but that's intentional). You can look around by turning and using a different movement key to compensate. This works equally well with a jetpack (actually it works better due to lack of friction).