Alpha near?

kflow47kflow47 Join Date: 2008-10-09 Member: 65154Members
edited April 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
What do you guys think is the alpha near (less than 1 month)
or do you think it takes some time to fix problems?
And polish the game since the community is very criticizing?
I can't wait and I just got no clue how near we are to the alpha, so I wanted to ask the experienced users ;)
Edit: Forgotten a question XD do you think they will update the engine test atleast with optimized performance? I really hope so since i play on my notebook multiplayer mod not really playable but still fun :D

Comments

• SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    I don't think we'll see the Alpha til at least June, and if we're assuming the target release is October 31st, 2010. Beta will probably drop end of August up until release.
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    i really dont know ..could be a month or 3 ...tbh. i dont care as long its getting done
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2010
    well they released the engine to test to help gauge performance for the optimisation process, and if its being developed correctly optimisations should be done at the end stage of the development cycle to quote Donald Knuth "premature optimization is the root of all evil"
  • kflow47kflow47 Join Date: 2008-10-09 Member: 65154Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766619:date=Apr 13 2010, 07:12 PM:name=kicker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kicker @ Apr 13 2010, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i really dont know ..could be a month or 3 ...tbh. i dont care as long its getting done<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's really hard because we don't really know how much they holding back =)
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    It's nearer now than it was last week, that's pretty much all we know for certain.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    I don't mind how long they wait, as long as they give us fair estimates!
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    i'd say : 2 weeks and 3 days to make it friday 30 avril.
    (well its what im hoping actually :p)
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    If they release the Alpha by the end of May, I will be pleasantly surprised. I think that they were overly optimistic and unrealistic about their release timeline before, and that the official "final" release of the game will come on Halloween (although they might shy away from setting a release date until September just in case something drastic happens). Count back 3 months for the Beta, and a couple more months for the Alpha and my prediction is end of May-ish for the Alpha.
  • YragornYragorn Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71169Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766617:date=Apr 13 2010, 02:09 PM:name=Cyanide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyanide @ Apr 13 2010, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think we'll see the Alpha til at least June, and if we're assuming the target release is October 31st, 2010. Beta will probably drop end of August up until release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eng August? Omg Thats when university starts again :'(
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1766684:date=Apr 13 2010, 04:00 PM:name=Yragorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yragorn @ Apr 13 2010, 04:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eng August? Omg Thats when university starts again :'(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is why I'm taking part time Uni this year.
    Man up and course load down.
  • ToneeTonee Wub wuB UK Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21926Members, Constellation
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The engine seems mostly stable enough right now to release the alpha. I'm not sure if their game code is playable enough for that. We've been abusing the engine pretty steadily for the past few days, and the only crash bugs we've encountered are obvious ones (and basically errors on our part)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1766739:date=Apr 13 2010, 09:34 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Apr 13 2010, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The engine seems mostly stable enough right now to release the alpha. I'm not sure if their game code is playable enough for that. We've been abusing the engine pretty steadily for the past few days, and the only crash bugs we've encountered are obvious ones (and basically errors on our part)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it would be a good idea to release the alpha before the engine is more playable online. It works but the performance isn't fun. People can forgive playability issues when the online is obviously hacked in like it is now, but an official alpha will draw harsher criticism.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    When its done.

(Every Developer's answer.)

-OR-

"Quote Valve-time here."
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1766747:date=Apr 13 2010, 10:11 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Apr 13 2010, 10:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766747"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it would be a good idea to release the alpha before the engine is more playable online. It works but the performance isn't fun. People can forgive playability issues when the online is obviously hacked in like it is now, but an official alpha will draw harsher criticism.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True. Still, it really depends on how hard the performance issues are to fix.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited April 2010
    Doesn't it depend on how much content there is in the Alpha? Will the Alpha have a finished, full-size map in it, all 5 Alien classes, multiple Marine weapons, and functioning commanders? Then there's all sorts of structures too.
  • matframatfra Join Date: 2004-01-10 Member: 25206Members, Constellation
    If The Pre-Alpha is all they created yet for gaeplay .. Be patient .. Its gonna be LONG LONG. Maybe Alpha at christmast
  • rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1766832:date=Apr 14 2010, 01:49 PM:name=matfra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matfra @ Apr 14 2010, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If The Pre-Alpha is all they created yet for gaeplay .. Be patient .. Its gonna be LONG LONG. Maybe Alpha at christmast<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No i dont think so. If i look in the past when they first were talking about adding lua they already had many scripts. Im sure they scrapped alot out for the engine test and like Max or charlie said the most of the lua scripts from the engine test wont be in the official release or alpha for that matter.
    <!--quoteo(post=1766832:date=Apr 14 2010, 06:49 AM:name=matfra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matfra @ Apr 14 2010, 06:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If The Pre-Alpha is all they created yet for gaeplay .. Be patient .. Its gonna be LONG LONG. Maybe Alpha at christmast<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's just 0% chance that the pre-alpha is all they have created to this point as far as gameplay goes. To name a few, on their end they have:

* Almost completed first person views and animations for skulk and gorge (and probably onos and lerk, although IMO they all need tweaking)
    * We have seen them use the ax in game, and have the rifle to use ourselves
    * At least near-completed the fade model enough to tease us with its shadow
    * A TON of movement animations are completed (might need tweaking, but still)

I don't think we really know much about the status of most of the building models, the heavy class (exoskeleton or whatever), and gameplay/event code. I think they're more or less over the hump- the first stage of the development process can be the hardest while you're really trying to get into a groove and get the core mechanics out of the way. The engine test has been released, they know what they need to work on in that respect and I'm sure they inch closer and closer to Alpha testing every day. Like I said, I'm optimistic for a May Alpha release that will be choppy, require alot of work/re-work and be fun as hell to play :)
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited April 2010
    and this: <a href="http://github.com/Nayruden/ns2lua" target="_blank">http://github.com/Nayruden/ns2lua</a>
    isint fun

yes i know community made it but i thought from the beginning that is what they where hoping for!
    i know this is only engine but we work with what we are given
    let them take the time they need!
    in the mean time we will do what we want with this
    LOL

and stop asking
    what are you doing to help the community?

Sorry if it sounds personal just saying!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Eternal September...
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1766677:date=Apr 14 2010, 04:36 AM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Apr 14 2010, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that they were overly optimistic and unrealistic about their release timeline before,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, they weren't. Fall last year is exactly when they originally intended to release the game. However, the massive amount of unexpected pre-orders they received spurred them on to work a hell of a lot more and ultimately deliver us a much better game as they now had the cash to invest more time.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1766832:date=Apr 14 2010, 08:49 PM:name=matfra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matfra @ Apr 14 2010, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If The Pre-Alpha is all they created yet for gaeplay .. Be patient .. Its gonna be LONG LONG. Maybe Alpha at christmast<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed with the previous few posts. Charlie explicitly mentioned that the Engine Test is a strip down of all of the work they have completed. The game is a lot further along than what we currently have.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Today's possible update might give us a bit of clue how they are progressing. At least I wouldn't be surprised of some small extra bits of content.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767266:date=Apr 16 2010, 02:57 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Apr 16 2010, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Today's possible update might give us a bit of clue how they are progressing. At least I wouldn't be surprised of some small extra bits of content.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see one of four updates, unless something comes completely out of left field:

<ul><li>Spark editor update (fairly high probability but I would be disappointed)</li><li>Engine test update (unless it's more than just an optimization, such as releasing more content like models, animations, etc- I would be disappointed)</li><li>Fade reveal (color me excited)</li><li>DI update with video (I would be blown away)</li></ul>

"Disappointed" is relative. It's not like I'll lose sleep but I do really look forward to the Friday updates. And we're still about 9 hours out of having the Friday Update.....
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767266:date=Apr 16 2010, 06:57 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Apr 16 2010, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Today's possible update might give us a bit of clue how they are progressing. At least I wouldn't be surprised of some small extra bits of content.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't expect more than maybe an API update for modders today. They just released the engine test, which suggests that they're focused more right now on fixing bugs than on adding new features

I would be very happy to see the alpha show up by late May, and I don't expect it anytime before that really
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i think they will get the engine test to work on most computers, remove the worst engine bugs. that will take some time, specialy the performance issues.

during that time they can work on the alpha code, so in the end the can release a updated engine with the actual alpha game code. looking forward to it :)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767312:date=Apr 16 2010, 10:19 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Apr 16 2010, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't expect more than maybe an API update for modders today. They just released the engine test, which suggests that they're focused more right now on fixing bugs than on adding new features<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, probably adding all the features the modders have been hacking would be a good update (i.e. easy way to locate where the mod/game folder is). If anything to remind them that this is just an alpha and more modding powers are on their way....
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1767357:date=Apr 16 2010, 02:52 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Apr 16 2010, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, probably adding all the features the modders have been hacking would be a good update (i.e. easy way to locate where the mod/game folder is). If anything to remind them that this is just an alpha and more modding powers are on their way....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To kind of reiterate the general idea of Lua, NS2 will be 100% moddable in every way shape and form on release. The devs wanted to create a game as much as the next half-life for a modding platform. I believe most modders know this already, but it's still exciting to hear.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767360:date=Apr 16 2010, 01:55 PM:name=Cyanide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyanide @ Apr 16 2010, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To kind of reiterate the general idea of Lua, NS2 will be 100% moddable in every way shape and form on release. The devs wanted to create a game as much as the next half-life for a modding platform. I believe most modders know this already, but it's still exciting to hear.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While this is true, at the same time it feels like there's quite a few hooks missing that the current modders are kinda working around in interesting ways. If there's better hooks provided for the features they want, their life might be a bit easier.

So yeah. There hopefully will be more LUA framework and engine hooks in the next update. Working server browser anyone?