Light type in Spark

kefka0kefka0 Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71268Members
Hey guys, I'm a long time NS player and game programmer but new to 3d level creation. I used hammer a bit but, well, sucked at it. However spark has attracted me as it seems much, much easier for a 3D idiot like myself to use.

My question is about room lighting--for the primary lights in a room that should light up most or all of the room, should I use point lights or directional spotlights?

Comments

• RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    Use point lights primarily for lighting. Spot lights, as the name suggests, are only for lighting a small area.
  • KesterKester Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26770Members, Constellation
    I'd use a mixture of both. Spots provide a nice light cone, and then a low intensity omni to act as the bounce lighting.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I have to disagree Razor.

Unless you are using neon or any 360o light sources props, spot lights with wide angles are most appropriate.

Point lights (omni) are good for secondary lightning (lights on the floors, on props, etc) and to simulate radiosity.

Try to put one omni in the middle of your room in order to blend luminosity and color of your primary lights. You'll want that light to not cast shadows and have a high radius (max distance) and low intensity.

Playing with good primary lights and range, one or more omni for radiosity, good positioning and color use of them, appropriate secondary lightning in dark or detailed area will all make your lightning look better when you get used to it.

;)