I feel a little conned

BerettaBeretta Join Date: 2003-08-16 Member: 19794Members
Hi chaps,

Pefectly happy with the engine test and the fact i've pre ordered a special edition copy of the game, I would have pre ordered no matter what.

BUT!

why did you say you were going to release the game in autumn 2009 when there was, obviously to you, no chance of this? I mean, if we have a functioning engine now I take it we should be looking toward autumn 2010 for a release date at the earliest. If I were the sort to care more than this I would actually be offended by the fact you stated an autumn release in order to get the maximum money on preorders for a game that was nowhere near ready.

so yeah, honesty is the best policy and all that!

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It's possible that it was intented to be released then, and something came up, or it was decided to spend a lot more time on it and release with more content.
  • pythoopythoo Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71263Members
    They were going to release it autumn 2009 because they didnt have the money to put anymore depth into the game. ( They were almost going 2 scrap DI and exo ) But then the pre orders started, they were so overwhelmed with the amount of pre-orders that they then had enough money to make the game better than the orginal planned for the autumn 2009 release date.

So now the release has been put forward because they have more money to throw around to make the game better and making the game better takes time.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1765766:date=Apr 11 2010, 08:15 PM:name=pythoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pythoo @ Apr 11 2010, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They were going to release it autumn 2009 because they didnt have the money to put anymore depth into the game. ( They were almost going 2 scrap DI and exo ) But then the pre orders started, they were so overwhelmed with the amount of pre-orders that they then had enough money to make the game better than the orginal planned for the autumn 2009 release date.

So now the release has been put forward because they have more money to throw around to make the game better and making the game better takes time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice theory, might even be true, but please don't pass it off as fact.

The sad reality is that release windows slip by. Sometimes it's because of unforseen setbacks in development, sometimes it's because the window was set by someone without all the right information at their disposal. The best game developers don't set hard release dates.

--Scythe--
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    i dunno, the game APB has been in development for 5 years, then rockstar picked it up because it was going nowhere and dropped it on the GTA game engine.

Your statements of feeling offended are certainly valid. I'm sure that i heard way back in the begining they had to scrap the original engine over some legal issues. now they could have filed bankrupt on it then and walked away but they stood ground and did the honorable thing..... "made it happen" even when the deck was stacked and to make up for that they are giving everyone total access to the game engine itself not to mention LUA and decoda.

When is the last time you bought a game from a big developer (uhhhuummm...bli---zz---a---r---d--) that gave you anything other than a game, no goodies just a un-modable venilla game.

I personally have followed the updates from the start and have been disapointed but for me i never felt i was decieved.

"LIFE HAPPENS"
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited April 2010
    They miscalculated. This is far from uncommon occurrence in game development, at least among developers who care about product quality (it's somewhat of a tradition to Blizzard and Valve, per se).
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1765776:date=Apr 11 2010, 05:40 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Apr 11 2010, 05:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice theory, might even be true, but please don't pass it off as fact.

The sad reality is that release windows slip by. Sometimes it's because of unforseen setbacks in development, sometimes it's because the window was set by someone without all the right information at their disposal. The best game developers don't set hard release dates.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What are you talking about <b>Scythe</b>? This was the story Charlie told us back on <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/10ns_7th_anniversary_progress_and_first_ns2_screenshots" target="_blank">Halloween</a>.
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=UWE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UWE)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As most of you know, we've been planning on releasing NS2 in some playable form this Fall. Back in May, we thought that if the game wasn't done, at least it would be ready to play in an alpha or beta state at the very least. We wish we still thought that was true, but now we realize it isn't happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=UWE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UWE)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The great thing about the pre-orders is that they have allowed us to hire another programmer (although it took some time to find the right person) and he will help tremendously. I imagine there will be some significant relief and stress-reduction for Max to know that not quite everything is resting on his shoulders any more. Pre-orders have also allowed us to put the Heavy/Exoskeleton into the game, which was previously cut. We were also thinking seriously of cutting Dynamic Infestation but luckily we averted that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I sympathize with your quest to cut down on misinformation, but this "theory" is straight from UWE.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I'd like a developer to say how far along the game as when the release date was made public. I know it was leaked by a publisher, but still, I can't help but feel that NS2 didn't exist in any playable state come fall 2009.

I feel that- even for an indie company- opening up pre-orders that early was a bit excessive: we didn't just pre-order the game, we funded it. Had I known I was spending my cash on a game that wouldn't be out for 12-18 months I certainly wouldn't have payed for it back then.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I think people should just shut up and get on with it. It was a long time ago, get over it, move on. Concentrate on the now.

If you really feel so aggrieved, just ask for your money back rather than whining at the forums.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think that was a very optimistic estimate, even with those features cut. They're new at this, it happens.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    Over estimate and then wow your customers as you deliver earlier than the expectation you just created...

I stuggle with this so much after being told it over and over again. How long will it take you to create this little system?? ah what, that will take me about 20 minutes... as I go along I get enthusiastic and features just get bigger and bigger... ideas cause my project to double, triple, quadruple and just balloon! An extremely late project in my opinion is a good one! You can tell that the developers are enthusiastic about implementing NEW and GREAT things! :P

I would like to pre-order... I probably will in the end but I feel like waiting until there is more to see... like gameplay :P
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited April 2010
    Sherpa summed up my most of my thoughts.

UWE should reconsider their approach of such situations in the future. I'm definitely far more reclutant to preorder their games in the future unless NS2 turns out to be absolutely pure gold in terms of gameplay. I still hugely respect them for creating NS1, but the extra bit of faith and patience I had with UWE compared to the vast majority of developers has been falling apart slowly since fall 2009.

I've got no clue what's actually going on with the development and I could totally wrong on my estimates on progress, but I still feel UWE has some things to learn about communicating with the community. It's not an easy task and it's impossible to please everyone, but I often feel that things could've been done in a little different manner for better (or at least different) results. It's extremely easy to comment afterwards and without actually having to do anything myself, but a little bit of reconsideration and possible learning from mistakes never hurts. For example the fall 2009 was just hanging around forever and it was already past it before we got an announcement of postponing. Dropping some pretty dramatical changes and features in twitter without any explanation has stirred up some unnecessary negative drama too.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    a brand new thread for this? would someone sticky a tutorial on "how to use the search function."
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765776:date=Apr 11 2010, 06:40 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Apr 11 2010, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice theory, might even be true..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And it is.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    edited April 2010
    You feel a little conned? Duke Nukem Forever was in development since 1997 and they released little more than a couple "gameplay" videos. At the very least, we've actually had the chance to step into the engine and give the devs feedback. I would have loved to see the Alpha released last fall, but it didn't happen. Guess what? You can either get your money back and stop whining, or just stop whining. It just seems a little disingenuous to say you've been conned when you pre-ordered a game with nary more than a pre-rendered trailer and a release date 3 or 4 years after initial announcement and from a team of less than 4 people making a FPS/RTS from the ground up. If I'm not mistaken, video game launches get delayed or SCRAPPED all the time (DNF, SC: Ghost, etc) and if you expected UWE to handle everything perfectly with no mistakes then I think you had unrealistic expectations. I highly doubt that they will let another release date slip after all the backlash they've received from the "Fall 2009" ordeal.

Congratulations, you're the 100th butthurt pre-orderer to come to the forums complaining about release dates when you can easily get a refund if you feel so slighted.

EDIT:

<!--quoteo(post=1765746:date=Apr 11 2010, 03:18 AM:name=Beretta)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beretta @ Apr 11 2010, 03:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so yeah, honesty is the best policy and all that!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    UWE has since cleared the air on exactly why the game has been delayed and I think with all the stuff they've shown us and everything we've got our hands on, they've been very honest and forthcoming. It wasn't as if they were being malicious and deceitful with their release date; it was just a bit ambitious.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I don't understand why people feel conned, scammed, or betrayed. From what I've seen UWE will readily refund any preorder and if you feel like UWE screwed you place your refund order and take a look at this game when the reviews / beta is out. It's very possible that the old release date was for a very basic and fundamental game made from what they received from angel investors. We know the preorders have provided an opportunity too good to pass up. That opportunity, of course, was to make NS2 the way they originally envisioned it. You know Charlie couldn't have been happy considering removing DI when UWE has been talking about dynamic gameplay from the start.

For a lot of us we've waited years for NS2 and the early release date probably gave false hope. But you have to remember that for the UWE developers, this is their life. If NS2 meets lackluster reviews or isn't successful we may not see UWE around to make a second game. When it's your life and the financial security of your new company on the line I'd say it's okay to make a couple of hundred forum goers temporarily upset in exchange for releasing the game you actually wanted to release from the start.
    <!--quoteo(post=1765847:date=Apr 11 2010, 04:10 PM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Apr 11 2010, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You feel a little conned? Duke Nukem Forever was in development since 1997 and they released little more than a couple "gameplay" videos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's just awful reasoning. You think that another developer "making" vapourware allows an unrelated team to delay their product?

Crazy.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    But... they made it clear they were going to fund development through pre-orders at the time.. and that the date was an estimate.. I mean, not that I think giving the date was the best idea ever.. but I think some people are rewriting history more than just a little.

So, you may feel disappointed, you may feel your hopes were not met, you may even accuse them of failing to make their goals.. but to accuse of of conning you out of your money is very harsh IMO.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    A game released on time, unfinished, is a greater injustice than a game released finished but late.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Drown, that's very well put!
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765907:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:54 AM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Apr 11 2010, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's just awful reasoning. You think that another developer "making" vapourware allows an unrelated team to delay their product?

Crazy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not at all. I think sh*t happens and UWE isn't the first developer to have delays.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1765907:date=Apr 11 2010, 06:54 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Apr 11 2010, 06:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's just awful reasoning. You think that another developer "making" vapourware allows an unrelated team to delay their product?

Crazy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's get a more realistic example then, Splinter Cell: Conviction is the 5th of the series and done by Ubisoft. They still delayed it by, what, 3 or so years? And now it looks like a very complete game.
  • OnionknightOnionknight Join Date: 2010-03-28 Member: 71103Members
    Lol I wouldn't feel conned. Its a relatively cheap game with a lot of extras. You can't get better than this. Most the time when a developer
    gives a release date, its just a rough estimate. But from what i see so far, it looks very close to completion so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Also Look at Blizzard. Diablo 3 was set to be released in Q4 2009. Now its TBA 2011. Why? No clue lol (it better be a good game for 7 years worth of work XD).
    <!--quoteo(post=1765940:date=Apr 11 2010, 07:22 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Apr 11 2010, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1765940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A game released on time, unfinished, is a greater injustice than a game released finished but late.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I doubt that many people are disappointed about them taking their time to make it a good game. At least I'm mostly annoyed by how they advertised the fall 2009 and sticked to it for a long time, while now it sometimes seems they never were even close to that schedule.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I own and operate a web, print and design firm in Perth, Australia. I know from personal experience that any business can set a solid release date/turnaround time, with 100% confidence it will be met, but then it just doesn't happen, due to a wide number of things.

For example I had a client come into my office not 2 hours ago and have a go at me because his project has taken 3 weeks longer than expected. Granted, he has a right to be upset but it has been through no fault of my own nor my employee's. Things like this just happen sometimes.

Do not lose any confidence in the devs just because they're human.
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    I have no problem forgiving them for the fall 2009 release date. They are a small, independent developer. ###### happens. We can talk when fall 2010 rolls around and we still haven't seen an alpha. Until then, just go play something else.

By the way, any word on donations? I'd love to further support my favorite independent developer.
    <!--quoteo(post=1766127:date=Apr 12 2010, 04:47 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Apr 12 2010, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1766127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I own and operate a web, print and design firm in Perth, Australia. I know from personal experience that any business can set a solid release date/turnaround time, with 100% confidence it will be met, but then it just doesn't happen, due to a wide number of things.

For example I had a client come into my office not 2 hours ago and have a go at me because his project has taken 3 weeks longer than expected. Granted, he has a right to be upset but it has been through no fault of my own nor my employee's. Things like this just happen sometimes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    At least I'm mostly asking for them to go this through and learn from it. There's reason for every delay. Sometimes those can be avoided, sometimes those can be predicted, sometimes it's even a good idea to explain why you're not delivering and how long it will take. It's never 100% confidence, but you can still learn.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do not lose any confidence in the devs just because they're human.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm a student, no way running any commercial business. Every spring I'm heavily struggling with my allergies and still I'm expected to meet the same study quotas as everyone else in the whole tech uni to get my study support from the state. It's not nice (altough having the monetary support in the first place is extremely nice), it's not sometimes even realistic to demand me to reach the quotas, but when there's money involved you just have to meet the expectations. That's just how it goes.

When UWE started the preorders, they kinda went into that. With money becomes responsibility. Everyone preordered is indirectly paying for them doing this, so failing to meet the expectations creates critique. I guess the refund backdoor is open, but at least I don't want to go there unless I really have to. That serves no good for UWE or me in the longer run.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    It was a mistake. The devs were on an entirely different schedule than they are now, and things have changed. That's all there is to it. Less drama, sorry :(
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    You have no point to make here other than to exacerbate the issue. They get it already. Anyway, missing deadlines is part of the creative process, expecting creative brilliance on time is foolish indolence.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    I can agree with wishing they were more forthcoming with their progress. Referring to the "oops as you can tell we missed our projected date" when it must have been clear prior that they would not make their fall 2009 date.

The delays don't bug me, as long as I'm not hanging with a false sense of hope. I'd rather them push the game back x years and tell me than lead me to believe it could be sooner.

Anyway, preordered the game last year in May and I'm excited as hell... gimme that black armor.
This discussion has been closed.