never ending ns2 game

2»

Comments

• FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1762733:date=Apr 5 2010, 03:53 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Apr 5 2010, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, maybe not a perpetual back-and-forth. Wildly swinging control is not a good thing. However, a solid tense give-and-take is awesome.

A tense pseudo-stalemate.... not so fun.

And I hope it's obvious to all that stretching gameplay for the purely for the sake of longer games = bad idea. There had better be a good reason and lots of action involved in that extra time to make it worth it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So i'm thinking the only way this game mode would be successful is if we had an enormous map, 30 commanders, and 100 vs 100? NS2:War-Mode? A movie comes to mind.. Starship Troopers and the complete lack of chain of command (and tanks) and thousands of infantry running around in one big group with weak weaponry xD

Hmm How else can this be accomplished? Perhaps a map where the commander must relocate?!! For example the objective is to relocate to a randomly generated position on the map! Now THAT would be interesting imo. It's the highlight of many games to do a daring relocate to a vent somewhere lol.

Obviously the commander alone knows of the required-destination-for-a-base and he must send out his best ninjas to establish phase gates before the enemy team find out and swarms that area, thereby making it hard as hell to get a base up... but THERE IS NO OTHER OBJECTIVE!!! HMGS FOR EVERYONE!!! AHHH!!!! Essentially this is modern warfare headquarters mode lol
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited April 2010
    Honestly though that doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's like the fascination people had (that appears to have died out thankfully) that if you take any game that was good, and turn it into an MMO format, it'll be INFINITY GOOD as a result - Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, whatever. It makes no sense at all but that was the 'thing' for a while.

The fact of the matter is that a 'never-ending NS' would have to be about as similar to NS as a Deus Ex MMO would be to DX. What makes NS and DX good aren't elements that would transfer well to an MMO-esque format. You'd have to change everything and to be perfectly frank, I didn't play NS because I liked the universe, I played because of good gameplay first and foremost.
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    Question, if you want a never ending game with HMGs JPs for everyone with instant medpack drops, ammo drops, and cat packs, why not just wait for a CO remake? Basically the only point a see of a never ending combat game is just to DM the hell out of each other, which combat seemed to do very well except Hive and CC ended the game and it wasn't very fun to play unless you were leading off early kills (the better players get better stuff and faster). I liked combat because I could get the better start and better game all together, but I don't think it was the same for the people getting slaughtered by the top 2-4 people. A never ending game will basically center around the better players anyways, but the other players get no satisfaction from being able to help by achieving any objective.

Same notion, bigger =/= fun.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762800:date=Apr 5 2010, 06:26 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Apr 5 2010, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly though that doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's like the fascination people had (that appears to have died out thankfully) that if you take any game that was good, and turn it into an MMO format, it'll be INFINITY GOOD as a result - Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, whatever. It makes no sense at all but that was the 'thing' for a while.

The fact of the matter is that a 'never-ending NS' would have to be about as similar to NS as a Deus Ex MMO would be to DX. What makes NS and DX good aren't elements that would transfer well to an MMO-esque format. You'd have to change everything and to be perfectly frank, I didn't play NS because I liked the universe, I played because of good gameplay first and foremost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I don't think I'd actually want to play this either, but I think I can see the appeal to some people who just want to play around with some of the tech instead of actually go through the effort of playing the game.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761696:date=Mar 29 2010, 09:38 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Mar 29 2010, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or it could be like a tug of war campaign...

Lets say there are 5 areas or levels in it.
    (Alien Home Hive) L1 <-> L2 <-> L3(Campaign Start level) <-> L4 <-> L5 (Marine colony front)

If the Marines win the first game then it goes to L2 which will be a bit more in favor for the Aliens just like L4 would be for the Marines. And the map for L1 and L5 would be moderately difficult for the attacking side because they will be at a greater disadvantage. This way the game could potentially persist for a long time and feel epic at either the end of the match or the end of the champaign.

-L3 will need to be very balanced for both sides<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One of the best ides i have read in years on this website.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    I had an idea for a slightly different mod while I was writing my response to the "never ending NS2" thread in general discussion...

Lets say that all structures are temporary by nature, with exception of CCs, IPs, and Hives. Furthermore, resource nodes can only be mined for a set amount at a time (one resource node per tech "area", or maybe the res nodes could define the areas).

When the resource node runs out of material to mine, the harvester/RT on it is destroyed, along with all temporary structures in that region, and after it is drained dry it will reset on a timer, when a new RT can be placed on it again.

If a team puts too much of their tech in one area, they risk losing it all when the RT goes, leaving themselves extremely vulnerable.

While it wouldn't last 'forever', it could easily make use of larger maps with more res nodes than normal, constantly changing the value of areas throughout the map even without player influence

Disclaimer: tech trees and costs will have to be rebalanced for this mode.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    Very interesting idea. Gameplay would be completely different, but I'd try it. Seems like you'd have to re-upgrade more or less at every node to keep access up, at least if we still have things like the advanced armory.

Doesn't seem like aliens would suffer much apart from the loss of static defenses, though. And how do you deal with structures in corridors, are they simply linked to the closest resource node?
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1761696:date=Mar 29 2010, 04:38 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Mar 29 2010, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or it could be like a tug of war campaign...

Lets say there are 5 areas or levels in it.
    (Alien Home Hive) L1 <-> L2 <-> L3(Campaign Start level) <-> L4 <-> L5 (Marine colony front)

If the Marines win the first game then it goes to L2 which will be a bit more in favor for the Aliens just like L4 would be for the Marines. And the map for L1 and L5 would be moderately difficult for the attacking side because they will be at a greater disadvantage. This way the game could potentially persist for a long time and feel epic at either the end of the match or the end of the champaign.

-L3 will need to be very balanced for both sides<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea. The power grid system actually lends itself to this idea on one map given a big enough map is technically posible.

A twist, have the map linking NOT be linear. For example, given a specific (a more difficult) victory condition is met in L1 by the aliens, the tide could be pushed to L4. For example destroy "Generator B" rather than "take over Bridge".

A even further twist, if technically possible, have those campaign maps be linked in such a way than they could be seamlessly connected without a loading screen. Essentially being one huge epic map where it loads sections depending on where the action is moving (trigger would be activated based on powergrid status).
    edited April 2010
    -snip- Hit "quote" rather than "edit".
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762800:date=Apr 5 2010, 01:26 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Apr 5 2010, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fact of the matter is that a 'never-ending NS' would have to be about as similar to NS as a Deus Ex MMO would be to DX. What makes NS and DX good aren't elements that would transfer well to an MMO-esque format. You'd have to change everything and to be perfectly frank, I didn't play NS because I liked the universe, I played because of good gameplay first and foremost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think ^this^ is the larger problem. If you made an un-endable version of NS, would it still be NS? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good long game. I can't express how much fun I had with the 90 minute rounds at release, but 90 minutes is a far cry from what would essentially be persistent gameplay.

I guess I can't see how the current game mechanics could support a never ending mode without feeling a bit pointless. I would love to see it happen, I'm just not sure it can.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1763014:date=Apr 6 2010, 09:33 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Apr 6 2010, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this idea. The power grid system actually lends itself to this idea on one map given a big enough map is technically posible.

A twist, have the map linking NOT be linear. For example, given a specific (a more difficult) victory condition is met in L1 by the aliens, the tide could be pushed to L4. For example destroy "Generator B" rather than "take over Bridge".

A even further twist, if technically possible, have those campaign maps be linked in such a way than they could be seamlessly connected without a loading screen. Essentially being one huge epic map where it loads sections depending on where the action is moving (trigger would be activated based on powergrid status).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Woah, I'm not saying that massive sized maps are the thing to do or would even be optimizingly feasible. I'm not sure how much the culling algorithm can cut down on processing a map 5 times a normal one's size. And from a game play standpoint you would have to block off areas after the "end" so it defeats the purpose. If loading times bother you so much add in this:

After the end of a match, while the next map loads you can check your scores and watch a very simplified top down replay of sorts showing you how the game played out, who took what res or tech nodes, right up to the end of the match. There could also be a little text message saying a brief summary of what happened and what is happening next(map).

Non-linear... Well the current game conditions are if one side looses all of their Commd chairs or Hives then they loose and the other team wins game. IF either side builds onto a certain tech point then when if gets destroyed, doesn't sound like a very good victory condition. I suppose it could be IF team wins while controling opponent's starting tech point would be Ok but I don't like the idea of skipping more than one level.

"never ending game"
    I think we can agree that a game that doesn't end isn't a game that can be played.
    edited April 2010
    This "epic gameplay mod" might be doable simply with some creative mapping. Playing by vanilla NS2 rules, a map could be designed to play out epic more often by giving each team a stronger advantage on their side of the map. This is especially posible to do in NS2 with the addition of the PowerGrid system (a vanilla available measure of team advantage). Closing and opening doors can be triggered via the PowerGrid so combine that with some imagination and booya!

I wonder if it's posible to use timed triggers with the PowerGrid. Example, if Marines hold "Hangar Bay BJX9000" for longer than 8 minutes, a special path opens which gives them advantage. On the flip-side, holding an area for too long (20 minutes?) could open paths that would give a disadvantage to the holding team, working as an anti-statemate measure.

A step further. Having the PowerGrid on in that area would activate four long weld points. Which when all are welded would give the marines a strong mid-map advantage as long as they hold the RT in that area.

All that is probably technically simple to do. The trick is in having the right ideas and good map design. Good news, given we have a very creative community and an great already-available map editor.

<!--quoteo(post=1763026:date=Apr 6 2010, 10:04 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Apr 6 2010, 10:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Woah, I'm not saying that massive sized maps are the thing to do or would even be optimizingly feasible. I'm not sure how much the culling algorithm can cut down on processing a map 5 times a normal one's size. And from a game play standpoint you would have to block off areas after the "end" so it defeats the purpose. If loading times bother you so much add in this:

After the end of a match, while the next map loads you can check your scores and watch a very simplified top down replay of sorts showing you how the game played out, who took what res or tech nodes, right up to the end of the match. There could also be a little text message saying a brief summary of what happened and what is happening next(map).

Non-linear... Well the current game conditions are if one side looses all of their Commd chairs or Hives then they loose and the other team wins game. IF either side builds onto a certain tech point then when if gets destroyed, doesn't sound like a very good victory condition. I suppose it could be IF team wins while controling opponent's starting tech point would be Ok but I don't like the idea of skipping more than one level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Those where my twists on your idea. To get the brain juices flowing :)

<!--quoteo(post=1763026:date=Apr 6 2010, 10:04 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Apr 6 2010, 10:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"never ending game"
    I think we can agree that a game that doesn't end isn't a game that can be played.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed, Most of us are probably just thinking about long epic games. "Never ending" makes me think about MMO's and then that makes me throw up a little in my mouth. ;)

[EDIT: Some grammar]
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    lol it was just a suggestion in the end i may find out that it is not practical or feasible and may have to cut the idea in half at least it is something worth trying and whether or not i go through all the way or not i should get some great ideas for future maps.

btw great ideas from all of you if you guys dont use them i might just steal some haha
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1763026:date=Apr 7 2010, 03:04 AM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Apr 7 2010, 03:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"never ending game"
    I think we can agree that a game that doesn't end isn't a game that can be played.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is beginning so sound like the wire!
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1763095:date=Apr 7 2010, 12:34 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Apr 7 2010, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->btw great ideas from all of you if you guys dont use them i might just steal some haha<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you want to use mine, feel free. I'm planning something entirely different myself...(insert sinister laugh here)
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1763129:date=Apr 7 2010, 06:25 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Apr 7 2010, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1763129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want to use mine, feel free. I'm planning something entirely different myself...(insert sinister laugh here)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    gorgry reproduction
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    For a long game (never-ending is a misnomer, it has to end eventually -- at the heat death of the universe if nothing else) that doesn't get boring or devolve to spawn camping, you need to set up a set of increasing bonuses for the losing team. I know it sounds odd, but that's how you keep it interesting. As one team loses more and more control over the map, they need to gain more and more damage dealing capability or HP until they are squeezed into a final corner and are quite strong, but teetering on the edge of defeat. This makes comebacks from defeat much more likely, and leads to very long games. It also has the bonus of making a win, when it finally comes, extremely satisfying for the winning team.

A mode like this wouldn't be for everyone, but I'd bet at least a few people would love it.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Bob? What the <i>heil</i>.

Also Planetside was unwinnable. Ironically in SOE's attempt to give it gameplay focused goals, they ruined it completely.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited April 2010
    This can be done, hard to put into context.
    You have 6, 9 or a daring 16 tech areas so you have a grid with 4 tech areas available at any one time. Use doors to control availablility of map areas and shift gameplay around the level.

- Both teams will always have one tech area each at all times by spawning a fresh base in a new area if one side looses all of its tech points or call it a domination win and load a new level.

- 2 Tech areas can only be controlled at once by either team while the 4th tech area is always the carrot on the end of the stick. In other words the team that is doing well will have 2 points in their posetion and will have to do its best defend those two points and stop the other team from getting the carrot aka its second point (but both will try to capture 2 points on first launch of the game of course).
    The dominating team will be spread out more while it tries to hold 2 points and always deny access to the third available point.

- At some point both teams will end up with 2 tech points each and at some point one of the teams will take out the other teams tech point, That point then becomes dead, closed off and players in that area are respawned at a base and a new point opened for capture/defend, we have then everyone scurrying/moving out fighting for the new area in another part of the map, this is so we get players moving around and not hovering around to try recapturing the same point stright away and thus breaks any nested defence and gives the lossing team a far better chance of recovery by teaking an area while things are disorganised.

<b>Awarding</b>
    Simply award the whole team that pushes back the other with a <u>none incremental</u> award quickly flashup on the screen but do put in to the player stats a count for rounds won for a few seconds along with the best player during that session.

<b>Code Mechanics</b>
    To get a control map to work one concept might be to produce an entity called a control_zone or summut and place around 3 or a lot more depending on the number of tech points in that map with a radius set that covers 5 or 6 team_loaction points so that there are allways be 1 or 2 tech areas within a zone available for the code to select to open a new area that is not out of reach of the other 3 currently active areas when the 4th is taken down.
    Eveytime the status of a tech point changes you could check the other control zones to see if the move has made all the 4 current active areas fall into a different control_zone from the one that is the current primary, if so you could shift the primary to that new control_zone so that it is possible for the gameplay to move around the map while keeping ranges in check.

<b>Problems</b>
    Only problems I forsee is anything to do with logging that is hard coded in, You will want to either totally disable logging or periodicaly dump data and clear the memory especially console data so that the server does not crash after 1 or 2 days constant operation on the same map with so much activity.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited April 2010
    So, one map that just keeps altering what rooms/tech points are open? Kinda like that one TF2 map (does anyone know if that's really just 1 giant map or several maps with the same locales)?
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    They are all one giant map and the concept is just like the Bad Company 2 Rush game mode, Difference is we are talking about making a moving web and the gamplay does not flow in one direction it will move around dependant on the players actions reusing the same corridoors/rooms to create different routes like T junctions and crossroads.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    M'kay.

Well, if you can pull it off, power to ya.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    this will be a lot more feasible with random start positions and selectable spawn locations. the pt mod might be a good thing to test a mode like this with. i will need to fool around with my map again and finally get it playable to test this stuff.