Personal Map Progression Blog

SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Updating everytime I add pictures and related news.</div>I'm currently working on a NS2 map, and since the process of actually making a map is pretty lengthy, for my own personal look at it's progression I decided to make a blog filled with progress updates. (Thanks to Helios for the idea)

I've got all the ideas in my head and it's just a matter of taking the time to fill up spark. I figured this would also be a simpler method of recieving feedback from everyone on here, and to not waste posting space in the screenshot thread.

Everytime I update the blog I will post that I did here. I'd really appreciate it if you're interested, to please give feedback on what I'm creating. Thank you and enjoy!

<a href="http://mapprogression.tumblr.com" target="_blank">Progress</a>

Comments

• RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    <a href='index.php?showtopic=0'>Avoid Level-Over-Level
    Commander Mode is the ability for Commander players to play the game from a top-down view. This is handled automatically by the game but does place special limitations on level designers: maps can't have “level over level” geometry. If one room is built on top of another, the commander can't give orders in or see into the lower room. Because of this problem, overlapping hallways and areas that cross over other areas should generally be avoided. Girders, catwalks, balconies, pipes, and other smaller geometry can overlap as long as they don't really block commander access to the area below them.</a>

I hope this isn't a problem with your map where it looks like a underpass with a door in one of your screen shots. (hmm maybe its a elevator?) But it looks well decorated and lit. Keep it up !
  • KamakazieKamakazie Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9958Members
    Looks awesome dude! Good work
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1754884:date=Feb 23 2010, 10:03 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Feb 23 2010, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope this isn't a problem with your map where it looks like a underpass with a door in one of your screen shots. (hmm maybe its a elevator?) But it looks well decorated and lit. Keep it up !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's just a very minor overlap. And since it's a catwalk, it's not meant to be a centralized location for structures/etc. But yeah, I've been doing my best to stay commander weary.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Alright. <b>SUPER PROUD OF THIS ONE!</b> A walkthrough of my completed first area is now up! I really need feedback, so please check it out!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu23zfObtv4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu23zfObtv4</a>

The position of the Techpoint is identical to yours -> this picture <a href="http://i.imgur.com/atv0p.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/atv0p.jpg</a>. (See the red thing left bottom corner)

Now look at the Techpoint and the back of the open Command Station.

I think you will have to turn your Techpoint because the back of the Command Station-wall will clip into the room-wall, or provide it more space to the wall...

Other than that:

Light looks great, same for the layout and style of the room - very promising!
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Looks really good, only observation is that colours are a little too distinct for my taste. By that I mean that the white is really white, I'd tone it down a bit (a very light grey maybe?) and the red accents are possibly a little too red. But if you like the effect then ignore me. I know you probably want marine start to be well lit!

Otherwise really really good, wish I had i) the time ii) the skill [iii) the internet connection at home] to do some spark mapping.
  • Blue21Blue21 Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67970Members
    Can we get a top down view?
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1754888:date=Feb 24 2010, 04:26 AM:name=Cyanide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyanide @ Feb 24 2010, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's just a very minor overlap. And since it's a catwalk, it's not meant to be a centralized location for structures/etc. But yeah, I've been doing my best to stay commander weary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think something is being implemented similar to func_seethrough so aesthetics overlapping won't be a huge problem.

The room also looks better with that weird hanging pipe removed =]
    Thanks for the feeds guys! Blog updated with a post related to my vision of the map with details regarding locations.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    I like how you are going to have most of the fighting in the open rooms and not bottle-necked into a bunch of narrow hallways but will there be enough cover? I think it would be good to have room set up like a locker room with several rows of barriers with multiple ambush points or ways to flee.
    Updated with a post related to where I'm going next with the map and how I'm designing it.
    Updated with first screen of Waste Disposal and a small note.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great progress.

I would really enjoy rooms with waste transporting things like waste-trams, cranes and other.
    You could watch them from above or through windows.

Keep 'em coming.
  • xxstalker24xxxxstalker24xx Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69655Members
    Very nice looking map, def have an eye for tasty looking layouts but i was just wondering cnsidering this is coming from your head did you draw sketches/plans out to see if its gameplay wise going to work or are you leaving that for gametesting ? Could cause alot of re-work later along the line.

But anyway its nicely detailed.
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys. I updated just now with a picture of my sketched layout for Waste Disposal. Take a look if you'd like to see my vision for the room.

Also, stalker. When creating rooms I do my best to visualize both playstyles and pull from NS1 as much as possible while taking in account the new features such as the nanogrid and DI. Mapping at the moment is kind of a shot in the dark, but I build on the basics that I believe will create interesting and fun environments that create fantastic gameplay moments.
    Blog updated with a very rough overall map look. Pure speculation and will definitely go through tons of alterations, but alas, enjoy.
  • torisutantorisutan Join Date: 2009-07-13 Member: 68126Members
    needs moar vent pathways.
    <!--quoteo(post=1755752:date=Feb 27 2010, 03:17 AM:name=torisutan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (torisutan @ Feb 27 2010, 03:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->needs moar vent pathways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, you must have not have read the post. There isn't even one vent passageway drawn yet. :P
  • INKEDOUTINKEDOUT Join Date: 2007-06-23 Member: 61343Members
    Is the lava just rock or infestation texture with orange lighting? If so, won't you have some issues if they dont release any lava textures? As players could just walk all over it. :S
    <!--quoteo(post=1755850:date=Feb 27 2010, 12:01 PM:name=INKEDOUT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (INKEDOUT @ Feb 27 2010, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the lava just rock or infestation texture with orange lighting? If so, won't you have some issues if they dont release any lava textures? As players could just walk all over it. :S<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Particle lava isn't in the game yet. It's a "Lava Test" because it's the closest I can come to creating mock lava with the current toolset. But yes, once the game is out, it will be free flowing lava.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    I'm enjoying your writeups and sketches, this map looks very nice, looking forward to future updates, and hopefully this map will be finished, polished and released.
    Yeeeahhh, it's been over a month and real life has been taking priority, but i whipped up some new screens for you all. Please head on over and check er' out. Feedback appreciated.

Oh yeah, get ready to be impressed. It's a <i>Hallway.</i>
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Cyanide, in your other work, how were you able to make the lava like texture? Was that customized by you?
  • FreddehFreddeh Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18520Members, Constellation
    Looks like a very fun map design, and it looks darn pretty as well!

I'm a bit worried about the bottom left being basically a triple node, it might be a good idea to drop one, but that would leave an empty room which seems to be something you're trying to avoid ;).

Thats really the only thing I can find wrong with the design itself, and aesthetics aren't my forte, but if i think of something else later I'll poke around again.
    <!--quoteo(post=1762929:date=Apr 6 2010, 09:38 AM:name=UncleRay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UncleRay @ Apr 6 2010, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cyanide, in your other work, how were you able to make the lava like texture? Was that customized by you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Believe it or not, that lava texture is just the infestation texture with my doing some custom lighting to make it appear "lava like". In the blog I was talking about how the particle system isnt in yet so i was trying to find something that could sort of emulate it until it was in the game. It was the best I could find, lol. If you want i can give you the values for the light sources for the lighting, it's a combination of 2 orange 1 red in select spots with certain values.
  • GingerGiantGingerGiant Join Date: 2010-04-03 Member: 71157Members
    edited April 2010
    Blogging about map progression is a great idea. Maybe we should start a thread where everyone could post a link to their mapping blogs.

I'm planning on creating a level with a -lot- of lava. Any ideas on how to create it? I was actualying thinking about using a lava/cavern skybox or something.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    You're doing a great job of making the space seem functional, and not just there for the sake of your map. For example - the plumbing/duct work going ceiling to floor, and coming out of the wall. Touches like that add a great deal of believability to the environment, and ultimately make things more interesting. It's easy to fall into the habit of relying on nice textures to make your space look good, and while they're great, what really pulls it all together is what you do to complicate the space. Who wants to run on plain white walls?
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762932:date=Apr 6 2010, 10:55 AM:name=Cyanide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyanide @ Apr 6 2010, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Believe it or not, that lava texture is just the infestation texture with my doing some custom lighting to make it appear "lava like". In the blog I was talking about how the particle system isnt in yet so i was trying to find something that could sort of emulate it until it was in the game. It was the best I could find, lol. If you want i can give you the values for the light sources for the lighting, it's a combination of 2 orange 1 red in select spots with certain values.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please do! All your base are belong to us :]
    7 New pics added of the completed U-shaped Primary/Secondary hallway exiting one side of the marine spawn. Check it out!
    ENGINE TEST! Aww yeah, -5- new pics up on the blog that are in game. I made some MAJOR EDITS to the marine spawn. Check it out! <a href="http://mapprogression.tumblr.com" target="_blank">GO NOWWW</a>