never ending ns2 game

BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
<div class="IPBDescription">something to think about</div>ok u will call me insane for even thinking about this and it might not even be possible, but how about possibly supporting a never ending game mode?

yes the server would always be on the same level. the map would need to be huge, and there would need to be some way to keep score so returning players don't loose progress.

I'm sure this would take a long time to possibly write code for something like this and it is not something that can be done at this time.

but i would still like someone to look into this either devs or the community.
and tell me if this is even possible.

Thanks

Comments

• palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    Most problematic seems to be a goal you're fighting for in an endless game, apart from just spawncamping for kills once you get ahead on hte other team.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    It's definitely possible if we get access to MySQL or similar, and will likely be done. However I would not expect anything good to come out of it, less of all it be part of official release.
  • Battle-BugBattle-Bug Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70523Members
    I like this idea. I think its place is not in NS mode, but there's a dozen mode ideas that can make this work. I like long, drawn out games where we deal with heavy hitting contenders, and not the quick, anti-climactic victories.

The problem I foresee is this: aliens in NS1 combat mode love the timer. It allows them to win by holding out. I've rarely see marines win after time runs out. Thus, aliens tend to vote not to extend. So, if there were two combat modes and one didn't have a timer, more people would probably play the one with the timer.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited March 2010
    i guess it would likely start out smaller having games that last a few hours more like a rts
    would need alot of testing
    once the lua code for ns2 comes out someone let me know if this is possible or how it might be done.
    unless someone knows how to do this now? not sure if there is some stuff that might not work.

using something like draco suggested

mods is there any way that you guys could make a new forum for mod/ideas/suggestions
    this might fit better into there

Thanks
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    You mean like the 1.0x games where you left after 2 hours of play, came back 3 hours later and <i>the same game would still be going</i>? That was really cool, but also sucked since you didn't really get the moment of victory feeling.
    So you gotta think up some sort of intermediate reward that wouldn't take more than half an hour to get, and would have an overall impact without outright deciding the game.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited March 2010
    like i said if it does happen the game mode will start out small as it gets developed will be bigger

another way this could be done sortive lika a tournament style
    start out with small maps tallying up each won match and eventually getting to the really big map carrying points over to the final map depending how each team did

first one is more of what looking for though but both are hopefully feasable
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Or just have it in a campaign style. You play one map, whichever side wins determines the next map that is played. The maps are played in order as if you are progressing through territory. If one side wins, then loses the next map, you play the first map again. You "win" by winning the last map, which is hopefully the hardest. After that, the campaign resets, and you start on the "border" map again. This would require you stick to the same team each game. The creative map designers could change the landscape as a function of depth of territory. The deeper in alien territory you get, the more alien it gets, etc.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    or it could be like a tug of war campaign...

Lets say there are 5 areas or levels in it.
    (Alien Home Hive) L1 <-> L2 <-> L3(Campaign Start level) <-> L4 <-> L5 (Marine colony front)

If the Marines win the first game then it goes to L2 which will be a bit more in favor for the Aliens just like L4 would be for the Marines. And the map for L1 and L5 would be moderately difficult for the attacking side because they will be at a greater disadvantage. This way the game could potentially persist for a long time and feel epic at either the end of the match or the end of the champaign.

-L3 will need to be very balanced for both sides
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That's exactly what I meant in my post. Sorry if it didn't come off as such.

<!--quoteo(post=1761696:date=Mar 29 2010, 09:38 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Mar 29 2010, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or it could be like a tug of war campaign...

(Alien Home Hive) L1 <-> L2 <-> L3(Campaign Start level) <-> L4 <-> L5 (Marine colony front)

If the Marines win the first game then it goes to L2 which will be a bit more in favor for the Aliens just like L4 would be for the Marines. And the map for L1 and L5 would be moderately difficult for the attacking side because they will be at a greater disadvantage. This way the game could potentially persist for a long time and feel epic at either the end of the match or the end of the champaign.

-L3 will need to be very balanced for both sides<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761696:date=Mar 29 2010, 04:38 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Mar 29 2010, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or it could be like a tug of war campaign...

-L3 will need to be very balanced for both sides<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like a good campaign idea. The maps at the extreme ends of the tug of war diagram would still have to be winnable, of course, just heavily favoring one side. Otherwise we'd get a superior team putting the worse team on the ropes every other game, but the "Home Hive" or "Colony Front" is simply impossible to lose, so the inferior team would never lose.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    lol I'm sure its just me. I do more thinking than reading sometimes :p
    I know of several games where the server host has written a little script to produce the tug-of-war type campaign style. There's usually a file produced at the end of each map that tells what side wins. The script reads that file, then tells the server which map to load next. It's not that hard to do.

On the other end of the spectrum, a MMO version of NS would rock! Many gameplay mechanics would need to be re-written, but something like Planetside, Global Agenda, or World War II Online, would be awesome with an NS feel. A single persistent world with many small-scale battles.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    tf2 has a similar tug of war style, the hydro map that is*
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    A Tug-of-war style mode with different maps or areas sounds interesting. It would end though, eventually. If it were truely never ending, how would it be different from Combat?
    Never ending in that progress is always made and each game means more than just a short-term battle, but is part of a bigger war. It would sort of be half way between casual and competitive NS, which I think would appeal to a lot. You have more than just one game to work for, but it's not as hardcore as competitive play.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited March 2010
    I used to play a Tribes 2 mod that would feature 4+ hour-long games that were so liquid and unique every time, they'd suck that four hours out of you and you'd not even notice. What kept the game long and <u>that mod the single most amazing multiplayer game I've ever experienced to date</u> wasn't that it was 'never ending', it was specifically BECAUSE you had a clear objective, and with two teams strategizing (Firefox sez that's not a word :( )against each other you'd see what I consider the first and only TRULY strategic game (now that is one <b>bold</b> statement but I completely stand by it), to the extent that Planetside couldn't even touch it...

And when you finally grabbed the brass ring, you were the king of the ###### WORLD. A never-ending game has no goals, and artificially prolonging the game to FORCE it is ridiculous. Said mod I'm talking about played, literally, like a game of chess. Your opening moves could decide the game and it wasn't uncommon to checkmate in just a few 'moves'.

This mod was so amazingly brilliant (and yet so devilishly simple) that here I am, nine goddamn years later or something, that I, hater of all games, can still firmly call it the most awesome thing since the guitar solo. And if you asked me to name anything that was even remotely close to it, the best I could do would be Planetside, only without the dumb bits. Also this mod had such an awesome impact on me that I forgot what my point was and just gushed about it the second I thought of it.

<i>THAT SAID</i>, NS is just too 'small' to do this. People are going to get INCREDIBLY BORED of fighting over Cargo Room for two hours. Your maps would have to be of an UNREALISTICALLY massive size (SPACE HULK) to keep it interesting. I don't see even the most ambitious indoor-based FPS managing that, much less a mapper to manage it all D:
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Slowing down the rest flow and tech times and increasing the effectiveness of static defense should be relatively easy on LUA. As long as the game and server have stable performance, I can't see why the games couldn't drag on for hours at least, if not days after people tinker with the game balance a bit.

As mentioned, fighting over stale locations for hours isn't for everyone and I'd rather keep it out of the official game, but I think such gameplay is pretty easy to achieve through modding even if isn't officially supported.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761738:date=Mar 30 2010, 05:23 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 30 2010, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Slowing down the rest flow and tech times and increasing the effectiveness of static defense should be relatively easy on LUA. As long as the game and server have stable performance, I can't see why the games couldn't drag on for hours at least, if not days after people tinker with the game balance a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This isn't really "never ending games" so much as it "just really slow gameplay and long game."
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Sounds like an mmorpg kinda thing.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1761739:date=Mar 30 2010, 06:01 AM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Mar 30 2010, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't really "never ending games" so much as it "just really slow gameplay and long game."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh yeah. Rereading the OP, I think my post is a bit off topic. I first thought it was more about those 10 hr games 1.0 had.

I guess you could make some extremely powerful and invulnerable stationary defence to create nearly endless games though. A bit like DoD spawn protection on some maps, just instakilling everything it sees. Combine that with some res model adjustments that allow both teams to be effective even if they lose all the map control and you've got an eternal game already.

After that it would boil down to the mappers to create some huge maps and maybe some more tweaking to add the sense of battle raging back and forth around the map. As long as the server client is stable, I can't see why it couldn't be done with relatively small amount of work compared to most mod projects. I doubt it would be completely balanced or opmimized or anything like that, but that's probably not the main point of those games anyway.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    I too think the Victory aspect would cause this type of game to fail. I also have a tug-of-war gametype concept and I think the only way something like this would work is if you had some sort of Global rank of which you would gain points towards your rank by not only getting kills on the enemy team but also aiding your team in moving forward and pushing the enemy team back.

This would require an existing infrastructure to be in-place by the devs unless the creator of the modification were to set up a permanent stats server which would be authed to all servers running the modification. Unlocks would further that satisfaction need to play an incredibly long game.

Alternatively, a similar gametype based in one very large map or a series of smaller maps might be a better strategy but with the difference of having a Defender and an Attacker, exactly like the Rush gametype in Bad Company. Attackers start at one spawn point and the Defenders start at their first base. The attackers have to destroy that base to move on to the next base, and so on and so fourth. Defenders can definitely push back the Attackers but it would only prevent the Attackers from hitting their base, rather then being able to push the Attackers back to their own base and destroying it instead. The Victory aspect comes from either successfully defending your base (Defender) or destroying all of the bases (Attacker).

Short of any of that, I don't think there would be any incentive to actually play the game for an extended period of time. And if score was being saved for each player, you wouldn't need a Database like mySQL or SQL Server, a simple file on the Servers hard drive can do that very nicely.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1761841:date=Mar 30 2010, 03:57 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Mar 30 2010, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I too think the Victory aspect would cause this type of game to fail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah, haven't you ever played on the marine team for a 3hour+ game.... those games were pretty fun to be in most of the time (they WOULD NOT REACH THAT TIME if it wasn't fun/challenging/interesting for both teams). Don't confuse this with your average ns-classic maps that ends with the entire marine team staying in marine start (because leaving ms would result in instant death to the fade that "doesn't die" who patrols the entire map in under 20 seconds).

So i want to say that this game mode can be about the marine team "turtling", perhaps lasting as long as possible... playing defensively, which is one of the leading causes for games lasting for several hours... i.e. the aliens can't wipe out the marines, but the marines can wipe out the aliens. Example: relocating to the bunker in ns_cerbsiege, and defending the bunker... so when the siege timer is up, the commander can bacon a full loaded assault of squad of heavies + jetpackers to the marine start to battle in the siege room (whose entrance is in ms). Anyone that dies respawns in the bunker, and gets re-equipped for the future attacks. (now that was one hell of a game i played in on the [IAM] clan server, a long time ago lol, and yes we, the marine team did eventually win :)

Obviously from that example, the key to this game mode working is the commander CANNOT be compromised by loosing resource towers... so he'll have to get "automatic" res at some interval (maybe the multiplier is how much territory is captured?). Also the map should mean that the marine start is relatively well defended (castle defense or something similar). Should we call such maps "siege" maps also? or alien sieges? :P

Note: my idea implies a harder to win map... not so much a never-ending game mode.
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    I just - yes... I... Whenever I read your posts FocusedWolf I get a sneaking suspicion that you can't possibly be a sentient being. I usually laugh, because taking you seriously is very very scary. I'm not writing that to bash you or anything, it's just... sometimes you make me feel like I'm watching Fox News.

Anyway, I would really like to understand what the hell you are saying sometimes, and I am afraid I am going to need some help. I'll attempt to write out my comprehensions here, and you (or anyone else) please correct and enlighten me where I do not grok in fullness.

<!--quoteo(post=1762580:date=Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah, haven't you ever played on the marine team for a 3hour+ game.... those games were pretty fun to be in most of the time (they WOULD NOT REACH THAT TIME if it wasn't fun/challenging/interesting for both teams). Don't confuse this with your average ns-classic maps that ends with the entire marine team staying in marine start (because leaving ms would result in instant death to the fade that "doesn't die" who patrols the entire map in under 20 seconds).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think Dalin believes that it is hard to make a never-ending mode interesting if there is nothing to fight for. Sort of like playing poker for nothing. With infinite chips. You disagree, I gather. You say games are allowed to grow long if they are fun. (Not that they are fun because they are long, which is interesting).
    Then you say aliens are overpowered, the fade especially. And that after having lost the game, being bottled up in MS is no fun.

<!--quoteo(post=1762580:date=Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So i want to say that this game mode can be about the marine team "turtling", perhaps lasting as long as possible... playing defensively, which is one of the leading causes for games lasting for several hours... i.e. the aliens can't wipe out the marines, but the marines can wipe out the aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought I just read that turtling in marine base was no fun? Please, I must be missing a subtle point here. And please elaborate on "wipe out" - surely, wiping out the aliens would win the game for the marines, effectively ending it? Would that not encourage marines to sometimes play offensively?

<!--quoteo(post=1762580:date=Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Example: relocating to the bunker in ns_cerbsiege, and defending the bunker... so when the siege timer is up, the commander can bacon a full loaded assault of squad of heavies + jetpackers to the marine start to battle in the siege room (whose entrance is in ms). Anyone that dies respawns in the bunker, and gets re-equipped for the future attacks. (now that was one hell of a game i played in on the [IAM] clan server, a long time ago lol, and yes we, the marine team did eventually win :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Er, yes. I never played ns_cerbsiege. I love a good story though. I am not entirely sure how this example relates to a never-ending game mode. In particular one where the marines are always playing defensively?

<!--quoteo(post=1762580:date=Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously from that example, the key to this game mode working is the commander CANNOT be compromised by loosing resource towers... so he'll have to get "automatic" res at some interval (maybe the multiplier is how much territory is captured?). Also the map should mean that the marine start is relatively well defended (castle defense or something similar). Should we call such maps "siege" maps also? or alien sieges? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously.
    This had me puzzled at first, but looking at some of the things above I'll venture a guess: "Turtling in base with a little gun is boring. Marines should have free res so they all have excellent lewt. Turtling in base with a big gun is fun!"<!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.
    I very much support scaling res flow after how much territory a team controls. I could swear that's how it's done in NS1, I think it's working out pretty well.
    Name it "Siege Mod". Then the maps are siege maps.

<!--quoteo(post=1762580:date=Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Apr 4 2010, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Note: my idea implies a harder to win map... not so much a never-ending game mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I understand "wiping out", your idea implies a game mode that can only be won by marines. And I don't see why your idea would take particularly long. Giving marines lots of res would shorten a game considerably?

Again, I don't intend to be condescending. I just really didn't understand... anything. I am sorry if this derails the topic.

<!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro-->* I added that last line, I felt it was not too much of a stretch. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    3 hour long 1.04 games were not the norm, and didn't even happen on every map. They were a delight because they were a curiosity, not because we all wanted to end the game with 85 deaths after the 28th failed RedRoom assault.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762671:date=Apr 4 2010, 04:46 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Apr 4 2010, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 hour long 1.04 games were not the norm, and didn't even happen on every map. They were a delight because they were a curiosity, not because we all wanted to end the game with 85 deaths after the 28th failed RedRoom assault.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You got a point there :P

I think it was more so that people didn't want to stop playing NS so instead of leaving the server, they just stayed and played like zombies xD
    I will say this though: <b>Longer games are good</b>. To that end, to hell with this '15-20 minute games' bull######. I love long-lasting multiplayer games with the minor stipulation that the game actually not be boring to play for a long time. 3 hours is an extreme, but 1.5 is ideal.

The current love of my multiplayer life is Mechwarrior: Living Legends and I play on servers where the rounds are 100 minutes long. Anything less feels too short. However it's important to point out that MWLL is a very slow game. It can take a Heavy or Assault chassis several minutes to get to the front lines.

That said, long games provide a sense of continuity. Rather than the game ending and everyone leaving / new people joining, everything starting over and all mixed up again, you keep the same players and establish a sort of camaraderie with them. You know what happened from beginning to end, and most importantly, how quickly a round is and how fast the action is is typically inversely proportional to the amount of teamwork and flexibility the game offers. A 15 minute NS2 game makes me picture everyone running around in a cluster###### more than happy to do their own thing.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Agreed about the length of games. I've played HoN for a bit and when it was first released the games ended in around 20-25 minutes.
    It really felt like it was much too short and many of my friends just blatantly threw the game away, and rightly so after months that I picked it up again the length of a game now lasts for around 45-55min. It's so much more satisfying, even if it's a loosing game you get to play with the same people long enough to have something to talk about after it is done simply because you had more at stake and you get to know the people better. Also the option to concede a game does outweigh the length since if it's really f*cked up at the very start it could only last as short as 5min. (this should be considered for NS2 honestly).

There it is 5v5, I can imagine 16v16 (wasn't it?) in NS2 to end in ~20min and also at the same time bring RTS to the FPS could use a <i>bit </i>more time than that.
    It could be a "golden sweet-spot" for FPS-games but honestly NS2 isn't FPS and certainly doesn't mimic Modern Warfare 2 or the like; it's a FPS/RTS.
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    Longer =/= more fun in my book. There's an extreme on both sides, but I find 20-40 minute games to be optimal. Long games to me are drawn out and boring stalemates most of the time. HoN is a perfect example like you mentioned, it's pretty retarded when you're playing far late game and everybody is farmed up with amazing items and you're basically waiting 5 minutes before somebody engages because of how crucial it is. It becomes a turtle-fest and a game of buyback and probably one mistake losing the game instead of having a basically even game suddenly turn tides. If you aren't a carry, you're basically going to do very little besides a few seconds of stuns and support spells before you get destroyed by the farmed people. But rolls that turn into 15 minute concedes are no better.

Basically, time is an indicator about how dumb a stalemate is. It doesn't mean a game can't be back and forth for the entire time, in which case it'd be okay, but I just don't want the game to be long for the sake of being long. It needs to be longer for a meaningful reason (close games), not just because the game's made into a stalemate and a slow advance for the better team.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762712:date=Apr 5 2010, 03:32 AM:name=brownymaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brownymaster @ Apr 5 2010, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Basically, time is an indicator about how dumb a stalemate is. It doesn't mean a game can't be back and forth for the entire time, in which case it'd be okay, but I just don't want the game to be long for the sake of being long. It needs to be longer for a meaningful reason (close games), not just because the game's made into a stalemate and a slow advance for the better team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is true. For a long game to be fun, it has to <i>feel</i> like victory is a realistic objective even when it is not. People are looking for a perpetual state of back-and-forth midgame, not a hopeless stalemate.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1762722:date=Apr 4 2010, 11:01 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Apr 4 2010, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People are looking for a perpetual state of back-and-forth midgame, not a hopeless stalemate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, maybe not a perpetual back-and-forth. Wildly swinging control is not a good thing. However, a solid tense give-and-take is awesome.

A tense pseudo-stalemate.... not so fun.

And I hope it's obvious to all that stretching gameplay for the purely for the sake of longer games = bad idea. There had better be a good reason and lots of action involved in that extra time to make it worth it.