Engine test starting

14567810»

Comments

• ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    I think they should select engine testers after how many keys people have bought. (You might wonder why I say this :P)
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1760636:date=Mar 22 2010, 05:19 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Mar 22 2010, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You might wonder why I say this :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Go on, enlighten the rest of us.
  • HoundDawgHoundDawg Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3362Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760636:date=Mar 22 2010, 10:19 AM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Mar 22 2010, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think they should select engine testers after how many keys people have bought. (You might wonder why I say this :P)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sure favoring the rich will be as brilliant as limiting their testing scope to competitive clans like in NS1. Those awesome testers that discovered bugs, which they wouldn't report so they could have a competitive exploited edge. Oh yeah, sounds like a good direction.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1760639:date=Mar 22 2010, 06:28 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Mar 22 2010, 06:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sure favoring the rich will be as brilliant as limiting their testing scope to competitive clans like in NS1. Those awesome testers that discovered bugs, which they wouldn't report so they could have a competitive exploited edge. Oh yeah, sounds like a good direction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fact check? Stop making things up, this didn't happen.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    edited March 2010
    The vast majority of playtesters through NS's lifetime were actually not competetive (or arguably competent) players - which has been a point of contention for a long time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1760643:date=Mar 22 2010, 10:36 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Mar 22 2010, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fact check? Stop making things up, this didn't happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It did... and before Constellation. Really though, idc what you believe... I and many others knew what was going on and we had to ban full clans because of their exploit use even in pug servers.

Anyway, keep waiting for engine testing....
  • MidoMido Join Date: 2004-04-05 Member: 27742Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760673:date=Mar 22 2010, 02:56 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Mar 22 2010, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It did... and before Constellation. Really though, idc what you believe... I and many others knew what was going on and we had to ban full clans because of their exploit use even in pug servers.

Anyway, keep waiting for engine testing....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's HoundDawg! Are you going to be remaking freefall? Please say yes!
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    i think this might be worth mentioning... while my main machine will run ns2 just fine and is actually a very common configuration among ns players, my newer laptop is within the specs of ns2 but it cant run ns1 at playable frame rates.

so considering its questionable that my laptop will run ns2, and that my laptop is most likely VERY common (considering it was one of the laptops that sold out at walmart on black friday this past year), u think i could be let in on the engine test to help you guys out? :P

oh btw, if the end result is my laptop being able to run ns2 decently, i will be buying a second key for my girlfriend to play with me, so theres more money in this deal for you guys!
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1760758:date=Mar 22 2010, 11:50 PM:name=Drummer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drummer @ Mar 22 2010, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760758"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think this might be worth mentioning... while my main machine will run ns2 just fine and is actually a very common configuration among ns players, my newer laptop is within the specs of ns2 but it cant run ns1 at playable frame rates.

so considering its questionable that my laptop will run ns2, and that my laptop is most likely VERY common (considering it was one of the laptops that sold out at walmart on black friday this past year), u think i could be let in on the engine test to help you guys out? :P

oh btw, if the end result is my laptop being able to run ns2 decently, i will be buying a second key for my girlfriend to play with me, so theres more money in this deal for you guys!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Keep in mind that NS1 is OLD. This means that newer technology/drivers may not properly handle it, and sometimes programming an application one way, will work for one time period but won't work very well in the future. Also, the way applications handles everything varies from game to game. I.E. I can run FEAR absolutely brilliantly on my laptop but I get an FPS of <13 in Unreal Tournament unless I'm looking directly at my feet, even if there is no one else but me on a given map.

Chances are NS2 will work just fine on your lappy if its within minimum specs, and if not then patches/fixes will be released accordingly (if it runs slowly, it could just be an issue with how the game handles your video card, rather than it being your computer entirely).
    <!--quoteo(post=1760754:date=Mar 22 2010, 09:37 PM:name=Mido)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mido @ Mar 22 2010, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's HoundDawg! Are you going to be remaking freefall? Please say yes!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sure, eventually. Like in NS1, I'll be making the unique maps that lean toward more "fun" play rather than the traditional "serious" maps. For TF2, you'll find my maps on voogru's dodgeball servers.

First, we need to get past this engine test, then get some sort of alpha to see how the gameplay will unfold along with engine mechanics. Things like fall damage, distances, spawning, elevator and ladder support, weapon and turret ranges, jetpacks, etc...
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1760673:date=Mar 22 2010, 08:56 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Mar 22 2010, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It did... and before Constellation. Really though, idc what you believe... I and many others knew what was going on and we had to ban full clans because of their exploit use even in pug servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You may not care what I believe, but I care about you spreading lies.

If you're going to accuse competitive playtesters/veteran programme participants of willfully sabotaging bug testing you had damn better back your claims up with proof or shut up. I've participated in both and did my best to help improve the game. I find your slanderous remarks very offensive.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I have to say that while I was never happy with the behaviour of a subset of the veteran programme, I don't recall any evidence that exploits were being covered up, least of all on a wide scale.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    In fact, as someone responsible for fixing exploits throughout the lifetime of NS 3.0, I can tell you that it is nearly always clan players who came forward with detailed information about how to reproduce an exploit under controlled conditions. These clan players were both PTs and non-PTs and one or two of them had even previously been vets.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There's a large difference between reporting the exploits semi-publicly, and not reporting them at all. Just because you didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't reported the developers.

In fact, I would hope they were reported privately to the developers before anyone else was notified.

While I don't agree with the Veteran program at all, I don't recall of any instances where I saw anyone abusing exploits in the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1760887:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:15 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Mar 23 2010, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You may not care what I believe, but I care about you spreading lies.

If you're going to accuse competitive playtesters/veteran programme participants of willfully sabotaging bug testing you had damn better back your claims up with proof or shut up. I've participated in both and did my best to help improve the game. I find your slanderous remarks very offensive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're not lies and I know it wasn't every clan, which I didn't say everyone either. There were a few clans in there that were obviously letting some exploits go so they could use them once the versions shipped. These were pretty big exploits, which yeah eventually were fixed with a quick patch, yet were not taken care of immediately before release. It was obvious that they didn't report them and they were big enough to be considered hacks and therefore bannable from our servers.

Sorry, I don't remember the clan tags as it was many years ago, nor do I have any records from the NS1 servers we once hosted. I was just sarcastingly stating that segregating based on # of pre-orders a person has made is going to have a measure of fail just like limiting testing to competitive clans did in the past. If you can honestly think that it was 100% honest and full exploit reporting among all of those clans involved, you're fooling yourself.

There are going to be competitive clans that will utilize every exploit they can in order to gain a competitive advantage in leagues, and being immature, they'll carry it over into public servers to dominate the charts there.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Can you at least remember the specific exploit?
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2010
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I recall there being exploits however if that was the case you would be the one banned and it wasnt related to NS it was in every hl/mod. Please could you describe how did they gain advantage, maybe Ill remember more.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Okay, and we're back on topic! :D

I didn't get an email yet :[
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    I got an e-mail.

According to it, UW will enlarge my penis in the next 7 days.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1761059:date=Mar 24 2010, 01:03 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Mar 24 2010, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got an e-mail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Me too!

(Yeah, you got me.)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761059:date=Mar 24 2010, 10:03 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Mar 24 2010, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got an e-mail.

According to it, UW will enlarge my penis in the next 7 days.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    all jokin aside, did you really?
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1761072:date=Mar 25 2010, 01:41 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Mar 25 2010, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all jokin aside, did you really?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We'll see in 7 days. Until then I'll be watching my penis closely.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    I got email that the so called "engine test" actually will be Alpha release they are releasing it this Friday.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i didnt got an email like yours ... i hope you are right ... im getting nervous ^^
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I hope to god this thread gets locked. We don't need "Alpha this friday" or anything dumb more like that said. This topics dead in the water, is it not?
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1761215:date=Mar 26 2010, 12:36 AM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Mar 26 2010, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1761215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got email that the so called "engine test" actually will be Alpha release they are releasing it this Friday.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LIAARRRRR!!!!
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yah, this is becoming an off topic spam fest so I am shutting it down.
This discussion has been closed.