Engine test starting

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    We're gonna test it eventually, being obsessed with it is not gonna make it come faster.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1757832:date=Mar 7 2010, 07:09 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Mar 7 2010, 07:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're gonna test it eventually, being obsessed with it is not gonna make it come faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sure it will, just like refreshing a package tracking page makes the package come faster.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757870:date=Mar 7 2010, 07:08 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Mar 7 2010, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure it will, just like refreshing a package tracking page makes the package come faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its been scientifically proven!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys arguing about specific times on the day pre-orders opened are ridiculous, I highly doubt they'll invite so few people on the first wave that any first day people won't get in.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1757899:date=Mar 8 2010, 12:10 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Mar 8 2010, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys arguing about specific times on the day pre-orders opened are ridiculous, I highly doubt they'll invite so few people on the first wave that any first day people won't get in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You never know ;)
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Testing has probably already begun but with really close and inside people. People who know how to keep their mouth shut.
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757995:date=Mar 8 2010, 03:23 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Mar 8 2010, 03:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Testing has probably already begun but with really close and inside people. People who know how to keep their mouth shut.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, they have already revealed this information.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1758004:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:10 AM:name=oma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oma @ Mar 8 2010, 10:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, they have already revealed this information.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

... cool down snooops ... slow ... take a deep breathe ... ok ... im chillin ... im one with the universe and the energy ...

i wanted to be some kind of special thats the reason why i bought the special ultimate bla bla edition and now im not one of the first guys who play that game?? ... where is the bridge ... or a wall for some headbang...
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1758011:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:20 AM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Mar 8 2010, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... cool down snooops ... slow ... take a deep breathe ... ok ... im chillin ... im one with the universe and the energy ...

i wanted to be some kind of special thats the reason why i bought the special ultimate bla bla edition and now im not one of the first guys who play that game?? ... where is the bridge ... or a wall for some headbang...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They released the engine test (Not the alpha) to a few people, found some bugs to fix and that's what they're doing now. For those who preorded the SE, we should be getting the engine test quite soon. But what the engine test is exactly, we're not sure. You haven't missed out on anything that was advertised with the SE.

This is all just bonus.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Its going to be a very rough version of what makes the game tick. For the engine test I don't expect much content at all.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    03.19.10 : Engine testing
    05.25.10 : alpha
    07.25.10 : beta
    09.11.10 : Final release
    What do you think?
    Haha, we will see ^^
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Maybe they'll give me the engine test tomorrow for my bday. (Probably not)
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    I don't think they would announce something like this and make the community wait a few months for it. Release dates for the complete product is one thing, small tests are another.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Ok UWE, it's my Birthday today and LucasArts sent me their second rejection notice. Time for some good news plz?
  • HoundDawgHoundDawg Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3362Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758316:date=Mar 9 2010, 06:48 AM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Mar 9 2010, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think they would announce something like this and make the community wait a few months for it. Release dates for the complete product is one thing, small tests are another.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's been almost a year since the promise of an Alpha release "soon" to pre-orders. What do you think about their timeframes now?

Go play some other game while you wait for something true and real to finally get released.
    The NS2 team was developing a new engine and had to reconstruct some things, also I'm very sure they are working hard on the game and it takes time to develop one.

Why announce the engine test if its not ready until 20XX? It doesn't make sense for the developers to advertise a pre-alpha and not deliver it within some reasonable time frame.

As far as playing another, I'm sure thats what everyone in this community has been doing since NS2 is not available :)
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758371:date=Mar 9 2010, 07:48 PM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Mar 9 2010, 07:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The NS2 team was developing a new engine and had to reconstruct some things, also I'm very sure they are working hard on the game and it takes time to develop one.

Why announce the engine test if its not ready until 20XX? It doesn't make sense for the developers to advertise a pre-alpha and not deliver it within some reasonable time frame.

As far as playing another, I'm sure thats what everyone in this community has been doing since NS2 is not available :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /me totally agree with you and thinks it' the best thing thats ever have been said around here^^
    <!--quoteo(post=1758371:date=Mar 9 2010, 11:48 AM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Mar 9 2010, 11:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The NS2 team was developing a new engine and had to reconstruct some things, also I'm very sure they are working hard on the game and it takes time to develop one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's the thing.... they've had the engine supposedly done and most of the models done before pre-orders. Their own team has even mentioned it on several occassions. Yet, where is it? Sorry, but their announcements are no longer believable and this engine-test announcement to the wide community is just another example of why I keep losing trust and faith in UWE.

You don't see game developers like Blizzard taking pre-orders with a promise to get into a beta and not deliver for nearly a year. UWE had promised to be even more open and close to the community. I'm still waiting for some truth and tired of the baited lies.

If they intended a narrow scope engine test, they shouldn't have made a wide announcement. Just inform the select small group of individuals and go from there. It's rediculous to see so many people get their hopes up on here for just an engine test. I have no idea why some of you are still defending actions like these? I know you wouldn't be so supportive of your boss if he promised a bonus and it's nearly a year and you haven't yet got it yet. Wake up already.
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758374:date=Mar 9 2010, 02:08 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Mar 9 2010, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't see game developers like Blizzard taking pre-orders with a promise to get into a beta and not deliver for nearly a year. UWE had promised to be even more open and close to the community. I'm still waiting for some truth and tired of the baited lies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

err.... i know this has been pointed out before, but I figure since UWE keeps getting compared to Blizzard and the likes, maybe people don't understand this.

<!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->UWE IS AN INDIE DEV TEAM<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

yea, we're all sick of waiting for the alpha. yea, they said "it'll come 'soon'" WAY too early, but good god man, don't act like they're satan because they haven't released the alpha yet. The whole purpose of the preorders was to make money so they could afford to keep developing the game and keep in all the features they talked about. YES, I agree, they should have made note of this to potential pre-orderers, rather than saying the alpha would be out "soon", but so what. A dev team is made up of people. Guess what, people make mistakes. Call the alpha announcement a lapse of judgement.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1758374:date=Mar 9 2010, 02:08 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Mar 9 2010, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...I keep losing trust and faith in UWE.

I'm still waiting for some truth and tired of the baited lies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I must be missing something.... this is the forums for a video game, right?
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Games get delayed all the time.

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->This is inevitable, and you should really stop being surprised when it's been going for decades now. Just settle down and thank god you're not waiting for a Valve/Blizzard title.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
  • NyfNyf Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70468Members
    Why is everyone freaking out over an engine test? It probably won't have any real content; it'll probably just run the engine, render some things, do some pre-defined set thing, and be done with it. I'm expecting more of a stress test, kind of like what HL2 had way back in the day with the stained-glass Freeman.
    Will this be kind of neat? Sure.
    But, sheesh. For a team of guys as small as UWE you've gotta expect things will be slower, and then you've gotta take a chill pill.
    You all will be the same crowd that will ###### and moan when any bug is found ever and wonder why they are taking days to fix it when you really think it should be fixed in a few minutes. If bug fixing were that easy, it is unlikely the bug would have existed in the first place. I would assume this is especially true with something as complex as an engine.
    So why don't we all be glad we can help them when they need us to help them instead of be upset when they take a bit longer than we expected.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    Hahah, okay so they said the Alpha would be soon, what, a few weeks back? It hasn't exactly been a year. Besides look at the Spark editor, that's their engine right their, that's half of the core of NS2 right on our desktops.

They anounced the engine test last week, said it would come soon and mentioned that they're fixing some bugs before they release to a larger player base. It's nice that they're going to give programmers something with the engine test, and it might give us the freedom to walk in maps, but really, it's been over a week for something so trivial to wait for.
    agreed. I'm psyched for the scripting tools. I've been learning some lua lately, and i'm interested to see how it's applied in the NS2 context. And to anyone who is complaining about the vagueness of "soon", i'm much happier with that than having concrete dates that they fail to meet; i.e - Black Mesa? january, "We PROMISE we will release 2009" .... then, late december, they say "sorry... we won't make it in time for release in 2009". It's now a quarter of the way into 2010 and we've had hardly any update on status for that project. So i'm happy w/ my "soon" and weekly updates from UWE.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758396:date=Mar 10 2010, 12:53 AM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 10 2010, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hahah, okay so they said the Alpha would be soon, what, a few weeks back? It hasn't exactly been a year. Besides look at the Spark editor, that's their engine right their, that's half of the core of NS2 right on our desktops.

They anounced the engine test last week, said it would come soon and mentioned that they're fixing some bugs before they release to a larger player base. It's nice that they're going to give programmers something with the engine test, and it might give us the freedom to walk in maps, but really, it's been over a week for something so trivial to wait for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Who are you trying to cheat here?

Since pre-orders came we all expected that the alpha would come before fall 2009 which is almost 1 year. Alpha soon was stated again January 6th 2010 aswell guess what thats 3months "again".

As for engine test it was supposed to be introduced "shortly" instead of "soon". 3months seems approriate
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Guys now is a time to be serious and stop petty squabbling between one another. This thread has ran it's course and it would be nice to see it locked, all you guys are doing is saying arguing over the idea of an alpha test and it is nothing but negativity after negativity.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758389:date=Mar 9 2010, 11:38 PM:name=Nyf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nyf @ Mar 9 2010, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is everyone freaking out over an engine test?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We're fanboys. Also, whatever the engine test is, it will ship with scripting API.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758379:date=Mar 9 2010, 12:51 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Mar 9 2010, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Games get delayed all the time.

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->This is inevitable, and you should really stop being surprised when it's been going for decades now. Just settle down and thank god you're not waiting for a Valve/Blizzard title.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you guys are all missing the point I was making. Sure, the game is delayed... delayed... and even more delayed. Has UWE even attempted to let us know that? Let us know WHY... what it is they're working on, etc..?

Speaking of Valve. When they first started with HL1, they made all sorts of claims of doing things different than the major companies. They were an Indie startup much like UWE. They didn't start an engine from scratch, they took the Quake engine as a base and then built on top of it. The current HL2 engine is still using that same base code today. Regardless, even though they did offer an SDK and questionable support for the MOD community, which was a change from the major players, they still had their "valve" timeline. Even TF2 was a failed announced endeavor for years.

It's no secret that UWE has been working on their new engine for years. They've had that creep growth concept video forever. The point is, I was really hoping that UWE would... for once... honestly be that one game developer that was different and did make a close connection with the community.

True, if it weren't for the Twitter posts, we wouldn't have a clue if they're working on anything. We wouldn't have clues that the game is really far from done as they keep trying to convince everyone in hopes for more pre-order sales. The fact still remains though, that they're making simple basic mistakes that many companies before them have made. This is like history repeating itself all over again. You joke about Valve, yet UWE is proving to be not much better.

No, I'm not angy, just greatly disappointed. I truely loved NS1 over all other FPS games of its time. I was glad to hear that they were not going to use the HL2 engine as the same flaws we had in NS1 (e.g. fail elevators) would not be in NS2. Indie company or not, they need to man up and come clean with the community more. If this is how things are now before release, I'd hate to see how things go after NS2 releases (if it ever does.... before they run out of funding).

Then again, with so many of you defending the way things are now, they don't need to.
    okay, HoundDawg, that' sounds a lot less like ranting. thanks for articulating (i'm not trying to be a jerk, seriously, thank you for calmly stating a valid opinion). Honestly, I don't think you should let yourself get your hopes up so much about any dev being that tight with the community. It's a lot of work to make a game. If a dev spends too much time showing you everything they're doing, that means they're spending time doing writeups that is time that could be spent working on the game.

Valve tends to be silent about games up until near release date, then the game gets pushed back a bunch, and we really only ever see a few screens, maybe a trailer or something, but imho, valve's games are always very polished (yes, i know about the fail-launch of HL2, but the game itself was fantastic, so were the episodes - albeit short, and tf2 is one of my favorite games still). Their silence doesn't indicate lack of progress. It possibly indicates extreme focus. I say this with extra confidence, given valve's recent carpet-bombing of announcements/releases (Steam Beta UI, Steam/Source for Mac, Portal 2). When they are quiet, a lot is still happening.

I agree, though, it would be nice if UWE would give us some more detailed status updates, rather than little media-type releases, but I don't disbelieve that there's progress being made
This discussion has been closed.