So what have I missed?

FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
Hey all,

Its been a while, I was just curious to see what I have missed with the development of NS2, it seems to be coming along quite well!

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    lerk spikes killed ns2, we're all pretty much just posting here ironically now
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey FW, everyones just refreshing the news pages hoping to see the alpha starting.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Basicly you missed a lot of drama and trolling when they didn't release updates/news, and a lot of drama and trolling when they released some new information.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Most people are busy feeding the trolls. Otherwise, just check the NS2 homepage for all the news updates.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Yeah thats what I figured. Thats the main reason I stayed away.

But the game seems to be progressing quite nicely.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758056:date=Mar 8 2010, 03:07 PM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Mar 8 2010, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But the game seems to be progressing quite nicely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess so, if you can say such thing from a game that was supposed to be out 3 months ago.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1758057:date=Mar 8 2010, 03:15 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 8 2010, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess so, if you can say such thing from a game that was supposed to be out 3 months ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except like they said in December, the amount of preorders allowed them to do things they didn't think they'd have the money to do, and so their schedule was changed to reflect the expanded content they're able to put in ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1758058:date=Mar 8 2010, 03:19 PM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 8 2010, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except like they said in December, the amount of preorders allowed them to do things they didn't think they'd have the money to do, and so their schedule was changed to reflect the expanded content they're able to put in ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah. I doubt they would've had it out last year even without additional content with so many concepts and open things being going on even now, but I can't really complain that much as long as they make it better with the extra stuff.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758057:date=Mar 8 2010, 04:15 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 8 2010, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess so, if you can say such thing from a game that was supposed to be out 3 months ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

C'mon Bacillus. I don't know you, but from the impression I've gotten you're far too much of a gamer to be putting any stock in release dates.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758069:date=Mar 8 2010, 08:05 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 8 2010, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->C'mon Bacillus. I don't know you, but from the impression I've gotten you're far too much of a gamer to be putting any stock in release dates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Although I do understand your point, frustration aint coming from single event. It more like a sum of empty promises and dumbing the game past reasonable point while releasing "cool stuff" to increase pre-orders as if the game would fail after release.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758072:date=Mar 8 2010, 07:25 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Mar 8 2010, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although I do understand your point, frustration aint coming from single event. It more like a sum of empty promises and dumbing the game past reasonable point while releasing "cool stuff" to increase pre-orders as if the game would fail after release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Your sig suits you well.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758069:date=Mar 8 2010, 04:05 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 8 2010, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->C'mon Bacillus. I don't know you, but from the impression I've gotten you're far too much of a gamer to be putting any stock in release dates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I should've known better. I had high hopes for UWE, especially considering such short time span from preorders opening to release date (about 3 months or so?) and small dev team able to estimate things with better accuracy, but looks like it was all the same. Can't blame them too much for doing it like everyone else in the business though.

And yeah, I admit it has got frustration in it too. I think ENSL is playing third 'last NS1 season ever' in a row now. The new site got up, there was a lot of exitement in the air, people got back from inactivity and so on, now it's all slowly degrading back again.

Expected? Probably. A bit depressing to witness? Definitely.
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Expected? Probably. A bit depressing to witness? Definitely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1758057:date=Mar 8 2010, 07:15 AM:name=)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ( @ Mar 8 2010, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess so, if you can say such thing from a game that was supposed to be out 3 months ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1758058:date=Mar 8 2010, 07:19 AM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 8 2010, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->their schedule was changed to reflect the expanded content they're able to put in ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1758060:date=Mar 8 2010, 07:26 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 8 2010, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah. I doubt they would've blahblahblah<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1758069:date=Mar 8 2010, 08:05 AM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 8 2010, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->C'mon Bacillus. I don't know you, but from the impression I've gotten you're far too much of a gamer to be putting any stock in release dates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1758081:date=Mar 8 2010, 08:42 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 8 2010, 08:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I should've known better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1758053:date=Mar 8 2010, 06:45 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Mar 8 2010, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most people are busy feeding the trolls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much all that happens. New updates and the discussions that follow (valid posts including ones with devs) make it easy.
    I'm following Mount&Blade Warband, NS2, and Heroes of Newerth. Works for me.
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758081:date=Mar 8 2010, 05:42 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 8 2010, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Expected? Probably. A bit depressing to witness? Definitely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I hear you. I'm a Valve fan lately and I followed Lionhead back in the Black & White days, so maybe I've built up an immunity. Just nod, smile, and don't pay them any mind until it's in your hard drive.

Most of my early NS2 exposure came from Enigma periodically making off-topic posts in Gotfrag about how the latest announced feature had ruined the game (although with Autobite I wouldn't blame him).
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Measure <a href="http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/rubberbands.img_assist_custom.JPG" target="_blank">this</a> while you wait :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1758099:date=Mar 8 2010, 06:15 PM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Mar 8 2010, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Measure <a href="http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/rubberbands.img_assist_custom.JPG" target="_blank">this</a> while you wait :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Meh, I'm still happy that I'm not one of the guys having those Duke Nukem Forever preorder receipes.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    It sure been a while, GUD server is now EvolveNS. ;)
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Engine test should be starting "soon" with preorderers, hopefully followed shortly by an alpha.

Also, everything is ruined forever, and everything the devs do is gold.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758127:date=Mar 8 2010, 07:41 PM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Mar 8 2010, 07:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sure been a while, GUD server is now EvolveNS. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much the only place I play, although I'm pretty sure I'm baddie listed. I can't stand BAD anymore after playing there a fair amount, since it seems like half the team will invariably be retarded. In one of my recent games there, we had <i>one person</i> drop an RT at the start of the round on a team of 11 aliens, while I made the only chamber. I'm not good at the game, but at least I make an <i>effort</i> not to be terrible.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Yeah I have been playing Global Agenda lately, but the game is getting stale. Giving where I am in my career now, its probably a good idea to take a little break from competitive gaming and just play here and there.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758053:date=Mar 8 2010, 08:45 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Mar 8 2010, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most people are busy feeding the trolls. Otherwise, just check the NS2 homepage for all the news updates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.
  • FreddehFreddeh Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18520Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1758144:date=Mar 8 2010, 11:50 AM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Mar 8 2010, 11:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I have been playing Global Agenda lately, but the game is getting stale. Giving where I am in my career now, its probably a good idea to take a little break from competitive gaming and just play here and there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I MISS YOU FW!!!!

Aherm anyway, I just lurk the forums myself, but the game is coming along. I won't pass any judgement on it until I play it though.

And having been in the CB for Global Agenda I'm not surprised that you're already getting bored of it...I got bored of it after like 10 matches and the game never really improved a whole lot between the 6 months they were in CB and then OB to release. Depressing really as its a decent idea for a game, just not the best implementation or just shouldn't be a mmo with the content thats actually in it.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    I think it is a great thing what UWE is doing, taking their time to really fine tune the game into how they really want it to be.

Far too many game producers release crappy games because the deadline and budget runs out. A few companies though, like Valve and Blizzard has the resources to go past a deadline to really put that extra into it.
    Blizzard was making a game called Starcraft Ghost, but it never was released, even though it was close to being finished, the only reason being that Blizzard was not happy with it. The same thing for Half Life 2 happened, Valve wasn't really too happy about it, so they redid most of the game.
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    You missed a lot of people posting the same pointless threads. Kinda like...
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758174:date=Mar 8 2010, 05:01 PM:name=Freddeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Freddeh @ Mar 8 2010, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758174"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I MISS YOU FW!!!!

Aherm anyway, I just lurk the forums myself, but the game is coming along. I won't pass any judgement on it until I play it though.

And having been in the CB for Global Agenda I'm not surprised that you're already getting bored of it...I got bored of it after like 10 matches and the game never really improved a whole lot between the 6 months they were in CB and then OB to release. Depressing really as its a decent idea for a game, just not the best implementation or just shouldn't be a mmo with the content thats actually in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah it was fun, but the AvA is a huge disappointment. Zones are open 7 days a week and most decent agencies require you to be on 4 of the 7. I just don't have that kind of time.

<!--quoteo(post=1758206:date=Mar 8 2010, 08:00 PM:name=Thief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thief @ Mar 8 2010, 08:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You missed a lot of people posting the same pointless threads. Kinda like...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I missed the part where people are forcing you to read these type of threads.

I love the people who ###### about threads yet can't be torn away to post in them ;)
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    GA was really cool and I would have probably bought it if it either came out 6 months earlier or didn't require a monthly sub. Although I did have issues about the lack of content and my schedule also prevents me from really being in one of the top competitive agencies. There are some games where if I can't compete at the top level I don't even want to play them and GA was that kind of game.

But yeah, you missed basically nothing. Some people are raging because the lerk is going back to a support class instead of a skulk that can fly. Others are mad because the game takes time to develop. I'm not sure where I stand on NS2 myself as a lot of the ideas sound really... questionable... but it may play well. We'll see during the alpha, which sounds like it could be coming out in the next four to six weeks.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758142:date=Mar 8 2010, 02:44 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 8 2010, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty much the only place I play, although I'm pretty sure I'm baddie listed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't be too concerned about that, the admins are freaking ridiculous sometimes, they want to baddie list even the pro's when then make only one mistake. lol
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    edited March 2010
    Would like to give a shoutout to battlefield bad company 2.

Despite the horrid DRM, frequent bugs, broken guns (semi auto shotty, 416), squishy vehicles, sniperspam, consolistis, and 12year old player community it is an amazing game. There's nothing like it in the world for sheer destruction and excitement. Every RPG hit is an ear ringing boom and every tank fires powerful shells. Sniper bullets snap and building creak and groan under the stress of repeated explosive hits. You run, constantly, sprint never ends, running from one bit of cover - and then to the next when your cover is blown apart by a 40mm IFV autocannon. The game is a total gem.

I say this here because it is keeping me interested in my PC until NS2 comes out. I fill my time with other beauties until NS2 is here.
  • VERYALERTPREDATORYDOGVERYALERTPREDATORYDOG Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70884Members
    THE DEVS ARE MAKING NS BAD AND THISG AME NEEDS MORE POWERFUL LASOR GUNS WITH DESERT EAGLES LIKE MODERM WAREFARE THRTWO
  • HozartisHozartis Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68668Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758255:date=Mar 8 2010, 11:52 PM:name=VERYALERTPREDATORYDOG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VERYALERTPREDATORYDOG @ Mar 8 2010, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->THE DEVS ARE MAKING NS BAD AND THISG AME NEEDS MORE POWERFUL LASOR GUNS WITH DESERT EAGLES LIKE MODERM WAREFARE THRTWO<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True.