Skulk Leap Modification

Battle-BugBattle-Bug Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70523Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Changing direction in mid air?</div><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Background:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
A problem I saw a lot in NS1 was that skulks could leap and change directions in mid air. This move has been around since Super Mario Bros, but I don't believe it belongs in Natural Selection. No known animal without wings can change directions in mid air that quickly. You may argue that NS2 is not meant to be realistic, but watching a skulk fly around a corner in mid air just doesn't look right.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Suggestion:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Disable the ability of skulks to change direction of travel in mid air. I do believe they should be allowed to turn 360 degrees (spin to face a new direction), but they still have to fly in the direction they were going when they leaped. Also, they should be able to head down towards the ground for a shorter leap.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Result:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
One less exploit in the game.
<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>
Notes:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
-Some of you may argue that skulks somehow rely on their ability to round a corner. However, a skulk can easily hit the ground or a wall and leap off of it in the second direction.

-This is not meant to affect any flying aliens or jetpacks because they CAN fly. It is not meant to affect any ground characters, including marines, onos, gorges, etc. because they travel slow enough that these maneuvers are more about jumping on ledges and such and less about avoiding attacks.

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><b>
Note: Please keep all posts objective and constructive. It is ok not to like this suggestion, but it is not ok to be outright rude. If you don't like this suggestion, then please explain what it is exactly you don't like. It is very much appreciated if you provide alternatives to make this idea acceptable.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    Whee lets nerf aliens some more.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1757764:date=Mar 7 2010, 04:41 AM:name=Battle-Bug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Battle-Bug @ Mar 7 2010, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Result:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    One less exploit in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You should stick to your own note being constructive and so on...
    This is not only a stupid result that makes no sense at all regarding gameplay and fun, but also a keyword in combination with aircontrol that results in nasty "discussions".
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>
    Notes:</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    -Some of you may argue that skulks somehow rely on their ability to round a corner. However, a skulk can easily hit the ground or a wall and leap off of it in the second direction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Without aircontrol the skulk leap movement becomes <b>very</b> predictable, making it very easy for marines to hit.
    Even with the probably shorter and less powerful ns2 leap (because it'll be a startability), aircontrol would still spice it up.

It's a joke to label this as a suggestion and ubar idea, when it is basicly just another "let's remove a great and fun feature, because it is a exploit" discussion. And we already had enough of them to know where they lead and that there is no common ground.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    So basically you're reducing leaping to something even more predictable than running on the ground. I think it's quite telling that in your suggestion you can't offer a single benefit from doing this aside from "REALISM"
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited March 2010
    Right now it might be a good idea to go try the movement system for a few hours yourself, then try to come up with a few more disadvantages and advantages. Simple "it's not supposed to work that way" can be counterargumented in a similar manner and you're stuck with a YES/NO discussion.

As for my opinion, I can't see a melee vs ranged game working well without some aircurve. You're simply going to run out of options as a melee lifeform if your approach method is just forward or nothing. At least you need to find some extremely good replacement system at that point.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    Battlebug, it's nice that you're trying but the ideas/suggestions forum is not for spamming any stupid ###### you think up. Aircontrol is important to NS. Stop posting stupid crap.

If the NS universe was realistic all the aliens would be dead because no melee based creature can really stop guys with guns. Lay off the realism garbage and stop making dumb suggestions about changing the reason people liked NS1.
  • Blue21Blue21 Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67970Members
    Are you talking about air control or the fact that a skulks could leap in mid air? I could see the removal of the skulk being able to leap in mid air (Whats it jumping off of) but I think the air control is needed and should never be removed.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757807:date=Mar 7 2010, 09:53 AM:name=Blue21)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue21 @ Mar 7 2010, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you talking about air control or the fact that a skulks could leap in mid air? I could see the removal of the skulk being able to leap in mid air (Whats it jumping off of) but I think the air control is needed and should never be removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Battle-Bug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Battle-Bug)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You may argue that NS2 is not meant to be realistic, but watching a skulk fly around a corner in mid air just doesn't look right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At least I get the picture he's opposing the whole air curve. Haven't seen anyone taking corners by using another leap.
  • Battle-BugBattle-Bug Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70523Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757807:date=Mar 7 2010, 02:53 AM:name=Blue21)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue21 @ Mar 7 2010, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you talking about air control or the fact that a skulks could leap in mid air? I could see the removal of the skulk being able to leap in mid air (Whats it jumping off of) but I think the air control is needed and should never be removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I also believe that the mid-air leap should be removed. It doesn't really make any sense either.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    edited March 2010
    I can cancel a reload as a Marine by quickly switching between my weapons. It makes no sense that by juggling my sidearm I can suddenly shoot with a magazine I've already removed from the weapon, and unlike air control it's <i>definitely</i> an exploit (the long reloads are a very obvious period of intentional vulnerability, and if the devs wanted us to be able to circumvent them in this manner they'd probably have let us do it by <i>shooting</i>). Thus, it clearly needs to die.

I haven't provided any explanation as to why this is bad for the game or how it would be improved by removing it, but since we're wantonly attacking gameplay elements for the sake of "realism", I figured we might as well get the Marines in on the action. I'm surprised, really. Given that you mostly play Marines, I'd expect you to be more aware of their exploits and be quicker on the uptake for getting rid of them.

Oh, and don't even get me started on Mine Ladders. I'm sure those have got to go too, right? That's like, the biggest exploit since immigrant labor.
    <!--quoteo(post=1757845:date=Mar 7 2010, 08:10 AM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 7 2010, 08:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can cancel a reload as a Marine by quickly switching between my weapons. It makes no sense that by juggling my sidearm I can suddenly shoot with a magazine I've already removed from the weapon, and unlike air control it's <i>definitely</i> an exploit (the long reloads are a very obvious period of intentional vulnerability, and if the devs wanted us to be able to circumvent them in this manner they'd probably have let us do it by <i>shooting</i>). Thus, it clearly needs to die.

Oh, and don't even get me started on Mine Ladders. I'm sure those have got to go too, right? That's like, the biggest exploit since immigrant labor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Go start some threads. I look forward to them :)
  • ehshoehsho Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69264Members
    Careful guys, he'll send you a PM about how to only agree with ideas OR ELSE he'll ignore you. I got one of those already.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    No no no no no no no noooo!
    As you say, NS is not meant to be realistic, and this would decrease both fun and skill.
    If it's any consolation, multi-leaps are supposed to emulate skulks being able to leap huge distances in one go, in place of an inevitably annoying charge-up mechanic.
    <!--quoteo(post=1757952:date=Mar 7 2010, 09:33 PM:name=ehsho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ehsho @ Mar 7 2010, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Careful guys, he'll send you a PM about how to only agree with ideas OR ELSE he'll ignore you. I got one of those already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry, but you're mistaken. That pm asked you to keep private anything negative (didn't mention disagreeing with my idea). Failure to do so may result in ending up on my ignore list. I then went on to explain why I didn't want to put anyone on my ignore list. Furthermore, your post just displayed the reason why I sent you (and a few others) that pm.

If anyone would like to see a copy of the pm for verification, please pm me because this should not be discussed on this thread.

Now, lets please stay on topic.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I got one of those PMs too, it's pretty dumb.

This idea has nothing to offer but realism and an answer to what you <i>subjectively</i> and wrongly perceive as an exploit. Your problem/suggestion/result framework is so flawed that I don't even want to begin deconstructing your argument properly so i'll just let you know I think it's terrible. I'm allowed to say it and just because I can't be arsed to explain why I think it is, doesn't make my opinion any less of an opinion.