Acceleration as skulk

xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
Seeing how the NS2 engine is different from what NS1 uses, bunnyhopping will most likely become a thing of the past.

In ns1, the maximum velocity of a skulk while just running was pretty fast. You can move forward, backwards, and side to side at all the same speeds.
The velocity could even be increased with the use of bunnyhopping. The acceleration gained from leap along with bunny hopping helps the skulk maintain a high velocity for some period of time.

This mechanic differentiated the casuals and the competitive.

So what i suggest for the skulk in ns2 is a simple mechanic. You can move forward, backward, and side to side at the same speeds. When you run forward for x amount of time (maybe 3 seconds) the skulk starts to accelerate (1 second?) so that velocity is at its maximum peak. Strafing and jumping does not affect the peak of velocity (holding w and d to run at an angle while jumping to make the skulk unpredictable and harder to hit). Of course if the skulk attaches to the wall, the velocity resets into its normal peak.

Now you can imagine a squad of marines turning a corner in a hallway to see a pack of skulks moving at its fastest speed toward the marines. If the marines don't react quickly enough, you can say hello to dead marines in less that 3 seconds.

Oh how celerity becomes a deadlier weapon as a skulk.

Thoughts? Ideas? Expand? Nerf? Buff? Clarifications?

Comments

• Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    edited March 2010
    Why not just keep bunnyhopping? It's a lot more interesting than holding W.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757749:date=Mar 7 2010, 01:49 AM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 7 2010, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just keep bunnyhopping? It's a lot more interesting than holding W.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its a simpler alternative.

Bunnyhopping is just a glitch in hl1 engine.
  • Battle-BugBattle-Bug Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70523Members
    I'd like to suggest a slight momentary decrease in speed when landing from a jump or a fall. It's <i>slightly </i>realistic and it should spoil any attempt at using repetitious jumping to go faster.
    <!--quoteo(post=1757750:date=Mar 7 2010, 02:54 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Mar 7 2010, 02:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its a simpler alternative.

Bunnyhopping is just a glitch in hl1 engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just because it's an accident doesn't make it a bad thing.

Half of the fundamental strategies of old games are technically exploits.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I'd prefer bhop, but I understand that parts of it need to go.
    There is a dev statement that bhop will be available for skulks, but I guess it doesn't include the strafejump/aircontrol acceleration part, but only a queued jump system to maintain speed.

Ok, so basicly the skulk has two options to close the distance to marines quickly (besides ambushing) according to your idea:
    -simply running forward until acceleration kicks in and adding unpredictable short strafe maneuvers during the approach.
    -using walljump (in addition) to evade bullets (if it will be in ns2).

Possible issues:
    -good players hold forward behind a crate or obstacle in general in order to strafe out and attack with full speed
    -difficult to predict, when the acceleration kicks in, which can screw up your movement in a certain moment (e.g.: getting to a difficult place and all of a sudden you fall into lava, because the acceleration kicks in at the worst possible time)
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    bhop is better. takes more skill.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I'd prefer the user to have some kind of control over when the accelration kicks in. 'X seconds of running' probably makes it feel a bit choppy, since you just have to know when it starts.

3 seconds is also damn long time to be making sound on NS1's logic. You want to be at decent speed when you start making sounds, not a few seconds after it.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited March 2010
    Word of God from the devs, last time I checked, is that bunnyhopping is out and other movement systems are in. For example: Skulk has leap. Always.

Someone correct me if my memories has gone bad.

EDIT: I stand corrected. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=107569&st=0&p=1730475&#entry1730475" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/ind...p;#entry1730475</a>
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking about having it toggleable but leap already fills that role.

Maybe it should be similar to the marine's sprint?
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757750:date=Mar 6 2010, 08:54 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Mar 6 2010, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bunnyhopping is just a glitch in hl1 engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nop, it's a combination of control commands.

To make a simple (but yet not perfectly accurate) analogy, a game engine in that aspect is like a car. They build it with certain movement mechanics, then, by skills, people learn to make tricks and stunts out of it... combining control commands.

I just wish they don't lower the skill bar too much.
  • ehshoehsho Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69264Members
    Just hopin for good ol bhop. Had more fun/time spent bhopping around the map than pew pewing skulks/biting rines.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757906:date=Mar 8 2010, 10:37 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Mar 8 2010, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Word of God from the devs, last time I checked, is that bunnyhopping is out and other movement systems are in. For example: Skulk has leap. Always.

Someone correct me if my memories has gone bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe they have stated this yes.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2010
    The developer team said they wanted to keep movement skilled but intuitive. Bunnyhop wasn't intuitive because it involved using strafe keys to go forward and funny mouse movements so I can understand its drawbacks. What I don't understand is why they can't just keep bunnyhopping but make it so that you hold the +forward key as well. Is this because it's difficult to implement in the engine or what? It's probably a moot point at this stage though I guess.

I don't think slowing aliens down on landing adds any more to the game and it only serves to provide a new source of irritation for players. I also thoroughly think that whatever speed increases skulks are capable of, they should be movement-induced and not simply as a result of some function in the game.
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758067:date=Mar 8 2010, 05:04 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Mar 8 2010, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The developer team said they wanted to keep movement skilled but intuitive. Bunnyhop wasn't intuitive because it involved using strafe keys to go forward and funny mouse movements so I can understand its drawbacks. What I don't understand is why they can't just keep bunnyhopping but make it so that you hold the +forward key as well. Is this because it's difficult to implement in the engine or what? It's probably a moot point at this stage though I guess.

I don't think slowing aliens down on landing adds any more to the game and it only serves to provide a new source of irritation for players. I also thoroughly think that whatever speed increases skulks are capable of, they should be movement-induced and not simply as a result of some function in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quake Engine strafe jumping holds forward, but you have very little air control. This would make it pretty useless on twisty NS1 style maps because your ability to turn corners with speed is extremely limited. Source and GoldSource games have lots of air control, allow you to conserve forward momentum without holding W, and take away most of your air control if you do.

You can still Bhop in TF2, technically; you can maintain speed without holding forward, the game just checks your ground speed to prevent you from actually going faster. Apparently you can still use it to get a smidgen of extra distance on jumps.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758071:date=Mar 8 2010, 04:10 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 8 2010, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quake Engine strafe jumping holds forward, but you have very little air control. This would make it pretty useless on twisty NS1 style maps because your ability to turn corners with speed is extremely limited. Source and GoldSource games have lots of air control, allow you to conserve forward momentum without holding W, and take away most of your air control if you do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd like to have it so that you've got the Quake styled speed gaining _and_ air control without that much effect on speed. The speed gain mechanism is simple and it doesn't punish you for doing wrong things midair, but you still get the depth gameplay wise. Combine that with proper jump timing mechanism and some feedback (cl_showspeed avaible without sv_cheats 1 for example) and the basics can be learned in 5 minutes.
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758115:date=Mar 8 2010, 06:44 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 8 2010, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to have it so that you've got the Quake styled speed gaining _and_ air control without that much effect on speed. The speed gain mechanism is simple and it doesn't punish you for doing wrong things midair, but you still get the depth gameplay wise. Combine that with proper jump timing mechanism and some feedback (cl_showspeed avaible without sv_cheats 1 for example) and the basics can be learned in 5 minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Another thing that really fuddles my amateur bhops is the fact that Skulks stick to walls. Obviously this is a critical gameplay element, but it kinda sucks when grazing a corner or one of those incessant buttresses/pipes/misc ridges that we have <i>bloody everywhere</i> makes me grab on and lose all my speed.
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    Oh and just to repeat: I don't care if it's bhop or not in particular. I'd like to have a movement system that adds depth and challenge and has exact feel. So far bhop related alternatives have been the best ones I've seen and I haven't heard of anyone coming up with better suggestions, so I'm sticking with it for now.
  • HozartisHozartis Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68668Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757749:date=Mar 6 2010, 08:49 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 6 2010, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just keep bunnyhopping? It's a lot more interesting than holding W.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1757799:date=Mar 7 2010, 01:50 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Mar 7 2010, 01:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Possible issues:
    -good players hold forward behind a crate or obstacle in general in order to strafe out and attack with full speed
    -difficult to predict, when the acceleration kicks in, which can screw up your movement in a certain moment (e.g.: getting to a difficult place and all of a sudden you fall into lava, because the acceleration kicks in at the worst possible time)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

According to the idea, it will kick it after 3 seconds (which is a really long time, better for it to be something like 1.5 seconds). This isn't unpredictable. Also, for the idea's sake, assume the developers created a good engine that detects when you've actually be moving and not just running into a wall.

<!--quoteo(post=1757813:date=Mar 7 2010, 04:16 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 7 2010, 04:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 seconds is also damn long time to be making sound on NS1's logic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. I say something like 1.5 to 2 seconds of holding W.

<!--quoteo(post=1758067:date=Mar 8 2010, 11:04 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Mar 8 2010, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The developer team said they wanted to keep movement skilled but intuitive. Bunnyhop wasn't intuitive because it involved using strafe keys to go forward and funny mouse movements so I can understand its drawbacks. What I don't understand is why they can't just keep bunnyhopping but make it so that you hold the +forward key as well. Is this because it's difficult to implement in the engine or what? It's probably a moot point at this stage though I guess.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends. Will the bunnyhopping speed up the already accelerated skulk?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think slowing aliens down on landing adds any more to the game and it only serves to provide a new source of irritation for players. I also thoroughly think that whatever speed increases skulks are capable of, they should be movement-induced and not simply as a result of some function in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A source of irritation for skulks? I think marine players will like that addition.

What do you mean by "movement-induced"? :)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Please for the love of God stop talking about bhop! There will be no bhop!

The only reason we should be talking about bhop is to compare it to the proposed idea of accelerating skulks! Except personally I see this as moot since Skulks get leap.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758165:date=Mar 8 2010, 09:54 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Mar 8 2010, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please for the love of God stop talking about bhop! There will be no bhop!

The only reason we should be talking about bhop is to compare it to the proposed idea of accelerating skulks! Except personally I see this as moot since Skulks get leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...but that last word we've heard on it is that Skulks will have bhop, although that might be a little redundant with 1 Hive Leap
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Marines won't actively "like" aliens being slowed down. Sure, it'll be to their advantage but they won't reap direct enjoyment out of the fact that a skulk is slowed down. They'll just be glad they can kill it more easily which is silly. On the other hand, skulks will actually <i>feel</i> the effect and won't like it. It's implementation is totally unnecessary and reduces the enjoyment of playing as skulk.

You have to ask yourself why you're adding it. Is it because you feel that aliens are too over-powered? If so, there are other nerfs you can implement that don't reduce the fun behind physically playing the game. You want players to feel as unhindered by the environment as possible. For this reason, I don't like the boost to speed after X seconds. It'll create a situation where initial movements feel slow and laborious simply because you know you <i>could</i> be going faster. I think as a developer I would try to avoid this sensation at all costs.

By 'movement-induced' I mean that increases to speed should be as a result of some form of action undertaken by the player other than pressing down a +sprint key. This also solves the problem of feeling slow and laborious to begin with as you know that higher speeds can be reached as the result of some acquired skill, rather than an artificial limitation of the game. I want that insofar as I want to keep movement skill-orientated. It doesn't have to be as difficult to master as bunnyhop was but it would be nice if NS2 was capable of replicating the kind of emphasis on movement that NS1 did. It's part of what made the game so unique and is one of the reasons why it was so heavily played at a competitive level despite the relatively small size of the NS community. Very few other games give the player the opportunity of physically outmaneuvering your opponent. Instead you strafe side to side a bit, maybe add a jump in a random direction and generally aim better than him.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758168:date=Mar 8 2010, 02:59 PM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 8 2010, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...but that last word we've heard on it is that Skulks will have bhop, although that might be a little redundant with 1 Hive Leap<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hm, doing a search brought me to this post, so I stand corrected.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=107569&st=0&p=1730475&#entry1730475" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/ind...p;#entry1730475</a>
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    He said "you can still bunny" but I'm skeptical it will have the same accelerating properties as in Half-Life, if any acceleration at all. Honestly bunnyhopping is not that important in NS once Skulks get Leap, so if that's a hive 1 ability now it won't matter very much if they can bhop or not. If anything it's most important for traveling faster as a Gorge.

As for this suggestion, I don't understand why we would want to incentivize Skulks to charge into a fight from a long distance. It doesn't add any real depth to their movement, all it does is penalize them for setting up an ambush in advance.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    I would really like to see skill-based movement in NS2, including wallhopping which is intuitive. The fact that every unit in NS1 could make use of bhop to avoid damage, gain speed etc. made it a very useful feature. I don't care if its something else, like more easy to learn, but honestly I can't come up with anything similar in terms of depth but here are some suggestions for alternatives anyway:

- DBL Jump
    - Timed Jumps
    - Acceleration when not being stopped (OP's idea)

Yes the semi-leap that probably makes bhop a bit redundant.

The problem is not that there're some hard skill-based movements, there're hard moves in every console fighting game. You just need to have equal opponents.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    I would venture to guess that the "skulks can bhop" means speed is maintained with timed jumps (accelerated from, say, leap), but I think its pretty evident that acceleration from air-strafing/circle jumping is gone.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Here's an odd alternative:
    1. Skulks can accelerate without limit while falling.
    2. Skulks can accelerate only to their top speed while on any surface.
    3. Skulks moving above their top speed on walls and ceilings are not penalized.
    4. Skulks moving above their top speed on the floor are slowed down to their top speed.

Thus, skulks can gain speed if they "fall-jump" from ceiling to wall or from wall to wall, but if they hit the floor they lose their extra speed.

Encourages skulks to use the walls and ceilings and adds some skill elements, specifically in knowing how to maximize the length of your "fall-time" while not hitting the floor, and requires that skulks know the map, because trying it in a corridor that's too wide will probably see you on the floor, losing your speed.
  • ryanericwryanericw Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68624Members
    We definitely need skill based movements as that was one of the main things that kept the game interesting and fast paced.
    As a hardcore HL1 valve mod player, The BIGGEST drawback I hated about HL2 was the lack of skill based movement commands compared to HL1.
    It ruined the game, and made it more focused only on aim rather than movement AND aim. IMHO, that was like downgrading to console quality as the main focus on consoles is AIM and little skill based movement, compared to most of us PC users can comprehend and learn to do both aim and move specially.

Skill based movements have always carried long term success with many games such as Super Smash Brothers and HL1.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    I don't really have anything to say about this actual idea. Leap by default may be enough.

Look at TF2: the only classes viable are the ones with movement enhancing techniques (except medic, but they're so overpowered that it doesn't matter).

Also, in the competitive player teamspeak chat with Flayra, he really seemed like he wanted to make it more like leap from the barbarian in Diablo2, if anyone knows it. A short leap with a thud landing that slows your mobility. Obviously we were like "NoooOoOOoooOOo." Sometimes it seems as though the devs can get a bit too into their trade-offs.

Make of that what you will.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758523:date=Mar 10 2010, 09:44 AM:name=ryanericw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryanericw @ Mar 10 2010, 09:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skill based movements have always carried long term success with many games such as Super Smash Brothers and HL1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and Smash Brawl is no where near as competitive as Melee as a result :/