Engine test starting

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1755486:date=Feb 26 2010, 10:27 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Feb 26 2010, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it's by the order of when pre-orders were done, I imagine I should be in it pretty early...
    WE SHALL SEE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    zomg noooo im doomed!!
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    I got my key May 27, 2009 11:02:53 PDT (Got this time from Paypal Receipt)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited March 2010
    They should make the engine test be downloadable by anyone (including those that didn't pre-order) because it's technically not the alpha and getting performance/crash reports from countless hardware configurations early, from more then 10 or less people, would be very helpful for creating an alpha and beta that doesn't suck... or maybe they don't want people to get a bad impression early on... whereby people (who the devs don't trust) start posting screenshots in the forum about the engine test which may cause others to not pre-order.

Isn't this about testing the engine/engine-features and not the game. How can that be considered an alpha for NS2?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756854:date=Mar 3 2010, 07:30 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 3 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should make the engine test be downloadable by anyone (including those that didn't pre-order) because it's technically not the alpha and getting performance/crash reports from countless hardware configurations early, from more then 10 or less people, would be very helpful for creating an alpha and beta that don't suck... or maybe they don't want people to get a bad impression early on... whereby people (who the devs don't trust) start posting screenshots in the forum about the engine test which may cause others to not pre-order.

Isn't this about testing the engine/engine-features and not the game. How can that be considered an alpha for NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not an alpha but it doesn't matter, it's still a perk to get people to buy special editions. And like you said they probably don't want to risk negative press over incomplete features by releasing stuff like this to people who aren't already invested in the game.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    Geez, they said they are distributing it gradually so they don't get flooded with bug reports. How hard is it to understand?
  • Eternaly_LostEternaly_Lost Join Date: 2004-11-20 Member: 32907Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1756854:date=Mar 3 2010, 07:30 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 3 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should make the engine test be downloadable by anyone (including those that didn't pre-order) because it's technically not the alpha and getting performance/crash reports from countless hardware configurations early, from more then 10 or less people, would be very helpful for creating an alpha and beta that don't suck... or maybe they don't want people to get a bad impression early on... whereby people (who the devs don't trust) start posting screenshots in the forum about the engine test which may cause others to not pre-order.

Isn't this about testing the engine/engine-features and not the game. How can that be considered an alpha for NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Remember that soon™ that about 9500+ people will be running the engine test. That should cover a very nice large part of the hardware base, but they are rightfully worried about certain bugs that will happen. No one writes prefect code all the time the first time. So it would not surprise me too much find this as a bug #1: Does not run on AMD based machines. Intel and AMD machines act slightly different ( they don't run code the exact same way ), and then you throw in ATI and Nvidia video cards, and different amounts of ram at different speed, different versions of windows with different patch levels, and you quickly realize that they need to find the common mistakes first. A small number of testers on very different hardware, something I am certain they do not have, is needed for that. So they are reaching out to the best place to get that, their pre-orders. Likely they will start very small a few people if they can get it to make certain that they cover as many of the AMD/ATI/Intel/Nvidia/Windows bugs as they can first.
    <!--quoteo(post=1756867:date=Mar 3 2010, 08:31 PM:name=Eternaly_Lost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eternaly_Lost @ Mar 3 2010, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember that soon™ that about 9500+ people will be running the engine test. That should cover a very nice large part of the hardware base, but they are rightfully worried about certain bugs that will happen. No one writes prefect code all the time the first time. So it would not surprise me too much find this as a bug #1: Does not run on AMD based machines. Intel and AMD machines act slightly different ( they don't run code the exact same way ), and then you throw in ATI and Nvidia video cards, and different amounts of ram at different speed, different versions of windows with different patch levels, and you quickly realize that they need to find the common mistakes first. A small number of testers on very different hardware, something I am certain they do not have, is needed for that. So they are reaching out to the best place to get that, their pre-orders. Likely they will start very small a few people if they can get it to make certain that they cover as many of the AMD/ATI/Intel/Nvidia/Windows bugs as they can first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just looked at the thread discussing the map editor bugs: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=108132" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=108132</a>

If that list of bugs is any indication then this engine test is probably gonna set 1 in 10 peoples computers on fire. The devs may be right about starting out with a small group lol.
  • samejimasamejima Join Date: 2004-09-10 Member: 31569Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756889:date=Mar 3 2010, 09:34 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 3 2010, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756889"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just looked at the thread discussing the map editor bugs: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=108132" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=108132</a>

If that list of bugs is any indication then this engine test is probably gonna set 1 in 10 peoples computers on fire. The devs may be right about starting out with a small group lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Keep in mind the editor also runs the same engine; so you can assume most of the bugs have been fixed.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    If I were a betting man, given the announcement, I would bet the "in engine testing" is available to a larger group this Friday, and to the rest of the SE pre-orderers March 11th or 12th (I only add 11th in there because of the rumored Valve announcement).

The dev team is great, I just don't think the masses will get testing overnight. They had a sh*tstorm when they first released the Spark editor and probably have a mini sh*tstorm every time they update it.
    Hmm maybe the standard order people can run the beta of the Engine test, as soon as the Alpha people debug it for us lol.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1756980:date=Mar 4 2010, 05:29 AM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Mar 4 2010, 05:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I were a betting man, given the announcement, I would bet the "in engine testing" is available to a larger group this Friday, and to the rest of the SE pre-orderers March 11th or 12th (I only add 11th in there because of the rumored Valve announcement).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what I had in the back of my mind when I got the email. They don't often release stuff over the weekend, and when the weekend went by without any news... Yeah, Friday release seems likely.

<!--quoteo(post=1757022:date=Mar 4 2010, 09:03 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 4 2010, 09:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a 100% chance you find the NS2 pistol repulsive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You really are a pretty sour person, aren't you. I actually like the NS2 pistol. The screenshot with the Lerks makes it look fat and ugly due to the angle, but I think when we see it in action it's going to be awesome.
  • daidalosdaidalos Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28854Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1757031:date=Mar 4 2010, 06:39 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 4 2010, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...] The screenshot with the Lerks makes it look fat and ugly due to the angle, but I think when we see it in action it's going to be awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The pistol grip looks to be a little bit too small compared to the rest of the gun. It makes it look somehow unnatural and clumsy.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757031:date=Mar 4 2010, 06:39 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 4 2010, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You really are a pretty sour person, aren't you. I actually like the NS2 pistol. The screenshot with the Lerks makes it look fat and ugly due to the angle, but I think when we see it in action it's going to be awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We've seen it in action in the Marine trailer, I gotta say, it doesn't look awesomesauce, though it's very far from ugly.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1757040:date=Mar 4 2010, 10:08 AM:name=daidalos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (daidalos @ Mar 4 2010, 10:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The pistol grip looks to be a little bit too small compared to the rest of the gun. It makes it look somehow unnatural and clumsy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1757049:date=Mar 4 2010, 10:50 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Mar 4 2010, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've seen it in action in the Marine trailer, I gotta say, it doesn't look awesomesauce, though it's very far from ugly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, I forgot about that. I think daidalos is right about why it looks a little off. But I agree with you Cereal, it's far from ugly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1757052:date=Mar 4 2010, 12:20 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 4 2010, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, I forgot about that. I think daidalos is right about why it looks a little off. But I agree with you Cereal, it's far from ugly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, the grip is a little thin but I don't really think I will care when I'm playing the game. If it's really recoil (which I suspect it is, and a mod/dev confirmed in the twitter thread) making the pistol be at that angle, it should be lined up with the crosshair fine in game. As long as they fix the crosshair/model angle issue they were having with the rifle as well, I think it'll be ok. I wonder how much work it would be to make the pistol grip wider...
  • JappifyJappify Join Date: 2010-01-25 Member: 70312Members
    I like the look of the pistol, it looks like it packs a punch ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1757239:date=Mar 5 2010, 01:15 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Mar 5 2010, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is today the day?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt it, but I would definitely tool around in an in engine test for a few hours tonight if it were released. Here's hopin! *crosses fingers*
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I kinda think they will release it today, by the time they come back at monday they will have all sorts of info/bugs found by their system.
    I do hope they release something else considring not all of us are getting the engine test today ( if released today ).
    I would love to see a render of those alien chambers if they are done and deeper info about them.
    <!--quoteo(post=1757287:date=Mar 5 2010, 07:19 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Mar 5 2010, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kinda think they will release it today, by the time they come back at monday they will have all sorts of info/bugs found by their system.
    I do hope they release something else considring not all of us are getting the engine test today ( if released today ).
    I would love to see a render of those alien chambers if they are done and deeper info about them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Even if all they release is the engine test, people are going to be throwing up tons of screenshots and stuff I am sure.
  • PhasePhase Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23149Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1757287:date=Mar 5 2010, 08:19 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Mar 5 2010, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do hope they release something else considring not all of us are getting the engine test today ( if released today ).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really wish they would just post a date/time of stuff that will be released, maybe a week in advance so I don't have to wait around refreshing the homepage every 5 minutes hoping something new is released. I don't think a week in advanced is to much to ask. We've paid for the game, supported it, and tracked it. I think the lease we could get are some week in advance dates, and if they can't make the dates just change them before the actual day. Would save me much angst, agitation, and time....
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1757326:date=Mar 5 2010, 12:48 PM:name=Phase)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phase @ Mar 5 2010, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really wish they would just post a date/time of stuff that will be released, maybe a week in advance so I don't have to wait around refreshing the homepage every 5 minutes hoping something new is released. I don't think a week in advanced is to much to ask. We've paid for the game, supported it, and tracked it. I think the lease we could get are some week in advance dates, and if they can't make the dates just change them before the actual day. Would save me much angst, agitation, and time....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Friday updates by the team arent usually posted till around 9pm EST, heads up. So don't start F5'in until at least then. :)
  • PhasePhase Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23149Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1757328:date=Mar 5 2010, 12:07 PM:name=Cyanide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyanide @ Mar 5 2010, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Friday updates by the team arent usually posted till around 9pm EST, heads up. So don't start F5'in until at least then. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not even the Friday update I'm talking about. I just wish I had some sort of date instead of "soon" as a reference to gear my enthusiasm and moderate my time on this website. I don't even know how many times I've refreshed :'(
  • HoundDawgHoundDawg Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3362Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757372:date=Mar 5 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Phase)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phase @ Mar 5 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...I just wish I had some sort of date instead of "soon" as a reference...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good luck with that. Although they're trying to leverage the community for marketing, support, and funding, I've been pretty disappointed with the lack of a true status or any type of timeframe they can honestly stick to. As it stands, NS2 is a moving target, which UW clearly doesn't have a clue of any dates. Just another "work in progress" Indie game.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1757372:date=Mar 5 2010, 10:21 PM:name=Phase)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phase @ Mar 5 2010, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just wish I had some sort of date instead of "soon" as a reference to gear my enthusiasm<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe they'll put concrete release dates soon.

That said; no friday updates so far: a good sign?
  • BulletcatcherBulletcatcher Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33823Members
    Yeah I can't wait. Too bad I was busy and had to buy it 6 days after release... If I could have I would have bought it sooner!
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    The 2.sec switchax is like the engine test: it is small, unfolding, and makes you feel like a pioneer!
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    My mail says my key arrived at 08:29 PST >:)

I guess if the blog was posted at 08:48 it must've been posted after the pre-order opened. I think pre-orders started at 08:00 PST. Actually I remember hanging on the "door" as it was. \o/
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1757555:date=Mar 6 2010, 07:10 AM:name=Metro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metro @ Mar 6 2010, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My mail says my key arrived at 08:29 PST >:)

I guess if the blog was posted at 08:48 it must've been posted after the pre-order opened. I think pre-orders started at 08:00 PST. Actually I remember hanging on the "door" as it was. \o/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the first witness on the forum was this post:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=105038&view=findpost&p=1707915" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1707915</a>

Which is 7:24 PM GMT+1
    My Key arrived at 7:16 PM GMT+1

Last reliable "waiting" post in the twitter thread was by Crispix at ~ 6:50

Considering the forum was hammered with traffic this leaves a timeframe of
    ~ 6:50 till ~ 7:10 PM GMT+1

[edit]

Actually, atm Im not sure about timezones. I think it was GMT+2 due to daylight saving.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1757632:date=Mar 6 2010, 08:44 AM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Mar 6 2010, 08:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1757632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the first witness on the forum was this post:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=105038&view=findpost&p=1707915" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1707915</a>

Which is 7:24 PM GMT+1
    My Key arrived at 7:16 PM GMT+1

Last reliable "waiting" post in the twitter thread was by Crispix at ~ 6:50

Considering the forum was hammered with traffic this leaves a timeframe of
    ~ 6:50 till ~ 7:10 PM GMT+1

[edit]

Actually, atm Im not sure about timezones. I think it was GMT+2 due to daylight saving.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I got my key at 12:23pm gmt-5, I guess their processing got hammered because I know it was a while before I got it in the mail.
This discussion has been closed.