Engine test starting

Comments

• no0bno0b Join Date: 2005-01-21 Member: 36591Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755626:date=Feb 26 2010, 07:30 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Feb 26 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Curse you UWE! I just had my SC2 Beta today, my free time is soon to be way too filled...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

.... Orz...
    What can I say?
    It's like me that bought Heavy Rain today and FIFA 10 today.. and have to buy FF XIV as long as BFBC2 few days later..

anyway, conrat on SC2 beta =D!!
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755675:date=Feb 26 2010, 10:13 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Feb 26 2010, 10:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think he meant the <b>"We'll be granting access to players in the order that they pre-ordered."</b> bit.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow if that's the case then a large majority of the alpha pre-orderers are in the same boat as standard edition. Never mind the fact the game would of be far past release date now given what was promised when i preordered. Didn't they say it would be released in the fall 09 or something like that?

Well i don't care (standard version because green camo is cooler). Maybe it will be the NS2 firing range lol.
  • vrexvrex Join Date: 2009-10-03 Member: 68931Members
    Got my key at:
    May 27, 2009 13:58:32 PDT
    So like 5 pm est.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    well seeing as I pre-ordered before the announcement and about 10 mins after the website went up, I am expecting a nice email surprise when i get home from work today :D

muhahahahahahaha
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    wow, I didn't know I was so quick. Ordered at 11:04 May 27. Looking forward to it.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Perhaps it will be out this weekend?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I sure hope I don't have to wait a week. I'll die of impatience. No joke.
  • DadayaDadaya Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39540Members, Constellation
    I'm excited to start playing with the scripting tools. I can't do mapping, but scripting I love. I wonder what sorts of projects all the scripting kids have in store, I need to go find me KCE....

On another note, I think some people are confusing a small and increasing sample size with a set and limited sample size. They did mention starting out small at first, but the way I understood it all pre-orders would eventually test the engine (provided that test lasts long enough). Am I reading this wrong?
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Well whenever I eventually get access (30th of May :'() I'm really looking forward to playing with the scripting tools, I love mapping but I'm far better at coding and would really like to see what I might be able to do using the spark engine. :D
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I signed up with one e-mail and switched to another when buying NS2. For some reason an e-mail has went to both addresses, might be an issue there Comprox?
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I'd think (hope?) that the people who ordered in the first few days shouldn't have to worry. No need to compare pre-order hours. At least if it was before the mass mail (and I honestly can't even remember when that was, or if there was one)
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755697:date=Feb 26 2010, 11:08 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Feb 26 2010, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well seeing as I pre-ordered before the announcement and about 10 mins after the website went up, I am expecting a nice email surprise when i get home from work today :D

muhahahahahahaha<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty impressive since you couldn't actually pre-order until several hours after the NS2 site went up that day. I know because I was hitting refresh every few minutes and ordered as soon as I could. The annoying thing though is that several people who ordered AFTER I did got their pre-order key emails before me and at least one person I know got 2 (different) keys, but only paid for 1.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    January 6, 2010 2:19:14 PM

So past that you're after ME on the list .. that's right ! .. 0_o

asmodee on this forum? omg, weren't you banned? lol
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I preordered whenever Spark was released. I guess I have a while to wait. :<
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755811:date=Feb 27 2010, 03:42 PM:name=asmodee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asmodee @ Feb 27 2010, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty impressive since you couldn't actually pre-order until several hours after the NS2 site went up that day. I know because I was hitting refresh every few minutes and ordered as soon as I could. The annoying thing though is that several people who ordered AFTER I did got their pre-order key emails before me and at least one person I know got 2 (different) keys, but only paid for 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why don't you two just get the e-peen battle over with and print screen your paypal statements showing payment and date.
  • Mr H-KMr H-K Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70199Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I ordered the Special Edition (ordering the ordinary one just didn't feel right!) only a few months ago. But even if I don't get to test it (which hopefully I will) I'm made up with what this means. It means they're getting very close now, so our wait won't be for much longer peeps :D I'm excited!!!
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1755811:date=Feb 27 2010, 11:42 PM:name=asmodee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asmodee @ Feb 27 2010, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty impressive since you couldn't actually pre-order until several hours after the NS2 site went up that day. I know because I was hitting refresh every few minutes and ordered as soon as I could. The annoying thing though is that several people who ordered AFTER I did got their pre-order key emails before me and at least one person I know got 2 (different) keys, but only paid for 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

actually, there was a thread that was started right after the pre-order was available (that's what i meant by "when the site went up", poor description on my part). I ordered it straight away.

Email took a few hours to arrive though >: |

edit.

exhibit A:

Take note of the times:

First known occurance of site being up: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=105038&view=findpost&p=1707915" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1707915</a>
    me seeing it: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=105038&view=findpost&p=1707931" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1707931</a>
    me buying it: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=105038&view=findpost&p=1707940" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1707940</a>

As the french would say: <i>Mien epeene' est largere' *</i>

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->*may or may not be french<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • Angry BakerAngry Baker Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69227Members
    So, hey, Unknown Worlds, how does it feel to lie about the number of pre-orders you've gotten?

Just kidding: good job!
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1755529:date=Feb 26 2010, 10:33 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Feb 26 2010, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess the engine test is going to be a really small group, no email here and I got my key at 12:23 on release day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah im wondering because the email sounds like "it is released", but no link, no mail nothing.
    I can´t wait to test the engine and start lua modding.
    But why the H. you all post your buying date?
    Do you realy think UWE will only give people who buy the game on first date, the Test engine?
    I guess its like the spark editor...everybody who buy the game, can test it.
    Have they made the keys like "bla bla X" is special edition and "bla bla y" is default version.
    Can everybody test the spark editor?
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I pre-ordered June 10th - so I think I will be early on the list >_>
  • WunschkindWunschkind Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70658Members
    Well, I guess 2009-11-26 was a little late. :/
    Anyway, I hear a distant voice whispering "alpha is close" all the time. :D
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755836:date=Feb 27 2010, 12:09 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Feb 27 2010, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As the french would say: <i>Mien epeene' est largere' *</i>
    <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->*may or may not be french<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

0_o

It's not. ;)
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755843:date=Feb 27 2010, 11:41 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 27 2010, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah im wondering because the email sounds like "it is released", but no link, no mail nothing.
    I can´t wait to test the engine and start lua modding.
    But why the H. you all post your buying date?
    Do you realy think UWE will only give people who buy the game on first date, the Test engine?
    I guess its like the spark editor...everybody who buy the game, can test it.
    Have they made the keys like "bla bla X" is special edition and "bla bla y" is default version.
    Can everybody test the spark editor?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They are posting their purchase dates because the e-mail states that they will be releasing the Engine Test to people in the order that they pre-ordered, and not all at once. They will start with a small test group and eventually start expanding the group to include more pre-orderers so they don't get spammmed by <b>over 9000(!) </b> bug reports.
    I purchased mine on the 28th... I wonder how many people purchased them on the first day. Hope I'll be getting a link soon...
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755871:date=Feb 27 2010, 08:38 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Feb 27 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755871"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are posting their purchase dates because the e-mail states that they will be releasing the Engine Test to people in the order that they pre-ordered, and not all at once. They will start with a small test group and eventually start expanding the group to include more pre-orderers so they don't get spammmed by <b>over 9000(!) </b> bug reports.
    I purchased mine on the 28th... I wonder how many people purchased them on the first day. Hope I'll be getting a link soon...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same here, i mean, not everybody can be online everyday.
    but serious i can´t belive it, did they realy guess 10.000 people will report the bugs?
    Did 30.000 people or how many people buy pre-order the game, spam with the Bug report of the spark editor? NO!
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755872:date=Feb 27 2010, 10:46 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 27 2010, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did 30.000 people or how many people buy pre-order the game, spam with the Bug report of the spark editor?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They might have automated data collection.

But yeah, we'll see it when we see it. Personally I can't imagine the delay from first to last being too big. At least I'd hope so since I seem to be at the end of the line.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    MY guess is that NO ONE HAS ACCESS TO THE ENGINE TEST START.

So, cool down and wait.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    I can test your Engine on both AMDs and Intel's including old machines.
    <!--quoteo(post=1755858:date=Feb 28 2010, 02:38 AM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Feb 28 2010, 02:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->0_o

It's not. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure it is!

it means: "my epeen is biggest"
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1755872:date=Feb 27 2010, 02:46 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 27 2010, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but serious i can´t belive it, did they realy guess 10.000 people will report the bugs?
    Did 30.000 people or how many people buy pre-order the game, spam with the Bug report of the spark editor? NO!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First a disclaimer, my role in NS2 is "fan", I have no inside information on any aspect of the game at all.

However based on my experience with NS1, I'll make the following observations:

1) The difference in volume of player reaction between Spark and an Engine test will be massive. A ton of pre-ordering players are like me: I downloaded Spark when it was released, played around with it for an hour, realized I still couldn't map to save my life (even with a nice tool that seems well polished) and haven't really used the program since. As such the number of people probably really using Spark is a fairly small subset of the overall pre-order base. However I'd have to guess that everyone who pre-ordered will be very interested to see what the engine is like.

2) Spark has an inherently smaller set of functionality than that full-blown engine, therefor it has fewer places for bugs and other issues.

3) Its an engine test, not the game. While its cool to be a part of something unreleased, you probably won't be missing a ton even if you aren't in the first, third, or thirtieth batch of players in. It sounds like this will be really similar to the NSTR (Natural Selection Technical Release). The NS2 game won't be available with the engine, and while the inclusion of script tools opens up some interesting possibilities, there's a good chance for quite a while it'll be people in cube-like maps making airplane sounds as they run around (see: The Flaytona).

4) To the best of my knowledge there is not a separate QA group, so all bug reports are going to be funneled through the Devs. If not carefully managed they could very easily be crushed under bug reports. NS1 (from 2.0 onward) had at least one Dev dedicated exclusively to Bugs/QA. That person had 4 to 6 people working directly under them to deal with Bug Reports from players, and had the entire Playtesting group (and frequently a whole ton of Constellation members) to help them duplicate issues and test fixes.

5) A ton of the "bug reports" they get will really be feature request, suggestions, and other things that won't be bugs at all. This is great cause it means enthusiasm is growing and people can't wait to see the game. But again to point 4 you have to be careful that you don't let this crush the capacity of your team.
This discussion has been closed.