Don't make a quick commercial 'laggy' game like AVP!

mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I dislike games that haven't had enough effort into perfecting the</div>Alright so first of all, a favourite game of mine is the Half-Life series, not just because of the super gameplay, but because of how tweaked and polished the game is, i mean HL2 runs awsome and looks awsome on low end computers, and its definately something to admire.

I was watching my brother play the new AVP and i was horrified when watching him come into random FPS drops, like MASSIVE fps drops! Clearly the game hasn't been made to perfection... I mean you can't even duck in that game as a marine ;| (and yes he has a good computer).

Nonetheless, i know you guys are working hard at making a great game, and i know it will be awsome, but im just going to have abit of input and say don't rush, polish it! I want to play a super dooper sexually polished game!

Love Matt. xoxoxoxox =B

Comments

• VengZVengZ Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69556Members
    AvP is clearly a port. No matter what the dev team says. Menus, hud and controls are taken directly from the console. If they didnt even change those things chances are they didnt do much about the rest either.
    NS2 is only for PC. Optimized for PC. Gonna be good on PC ;)
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    Unknown Worlds don't rush into things. Fear not! NS2 might not be available until after the first expansion for AvP hits, but when it gets here, it'll be more than worth the wait.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755045:date=Feb 25 2010, 10:18 AM:name=VengZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VengZ @ Feb 25 2010, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AvP is clearly a port. No matter what the dev team says. Menus, hud and controls are taken directly from the console. If they didnt even change those things chances are they didnt do much about the rest either.
    NS2 is only for PC. Optimized for PC. Gonna be good on PC ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I lol'd.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    Sadly all the new games seem to be going down this route, and don't think it's great on consoles either. Halo 3 is so popular on the 360 simply because it's a fun multiplayer with an excellent matchmaking system, which means you get a fairly consistent lag free game. AVP however, although I really enjoy the game, especially online, the matchmaking sucks on PC and consoles.

I downloaded the AVP demo for my ps3 because it was in the living room and I honestly waited an hour searching for a game until I gave up on it. Fortunately for the 360 and PC it doesn't take <i>too</i> long to find a game now it's released, but the most annoying thing is the host quiting and you being booted back to the main menu. Half of finding a match is putting in the search settings all over again. And again.
  • VengZVengZ Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69556Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755054:date=Feb 25 2010, 01:42 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 25 2010, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I lol'd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And why is that?
  • KalibrageKalibrage Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69564Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755032:date=Feb 25 2010, 06:56 AM:name=mattoX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mattoX @ Feb 25 2010, 06:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was watching my brother play the new AVP and i was horrified when watching him come into random FPS drops, like MASSIVE fps drops! Clearly the game hasn't been made to perfection... I mean you can't even duck in that game as a marine ;| (and yes he has a good computer).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Put DX9 and ambient occlusion OFF maybe vsync OFF too and it will run normal, for me it works. And still have good graphics
    And you cant duck in Shattered Horizon too, wich is a good game too. ;)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1755085:date=Feb 25 2010, 04:53 PM:name=Kalibrage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalibrage @ Feb 25 2010, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And you cant duck in Shattered Horizon too, wich is a good game too. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did not played it but it looks like you're floating the whole time so duck is out of place, while in avp you sometimes had to cover and without duck this was really crappy.
  • KalibrageKalibrage Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69564Members
    Not always, you could use some duck too in SH. But i think its not a big deal at all for both games. :)
    Duck is very important in real shooter games, like CS or Battlefield where you have a lots of gunfights on the ground. AVP is more like a survivor game for me.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755062:date=Feb 25 2010, 11:40 PM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 25 2010, 11:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sadly all the new games seem to be going down this route<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are still some company's doing proper ports, ie Dice with Battlefield Bad Company 2
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I don't understand why people make threads that can be summarized as "Developers, please do not make a bad game" as if it was their intention all along to produce a mediocre title and the request to do better will somehow make them go "he's right! We should make a decent game instead of the bad game we planned".
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, there was some talk about an x-box ns2 version sometime later after release!?
    So I guess it's not that bad to remind them what can happen when you have other game platforms in your mind.
    If they design the game with a possible x-box port in mind, you can say whatever you want, it's quite logical that their work on the pc-version is (maybe badly) influenced in some way in order to make that port easier later on.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    NS2 will always be a PC first, port later game. This has been said. :)
  • mbs357mbs357 Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17117Members
    edited February 2010
    Considering the fact that UW is a PC game developer and that NS2 isn't a multiplatform game, it'll probably be great.
    BUT...
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 will always be a PC first, port later game. This has been said. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This has been said before; examples are Borderlands and AVP. Both developers said they were building it from the ground up to be a PC game and were then porting it to the consoles. That was very obviously a lie and is apparent from playing both the games.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they design the game with a possible x-box port in mind, you can say whatever you want, it's quite logical that their work on the pc-version is (maybe badly) influenced in some way in order to make that port easier later on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is pretty much a given. Take Oblivion for example. They took many things out that game that were in Morrowind with the excuse of "we think it'll help gameplay!" My biggest grievance with it is the interface. Morrowind's was perfect, but not suited to controllers. So in Oblivion they gave us a Tonka Toy huge looking interface with clunky embedded menus. In Morrowind, you wanted to see your map? Right click. In Oblivion? Tab, click navigation, click world map. In Oblivion, you wanted to see what was in your inventory? Right click. In Oblivion? Tab, character stuff, inventory. Why do you think we can only have 8 hot keys when there are almost always up to 10 (1-9, and 0) on PC games?
    In AVP and Borderlands, why do you think we can only carry four weapons?

Unfortunately, there aren't many developers making true PC games these days. Valve is slowly falling to the darkside with their latest L4D games...to me, the second especially, screams "LOL CONSOLE".

Killing Floor may not be very pretty, but it's a FUN game and it's nothing but PC.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755137:date=Feb 25 2010, 08:46 PM:name=mbs357)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mbs357 @ Feb 25 2010, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In AVP and Borderlands, why do you think we can only carry four weapons?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just pointing out that in STALKER, a pure pc game, you can only carry 4 weapons, in Killing Floor you can only carry as many as your weight allows, which isn't many. Yet in MGS4 or Resident Evil 4 (Wasn't on pc for a very long time) you can carry quite a few weapons. Then of course with say... Bioshock or Dead Space, released on all platforms, you also had a wide range of weaponry to choose from. A well thought out controller scheme can accomodate any pc control, so I think the limit on weaponry for the marines was purely for gameplay reasons.
  • mbs357mbs357 Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17117Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755241:date=Feb 25 2010, 07:40 PM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 25 2010, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just pointing out that in STALKER, a pure pc game, you can only carry 4 weapons, in Killing Floor you can only carry as many as your weight allows, which isn't many. Yet in MGS4 or Resident Evil 4 (Wasn't on pc for a very long time) you can carry quite a few weapons. Then of course with say... Bioshock or Dead Space, released on all platforms, you also had a wide range of weaponry to choose from. A well thought out controller scheme can accomodate any pc control, so I think the limit on weaponry for the marines was purely for gameplay reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Never did I say that absolutely only four weapons equal console game.
    And yes, STALKER is a pure PC game and it's also a very fun (and modable) game.
    Never played the Metal Gear games.
    The Resident Evil series is a console series that belongs on the console...at least that's what I thought until RE5 came to the PC. SO much better with keyboard and mouse.
    But you can still only assign 4 weapons to the hotkeys in RE5. Heck the backpack is set up like a DPad.
    RE4 is a bit clunkier with it's navigate through the briefcase system, but it works. Really <3 RE4.
  • cerberus414cerberus414 Join Date: 2005-05-07 Member: 51098Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The internet videos don't do justice to the quality of this game. I watched the video off of every major internet video outlet (including YouTube at 1080p) and they all stutter a little bit. I think it's a problem with flash rendering high quality videos or something. I downloaded the video of off bigdownloads, a whopping 400 MB file for a 50 second video. Well, at least the game is shown off in its full glory in 1920x1080 resolution (probably the biggest video res I've downloaded to date) and the framerate is silky smooth, even for that kind of in-game resolution. Download it and re-watch it.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    You have to play with the graphics to get it working well. Xbox graphics are pretty ######.. for instance turning off motion blur goes a long way toward making the game playable. I was getting ~80fps with my 9800GTX+ and now I have a Radeon 5770 and its even higher.

The only issue I really have with the game is no server browser and no spectator mode. I would love to cast the game but I can't spec.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1755288:date=Feb 26 2010, 01:23 PM:name=celewign)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (celewign @ Feb 26 2010, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You have to play with the graphics to get it working well. Xbox graphics are pretty ######.. for instance turning off motion blur goes a long way toward making the game playable. I was getting ~80fps with my 9800GTX+ and now I have a Radeon 5770 and its even higher.

The only issue I really have with the game is no server browser and no spectator mode. I would love to cast the game but I can't spec.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah...and i run a HD5870 and DX11 isnt even working.. damn game always crashes to desktop after the intro video.
    dx9 mode goes up to 60 fps on max settings..
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    It is in nobody's interest to release a game that does not deliver. I am pretty sure the future of Unknown Worlds Entertainment relies quite heavily on NS2 being a commercial success.

As such, I am sure the final product will meet a lot of people's expectations.
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    I absolutely did not mean any flame towards the NS2 dev team at all, my point was regarding the fact that if the game isnt done when it may be deadlined for, then take the time necessary to polish it.

I am quite aware of how extremely talented the dev team is, very aware. And i know the game will be great nonetheless, i just hope there is no sense of rushing anything because of how soon it should be released.

Matt.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1755799:date=Feb 27 2010, 02:30 PM:name=mattoX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mattoX @ Feb 27 2010, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1755799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I absolutely did not mean any flame towards the NS2 dev team at all, my point was regarding the fact that if the game isnt done when it may be deadlined for, then take the time necessary to polish it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 had a Fall '09 release date. I don't think you needed to say anything like this.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think you have anything to worry about, a team that can do what NS did on the Half-Life engine should have an even easier time of it on their own engine. Running on somebody else's engine saves you a lot of work but when you're doing really crazy stuff like NS did it's as much a handicap as anything.
  • HozartisHozartis Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68668Members
    Steal everything that AVP did right and drop everything they did wrong.
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    It didnt do much right...

'Q' was the default button for sprint

nuff said.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756167:date=Mar 1 2010, 09:57 AM:name=BCSeph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCSeph @ Mar 1 2010, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It didnt do much right...

nuff said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah console ports. Developers aren't even trying to disguise them anymore.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1756167:date=Feb 28 2010, 11:57 PM:name=BCSeph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCSeph @ Feb 28 2010, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1756167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It didnt do much right...

nuff said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh dear lord...

God forbid you had to sprint to the left D:
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i bought avp 2010 and it is just horrible. you can tell it isnt finished. another few months and it could have been a game that really stands out, but its like we bought the beta version...

also nobody seems to play it online - which is strange as it was sold out in 2 stores i went to.