Vancouver 2010

NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
Heyo,

Anybody paying a lot of attention to the Olympics? As a proud Vancouverite here I am awash in the joy of the Olympic spirit and the shame of rainy weather.

If you've got something to say about the Olympics do it here!

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    There are Olympics afoot? I thought the next ones were planned for London, 2012.
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    These are the winter one's, tbh not looking forward to London 1012 YAY billions worth of debt..
    I watched a little of the Olympics but I'm not that fussed tbh.
    Oh right, there are winter olympics too. What do you do at those again? Skiing and... curling? And more skiing? Oh, oh, and shooting AND skiing!
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    Snow ball fight, and who can make the most amusing snowman.. there is the snow angels event but no one watches that..
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753311:date=Feb 15 2010, 04:02 PM:name=Sub_zer0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sub_zer0 @ Feb 15 2010, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Snow ball fight, and who can make the most amusing snowman.. there is the snow angels event but no one watches that..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No snow angels!? You must be one of those people that just watches the Winter Olympics for the mittens.
    Snow angels were deemed to break the seperation of church and olympics.
  • TekdudeTekdude Join Date: 2003-04-13 Member: 15455Members, Constellation, Forum staff
    edited February 2010
    I watch the Winter Olympics religiously, as many events as I can. I know our broadcasts in the States are on tape delay so they can show them in the evening and at prime time, but I'm looking forward to watching Men's Downhill and Board Cross tonight, even though I already know the results for Downhill. I watched the moguls events the past few days, and Pairs Controversy Skatin- I mean Figure Skating last night. Some of those girls are hot. That's all I have to say.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753310:date=Feb 15 2010, 10:01 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 15 2010, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh right, there are winter olympics too. What do you do at those again? Skiing and... curling? And more skiing? Oh, oh, and shooting AND skiing!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be like saying summer olympics are about running and tossing things far away.
    Here are the things you do at winter olympics:

Alpine ski (downhill, three types of slalom, and combined)

Nordic (Cross Country) skiing (in different formats much like the different summer olympic races)

Freestyle skiing (moguls, aerial jumps, ski cross)

Ski jumping

Biathlon (yes, that's shooting and skiing. And again comes in different formats)

Iced track sports (bobsleigh, luge, skeleton)

Skating (short track, speed, figure)

Snowboarding (pipe, slalom, boarder cross)

Hockey

I guess you need to have done some winter sports to understand the difference between each of these disciplines, but they are all very different.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yay we got a gold!
    <!--quoteo(post=1753320:date=Feb 15 2010, 11:18 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Feb 15 2010, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753320"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess you need to have done some winter sports to understand the difference between each of these disciplines, but they are all very different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, no I think I'll understand the difference between ski jumping and hockey if you give me a few minutes to carefully analyze both of them.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Vancouver had to import snow because it didn't have enough, and some events had to be cancelled/postponed because the snow was melting.

That seems like a real problem when the entire olympics is based around doing stuff on snow.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753341:date=Feb 16 2010, 12:41 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 16 2010, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, no I think I'll understand the difference between ski jumping and hockey if you give me a few minutes to carefully analyze both of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Witty, but then again you're the one who assumed that the winter olympics were all about "skiing". And not everybody sees the difference between alpine skiing and cross-country skiing (which are worlds apart, except for the fact you have stuff attached to your feet), so I guess that the difference between the slalom and the giant isn't obvious?
    I pointed out curling and shooting too! I demand credit for those as well. :(
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753346:date=Feb 15 2010, 07:07 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 15 2010, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I pointed out curling and shooting too! I demand credit for those as well. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wait, one of the events is shooting and curling. I might watch that.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753343:date=Feb 15 2010, 11:50 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Feb 15 2010, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Witty, but then again you're the one who assumed that the winter olympics were all about "skiing". And not everybody sees the difference between alpine skiing and cross-country skiing (which are worlds apart, except for the fact you have stuff attached to your feet), so I guess that the difference between the slalom and the giant isn't obvious?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ice skating, and therefore hockey, is basically the same as skiing. You just use smaller, sharper skis and the surface you're skiing on is significantly more compacted. It's the same overall idea.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753350:date=Feb 16 2010, 01:17 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Feb 16 2010, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait, one of the events is shooting and curling. I might watch that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's a relatively new event called "urban curling." While the opposing team uses those brooms, you're allowed to harrass the broomsmen with softguns. It's a gamble though, because they wear heavy padding for that reason, and you're not allowed to shoot unless you enter the rink, at which point they're allowed to chase you down and beat you with the brooms.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Everyone should heed stickman's carefully measured prose, since I'm pretty sure he could whoop any of our arses in ANY event that involves moving downhill under the force of gravity.

--Scythe--
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I'm stoked for men's aerials

snowboard 1/2 pipe might be okay, it's fricken 22 foot walls this year
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    It's really all about the ice hockey for me, sod the rest.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753320:date=Feb 15 2010, 10:18 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Feb 15 2010, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753320"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would be like saying summer olympics are about running and tossing things far away.
    Here are the things you do at winter olympics:

Alpine ski (downhill, three types of slalom, and combined)

Nordic (Cross Country) skiing (in different formats much like the different summer olympic races)

Freestyle skiing (moguls, aerial jumps, ski cross)

Ski jumping

Biathlon (yes, that's shooting and skiing. And again comes in different formats)

Iced track sports (bobsleigh, luge, skeleton)

Skating (short track, speed, figure)

Snowboarding (pipe, slalom, boarder cross)

Hockey

I guess you need to have done some winter sports to understand the difference between each of these disciplines, but they are all very different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Summer basically <i>is</i> just about throwing things though. Throwing things and alternative transport (cycling, running, jumping, swimming, and pole vaulting)

Winter is just how best to fall down a hill (on a board, on two boards, in a sledge, on two boards doing strange things, on two boards while flying through the air, on two boards while trying to kill people) as well as 'what funny things can I do with this block of ice' (slide things across it, dance on it, stage a fight on it)

I'm not sure which I prefer but I don't like either much, I used to like it a lot less because it took up all the television space but as I no longer watch television it's not a problem.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited February 2010
    Sports are stupid, they're just about humans moving.

Seriously, do you people realize how incredibly stupid you all sound?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    As some one relatively good at shutting himself off from news/pop culture:

Is there less of an interest this time around? Normally I would expect something huge like this to manage to seep through my walls and I would find out about it.
    Maybe everyone just stopped caring about the Olympics after Michael Phelps won them all completely for all time forever.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753618:date=Feb 17 2010, 08:04 AM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Feb 17 2010, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As some one relatively good at shutting himself off from news/pop culture:

Is there less of an interest this time around? Normally I would expect something huge like this to manage to seep through my walls and I would find out about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, winter Olympics aren't as big as the summer ones; there are around 80 countries participating right now and around 200 in summer, so maybe that's why it didn't get through your concrete walls.
    You had to at least have heard about how Canada set the new low point for opening ceremonies, right?
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753657:date=Feb 17 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Feb 17 2010, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You had to at least have heard about how Canada set the new low point for opening ceremonies, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:(
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yay we got another gold!
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1753657:date=Feb 17 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Feb 17 2010, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You had to at least have heard about how Canada set the new low point for opening ceremonies, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Friggin' Canada. Dragging down all of North America with your lack of hydraulic craftsmanship.

I think a combination of curling and biathalon could have some merit though. The other team tries to shoot the dudes with the brooms, for example. Or the stone is replaced with an 18th century cannon ball that has a lit fuze. Food for thought.
    <!--quoteo(post=1753780:date=Feb 18 2010, 03:01 AM:name=MonsieurEvil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MonsieurEvil @ Feb 18 2010, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Friggin' Canada. Dragging down all of North America with your lack of hydraulic craftsmanship.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I figured the hemp rope and wooden pulley system broke.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753615:date=Feb 17 2010, 12:40 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Feb 17 2010, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sports are stupid, they're just about humans moving.

Seriously, do you people realize how incredibly stupid you all sound?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sports <i>are</i> stupid because they <i>are</i> just about humans moving. I can understand playing them but not watching other people play them. if you play them yourself you're doing the movement and it can be fun to move because sitting still often gets dull. However if you're sitting still watching other people do things which are fun to do but dull to watch I really don't see the point.