Google Buzz

RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Wave's illegitimate child?</div>In case you've not heard: <a href="http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/introducing-google-buzz.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FMKuf+%28Official+Google+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher" target="_blank">http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/int...gle+Feedfetcher</a>

Now, it's apparently a 'meta-twitter' where you can post snippets of interesting stuff you find or pictures/vids of things you've done, etc. And your friends can totally comment on it. Oh, and it also tries to show you other people's stuff, too. Also it's integrated into Gmail and you should be seeing it now if you're on there. It's apparently pretty sweet.

And it reminds me of the ###### child of Google Wave and Facebook. Anyone see a difference?

Comments

• PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Do people using these things really have a life? .. I thought they were bots.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Everyone is just trying to make their sites more like twitter/facebook. I think its ###### stupid, if I want to tell my friends something I'll call or e-mail them, if its not e-mail worthy then its probably a waste of time.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    Actually, what it reminded me of was another Google product, specifically <a href="http://www.google.com/reader/" target="_blank">Google Reader</a>.

upon further poking (like actually opening it) I freely admit that it's twitter.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1752293:date=Feb 10 2010, 01:02 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Feb 10 2010, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone is just trying to make their sites more like twitter/facebook. I think its ###### stupid, if I want to tell my friends something I'll call or e-mail them, if its not e-mail worthy then its probably a waste of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm glad I'm not the only one in this day and age that doesn't get all this social networking. One of the creepiest things to me is Google Latitude. Like less than 10 years ago, everyone was up in arms about privacy, and now people are not only publicly broadcasting everything about themselves on facebook and the like, they actually let anyone on the entire internet see exactly where they are at all times O_o
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That's the human in all it's glory, someone says OMG OUR PRIVACY!!! Everyone is on that boat yelling the same thing.

Now someone is yelling TWEETWAVEFACEBOOK THISTHAT... And everyone is now on that boat yelling the same thing...

People are stupid, the sooner we all realize this, the better off we all are!
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I turned it on just to see it, now I want know how to turn the damn thing off :/
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Twitter is a testament to our social nature and an epitaph to our pride.

It should be no surprise Google is trying to monopolize yet another important aspect of Internet. It's what they do.

<!--quoteo(post=1752358:date=Feb 11 2010, 03:27 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 11 2010, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's the human in all it's glory, someone says OMG OUR PRIVACY!!! Everyone is on that boat yelling the same thing.

Now someone is yelling TWEETWAVEFACEBOOK THISTHAT... And everyone is now on that boat yelling the same thing...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Technically that's not a paradox: there are billions of people on this planet, so it's no surprise you'll get a lot on either side. And, of course, people may want both: share info with their friends, and keep it private against sleazy governments, corporations and random trolls/scammers.

<!--coloro:#696969--><span style="color:#696969"><!--/coloro-->Yeah, that's gonna work out very well.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1752392:date=Feb 11 2010, 01:24 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Feb 11 2010, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I turned it on just to see it, now I want know how to turn the damn thing off :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://lifehacker.com/5468067/hideremove-google-buzz-updates-from-your-gmail-inbox" target="_blank">http://lifehacker.com/5468067/hideremove-g...our-gmail-inbox</a>

One of my buddies used Buzz to tell everyone how to filter it out. Classic.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I'll stick with twitter and facebook. Nothing new to offer, google is too late on this one again.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    Google is definitely late to the party so I don't know if it's going to actually steal any market share from Facebook, but I actually like the look and feel of it much better. I never signed up for facebook, it feels like such a clusterf***. Buzz feels nice and clean, and seems to pull together what little I actually might want to share with people. Of course if no one uses it, it's pretty much a moot point.
    Facebook is a far cry better than MySpace, though.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Now that I look over it more, mainly because one of my friends is actually using it, I have decided that it really is just Google Reader brought into GMail. Anything you do in Reader is propagated into buzz. People who follow you in one apparently follow you in the other. Etc etc etc.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    People talk like the social networking game is over. A minute percentage of people on the planet use social networking, so there is a huge amount to play for still.

Buzz has a lot of potential, though I personally won't be using it. The ability to aggregate buzz, twitter, google reader and gmail in a single view is going to appeal to a lot of people.
    Also, google can finally use the network of invites from the original gmail beta to kickstart the buzz inter-relationships.

To the person who said that google reader is just like twitter, I think you need to look again. Google reader is an RSS reader. It solves some of the same problems that twitter does, but it can be used to monitor actual content on actual websites and doesn't need any centralisation to aggregate.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Google Wave was appealing.

Instant messaging, e-mail and live documentation collaboration in one? It didn't really take off that big did it. What makes you think Buzz will have such an impact where things like Wave haven't taken as much as Google thought so?
    edited February 2010
    [edit] How to make who you're following and who's following you private: <a href="http://www.businessinsider.com/warning-google-buzz-has-a-huge-privacy-flaw-2010-2" target="_blank">http://www.businessinsider.com/warning-goo...acy-flaw-2010-2</a>

<!--quoteo(post=1752439:date=Feb 11 2010, 10:31 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 11 2010, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Google Wave was appealing.

Instant messaging, e-mail and live documentation collaboration in one? It didn't really take off that big did it. What makes you think Buzz will have such an impact where things like Wave haven't taken as much as Google thought so?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Buzz isn't too far from Wave. It could replace Twitter, but it does more than that. First of all, Twitter's protocol is pretty limiting; Buzz has unbounded message sizes, but Twitter forces people to use unsafe URL maskers for one thing. Second, each "tweet" on Buzz starts a thread for comments.

What Buzz doesn't have that Wave does is the infinite branching and history recording, but the lack of these features actually makes Buzz easier to use, with more screen real estate used for actually viewing content. Buzz also takes advantage of the existing gmail user base. I'm pretty surprised Wave isn't already integrated with gmail, but this may be a good way for it to get in.

What separates Buzz from Facebook or MySpace is that it's less profile oriented and more about conversations. There are profiles, but they're pretty general. You're not talking about what movies you like and all that junk. So, I think it's the love child of "traditional" social networking sites, Wave, and Twitter.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    It's Facebook statuses + Twitter feed w/ comments and no "HELP ME IN FARMVILLE" nor "I just friended <insert person you don't know here>" nor "Lookie I'm in relationship"

So.... yeah, glorified Twitter.
    <!--quoteo(post=1752460:date=Feb 11 2010, 02:35 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Feb 11 2010, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's Facebook statuses + Twitter feed w/ comments and no "HELP ME IN FARMVILLE" nor "I just friended <insert person you don't know here>" nor "Lookie I'm in relationship"

So.... yeah, glorified Twitter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, your computer is a glorified calculator. Not that I'm trying to defend this Buzz or anything. I'm just saying that most often, new products are incremental improvements of previous ones.
    <!--quoteo(post=1752445:date=Feb 11 2010, 03:34 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Feb 11 2010, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buzz isn't too far from Wave. It could replace Twitter, but it does more than that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was basically the point of Wave over e-mail/instant messaging though. So really, why will anyone switch to Buzz instead of Twitter?
    <!--quoteo(post=1752471:date=Feb 11 2010, 10:09 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 11 2010, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So really, why will anyone switch to Buzz instead of Twitter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably the same reason anyone switches to GMail. Google know how to get their ###### together.

Well, usually.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Can't Google just buy out FaceTwitter and put their label on it instead though...
    <!--quoteo(post=1752491:date=Feb 11 2010, 11:26 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 11 2010, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't Google just buy out FaceTwitter and put their label on it instead though...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think they can buy all of the US by now if they wanted. Suppose they're seeing what they can do on their own, Google Video existed long before they cashed out for YouTube (and is indeed still there).
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1752468:date=Feb 11 2010, 12:55 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Feb 11 2010, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, your computer is a glorified calculator. Not that I'm trying to defend this Buzz or anything. I'm just saying that most often, new products are incremental improvements of previous ones.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, my main thing is I'm not sure what it adds to the picture. I mean, Facebook status updates are pretty close, and since I have so many people it just streams them on by. This is more like Google Reader's RSS Feed, but of statuses and links.

So... I'd like it more if there was an obvious incremental advantage, but I'm not seeing it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1752471:date=Feb 11 2010, 02:09 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 11 2010, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That was basically the point of Wave over e-mail/instant messaging though. So really, why will anyone switch to Buzz instead of Twitter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Plus Gmail already has built in instant messaging.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    While I've never felt compelled to try twitter I almost gave Buzz a shot just because it was there (I use gmail and it's attached to that).
    Of course then it tells me I have to have my real name showing and I killed it there and then.

I hate how a lot of things seem to be trying to drop the anonymous aspect of the internet :/
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    You mean your name isn't really Geminosity? What the hell am I supposed to do with all this stationary I bought you?
    <!--quoteo(post=1752962:date=Feb 13 2010, 12:55 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Feb 13 2010, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I've never felt compelled to try twitter I almost gave Buzz a shot just because it was there (I use gmail and it's attached to that).
    Of course then it tells me I have to have my real name showing and I killed it there and then.

I hate how a lot of things seem to be trying to drop the anonymous aspect of the internet :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    didn't ask me for my name
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753047:date=Feb 14 2010, 04:38 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Feb 14 2010, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->didn't ask me for my name<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It already knows! :O

<!--quoteo(post=1752421:date=Feb 11 2010, 11:41 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Feb 11 2010, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Google is definitely late to the party so I don't know if it's going to actually steal any market share from Facebook, but I actually like the look and feel of it much better. I never signed up for facebook, it feels like such a clusterf***. Buzz feels nice and clean, and seems to pull together what little I actually might want to share with people. Of course if no one uses it, it's pretty much a moot point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->They might be able to steal it back when it's a free part of their operating system (which may also be free, I'm guessing).

I won't be bothering with Buzz. I thought it was Wave, rebranded, but its offering me exactly the sort of services I don't want (hey everybody, this is my life, come pore over it in minute detail, you don't even have to know me!). I've locked down everything on Facebook and largely stopped using it for the same reason.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    I'm sure I can make use of it Monse :3
    ~hug~

Well ok, it puts my name in but I can change it. Thing is it wants a 'real' name... y'know; first and last. I can't just stick in 'Geminosity' :o

As for blogs and stuff, I guess the appeal isn't immediately obvious to me either Crispy though I do think a blog might be a nice 'output' for me to vent stuff on and you know how much I like to vent XD
    Thing is though, my idea is more to focus on topics of discussion. I don't think I could ever bother telling everyone what's going on in my life constantly or doing the whole 'dear diary' thing (I tried that when I was little with a diary. Turns out I was more interested in living my life than writing about it :p ).
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753093:date=Feb 14 2010, 05:13 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Feb 14 2010, 05:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well ok, it puts my name in but I can change it. Thing is it wants a 'real' name... y'know; first and last. I can't just stick in 'Geminosity' :o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can put anything you want as a last name and/or just opt to hide it. For example I have my last name as * and then hid it.