Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - The Harvester and Spark Q&A

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - The Harvester and Spark Q&A here

Comments

• AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    While the new resource tower is actually a lot better looking than I thought from the pre-alpha video, I still much prefer the old design. Something about this doesn't feel right. Maybe I'll like it more when it's in game surrounded by aliens and infestation and whatnot.
  • PopenatorPopenator Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68617Members
    Oooh, possibilities for the skybox cinematic just made me get really excited..
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    No water? I guess that means no sludge or lava either. That's too bad, as it really added to the atmosphere in NS1.
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    This new tower is an improvement in my opinion. It seems much more lively and has more of a feel that it has grappled the node instead of just sit on it.

It'd be cool (And quite creepy) if it moved upon contact with a marine, like the hive does in Ns.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1752798:date=Feb 12 2010, 07:27 PM:name=Popenator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Popenator @ Feb 12 2010, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oooh, possibilities for the skybox cinematic just made me get really excited..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too many possibilities!

<!--quoteo(post=1752800:date=Feb 12 2010, 07:30 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Feb 12 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No water? I guess that means no sludge or lava either. That's too bad, as it really added to the atmosphere in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No water means no water. IE, swimming, underwater vision, and all that fun stuff. If you want lava or sludge, make an animated texture scrolling. Done and done. You won't be swimming in either of those, I don't think.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    If no glass, isn't it possible to make a material without diffuse map?

I don't know much about a 3D engine, but you know, the material would have a subtle bump map and specular map and act like a glass maybe.

Btw, happy birthday Charlie ;)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The harvester looks like a parasite feeding off the res node, cool. This game also has great music so far.

With the cinematic editor, it sounds like you could put in all kinds of things. I'm imagining dropships coming in for bombing runs, dust storms, and pitched battles in the distance.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wow, the cinematic skybox.
    Although I'm curious how you guys are going to optimize all this to work on regular computers, sounds rendering the world that you play in that by the looks of it in the video had some difficulties and also taking care of a 3D-scene that can be animated and whatnot sounds like a huge undertaking to me at least. Glad you got the extra money from the pre-orders, seems like you're taking many bold steps with the engine to say the least.

And the new Harvester... it's quite hard to tell but do they have eyes? I think I can see something similiar to it on the conceptart and for a brief moment on the video. For me it would change my outlook on it at least to actually being something living; it's just a bit too gross being a huge tentacle with a suction-cup for my taste.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Cinematic skybox sounds AWESOME. I can completely see animated ships moving past or that sort of thing. Great idea.

The harvester is interesting- in game it looked great but now with this video a few things are bugging me about it. The real problem with it are the tentacles around the glowing area... they seem completely for show, they don't really add to it. I could completely see them being veins or something like in the original, but them flailing around was pretty funky. We will have to see it in-game, again in the video it seemed to fit in just fine and perhaps it will, but on its own it looked like one of those sculptures in beatlejuice that crawl around.

Pity about water, but thats a later consideration!
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    first thing i got in mind by watching the video of the new Harvester was

"omg gtfo here this thing is gonna blow"

maybe let it blow instead off fall down when it dies that realy look much better as dead animation ;)

and dont let it pump that much on size on gathering resources.. it might be good to see if the harvester is builded complete or not

but its enough with a litte less pumping ;)

hope my comment helps

Mega
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Really like the new look. I'll always think of <a href="http://www.pwncity.com/home/modules/CnC3/images/nod_files/nod_hand_of_nod.jpg" target="_blank">Hand of NOD</a> though. Wonder if NOD might catch on, hmm...

Cheers guys!
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited February 2010
    Owwww i like that new tower and cinema maker

But where is Marilyn Monroe ? :)

Also I agre Me9a with;
    "maybe let it blow instead off fall down when it dies that realy look much better as dead animation ;)"
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My god that resource to- I mean, <i>Harvester</i>, reminds me so much of Dead Space. The way it feels so...alive!

I'm pretty sure that the skybox question was the one I sent. You spelt my name wrong. It's one T, not two. :P

-Mathew
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Damn. No water or glass effect at initial release. Going to be strange playing the older maps without water or glass corridors once you do introduce them to Spark.

As for the Harvester, it's a great design, and it looks alot better and seems more alive than its NS counterpart. Nice name change too. But I think it would look MUCH better if it was to sway from side to side a little more, it looks too stiff for a living thing.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1752812:date=Feb 13 2010, 02:07 AM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Feb 13 2010, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But I think it would look MUCH better if it was to sway from side to side a little more, it looks too stiff for a living thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    Harvester: Like it :)

Glass: Hope to see this soon, I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere to have a few windows where you can view the outside of the station/ship or wherever you are. :)

Water: Doh, I'll have to rethink one of my rooms :\ I wanted to have boiling water in the bottom of a cave, so if you fell into it, you'd die pretty much instantly. Will it be possible to have "bottomless pits" you can fall down and die in? :p

Cinematic Skybox and Editor: Sounds really nice :)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited February 2010
    interesting info good job MAX.
    I allso love the new "RT" model, superb animation and it is so life like compared to the one in NS1
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    I like the new one, but i think I'm going to miss our old RT :(

I see a potential issue here:

What will will call this for sure? RT was perfect, what do we say here "can someone drop an H"???

Maybe it should have been called a resource harvester or something so we can use something other than "harvester" all the time.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    I like the girth and presence of the old model - this one feels as if I could pass it by and give it no more attention than some prop.
    Nonetheless Max is the man and he delivers.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Disappointment inc.

RT was decent

Rest ignore.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    To be completely honest, when I saw the Resource Tower for the first time, I hoped that it would only be an initial sketch of the model. The Resource Towers from NS were big, bulky and beautiful, but I can see why the decision was made to minimize the size of the new RT model. One issue with the old model and its size was probably the fact that Aliens could actually hide inside at the top of the RT and they would normally be completely concealed by. Aside from that, its size also gave the Gorge a leg up when defending and Skulks and advantage if a marine was stupid enough to rush an RT with a skulk behind it.

The current resource model has a couple of things that I'm concerned with. First of, the Gorge is now has less cover as they won't be able to hide behind the RT and cower from bullets. This likely means that a Gorge has either two options: Run or Die. The 3rd option, "Stay and own any marine who dares touch my RT" is no longer on the table. I think is would encourage players playing as the Gorge to be far more cautious than they should be. If I'm not playing as a Gorge myself, I'd want the nearby Gorge to put his life on the line for the sake of the team, rather than run away at the first sign of trouble like a scared sheep.

I'm also concerned with the size of the model in respect to just the look of it. It currently looks like it lacks the strength to hold itself like that over the RT. The Marine RT got bigger and bulkier (I think?) but the alien RT looks like it got an eating disorder and was somehow turned into a parasite/worm (which may have been what you were going for, as it totally looks like its using the Resource Nozzle in a symbiotic relationship). The Parasite/worm look, I think I kind of like, for what it is, but I think you should consider adding more mussle support or reposition the "head" of the RT. Why not have the RT latch on, and then curl itself around and around the RT like a Snake would curl around a victim? I think it would give a much more animated look and give some interesting animation options, it would give the Gorge/Aliens a bit of cover, and it would convey to the players that is clinging to the res node as if it needed it to survive.

I do love the tentacles that latch on to the res node though.

Edit: About the water/glass... if its really desired, I doubt it would be difficult to write entities up in Lua.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    Looking great. I love the new Harvestor. To the poster above though, remember Gorges have Damage Soak now, so they can stay and take enemy fire, wait for the marines to reload, and then spit them to death. Keep in mind this isn't NS1 gameplay. We're talking NS2 here.

Great job UWE, keep it up!

Edit1: Happy Birthday Charlie!

Edit2: Btw, don't know if anyone caught the Lerk easter egg in the cinematic photo. I think I can sort of make him out. There's proof that he's in the scene. He's one of the actors in the time frame ("Lerk1"). And in the second photo, I can see something up in the rafters. If someone wants to quickly circle it, would appreciate it.
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    No more feedwater =[

You guys should at least create a "floor" water affect, which would basically be a surface that people would use for puddles/wet floors. It would be clear with a transparent texture on top, and would make a splash sound when walked on.

Also, on glass, I LOVE levels with lots of glass-- big panoramic windows to space, observation decks, laboratory windows, etc. Hopefully people who are already designing maps know glass is coming and leave placeholder spots to be added in later.
    <!--quoteo(post=1752825:date=Feb 13 2010, 02:46 AM:name=BCSeph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCSeph @ Feb 13 2010, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, on glass, I LOVE levels with lots of glass-- big panoramic windows to space, observation decks, laboratory windows, etc. Hopefully people who are already designing maps know glass is coming and leave placeholder spots to be added in later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just figured we'd leave giant holes in our space ships so people can be sucked out into space and get a real good view of it.

:3
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I really like the new Harvester model. The name is neat too!

One issue that I do have with it, is that it looks kind of stiff. Like the neck of the tower does not move side-to-side which makes it seem unnatural for an organic thing.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    The harvester is perfect in every way.

well done
    golf_clap
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    The harvester looks odd to me because I can't figure how the resources are getting to the aliens. Will infestation sprout out from the tower and give it to the aliens through their feet? I just see it pumping stuff out of the hole in the ground into a ball.

Also, what kind of room are we supposed to make to house these resource towers? I've got a few ideas, but it will take some really creative mapping to integrate an even distribution of gas nodes throughout the entire facility. Like why would a cafeteria or sleeping quarter have resource nodes in them? Why would any room other than one specifically designed for resource extraction have them?

Whatever, I know it's just a game and I will overlook all of this very easily if I am supposed to just suspend my disbelief. Just curious I guess.
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1752821:date=Feb 12 2010, 09:37 PM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Feb 12 2010, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752821"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, don't know if anyone caught the Lerk easter egg in the cinematic photo. I think I can sort of make him out. There's proof that he's in the scene. He's one of the actors in the time frame ("Lerk1"). And in the second photo, I can see something up in the rafters. If someone wants to quickly circle it, would appreciate it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea. And the name of the map they have open is called 'lerk_reveal_p1". Expect Lerk reveal soon.
  • gam3ragam3ra Join Date: 2010-02-12 Member: 70540Members
    Harvester looks sick. Awesome Organic design. And as a marine, it looks fragile enough that it'd be way too tempting to lay into it with your rifle as soon as you caught sight of it.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Oo cinematic skyboxes sound exciting!