Weapon Switching

WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">A Plea to UWE!</div>Watching the Pre-Alpha footage I noticed something that many FPS' get wrong with weapon switching.
When you switch between weapons, it plays the slide-pull (or "gun cocking") animation when bringing up a different gun. As a real-life gun nut, I have to point out that the only time the slide should be pulled back is to chamber a round when the chamber is empty, which is only after a magazine has been emptied and you've reloaded.

This may seem like a small nit-pick, but saving that 1 precious second to not play the animation can mean the difference between life and death. When you're being run down by a skulk and your rifle runs out of ammo, and you go to switch to your pistol, the last thing you need is a useless slide-pull animation when there is actually already a round chambered.

Please, UWE: Only have a gun-cocking animation occur when reloading, not when switching between already loaded weapons.

Comments

• slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am no gun expert, but I agree with this man.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    It looks cool. Everything else is inconsequential.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751352:date=Feb 6 2010, 11:27 AM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Feb 6 2010, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751352"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It looks cool. Everything else is inconsequential.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Again, in the heat of battle, every second is critical.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751354:date=Feb 6 2010, 05:30 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Feb 6 2010, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, in the heat of battle, every second is critical.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So?
    Give Akimbo weapons then..

You are kinda reasoning a balance issue/change with a visual issue/realism.

Either you say that weapon switch should be faster for balance reasons you can't know yet, or you complain about visuals that don't make sense, which doesn't mean much because gameplay>visuals>realism.

I prefer fast weaponswitch so I kinda agree with you, but it's all about gameplay and balance, so you can't really judge it yet.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    If they want to have it for balance reasons, fine. But we should all know the frustration of not being able to pull out a gun fast enough to defend yourself. So from the Rine perspective, its not gameplay>realism, it's gameplay=realism.
  • DupoxDupox Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70455Members
    Im sure that this 1 second switching is to keep a balanced game. Maybe marines are now better against skulk, and this 1 sec is crucial to keep a fair fight.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Wow...

This suggestion really doesn't need to have anything to do with gameplay. This really comes down to a detail which would add some realism with no actual detriment to the game. It's a great idea.

If the game was already developed and you removed part of the animation on the weapon switch and put it on the weapon reload it could have an effect on the timing. But, it's just as easy to make the weapon switch take the exact same amount of time regardless of if the weapon cocking animation is part of it or not, and ditto for the reload.

The speed of weapon switching which has been mentioned in this thread is a different issue entirely. I would agree that fast weapon switches are important, especially paired with the ability to cancel a reload.

Truth is, it's not a tradeoff between realism and gameplay here. We can have our cake and eat it too!
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751364:date=Feb 6 2010, 11:55 AM:name=Dupox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dupox @ Feb 6 2010, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im sure<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you?
    Because this kind of problem, to me, generally seems like an animation oversight. There are so many other ways to balance a game other than to turn a blind eye to realism.

If we didn't care about realism over gameplay then we wouldn't have physics, ammo, health in games. Wouldn't a game be much simpler and easy to play without these things?
    This sort of limitation is only giving people a handicap on their own reactionary ability. I can think and move my fingers fast enough to whip out a weapon to defend myself, but oh, this unrealistically placed animation has to play first, now I'm dead.

<!--quoteo(post=1751371:date=Feb 6 2010, 12:07 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Feb 6 2010, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The speed of weapon switching which has been mentioned in this thread is a different issue entirely. I would agree that fast weapon switches are important, especially paired with the ability to cancel a reload.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Amen to reload canceling.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    How can you move your fingers fast enough, if you arm was bitten off before, because you had no armor?
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    it can be argued both ways, maybe in this game, that motion is taking off the safety switch, maybe it's a mistake the animator made because they use other weapon animations as an example. There's however two good arguments against it, one being that a real life pistol doesn't work like that (and these weapons seem derived from real weapons), and the other being that it makes it faster to weaponswitch without additional animations
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Totally agree with the OP. Good eye Zero.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i'm always impressed what kind of detail can critizise... as long as you don't expect that to be worked out for the alpha ;)
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751383:date=Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Feb 6 2010, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm always impressed what kind of detail can critizise... as long as you don't expect that to be worked out for the alpha ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But at least it's constructive criticism. :D
    And yeah, this is something that doesn't really need to be addressed until balancing comes more into play during Beta.
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    Good post, WhiteZero. I always enjoy reading constructive criticism, even if I don't agree. However, I agree on this one =)
    Even though I almost always tend to prefer gameplay and coolness over realism. If there is a good reason for having this 1 sec switch time, I don't see it, and would like to be enlightened.
    It should be faster to switch to a secondary weapon than to reload your primary. Not the other way around though, pulling out a primary should take longer than reloading your secondary.

And yes, reload canceling is awesome! I would also like to see the possibility to melee (knife, knuckles, hit with your gun, whatever) while reloading, jumping and crouching/proning. While doing those tasks, it would be most realistic (and fun imo) to actually hit with your gun, as you'd have little to no time to bring out a knife (or switch-axe or whatever is in NS2^^).
    No one would keep reloading if you see some skulk leaping at your face, if you had the possibility to hit it back with your gun and maybe stun it or knock it away.
  • Dante2500Dante2500 Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69071Members
    If you want to get all real about it, a trained Spess Mahreen (:D) would know not to ###### his weapon if it is loaded already.

However, having fast switch can produce issues such as the weaker Khaara (skulk, gorge) having less time to retreat or gain an advantage over Marines.

I'll leave this to the Dev's though.
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    Doesn't it take time to get your gun out in the first place? Thats what the animation is really showing, that 1 second of putting a weapon away and bringing out a new one. There needs to be that inherent delay. But if you don't like the way he ###### the gun back, maybe they can think of something different. But having that delay will show your "realism".
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Unfortunately you're completely wrong, what the Marine here is doing is priming the recoil-absorption nanites by using the built in kinetic energy generator on the pistol. In order to allow some degree of functionality away from the nano-grid and in order to provide redundant systems in case the nano-grid system is low on spare nanites for miscellaneous tasks, TSA pistols all contain this priming mechanism which utilizes a small amount of rechargeable, single-task nanites that are embedded permanently in the pistol. The priming mechanism channels a small jolt of energy into these nanites, activating theme for the next couple of minutes. The nanites themselves function as energy absorption modules because they are programmed to react automatically to the specific case of a round being fired by the pistol. Normally, the TSA Marine will find himself "on the grid" so to speak and charging his pistol with the kinetic energy generator will be redundant. However, in training, all TSA Marines are trained to be able to prime their pistol (and any other weapon that supports single-function redundant non-grid-dependent nanites) on each use, so as to ensure full functionality of the weapon in cases where the grid unexpectedly goes offline or is unable to provide the service in question because its nanites are already completely occupied in other areas, such as fighting off the Kharaa bacterium.

But you would be right if this was Counterstrike!
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    edited February 2010
    I'd prefer that these nanites did their task automatically... Oo
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Unfortunately they have no way of knowing when you're pulling out the pistol to shoot at stuff vs. just pulling it out for no good reason.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited February 2010
    I think reload cancelling should only be done with the Shotgun. And you would still chamber the current shell you are loading into the Shotgun when it is told to cancel (so the animation doesn't eff up).

Include an option to Auto Reload when gun is empty, like Day of Defeat. Makes the game more strategic. Do I pull out my Pistol to shoot the Skulk in the distance, or do I prepare for the 3 Skulk ambush I do not see around the corner?

This is one of the arcadey/quakish things I would change NS2 for the better.

Remember people, the LMG and HMG have been combined into a better averaged starting weapon for the Marines. The MG as I like to call it, probably will not require Weapons 1 anymore just to be able to kill a lot of Skulks.

As far as I have been able to gather, the MG also can choose the Grenade Launcher or the Flamethrower attachment (for a cost of course).

The LMG has been truly turned into a Swiss Army Knife, it has to have one drawback since it is free when you spawn.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I suppose they could replace it with some other little doodad that needs to be tweaked in order to get the same delay on the weaponswitch without being unrealistic.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751430:date=Feb 6 2010, 11:59 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 6 2010, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suppose they could replace it with some other little doodad that needs to be tweaked in order to get the same delay on the weaponswitch without being unrealistic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As in like, press the power switch. Change the phazer power setting from stun to maximum, Star Trek style?

(LOL Z!!! Could be interesting.)

Maybe the Ammo counter has to activate after a 0.5-2 second delay? That could be the work around.

Also I forgot to add this:

I think the MG with no attachments is getting a bash/stun kind of like Left 4 Dead, so I do think you won't be completely disadvantaged if they disable reload cancelling for the MG. Assuming that has not been scraped yet.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    It should take a second or two to switch guns, even if can be frustrating on occasion. It's only logical.

I agree with Celchuuu's take on the Pistol. We have no ideas how these guns actually function and right now, the animation they have is pretty snazzy.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751418:date=Feb 6 2010, 03:15 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 6 2010, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately you're completely wrong, what the Marine here is doing is priming the recoil-absorption nanites by using the built in kinetic energy generator on the pistol. blah blah blah textwall

But you would be right if this was Counterstrike!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I LOLed.
    Even your ridiculously technical explanation falls into the same situation. Why does it need to be primed more than once? why would the rine prime it over and over again if I switch between weapons constantly.

Still an animation oversight.
    No it's not a huge deal. Yes it's something that should be addressed.

/thread
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751462:date=Feb 6 2010, 10:16 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Feb 6 2010, 10:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I LOLed.
    Even your ridiculously technical explanation falls into the same situation. Why does it need to be primed more than once? why would the rine prime it over and over again if I switch between weapons constantly.

Still an animation oversight.
    No it's not a huge deal. Yes it's something that should be addressed.

/thread<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read his wall of text. The nanites in the gun are only active for a short time after being activated. The marine is also trained to prime it every time he pulls it out to be sure it will always function correctly. And the marine switching between his main weapon and his pistol 20 times a minute, makes as much sense as the marine priming the pistol 10 times in that minute.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751468:date=Feb 6 2010, 05:48 PM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Feb 6 2010, 05:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Read his wall of text.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did. Did you?
    He said "a couple of minutes". You know how much combat can occur in a "couple minutes"?
    Anyway, it's ludicrous to read into that post sense it was created basically to say "we don't really know how the guns work in the world of NS". And the truth is, UWE will probably never get that much into detail about it.

All this comes down to is balance of the time it takes to switch weapons.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751471:date=Feb 6 2010, 10:55 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Feb 6 2010, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did. Did you?
    He said "a couple of minutes". You know how much combat can occur in a "couple minutes"?
    Anyway, it's ludicrous to read into that post sense it was created basically to say "we don't really know how the guns work in the world of NS". And the truth is, UWE will probably never get that much into detail about it.

All this comes down to is balance of the time it takes to switch weapons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

His explanation is about as ludicrous as making guesses at game balance from a 2 second video clip.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I agree with whitezero on the cocking gun animation. Guns don't need to be continuously cocked and it is an animation oversight. However, it is nitpicking and just a small part of the game. If the devs have time, which they don't, then they can fix it. But right now, they need to concentrate on other issues like optimising the game, balancing, etc. Maybe once the game is out, the devs can come back to this and get rid of that animation.

To all those people that say that there needs to be time between switching weapons and not so instanteous, I'm not going to disagree or agree with that. But to use it to justify that cocking animation is just illogical. You do not need to have that cocking animation to drag out the time between situation. The devs can easily remove that animation, and just add one second to the weapon switch. Like making the guns come into view just a little bit slower. Or if you want, have a safety trigger that the marine would have to press everytime he draws his gun/puts it away.
  • Dante2500Dante2500 Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69071Members
    Replace it with an animation where you slide out the ammo clip halfway as if checking ammo then slide it back in?

Grasping for leaves in the wind here.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    Congratulations on making up some bull######, but everyone with two braincells to rub together knows the devs goofed on that one. It's not really a big deal, but don't pretend it shouldn't be fixed just because the devs did it and "the devs are always right."

My bigger beef is with the Rifle's viewmodel though. Did you see the way that thing was swinging during the sprint animation? Your elbow would literally be above your head if you were waving your arms around like that. Has anyone at UWE ever, like, touched a real gun before? Or just run while carrying something?