Battlefield bad company 2

Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Your opinions</div>Hello all,

so a lot of people in my friends list are now in the open beta for bbc2 any one played it whats your verdict ? Seems nice last battlefield game I played was bf2 been playing a little mw2 but I'm not sure if its worth my time really any how discuss..
<a href="http://badcompany2.ea.com/en-gb/agegate" target="_blank">bbc2 webpage</a>

Comments

• sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Surprisingly disappointed with it as many people saw it as the holy grail in answer to MW2's poor effort.

Having played both versions, the 360 demo runs better and has superior hit registry. The amount of smoke in the game is frustrating, too. It seems if a team mate so much as sneezes there's a blanket of smoke covering my vision.

The audio is fantastic, FWIW.

I'll probably get a refund before release date from Steam.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I'll paste my post from another thread:

I got in the BC2 MP beta without pre-ordering the game, and thank crap for that. The game is a spit in the face of every battlefield fan there ever was. I've played and loved every battlefield game except vietnam, and BC2 is a disappointment in every way imagineable.

A) You can't prone,
    B) Your health regenerates,
    C) A little thing pops up on your screen when you kill someone "+50 POINTS FOR KILL",
    D) YOU CANNOT GO PRONE. YOU MUST SNIPE WHILST CROUCHING. GFG

Oh, and it crashes every three minutes. And the server browser crashes the game instantly.

And you have to log into your account, and then select your soldier, every time you want to play. Why can't it just seamlessly remember my account and soldier? Why must I click like fifteen meaningless buttons?

Ugh.

If you want modern warfare 2 with player-controlled vehicles, by all means, get it. Otherwise steer clear.

--Scythe--
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Your health doesn't regenerate, Scythe, unless someone is healing you. And the game doesn't crash every 3 minutes and the server browser doesn't crash ever. And having to log in has happened since BF2 at least.

I've been having a huge amount of fun with the beta. It's got better infantry combat than the Battlefield series has ever had, plus they got rid of the jets. I really like the intense, chaotic nature of the battle and the destructible buildings and objects are ridiculously awesome. Blowing open a wall with a tank to get at the objective inside is wonderful fun. The graphics are great and the sound is some of the best sound in any videogame ever. They cut down on the number of classes, making them all useful in a fight, and my only objection is that they removed prone, which really doesn't matter all that much because who really cares. Most games don't have prone in the first place.
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    I might save my money and go bioshock 2 for now then.
    prone is a useful feature in that type of game imo.
    I may wait until the demo is out as I do not have access to the beta at the moment.
    Thanks for comments.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Your health does regenerate, you can tell how alive you are by how much blood/dirt is on your screen and how muffled the sound is. I'm honeslty glad that prone has been taken out because the gameplay is very action packed, fast moving and exciting having 6+ invisible, impossible to see snipers just murdering eveything with no way to kill them would stagnate the gameplay and just ruin the entire thing.

The combination of the destructable enviroment, the sound, the action it all blends into something that's really enjoyable from the moment you start and all this crying about it ruining the series and wahhh there's no prone blublub console port are just crying for the sake of it. They made up their mind to hate and judge it before they played it with an un-biased opinion.

It's still in beta and they're still fixing it. I imagine the full version will be 10 times better than what it is right now, and that's damn good already.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Limited Edition:
    <ul><li>Improved Vehicle Armor: An up-armor package is mounted on all vehicle types, decreasing the effect of both explosive and penetrating warheads, significantly improving vehicle survivability.</li><li>Supreme Vehicle Firepower: Additional weapon packages are mounted for the driver of all armored vehicles, greatly expanding the range of targets the vehicle can successfully engage and destroy.</li><li>Vehicle Motion Sensor: Use this electronics warfare package to locate enemy units in direct proximity to the vehicle.</li><li>Tracer Dart Pistol: This magnetic dart attaches to any vehicle surface, allowing squad members to track, lock on, and fire rockets onto moving targets even beyond line of sight.</li><li>M1A1 Sub-machine Gun: Reliable but heavy this classic weapon is a powerful force in the hands of any Battlefield veteran.</li><li>M1911 Pistol: Highly customized M1911 are favoured for its dependability and the power of its large .45 caliber round.</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm gameplay enhancing items for the pre-order peeps and I heard something about ww2 era weapons for BF1943 owners (not yet on PC dammit)

ww2 weapons are cool, but as for the rest... I'd rather just have black armor :P
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Wait, really? People can brazenly buy themselves an advantage in the game?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    pretty much

<a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/5565/" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/app/5565/</a>

The Vehicle Motion Sensor thingy on vehicles is basically a wallhack :P
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Oh no people who pre-order get perks in the game that <i>you can get without pre-ordering it just by playing</i>. It's just a little bonus.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I love how at the beginning of that video you linked Kouji the tanks tracks stop working and it keeps going at the same speed.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    edited February 2010
    It sounded like these are for limited edition only folks, which would suck. If you can unlock them ingame than I have no objection.

BTW. I can't play the game because for some reason, after I start it, it just sits on the login screen. Don't see a cursor or anything. Anyone know about this?
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    loving this beta, gives me that good old bf2 feeling; ITS WAR. I love the sound of an a-10 in the morning. insane sound efx, been a while since i got so immersed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1750241:date=Feb 2 2010, 02:13 AM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Feb 2 2010, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounded like these are for limited edition only folks, which would suck. If you can unlock them ingame than I have no objection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, all those things are unlockable in the normal game by normal people. I've already got half of them and i haven't played the beta much.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    Okay, preordered this. I figure I can just cancel it if I don't like the demo.
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1750290:date=Feb 2 2010, 05:31 PM:name=Abra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Abra @ Feb 2 2010, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, preordered this. I figure I can just cancel it if I don't like the demo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Just throwing it out there, but if you use the key to be able to play the closed beta... Wouldn't that be quite similar to buying an ice-cream opening up the package, taking a bite, then deciding you don't like it and you want a refund :P
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    you could also say its like buying a car, deciding you don't like the way it handles. If they are using the beta key as a carrot on a stick why not.
    <!--quoteo(post=1750290:date=Feb 2 2010, 10:31 AM:name=Abra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Abra @ Feb 2 2010, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, preordered this. I figure I can just cancel it if I don't like the demo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not a demo, it's a beta. The codebase is old and busted.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    edited February 2010
    Played the demo/beta on xbl this evening and to be honest its kinda keek.

Its still as clumsy and broken as the old one only now we've got silly toy helicopters and such to deal with.

Good effort but no dice. (Zing!)
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750421:date=Feb 3 2010, 01:55 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 3 2010, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a demo, it's a beta. The codebase is old and busted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know that. "Codebase is old and busted" I don't what you mean.
    <!--quoteo(post=1750568:date=Feb 3 2010, 03:49 PM:name=Abra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Abra @ Feb 3 2010, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know that. "Codebase is old and busted" I don't what you mean.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The codebase for the beta we're playing is a few weeks behind where the actual game is at, meaning it's lacking a lot of improvements that will be present in the final product, plus all the changes/fixes/tweaks that they are going to do as a result of having the beta.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Tried the xbox demo, didn't like it. I especially didn't like that you have to register/log into their system to play a <i>demo on a console</i>.
    <!--quoteo(post=1750590:date=Feb 3 2010, 05:37 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Feb 3 2010, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tried the xbox demo, didn't like it. I especially didn't like that you have to register/log into their system to play a <i>demo on a console</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How is it supposed to track your stats for your unlocks if you don't log in?
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750693:date=Feb 4 2010, 08:53 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 4 2010, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is it supposed to track your stats for your unlocks if you don't log in?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dunno, with my Live! username? that's what other games do
    Or it could just not track my stats, it's just a demo after all
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    So far I'm not impressed. Only played a couple of games. Blowing up walls/houses is fun tho.
  • Dante2500Dante2500 Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69071Members
    It's boring repeating the same map.

I'll probably get it for the Campaign Mode, and the variety of maps and modes for Multiplayer.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1750261:date=Feb 2 2010, 12:53 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 2 2010, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, all those things are unlockable in the normal game by normal people. I've already got half of them and i haven't played the beta much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd like to query this one. Tycho, are you definitely able to get all the items listed in the Limited Edition in the normal one?
    <!--quoteo(post=1752088:date=Feb 9 2010, 01:44 PM:name=Shockwave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shockwave @ Feb 9 2010, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to query this one. Tycho, are you definitely able to get all the items listed in the Limited Edition in the normal one?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have them all unlocked! Okay, I actually am one level away from the Tommy Gun and I don't have the Tracer Gun yet either. But I've got the rest! RIGHT NOW!
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1752093:date=Feb 10 2010, 04:27 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 10 2010, 04:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have them all unlocked! Okay, I actually am one level away from the Tommy Gun and I don't have the Tracer Gun yet either. But I've got the rest! RIGHT NOW!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    err...dont forget its the beta..they might just testing the items on everyone to make sure they wont destabilize gameplay, and/or to make sure peoples will see that stuff and preorder the deluxe package aswell.. and then, beta is over and poof your items are gone.. no longer unlockable... it all happend more than once
    You get the items in the beta earlier than you would in the retail game, just to let people use them. But *all* the pre-order bonuses <i>will</i> be unlockable by everyone when the game comes out.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I actually like this game quite a bit. I think Dice is trying to separate the Bad Company series from their more traditional Battlefield series and I'm glad they decided to explore this.

The very best thing about this game, and something that hasn't really been commented on yet, is the atmosphere. This game feels like a first person version of World in Conflict. Explosions are everywhere, people are constantly shooting, it's a very immersion and chaotic environment yet I don't ever feel helpless or trapped and the fighting remains focused and entertaining.

I'm also fortunate enough to have upgraded my computer (i5 750, 4gb DDR3, etc) so it looks and runs very well. The vehicles are powerful but not overpowered, unlocks come in at a decent rate, and I'm having loads of fun.