Mass Effect 2

2»

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Compared to Dragon Age, I much prefer Mass Effect 2. It's "open ended" enough for me to do basic exploration but it still progresses down the main story line at a decent rate and keeps me interested.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749832:date=Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3. Lack of inventory. Again, this was weird to me, but I always hated picking up everything to end up selling 95% of it the first chance you got. Makes sense to just do away with the picking up and just gives credits like they do now. Only downside here is weapons. I wish we could switch on the fly. On that note, I hate when you pick up a new gun and it replaces the current one in your inventory (maybe a bug for me?). It's switched out a good weapon for the situation for a worse one a few times on me now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it's a bug, but yeah, it's definitively annoying, especially when it changes your sniper rifle or your heavy weapon. Sometimes you'll get a weapon locker a little further down the road, but it's not always the case.

<!--quoteo(post=1749832:date=Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Planet exploring. Hrm. Not sure on this still. Scanning = fun the first 2 times. Snore fest after that. It's better than the mako purely because you don't have to spend 20 minutes driving around a planet, but it still suffers from the boring repetition. I liked having a vehicle to explore planets and would love that back, but somehow changed compared to ME1. Useful explanation, I know.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's supposed to be the <a href="http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerhead" target="_blank">Hammerhead</a> which will be released as DLC one day, so we'll get some exploration-behind-the-wheel, but I don't think it'll be as extensive. By the way, I haven't done much scanning/exploration yet, but in ME1 there was one "playable" planet per solar system; does this seem to be the case in ME2?

I agree that the scanning isn't very entertaining, and it also hurts my MOUSE2 finger thanks to the bad design. It'd be much better if it was at least a on/off toggle. There's an upgrade you can buy which supposedly makes scanning easier/faster, but I didn't see the difference.

<!--quoteo(post=1749832:date=Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And total side note: Joker's banter/comments with EDI are probably the best part.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, Joker was always my favorite, and I was glad he plays a bigger role in ME2. Joker and some of the Renegade "interruptions" (or whatever they are called) are imo the funniest things in the game.

<!--quoteo(post=1749832:date=Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jan 30 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->P.S - It's less buggy, but damn, still a few bad mission bugs for me making me not able to complete them. Nothing major, but when actions in this game can affect the next one, it's annoying me a lot :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What kind of bugs? The only bugs I encountered are 1) game freeze (fixed by alt-tab'ing in and out) and 2) I once couldn't talk to an NPC, but saving -> main menu -> resume fixed this.

@lolf:
    I'm playing an infiltrator right now and I must agree that the sniper needs a little more ammo. It doesn't bother me that much since I'm more a "cloak & get closer" player, but my current sniper rifle (Widow I believe) has like 13 rounds WITH the +10% spare ammo armor upgrade. Something like 20 would be much better. The zoom's slow motion allows you to make every bullet count though; I hardly miss a target's head
    with that.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    From looking at the videos and reviews, I'm worried that ME2 has become too much of an action game, rather than a RPG. Everything RPG seems either cut out or overly streamlined. I haven't played it yet so I don't know. Any comments on this? If you had to break it down by percentage, how much is RPG and how much is an action game?

50/50? 30 rpg/70 action? or 70 rpg/30action?
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I was looking forward to this game so much that I played through ME1 again just to have a save ready... and now that it's out, I don't have a desire to get it anymore. go figure. I think it's because I'm so spoiled by various deals on Steam that I can't fathom paying full price for a game ever again...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749868:date=Jan 31 2010, 01:15 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jan 31 2010, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you had to break it down by percentage, how much is RPG and how much is an action game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Anyone who actually tries to answer that question will just be pulling numbers out of their ass. What makes an rpg? Assigning stats to attributes? By that standard there are few games more rpg-y than Eve Online, that game is spreadsheet heaven. I've played rpgs that used minimal stats, even no stats whatsoever. And how do you even quantify things like "rpg" and "action game?" This isn't about math.
    There's less stats-juggling in this game than the previous, while the gunplay is more streamlined. Your class choice and where you invest your levels still make a big difference in how you fight, maybe even bigger now with the classes being more distinct from each other. Some of the annoying chores from the old game have been removed. If you played Mass Effect and you have read through this thread up to this point and you still don't know whether the game is too actiony for you, there's no helping you.

On a different topic, the scanning upgrade allows you to move the cursor around faster, reducing the risk of RSI. Yes, you're paying 15k iridium for the privilege of increasing your mouse sensitivity from intolerably low to annoyingly low.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Bugs:

The main one I keep running to is getting stuck. It's happened when just walking, when surging forward as my vanguard, when jumping over cover, etc. It's not a game breaker, but it's happened enough that I use the quick save liberally just to avoid having to redo some gameplay. As for mission bugs, the worst is one where I am supposed to read 5 clues to figure some stuff out. I have found 4 of the 5 clues (all right in the same little market) but the one is missing. I checked around on IRC and online and found where it is supposed to be, but it just is not there. No mix of reloading, rebooting, or leaving the planet and returning fixed it. Ah well.

As for how RPG there is, like lolf said, a percentage is totally random. My review kind of pointed out just how different this is from a standard RPG that it's hard to compare. If you consider having to sort through 100 items in your iventory after every mission vital to a 'RPG', then it's lost that. This is not your typical RPG, it's taken new stabs at how to handle a lot of stuff. Most of it's worked, but like any game, there is a few areas to work on. Personally, I haven't mind most of the "RPG" stuff cut since it was just the mind numbing boring stuff.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    I fully endorse this product. :P

So far from what I've seen (4 hours gameplay) everything that's changed or new is an improvement over the original (which I played pretty much exhaustively over 100 hours). While I am the sort of person who enjoys 'management' gameplay, I definitely think the way ME2 has streamline the skills and inventory systems makes the game a lot more immediate, with better flow and ultimately better gameplay.

- Then there are loads of nice little minigames to replace the barebones push-button gameplay that ME2 had for collecting rare resources, hacking, etc.

- The exploration is actually linked into the rest of the game (scanning/probing uncharted worlds for gives you resources that you actually use to implement the upgrades you find), and loot is a lot rarer so exploration gives more of a payoff than in ME1.

- Also focusing more on individual party members by taking them out on missions with you has a bigger payoff, since there is a branch of abilities for each NPC that can only be unlocked once they are 'loyal' to you (and they can also become disloyal, I'm told).

- Environments are more diverse and less sparse to look at: even if the critical path is still fairly plain for gameplay/performance reasons, the stuff outside the playable area is a lot more fleshed out and makes the places you go to feel less self-contained, and there are small details like props and so on that make the playable area feel a little bit more alive.

- The combat is also much more fluid and feels more tactical thanks to a simple rock-papers-scissors weapon type versus armour type system they've added in. And although there are less skills per character, there are a few more characters to choose from and each one feels more unique, plus you're not just restricted to a lousy pistol if you're a tech/biotic class. The choices you make in the leveling/abilities system have more consequence, since the high-level skills require you to save up two sets of level-ups to buy and once you get there you have to choose between two very different options, which makes your character and the combat role you're choosing much more personal and unique.

- Also carrying on your character does seem consequential (e.g. I had resource/money bonuses from my prev char), but you can still alter your appearance and your class type if you want. I switched to a kind of 'stealth' class that can use a short-term cloak with damage bonuses in combination with SMGs, Pistols and Sniper Rifle.

Overall ME2 is looking a lot more rounded than ME1. It's worth noting that they've bundled a load of DLC into 1st-hand purchases that will only be available to 2nd-hand purchasers as paid DLC, such as party members with unique missions and the like (clever idea if you ask me). If you liked ME1 it's a complete no-brainer, if you kinda liked it but found it a bit of a chore or a bit clunky or stale, again I'd recommend it.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    The lack of new weapons and armor after playing roughly half the game is a bit boring if you ask me (terminus armor for PC might fix that once I get CE). Then again, compared to the me1 inflation of "5% more damage a little now and then" It's still cool. It also features full armor color customization along with various helmets and addons.

I love combat and knocking people over ledges with vanguard charge, a bit odd sometimes when people die because they didnt land on flat floor. It certainly is powerful, but anyone with more then just health wont be knocked back and if you aren't careful, you will die easily from being surrounded. The new 'multi class' helps to deal with this though. Basically when you gain the loyalty of a team member (doing personal mission for them and not screwing it up too bad) you get to train yourself with their special skill. I helped out garrus for example and got his barrier skill, this has several times allowed me to charge, realize im in deep ###### and activate barrier to storm to cover. Close combat is really entertaining with the choices you are given, it even comes upgrades for your melee bashing.

At least the shotgun gets an ammo upgrade which doubles the amount of spare ammo. Reading the database on the reason for switching to coolant clips I wonder if they have not simply shot themselves in the foot. Apparently it was the geth who 'discovered' that the side shooting most bullets over a period of time usually won the fight without covering to release heat. The universe got their hands on the tech and adapted it galaxy wide under two years. Now, this is just in my head but I recall shooting more then 5 times with a shotgun without it overheating and even near infinite times with high end pistols and rifles. Also, overheat 2-3 times > run out of ammo after 3 reloads.

Anyone else feel you have been screwed over by taking cover several times? I've been forced to stand up for looking behind me, activating various powers that does not need a target and just failing to sit down properly or jump over it which has resulted in my death on more then one occasion.

I recommend playing at least one difficulty over normal as most battles are rather easy, just having trouble with big mechs but I'd say it's the vanguard's main weakness. Getting close to them is pure suicide before armor and shields are down. It's not like you can circle strafe them or anything either.

Once or twice I've encountered getting stuck while running bug, nothing else really.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749877:date=Jan 30 2010, 08:17 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jan 30 2010, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a different topic, the scanning upgrade allows you to move the cursor around faster, reducing the risk of RSI. Yes, you're paying 15k iridium for the privilege of increasing your mouse sensitivity from intolerably low to annoyingly low.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for the info. Now that you said it, I do remember the difference. Well, it's better than nothing, but I expected something more out of this iridium.

<!--quoteo(post=1749952:date=Jan 31 2010, 07:58 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Jan 31 2010, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Also focusing more on individual party members by taking them out on missions with you has a bigger payoff, since there is a branch of abilities for each NPC that can only be unlocked once they are 'loyal' to you (and they can also become disloyal, I'm told).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just completed my second playthrough and yeah, they can indeed become disloyal (as in losing their "loyal" status, not becoming less than neutral I believe). I doesn't seem to apply to everyone though, only <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Tali, Legion, Jack and Miranda</span> as far as I know. When completing <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Legion</span> and <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Jack</span>'s personal mission, a conflict sparks between the two former and the two latter when you come back on the Normandy. If you don't have enough Paragon/Renegade points to settle the dispute, you're forced to side with one of them. You can still go talk to the other afterwards and try to reason with him/her, but then again you need lots of Paragon/Renegade points. My first playthrough had full Paragon (thanks to importing a ME1 char) so I had no problem, but my second one wasn't able to convince <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Jack</span> even with my Paragon bar being more than ¾ filled. I guess you can also get <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Garrus</span> to be disloyal if you interrupt his assassination. Oh, and having two disloyal members did affect the final mission; I can't imagine what happens if half the team isn't loyal.

<!--quoteo(post=1749952:date=Jan 31 2010, 07:58 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Jan 31 2010, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Also carrying on your character does seem consequential (e.g. I had resource/money bonuses from my prev char), but you can still alter your appearance and your class type if you want. I switched to a kind of 'stealth' class that can use a short-term cloak with damage bonuses in combination with SMGs, Pistols and Sniper Rifle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You do get money and xp bonuses for importing an ME1 save, although once you've completed the game, all new ME2 characters start with 50k of all resources, which is nice too. I think that importing a character is probably the best thing for replayability, since it seems all new ME2 characters are assuming you made the following choices in ME1: <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>let the Council die, killed Wrex on Virmire, let Kaidan/Ashley die (opposite to character's gender), destroyed everything on Feros, killed the Rachni Queen(?)</span>.

<!--quoteo(post=1749955:date=Jan 31 2010, 08:00 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jan 31 2010, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else feel you have been screwed over by taking cover several times? I've been forced to stand up for looking behind me, activating various powers that does not need a target and just failing to sit down properly or jump over it which has resulted in my death on more then one occasion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I feel your pain. Although I haven't tried a Vanguard yet, it's sometimes hard to quickly get to cover properly. I have no problems with activating powers, but looking behind you or trying to deal with someone dangerously close to you is a pain sometimes.

@Comprox: Sorry to hear that; I didn't get stuck once yet, but my freezes are far less frequent since I've updated my display drivers. You might want to take a look at that, who knows.

As for ME2 being a RPG or not, well, it all depends on what you consider RPG'ish, like others have said. Imo it is a RPG since you spend the whole game playing a role, either good guy or bad guy, and your attitude influences countless factors. If you're looking for extensive stats, detailed party management etc., I don't think you'll find it here.
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
    edited February 2010
    I liked the game a lot up until the end, which was a little disappointing.

I expected more - hell, ANYTHING - to be revealed at the end. Instead I got a cheesy final boss that didn't make sense. (Also the fight was long, boring, and not the least bit challenging. I didn't get hit once.) <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>I was REALLY looking forward to the fight with the Collector general. Didn't get to meet him at all! =/</span>

By the end of the game I felt I was in pretty much the exact same place as I was at the end of Mass effect 1, and had made no progress as far as stopping the Reapers. (I'm sure people will tell me otherwise, and I can see where you'd be coming from, but I didn't feel like my character accomplished anything) <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>In some small part, It might be because you can either destroy or not destroy the collector base. Since that is a choice you can make, there's an underlying sense that it really won't matter in mass effect 3 anyways. That really lessens the impact. Sure I stopped the collectors, but they were really small potatoes compared to the Reapers. And what did I learn about the reapers in this game? That they like to build giant robots that look kinda like the terminator by melting down people?? WTF?? Really?? Going to the reaper ship was kinda cool. Didn't really learn much about Reapers there... The last scene with the reapers descending on the galaxy? Yeah, pretty cool... I was expecting maybe to run into something like sovereign sometime after the Omega 4 relay. But nah... Terminator.</span>

Yeah I loved everything up to there, though.

They improved a lot of stuff. At first I didn't like a lot of the gameplay changes they made, but I got used to them and started to like it.