ns install problems

cat1547cat1547 Join Date: 2010-01-14 Member: 70156Members
<div class="IPBDescription">can't find valid steam</div>I have been looking around the forum for some time now and I have tried everything that I found but nothing works.

Please help.

Thanks,

cat1547

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    you did EVERYTHING in the sticky?

== 1. Natural Selection installation issues. ==
    Also known as:
    "Setup has not detected a valid Steam installation"

Causes:
    1. Steam isn't installed on this PC in a detectable fashion
    2. Half-Life isn't installed on this PC

Fixes:
    1. Steam isn't installed on this PC in a detectable fashion
    Download a fresh copy of Steam from <a href="http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?ar...amnow&cc=GB" target="_blank">http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?ar...amnow&cc=GB</a> , and install as usual. Login to your Steam account, and download a fresh copy of the pre-requisite files for Natural Selection.

2. Half-Life isn't installed on this PC
    You need to make sure of 2 things. 1, that you do have Half-Life properly bound to your account and 2, that you have actually downloaded the files for Half-Life, and played through the Training Course AS A BARE MINIMUM.
    If you don't own Half-Life (the original version, NOT Half-Life: Source, or Half-Life 2), then you need to go out, and buy yourself a copy of it. It's carried by all good stores that stock video games, and is also carried by all major online retailers. You can also purchase it direct through Steam, using either a credit card (all of the world), or using a PayPal account (except in Germany, at the current moment).
    If you do own Half-life, and have bound the CD-Key to your Steam account, then Steam will automatically download the files required to play the game.
  • cat1547cat1547 Join Date: 2010-01-14 Member: 70156Members
    I just tried that but I got the same result (by the way I am using windows 7).

Thanks cat1547,
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    you did this? <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and played through the Half Life Training Course AS A BARE MINIMUM<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    did you buy HL:Source or HL?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    You have reinstalled steam, installed HL via steam, and played through the hazard course?

The only thing that causes that message is when windows is not aware of the HL install, which comes from:
    1) It not existing.
    2) It not being fully installed (hazard course).
    3) It not being properly associated with windows (copy and paste or something).

IF you have done all of those things it should work, if it still doesn't, I honestly have no clue what to day.

Can you install any other HL mods?
    What bout source mods?