A question I couldnt find in the FAQ..

darkremixxdarkremixx Join Date: 2007-01-26 Member: 59766Members
Hello all,

last last evening, I went ahead and purchased the ns2 special edition and started tinkering around with the spark editor. Amazing after using both hammer and udk for a while- a clear breath of fresh air. I have been working on a map for a bit now and I had a few questions that I hope could be solved:

- Ive made my map, and now I want to "walk around" in it. I know there is the right-click and WASD, but I want to remove the entity icons so I could for example take a screenshot of my level. Does the currently build allow for such a thing?

Thanks for anyone's two cents on this, and cheers to uwe for creating a great engine!

Cheers :)

Comments

• KesterKester Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26770Members, Constellation
    You need to add them to a layer and then hide them.

To do this hit f7 to open the layer menu and create a new layer, select everything you want to hide, then click the empty box next to your newly created layer, then just click the view/hide button.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    There isn't currently any way for you to walk around in your level.
  • darkremixxdarkremixx Join Date: 2007-01-26 Member: 59766Members
    Thanks for your quick responses!

I figured that was the case, drat. oh well. I hope that uwe comes out with a build that allows for a player we can walk around in our levels with. I really like to see the speed of the walk for the aliens/marines and figure out pacing for levels.

One more question I was thinking of, Is there a way to change the transformation tools from world xyz to local xyz?

Thanks for all your help so far! :-)
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited January 2010
    Nope, but I gather the later versions will allow you to playtest your level right in the editor, guns and structures and maybe even real-time editing, a-la UED3.

Also, yes, you can add lights to a layer and hide it: the icons will disappear, but the lights will not.
  • darkremixxdarkremixx Join Date: 2007-01-26 Member: 59766Members
    Thank you very much Draco! I hope it is sooner than we all think. Cheers

:-)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Once the NS2 game alpha is released (hopefully in the next few months), you will be able to playtest inside the game itself.

I suppose they could add an integration component to Spark which would allow Spark to auto-update the in-game map as you edit it. However, I'd bet against them fully embedding the NS2 engine into Spark as it would add considerable weight to the Spark footprint.