So much focus on the tool and less about the game.

Comments

• TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748199:date=Jan 20 2010, 01:33 PM:name=Ligerio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ligerio @ Jan 20 2010, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I bet nobody will reply to this because they cannot say that I am wrong here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No but I will respond to this psychotic rambling.

<!--quoteo(post=1748116:date=Jan 20 2010, 04:23 AM:name=Ligerio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ligerio @ Jan 20 2010, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Sorry, it's just very unprofessional</b>, when it's no longer a free mod.
    I would suspect this to be a little more professional handled.

\\ So please stop with the "I'll defend my base attitude!" ... Because your talking a talk that has nothing to do with this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"... <i>what?!</i>"
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    There are two arguments here.

1) UWE sold the preorder on a Fall 2009 beta

2) UWE are focusing to much on the tools and less on the game.

To anyone with any experience with development, one thing is clear: Focusing on the tools now will produce a higher quality game faster.

As for whether or not you pre-ordered with the expectation of something playable in 2009, that is a separate discussion to what the original topic proposed and I can understand why people would be annoyed that t2009 has passed and the game is still not available in a playable form.

All I would say is this: I personally want them to delay public access until the game is ready. First impressions last, and we want those first impressions to be very powerful. So take your time UWE, I can be patient.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    Geez people, this thread is a dead horse, yet you're still beating on it. Everyone here has their mind set in stone and nothing you say will make they change; how can you not see that?

And to all the PR, game design, accounting and whatnot expert in this thread, you should send your CV to UWE, they are always looking for talented people.
  • ckreonckreon Join Date: 2009-06-30 Member: 67977Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748208:date=Jan 20 2010, 06:07 AM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Jan 20 2010, 06:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Geez people, this thread is a dead horse, yet you're still beating on it. Everyone here has their mind set in stone and nothing you say will make they change; how can you not see that?

And to all the PR, game design, accounting and whatnot expert in this thread, you should send your CV to UWE, they are always looking for talented people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I assume that second point was aimed at me, since I directly discussed PR, marketing and accounting.

If I didn't run my own business already, I might consider trying to talk the UWE guys into making such a position. However, I don't have the time to dedicate to them, and I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite against my own advice.

Plus, I really doubt they're going to add another position on the team. That's one more mouth to feed, and while I think it would serve them better in the long-run, it doesn't seem like something they're interested in (or they would have created and filled the position already).

I'd be willing to bet there is some talent and dedication lurking in this forum somewhere that would probably do the job for free though...
  • LigerioLigerio Join Date: 2009-12-30 Member: 69825Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1748207:date=Jan 20 2010, 03:06 PM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Jan 20 2010, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are two arguments here.

1) UWE sold the preorder on a Fall 2009 beta<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do not forget that middle in 2009, the people behind NS2
    asked Valve behind SteamPowered to set up pre-order on their service.

Imagine if Valve would accepted that.
    And NS2 team would get alot of income.

Then when we would get to 2010 without the game, what would happen?
    It would put Valve in a bad light for selling pre-order for a game that have:
    - No release date.
    - No real gameplay footage.
    - Just a "soon" coming to you.
    So Valve is just being realistic by not having NS2 as pre-order on their service, why can't we be realistic? And talk realistic.

-- So my question to you "puzl" or anyone else: why the mix signals? You launch a pre-order for a beta - that you want to have on SteamPowered?
    -- <b>When</b> did SteamPowered have <u>pre-orders for betas?</u> :) that have <u>no release date of the core game</u>.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Now you're just speculating on the ridiculous. Perhaps the reason pre-orders aren't on steam is because they didn't have an accurate project time-line.

I remember it being pretty clear that 2009 was what they were aiming for, and not something they committed to 100%, though I could be wrong and I can't be arsed looking it up because

a) I mainly pre-ordered to support the team.
    b) I don't really care when it is done, as long as it is done properly. If time is what they need to make that happen, then as far as I'm concerned, they can have as long as they need.

You are lambasting them for not being a highly organised, market driven, business focused game developer. You forget that many of us support them for EXACTLY the same reasons - i.e. we are gasping for a quality indie game in the modern era.
  • TephraTephra Join Date: 2010-01-17 Member: 70193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748217:date=Jan 20 2010, 09:35 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Jan 20 2010, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now you're just speculating on the ridiculous. Perhaps the reason pre-orders aren't on steam is because they didn't have an accurate project time-line.

I remember it being pretty clear that 2009 was what they were aiming for, and not something they committed to 100%, though I could be wrong and I can't be arsed looking it up because

a) I mainly pre-ordered to support the team.
    b) I don't really care when it is done, as long as it is done properly. If time is what they need to make that happen, then as far as I'm concerned, they can have as long as they need.

You are lambasting them for not being a highly organised, market driven, business focused game developer. You forget that many of us support them for EXACTLY the same reasons - i.e. we are gasping for a quality indie game in the modern era.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is the exact reason I pre-ordered, and the reason I supported ns1. The major development studios are churning out garbage, we need to support serious indie game developers. UWE is at the top of my list.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Puzl wins the thread on a coherent "Shut up". Thank you.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2010
    Like I said, the point has been been a few pages back already. So why keep repeating the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

See how annoying repetition is, now lets leave it at that and stop the reruns. I usually switch the channel on TV when a rerun is on, so here goes *click*

Some really need to read up on what a discussion is, it usually involves new and interesting counter points instead of hammering the same nail into the wall using a different colored hammer each time until the building needs to be torn down again for NS3 :P
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    Max posted HIMSELF, we work on the game more than the tools.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    I wonder if it would make a difference if we told him that UWE was on Valve Time.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    Im pretty sure there just waiting till they have A LOT to give at once, so people wont keep asking for more till the game is done.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    At this rate it'll be more fun to use the tools then to actually play the game :P
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    ...Because no major game company has ever been slow on making/releasing a game. Not Valve, or EA, or anyone. Nope.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    I just got to say LOL @ Ligerio's fail thread "Strategy to get new paying customers!"
    Seriously, you need to look into getting a life instead of trolling the forums, man.
    We get it, you don't need to keep making threads about your displeasure with how things have gone with release dates.

Games get pushed back all the time, even when people have pre-ordered it already. Welcome to the world of Gaming.
    On a more positive note - I really can't wait to dive into this game!

It will be awesome to be a part of ironing bugs and really honing gameplay.

I think it's a bold move by any developer to do this, but I think it will pay off and be worth the hassle/risk associated with launching premature builds to a large community.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1748268:date=Jan 20 2010, 06:19 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jan 20 2010, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Games get pushed back all the time, even when people have pre-ordered it already. Welcome to the world of Gaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm actually not sure this is true. Generally games are made available for pre-order by <i>distributors</i> at the point that they have a ship date from the publisher. The selling point of this is that gamers who pre-order are ensured a copy of the game if it ends up selling more copies than the distributor physically possesses on the shelves. Publishers don't generally tell distributers when they will be receiving the game until the game is <i>finished </i>and in the process of being manufactured (distributor: "I want x copies"... publisher "they'll arrive on x date"), so delays at this point would be incredibly rare and caused by manufacturing defects and the like. I don't know for a fact that this <i>never</i> happens, but saying it happens "all the time" seems highly unlikely.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i don't know how many beta's you've been privy too, but if you think this forum is full of QQ now? this place will degenerate into a nerd-rage paradise.
    <!--quoteo(post=1748273:date=Jan 20 2010, 10:32 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 20 2010, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm actually not sure this is true. Generally games are made available for pre-order by <i>distributors</i> at the point that they have a ship date from the publisher. The selling point of this is that gamers who pre-order are ensured a copy of the game if it ends up selling more copies than the distributor physically possesses on the shelves. Publishers don't generally tell distributers when they will be receiving the game until the game is <i>finished </i>and in the process of being manufactured (distributor: "I want x copies"... publisher "they'll arrive on x date"), so delays at this point would be incredibly rare and caused by manufacturing defects and the like. I don't know for a fact that this <i>never</i> happens, but saying it happens "all the time" seems highly unlikely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i remember when activision did that with MW2 to boost console sales - they sold original pre-orders with a certain release date - then ended up delaying them fairly last minute to a few days later and that caused a ######storm.
  • PatoPato Join Date: 2010-01-19 Member: 70225Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748278:date=Jan 20 2010, 06:37 PM:name=ckreon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ckreon @ Jan 20 2010, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i remember when activision did that with MW2 to boost console sales - they sold original pre-orders with a certain release date - then ended up delaying them fairly last minute to a few days later and that caused a ######storm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it was that particular reason that caused all the mess... :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1748281:date=Jan 20 2010, 11:11 AM:name=Pato)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pato @ Jan 20 2010, 11:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748281"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it was that particular reason that caused all the mess... :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well, haha - there were several other rage-rated things yes. but this incident in its own right lit the steam forums on fire (and rightly so i think). if you sell something like that (especially at $60) to people, you release it when you said you would. you don't give another market first dibs. these people pre-ordered to be able to play the game AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, so it made sense that they'd be pissed to have been duped like that.

that's why i really don't pre-order though (except for NS2).
  • BreadManBreadMan Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10854Members, Retired Developer
    Sigh...

Too many posts here to address. Should probably just let this thread die, but oh well here goes:

<b>NS2 is not DNF.</b> Read Wired's 5 page article on why DNF failed. UWE is pretty much the complete polar opposite of 3D Realms.

Work on the tools (the original topic of this thread) makes up maybe 5-10% of what goes on at UWE every day <i>at most</i>. I know this because lately I've been spending several days a week there. As such you can probably blame me for "wasting" that 5-10% of their time, because most of the recent tool updates have happened because I pushed for them. My apologies.

Everyone at UWE works 10 hour days, usually more. Monday was a national holiday yet everyone worked a full day at the office. Trust me on this one - they are not dragging their feet. They want to see this game to completion just as much as anyone here. And yes, there's a lot done that hasn't been shown to the public, and for the most part it's <i>flipping awesome</i>. (I can't say more than that as I'm under NDA now.) So please stop complaining and have a little patience. If you can't handle that then email Charlie and ask for a refund. He'll do it, because Charlie is about as honest as they come. Read the 7th anniversary post if you don't believe me, it covers quite thoroughly what many people here are ###### about, aka the state of development.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/10ns_7th_anniversary_progress_and_first_ns2_screenshots" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...ns2_screenshots</a>
  • paperjackpaperjack Join Date: 2009-02-14 Member: 66410Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748289:date=Jan 20 2010, 09:33 PM:name=BreadMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BreadMan @ Jan 20 2010, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know this because lately I've been spending several days a week there. As such you can probably blame me for "wasting" that 5-10% of their time, because most of the recent tool updates have happened because I pushed for them. My apologies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what are you doing there in first place ?
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1748290:date=Jan 20 2010, 02:40 PM:name=paperjack)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paperjack @ Jan 20 2010, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what are you doing there in first place ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Baking bread. The team has to eat sometimes, you know!

Seriously though, if I've been following everything correctly, BreadMan was one of the few to get access to the pre-pre-alpha tools to give feedback. He's probably helping the team to figure out what new features the editor would benefit from. He has also been doing a few video tutorials about the editor.
  • LigerioLigerio Join Date: 2009-12-30 Member: 69825Members
    edited January 2010
    I think I have some bitter in me I need to kill.

I wish this topic to be deleted. It's gone too far.
    I believe we will get a good game soon.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Good to hear some sense out of you, Ligerio.
  • NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1748301:date=Jan 20 2010, 11:21 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jan 20 2010, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good to hear some sense out of you, Ligerio.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really..

What he have done is basically stated the obvious wich most of us keep to your selves but this dude wants to share his opinions and to be honest, stating the obvious is quite funny to read because then you get to see loads of stupid stuff people write to other people and yet they do not understand one fraction of what this thread is about.. that being said I think he have said many things that makes sense. So saying a comment like that is just happening in cyber, RL u'd get a punch.

Great point made Ligerio, I do agree with you. But as a small team as UWE I bet they are doing as best as they can and a handful of 4 people they got _alot_ of stuff to do, although as someone said some pages ago "lol" that keep having that 09 release date is a bad image, it is thats just fact. Although I like NS2 and there's loads of good games out there releasing soon that will keep me busy waiting for NS2 :)

They not delivering the game in 09 to me don't really matter, I got the editor and got quite excited about it so I've done some mapping and really that does gives alot of satisfaction when you get to light up the map, can't wait for a testrun of what u've made inside the editor :)

So keep making maps you mappers out there so we can play awesome maps when the game releases in somewhat playable form!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    As people don't realise how much goes in to a game and everyone is "I understand there is only 4 of them", I have to say, until you see how many people created UT3 at Epic you don't begin to understand. I just watched a couple of videos from the UT3 bonus content video in which they have at least three lead game designers, for example, who knows it could be more. I haven't bothered to count how many people are in this image, but this is how many people it approximately took to ship a game of equal AAA standard,

<a href="http://www.epicgames.com/images/company_photo09.jpg" target="_blank">Epic Team Photo from their site</a>

I'm blown away with by how many people they have.

I also looked up other companies, ID Software employ 105 staff, EA Games being the huge franchise they are employ approximately 7,000 staff, Blizzard entertainment have 4,600 approx employees and combined under Activision blizzard that again comes up to 7,000. Okay I've concentrated on the big names there rather than indie developers like UWE although that is the sort of companies that a less than 10 man team are coming up against.
  • NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thats quite alot!

*Note* See that guy on the left side with the white bandana behind everyone els.. hah kinda reminds of of the TV serie "Fringe" the observers xD
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1748306:date=Jan 20 2010, 11:47 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jan 20 2010, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also looked up other companies, ID Software employ 105 staff, EA Games being the huge franchise they are employ approximately 7,000 staff, Blizzard entertainment have 4,600 approx employees and combined under Activision blizzard that again comes up to 7,000.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FYI all of those studios are working on multiple games simultaneously, and those numbers include management and other misc staffers that aren't actually making games. I'd expect the average current-gen title has a development team of ~50 people.
This discussion has been closed.