Bodies

KillerFrogsKillerFrogs Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70078Members
<div class="IPBDescription">And other tone setting things</div>The reason I'm asking if this is possible is because you can only get so far with lighting and mapping features, but with things like bodies (killed by people, aliens, and themselves with various weaponry), bloodstains/smears, things that civilians would use to relax or enjoy themselves, stuff for living quarters, and other things that could be used by a smart mapper to tell those who are playing a story about what happened, when it happened, and why it happened when the aliens invaded the very same place they are fighting in....of course I could be getting too ahead of myself thinking that the editor will be ready for this stuff anytime soon and it could be too distracting to those in a middle of a big battle, but it's one of those things that would, in my opinion, make the game at least a little better.

Comments

• slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I believe it was decided that dead bodies would not be added.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    As an implemented feature I think not.

Tho I'm sure Max or Kurt will at some time add a decal feature to the editor for posters, blood stains etc. on walls. That can however allready be done with a simple geometry plane added just above the wall texture and a texture with alpha applied to it. But a full on decal system feature in which you could basically paint the decals on the geometry would be preferrable of course.

As for bodies and such perhaps it will be possible to have rag-dolls created on map initiation, but I doubt it'd look good or be of much use for the immersion. No I think if you want to have that sort of stuff in your maps you're simply going to have to create it in the form of static or slightly animated props.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited January 2010
    there much better ways to set the mood than dead bodies - for starters its a waste of CPU and GPU performance (each dead body is one less alien or marine before your frame rates start to stagger)

setting the mood is much more effective with:

-lighting (small flickering or flashing lights)
    -decals for bullet and bite marks, explosion burns etc
    -drawing damaged geometry (disfunctional doors, 1/8th open doors, empty elevator shafts, caved in walls, cables hanging from the cieling)

edit: i know this is probably obvious but aliens 2 - when the marines first explorer the base - there are no bodies, but there is a lot of damage done to the lights and hallways - the whole time you are expecting something to jump out :)
  • KillerFrogsKillerFrogs Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70078Members
    i get the point, bodies would just be completely unnecessary, but what about the stuff that would show what everyday life would've been before the aliens came along, as far as i know there's only tool props for that stuff and it could use a few more, are those gonna be added as well but at a later date?
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS1 is intended PG13, I don't know about any rating limits for NS2 and I hope they dropped that ######. I would even go with an A+ rating.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    edited January 2010
    I doubt Unknownworlds will have the time or energy to produce a lot of those particular props.

But once the community creation pipeline kicks into gear, I'm sure all manner of decorative and personable items like Pictureframes, posters, calenders etc. will be added to give that little personal touch to maps that include barracks, and personal quarters etc. I think that's what you mean. Giving areas that personal touch to indicate that something was there before the Kharaa infestation.

Then if they are up to specs and a significant supply of them are available easily installable props-packs will arise.
  • TeisuTeisu Join Date: 2010-01-20 Member: 70236Members
    I believe that a trail of blood and a missing body is scarier then finding a mutilated corpse. Since the Kharaa are known for eating/digesting marines it would not make alot of sense finding a nutritious corpse just laying there.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2010
    here and there a finger, a few teeth or whatever. even my mom's dogs and my grandmom's cats make a mess from time to time while they only get food two times a day (theyre basicly hungry all the time).
    Even an (unanimated) arm or leg sticking out of infestation would add to a freightening atmosphere.

C'mon people, the best part on AvP 2 LAN play was making your friends and siblings scream in the next room when you jumped out of a shadow and clawed off their face, wasnt it?
    oooh, the memories. *devious smile*
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I for one would like NS2 to be very gruesome and bloody with blood and guts painting a room after i spray a few hundred shells from my full auto backpack shotgun with alternating high-explosive and fragmentation rounds (all tracers). ###### the aliens.