So much focus on the tool and less about the game.

Comments

• ehshoehsho Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69264Members
    And you assume they DO have something to show, nice. I wanna see a fade dominate a skulk or a lerk tking an onos. Gamplay related things > editor updates. Willing to bet more gamers than mappers.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    Didn't read the thread but I agree it's stupid to still have fall 2009 in the trailer :)
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747836:date=Jan 18 2010, 04:32 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jan 18 2010, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering how much they have completed already, the weekly updates to the editor, and the fact that they don't show everything they've done to the public: I think you don't have a clue what you're talking about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

13 months to fix the website. That should be enough to prove my point, and I don't want to say more as I'm a fan of UWE's work on NS1.

<i>Clueless</i>.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Fresh from the I&S forum:

<!--quoteo(post=1747838:date=Jan 18 2010, 08:12 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 18 2010, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...] contrary to what people may think, only a small fraction of our programming resources is spent on the editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Settle down, be patient. Be glad you're not waiting for a Valve game.
  • JirodyneJirodyne Join Date: 2010-01-12 Member: 70095Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747824:date=Jan 18 2010, 09:06 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jan 18 2010, 09:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the love of god, learn to use paragraphs, they make text much easier to read.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh shut it, why should I go out of my way and make my post look clean for a bunch of whiners. I have read the posts after mine till now, and I have to see I agree with some of them. That being said, whine all you want, just do it over something important, like if you pre-ordered and didn't get the alpha code. Then whine. Not over because your impatient and need your daily news update to live.
  • LigerioLigerio Join Date: 2009-12-30 Member: 69825Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747856:date=Jan 18 2010, 07:58 PM:name=Jirodyne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jirodyne @ Jan 18 2010, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh shut it, why should I go out of my way and make my post look clean for a bunch of whiners. I have read the posts after mine till now, and I have to see I agree with some of them. That being said, whine all you want, just do it over something important, like if you pre-ordered and didn't get the alpha code. Then whine. Not over because your impatient and need your daily news update to live.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Oh shut it" ...

Read carefully -
    What game company that wanted to be taken <i>serious</i>, <u>have put a pre-order on their offical website</u> for
    a game that have <u>not even reached alpha</u>. There is <u>not even any real gameplay footage to show</u> either.

Name me one game, company, whatever..
    -
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747736:date=Jan 17 2010, 05:39 PM:name=Ligerio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ligerio @ Jan 17 2010, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if cmc5788 and anyone that say stuff like him read here:
    <u>Topic is about whole marketing of their Offical "Fall of 2009" trailer + pre-order concept (TURNING INTO A) pre-order a TBA release date game!</u>
    -- Because that is completly different ball game! --<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then why did you title the thread "So much focus on the tool and less about the game"? Because I can see how still having that trailer up with the old release date is a bit silly, but bringing up any discussion of their release and update of the editor is unrelated and absurd.
    <!--quoteo(post=1747883:date=Jan 18 2010, 10:35 PM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Jan 18 2010, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then why did you title the thread "So much focus on the tool and less about the game"? Because I can see how still having that trailer up with the old release date is a bit silly, but bringing up any discussion of their release and update of the editor is unrelated and absurd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1747878:date=Jan 18 2010, 10:15 PM:name=Ligerio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ligerio @ Jan 18 2010, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Oh shut it" ...

Read carefully -
    What game company that wanted to be taken <i>serious</i>, <u>have put a pre-order on their offical website</u> for
    a game that have <u>not even reached alpha</u>. There is <u>not even any real gameplay footage to show</u> either.

Name me one game, company, whatever..
    -<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747856:date=Jan 19 2010, 04:58 AM:name=Jirodyne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jirodyne @ Jan 19 2010, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh shut it, why should I go out of my way and make my post look clean for a bunch of whiners.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nobody read your post. Nobody reads text walls. You don't have to be a grammatical superstar but just press the enter button a few times please.

Anyway I'm still tipping a 'Fade Reveal' in early 2011 lulz
  • BonzaiBonzai Join Date: 2008-07-17 Member: 64654Members
    This thread should just be closed.

All the whining won't speed up the process anyways, and it might even hinder it. If the developers read this thread and get upset ,they might just offer us refunds and say goodbye to NS2 as a worst-case scenario. The ultimate reason for people whining is because they're too anxious about how badass NS2 will be, just go and play NS1 and keep your panties on.
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747904:date=Jan 19 2010, 12:30 AM:name=Bonzai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bonzai @ Jan 19 2010, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thread should just be closed.

All the whining won't speed up the process anyways, and it might even hinder it. If the developers read this thread and get upset ,they might just offer us refunds and say goodbye to NS2 as a worst-case scenario. The ultimate reason for people whining is because they're too anxious about how badass NS2 will be, just go and play NS1 and keep your panties on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some discussion is always good. If the game developers can't take some discussion that isn't about how beautiful they are. They can't be very serious about their goals.

I'm just saying... Pre-order? Not even reached alpha or phase where they can show a gameplay footage.
    Still - nobody can mention just one game, seriously that have put up pre-order on their offical site when they can't even show gameplay footage.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Reasons why it's stupid to complain about pre-orders being on the site:

1) You're not forced to buy the game.
    2) If you've bought the game and are not happy they offer refunds.
    3) Pre-orders at this point in development allow UWE to make NS2 a better game. Example, heavy/exo-armor was taken out but added back in due to the additional funding received.

Granted, you all have a legitimate concerns. Alpha is "soon" according to the recent blog post, however, we still know almost nothing about the alien side as a whole and know just little tidbits of the marine's side. Even though your concerns are valid, this doesn't warrant constant complaining and the creation of threads on this topic. You either realize that pre-orders allow UWE to develop NS2 to the best of their ability and it's done when it's done or you don't so you get a refund and do something better with your life than complaining on these forums.

You'll be back when NS2 releases.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747844:date=Jan 18 2010, 01:38 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jan 18 2010, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->13 months to fix the website. That should be enough to prove my point, and I don't want to say more as I'm a fan of UWE's work on NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah yes, because that has anything to do with the development of the game... Thank you for proving my point: you really don't know what you're talking about.
    I believe Comprox takes care of the portal/forum system for the most part, not the Devs.

<!--quoteo(post=1747856:date=Jan 18 2010, 02:58 PM:name=Jirodyne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jirodyne @ Jan 18 2010, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh shut it, why should I go out of my way and make my post look clean for a bunch of whiners. I have read the posts after mine till now, and I have to see I agree with some of them. That being said, whine all you want, just do it over something important, like if you pre-ordered and didn't get the alpha code. Then whine. Not over because your impatient and need your daily news update to live.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you want anyone to take you seriously or bother reading your posts, use paragraphs. It's really that simple. If you don't care about no one reading your posts, then by all means continue as before.

Anyway, I hope the OP and anyone else upset on this topic has picked up on this by now:
    The reason we get so much more updates on the Editor than the Game itself is because Max has to fix/improve things in the Editor for Development purposes anyway. So at the same time, we get those updates as well sense we're using basically the same tools. So no, they aren't focusing anymore on the Editor then they ever have, because they have been working on it all along, we just get to see all the changes play-by-play now that we have it as well.

/thread
  • YokaiYokai Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62153Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747836:date=Jan 18 2010, 09:32 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jan 18 2010, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering how much they have completed already, the weekly updates to the editor, and the fact that they don't show everything they've done to the public: I think you don't have a clue what you're talking about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly, they update the editor more than valve, and if they update the game as frequently I will be super happy. =)

Of course everyone thinks the editor has a lot of focus, but the fact is that since both work on the same engine, changes to the engine / editor both works on the games engine itself and also gives mappers better tools to have more maps released on the get go. I really think people only think that the editor is getting priority only because that's the only thing they see being updated. (which is for obvious reasons.) Be glad that they even released the editor people!
  • nikomonikomo Join Date: 2010-01-13 Member: 70129Members
    I do have to say, the pre-order pack confused me a bit.
    The law over here says that if you're promoting a package with 2 products and promise "instant alpha access" for "pre-orderers", it's supposed to mean you get the alpha for both products, otherwise it has to explicitly note that only the other product (Overgrowth) will have the "instant alpha access", so now it's essentially counting as false advertising :/
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    at this point NS2 and overgrowth have only the editor out, which is the alpha for both if you want to call it like that.
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    My opinion is that UWE did "a Blizzard" and announced their game too early. Though in my opinion that doesn't matter much, as long as they release the game when it's <u>finished</u>, and not before. Some people should learn to be a bit more patient, it's usually worth the wait.
  • paperjackpaperjack Join Date: 2009-02-14 Member: 66410Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747936:date=Jan 19 2010, 07:53 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jan 19 2010, 07:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->at this point NS2 and overgrowth have only the editor out, which is the alpha for both if you want to call it like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Overgrowth is playable. <u>Alpha</u> 59 has a enemy rabbit bot you can try to fight on, for example. Though, I had some shader errors and I had to contact the developers and explain my issues; but that's what an alpha is for.

<!--quoteo(post=1747938:date=Jan 19 2010, 09:38 AM:name=Dauntl3ss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dauntl3ss @ Jan 19 2010, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My opinion is that UWE did "a Blizzard" and announced their game too early. Though in my opinion that doesn't matter much, as long as they release the game when it's <u>finished</u>, and not before. Some people should learn to be a bit more patient, it's usually worth the wait.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not urging them to release the game, I'm urging them to release the alpha. The alpha could be just a very crude marine-view way to explore your maps or something even simpler. That is what an alpha is.
    I can wait for the game, but I can NOT wait for the alpha.

I think they should release the latest compiled version of the game - even if it's buggy, prone to crashing, etc; it doesn't have to be polished or full-fledged to be an alpha, because that's not the point.

When they didn't release the alpha, I got angry because it looks like they haven't been working on the game <i>at all</i>. That's why I'm "whining".

In short, <b>RELEASE THE LATEST COMPILED VERSION OF THE GAME AND CALL IT AN ALPHA</b> GOD DOMMOT
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    NS2 has a fairly large profile, especially for an indie title. Releasing a really raw version of the game to the public might not be in their best interests. Word of mouth from noobs could cause them some trouble.

Anyway they said they will release the alpha "soon". Intentionally using a vague term for obvious reasons :)
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    ya lets wait till they have something good, and not keep asking for a buggy unoptimized ###### that hardly anyone can even run.

Also i bet there just getting a ton of stuff ready and release a lot of Media at once to keep us busy until its done.
  • MidoMido Join Date: 2004-04-05 Member: 27742Members
    I can understand being upset about the release date, that's fine, be upset that they didn't have any kind of significant release to correlate with their promises.

But don't begin demanding the developers to change the way they are doing things.

They are doing an awesome job so far and I encourage them to keep doing whatever they need to, as long as I get some kind of product some day.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    remember its max/flayra/comprox i think/ and that 1 other guy. thats 4 people making this game. And look at how much they have done.
  • chopperchopper Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67537Members
    I was going to add my thoughts about the delay but I realized I lost interest in this game lately. I'm waiting a couple more months for something to surface and then if things don't look close to release maybe cancel my two SE pre-orders and buy later after release. I still want to support the company if they come out with a good product. I think they're good guys, but I'm not their buddy, I'm their client.

And on a side note I don't support the idea of hatching a product endlessly because it becomes better. For me it doesn't make sense and I bet there are many counter examples (in the gaming industry) to that line of thought.

Anyway, I guess I just wrote to say I'm slightly disappointed by their progress and their promises, but I wish them best of luck nonetheless.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747710:date=Jan 17 2010, 03:57 PM:name=Paranoyak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paranoyak @ Jan 17 2010, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i completely agree with you..

Atleast give a date or some tweets about non-tools work that is done.

i have already pre-order, cuz i love NS and wants to help the team, but remember we are not all mappers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Atleast a rough idea of when it will come out would be nice.

I wouldn't mind even seeing just a 2010.

So I know it will come out this year.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    The reason they haven't said 2010 is they don't know if its going to be ready in 2010. So the safest bet is probably LATE 2010, if not early 2011.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    They shouldn't say anything, as it will obviously come back to bite them in the ass if they turn out to be wrong later down the line. Proof being that people are still going on about the "2009" release date like it was set in stone.

It's a small team. Pretty much a mod team with a budget. The less you hear about the game, the more time and effort they are probably putting into it. (As opposed to shooting videos and doing PR).

I'll agree that there needs to be a balance of both, but right now they are concentrating on making the game and tools function better. Just have patience, or get a refund if you're really that anal about it.
    Wiseman said once:

"<i>It is important to remember though that we don’t always agree with you, and even when we do, that doesn’t mean we are ready to discuss our future plans. Even saying that we plan to make changes in the future can be an issue as players will get impatient if it takes awhile [i]so we have to be careful with what we say.</i>[/i]"

Pre-Order on Offical website without real gameplay footage or release date or any alpha, beta.

Of course you get impatient people, deal with it.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1747725:date=Jan 17 2010, 10:44 PM:name=Ligerio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ligerio @ Jan 17 2010, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have not pre-ordered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then stop whining and causing negativity around here please.

Everyone wants the game to be finished, of course they do. However you will not get anyway in behaving the way you are, you will only make yourself unpopular.
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1748036:date=Jan 19 2010, 09:19 PM:name=Ligerio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ligerio @ Jan 19 2010, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of course you get impatient people, deal with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We <i>are</i> dealing with it. By telling you to shut up.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1748052:date=Jan 19 2010, 06:01 PM:name=Tesseract)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract @ Jan 19 2010, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We <i>are</i> dealing with it. By telling you to shut up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If anyone has noticed, there seems to be more and more people being impatient about the release of NS2 these days. Rather than having the odd person get annoying and having to have the rest of us to tell them to shut up, there seems to be an even number of people who are joining their cause. Why is this happening? As I said in a previous thread and touched briefly earlier in this one...

By simply updating the main page only about Spark, and not releasing any news on anything else, its obvious that many people are going to assume that there isnt any work being done on the game because even though spark is the same engine and anything that improves that imrpoves the game, its generally seen as a totaly different entity to NS2. From the outside, it doesnt look like theres been any attempt to finish structures, weapons, abilities and balancing of the sides. The 'Fall 2009' trailer still up makes it look even worse.

All anyone gets is develepers and admins of the forums saying "We are workng hard on NS2, not just the spark, we will show you something soon". Which is fine, but why not say that on the main page, add a screenshot or two (that cant take too much time) and then after that if anyone pipes up, they will get told to get stuffed by a majority of the NS public.
This discussion has been closed.