Special Edition - Support Philosophy

Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
edited January 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">The different shades of "support"</div><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->The Dilemma<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Support for a game means not only in finance, but also community - bolstering the playerbase and raising awareness. For those of you who have bought the $40 Special Edition, I'd like you (and all of us) to consider for a moment why this could have been handled better:
By price alone, every SE inherently covers the cost of <b>two</b> copies of a regular edition. Assuming UWE receives your $40 financial support regardless of whether you order the SE or two regular copies, would it then not be more supportive to the NS2 community to use the extra $20 to buy a copy for a friend (or anyone) who would not have otherwise purchased it?

Is UWE really serving their own best interests by offering an SE? For every $40 spent on a <b>single</b> SE, the potential playerbase is effectively <b>halved</b>. For <b>true</b> supporters (more interested in support than perks), the better solution would be to offer just a single $20 package including everything; supporters could then show their support by buying extra copies and introducing new players to the game who would have otherwise not been (naturally, giving copies to friends who were intending to buy is not supportive). This not only means UWE receives financial support and a boost to the community, but also means sales are further increased since there is now only the single (regular) package which includes everything.

So why won't this work, or can it? It can - on the condition that UWE has <b>true</b> supporters. What I mean by this is people who support without needing (or wanting) to be specifically compensated. Do they have such supporters? Perhaps Constellation is somewhat of an indication, and SE orders somewhat less. So why hasn't UWE implemented this model? (see <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->edit<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> below)

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Shades of Support<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
In other topics, we clearly see how many so-called supporters purchase the SE for "alpha access". Whether that is merely a side-affect of their support or the reason for it cannot be objectively determined (though I grant in many cases it may be the former). So it raises an interesting dilemma: do you offer unique perks to entice perk-driven "supporters"? Or do you instead go with a "perkless" model (as above) and trust supporters to show true support through buying extra copies?

Though I would like to believe the latter is possible and challenge UWE to adopt that model if they have faith in their supporters, I also know we haven't arrived at the current model by accident. Consider this the next time you see the term "support".

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->edit:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> tl;dr
the "proposed" model is this:
Instead of wasting $20 of support on perks like "alpha access" which only benefit the individual, UWE can offer a single $20 package which includes everything, allowing supporters to use the $20 that would have gone to SE to instead introduce a new player to the game, thus benefiting the entire NS2 community through exposure and growth.
The corollary is that this only works if supporters are more interested in benefiting NS2 rather than specific personal gains.

note: The original idea of the topic was Personal Pricing - or "pay as much as you want" (starting at a base price of course). Which was an interesting addition to the above discussion, but was cut for length.

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited January 2010
    Developers need money, if you want there's nothing to stop you buying two copies rather than one, but not everybody has a friend who would play this, I don't think any of my friends would, plus some people aren't altruistic and would rather buy something for themselves.

At the end of the day the point of trading money for goods is to make a profit, or in the case of UWE, make a profit and actually stay in business, NS2 is their studio launch project, if it fails they're out of work. Obviously they're going to try as hard as possible to make money, make the game a success, and build a reputation for being a quality studio so they can make more money and start buying gold plated render farms, five copies of max 2010, lifetime subscriptions to visual studio, and anything else obscenely rich game developers spend their money on apart from crack and <strike>######s</strike> ladies of negotiable affection.

Personally I'll probably buy a normal edition because I'm interested in the game but don't really want any black armor or whatnot, I hope UWE do well and make plenty more good games and if they do I'll probably buy those too, but I'm not going to give handouts in the hope that it happens.

It's also possible nobody really thought of this beforehand, I didn't until you pointed it out.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I would say I didn't just buy 2 copies of the standard edition to give to a friend because I didn't think about it. I'll have to admit, I'm a bit selfish so I didn't think about giving it to a friend. What I want to do with my money, the joy goes to me. I paid the extra price so I could get that extra bit of alpha access. Supporting the developers just happened to be there. But I seriously do think they deserve it so I have no qualms of my money going to them.

Though the main thing is, I didn't think about it. If UWE had priced like a super uber edition, at $500, and I pre-ordered that one for whatever reason, ie actually get a say in what goes into the game or not, and UWE cancelled the pre-order, then I would have a lot of extra disposable income. Only then, would I think about what to do with that extra disposable income. But because thats not the situation now, the thought never occurs.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    A friend that would not buy it themselves would probably also not be interested in actually playing the game as a gift...

Too much if going on there :P
  • WreckusWreckus Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67546Members
    Selling a special edition with perks for slightly more than the regular edition is a proven business model for games. If they got rid of it people would not buy 2 copies at $20 (who does this?) they'd take their $20 and buy something else with it.

A better idea to drive up sales would be to include a buddy pass with every copy of the game which would allow a person to play for 10 days or so.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I guess the 40$ edition has a bit of a message in it. NS is not just a game of which sequel I'd buy, it's a game that has affected my whole view of gaming in more than few ways. The special edition purchase probably also signals that I'm more than willing to pay even double the price as long as the game remains the same quality.
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746915:date=Jan 12 2010, 10:14 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 12 2010, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->plus some people aren't altruistic and would rather buy something for themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This.

If I really wanted to get a friend a copy I'd get extra copies. I bought the SE because of the time I spent following the development of NS all these years - something my friends have not done and are not interested in doing.

You don't buy someone a present they wouldn't enjoy, the bargain bin has already taken care of that department.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1746915:date=Jan 12 2010, 04:14 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 12 2010, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Developers need money, if you want there's nothing to stop you buying two copies rather than one, but not everybody has a friend who would play this, I don't think any of my friends would, plus some people aren't altruistic and would rather buy something for themselves.

At the end of the day the point of trading money for goods is to make a profit
    Personally I'll probably buy a normal edition because I'm interested in the game but don't really want any black armor or whatnot, I hope UWE do well and make plenty more good games and if they do I'll probably buy those too, but I'm not going to give handouts in the hope that it happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem is UWE hasn't allowed supporters the option of buying two copies. Currently you must choose between introducing a friend or getting alpha access. The suggested model allows you to do both, thus maximizing support for UWE and the community. In this case, UWE doesn't lose any profit but in fact gains more through increased sales.

<!--quoteo(post=1746955:date=Jan 12 2010, 10:34 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jan 12 2010, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would say I didn't just buy 2 copies of the standard edition to give to a friend because I didn't think about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And because you would lose alpha access. In this way UWE is actually discouraging support by introducing a penalty. The idea is to include alpha for all and rename the Special Edition to "Supporter Edition" - instead of alpha access, simply bundle two copies of the game for $40 and instruct supporters to use it to increase awareness. This could mean giving it to a friend (I personally know of two who would play but not buy) or even more creative things like holding contests or raffles.

<!--quoteo(post=1746963:date=Jan 12 2010, 11:12 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 12 2010, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A friend that would not buy it themselves would probably also not be interested in actually playing the game as a gift...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's true, but what's the worse case scenario? You have an extra copy of the game rather than some silly useless perk. In this way it is better than the current model.

<!--quoteo(post=1746977:date=Jan 12 2010, 01:14 PM:name=Wreckus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wreckus @ Jan 12 2010, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746977"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Selling a special edition with perks for slightly more than the regular edition is a proven business model for games. If they got rid of it people would not buy 2 copies at $20 (who does this?) they'd take their $20 and buy something else with it.
    A better idea to drive up sales would be to include a buddy pass with every copy of the game which would allow a person to play for 10 days or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bingo. that's what I'm getting at - the current model works because a significant percentage of supporters aren't supporters at all, they're simply in it for the perks. The secondary goal of this topic was to clear up this misconception, that SE owner = "supporter". You are right, some aren't interested in true support, they just want to purchase exclusive perks. Essentially UWE have stunted the true (selfless) supporters in order to accommodate those who only show "support" when they are promised preferential treatment.

<!--quoteo(post=1746986:date=Jan 12 2010, 02:26 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jan 12 2010, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess the 40$ edition has a bit of a message in it. NS is not just a game of which sequel I'd buy, it's a game that has affected my whole view of gaming in more than few ways. The special edition purchase probably also signals that I'm more than willing to pay even double the price as long as the game remains the same quality.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not the point. You can still pay your $40+ dollars, but instead of wasting it on a single copy, the proposed model allows you to also benefit the community by introducing new players.

The only counter-arguments I see are:
    a) it is not possible to be entirely certain if the copy you give away would have been eventually purchased by the recipient (although in many cases it is close to 99%), in which case UWE incurs a loss.
    b) if a single extra copy benefits the community, why stop there? why not give supporters an unlimited number of copies to help introduce others who would not have bought NS2 otherwise? In which case it is a toss-up between a slippery slope and in determining who to give the copies to (i.e. the problem in (a) must be considered).

Ultimately, as in the title, this is less of a suggestion thread and more of a discussion as to what we are so easily inclined to label "support", even if the motives are anything but.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Hey, support is nice and good and all but at the end of the day, it doesn't pay for the meals on the table. UWE's a business and they need money. Can you really fault them for wanting to make more money?

You do have a point that basing it entirely on support would result in loss in sales and some people wouldn't really 'support' UWE. frankly speaking, if UWE uses your business model, I would not buy the 'support' edition. But that's because not that I don't support UWE. It cos I think the extra copy would be wasted. I don't have anyone to give it to. And I don't see the point in owning 2 copies when I only need one.

However(this might seem like a contradiction but the human mind works in strange ways), I would buy the 'special edition', if the only thing it said it was selling was 'UWE's eternal gratitude'. No perks, no alpha, no tools, and no black armour. I would still go for the special edition.

Why? Why would I make such an irrational decision?

The obvious answer is that I see what's visible to me, and don't think of what isn't there. Comparing 'normal' edition and 'support' edition, I would feel that the extra copy of the game would be wasted. This is even if the 'support' did have the 'eternal gratitude line'. But comparing 'normal and 'special without benefits', I would still go for the 'special without benefits' because I don't see any wastage.

But if you put 'support' and 'special without benefits' side by side, and totally eliminate the 'normal'(hypothetical situation to prove a point), I would choose 'support'. The reasoning is obvious, because I get 2 for the price of 1 and since there is no 'normal', its the only way I can get the game.

My point is that because of comparison, people would choose the special edition. The way to make the support model work, is to create an even larger and more insane and expensive package, and place it next to the support edition. The support edition would seem much more viable then.
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747071:date=Jan 12 2010, 11:44 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jan 12 2010, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You do have a point that basing it entirely on support would result in loss in sales and some people wouldn't really 'support' UWE. frankly speaking, if UWE uses your business model, I would not buy the 'support' edition. But that's because not that I don't support UWE. It cos I think the extra copy would be wasted. I don't have anyone to give it to. And I don't see the point in owning 2 copies when I only need one.
    However(this might seem like a contradiction but the human mind works in strange ways), I would buy the 'special edition', if the only thing it said it was selling was 'UWE's eternal gratitude'. No perks, no alpha, no tools, and no black armour. I would still go for the special edition.
    Why? Why would I make such an irrational decision?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The point of owning two copies isn't for owning two copies, it's for giving $20 to UWE for support. What you do with the second is irrelevant (though using it to promote awareness is good). The point about needing something tangible is true, which is the reason for the "Supporters Edition":

<!--sizeo:130--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Supporterrs Edition<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    * 2x Natural Selection 2 (introduce a friend!)
    * Our Eternal Gratitude

So now supporters have a physical "support" package they can buy, and instead of having to worry about petty perks, they can instead focus their $20 on supporting UWE and the community.

But you;re right, unlike <i>true</i> supporters, most others want to receive something for what they give. The Special Edition is a compromise that exploits this mentality - it allows people to give something and receive a small token in return while still allowing them to feel good about supporting.

This is morally unsound, it's having your cake and eating it too. That's the point of this thread, to explore this indiscretion and re-examine how we apply the term "support". If we refer to the reward-seeking, perk-driven SE owners as "supporters", it lessens the word for the true supporters who expect no reward in return.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747082:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:13 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 13 2010, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The point of owning two copies isn't for owning two copies, it's for giving $20 to UWE for support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You seem to be a little inconsistent. The entire point of this thread was to point out how the SE was inefficient, and to put forth a <b>new proposal with the intent to increase the size of the potential playerbase.</b>

<!--quoteo(post=1747082:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:13 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 13 2010, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But you;re right, unlike <i>true</i> supporters, most others want to receive something for what they give.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your little snark there is quite irritating.

Let's face it: We are all quite selfish to play this game.

Why did/do we play Natural Selection? <b>Because it is fun.</b>

Why are we supporting this game? <b>Because the last game was fun.</b>

Why would we want more people to play this game? <b>Because playing with more people makes the experience more fun.</b>

You and I both played Natural Selection, and will play Natural Selection 2 as well for undoubtedly selfish reasons. Attempting to gain any moral ground through your foolish ploy is like PETA justifying their bombing of an animal lab.
    <!--quoteo(post=1747093:date=Jan 13 2010, 03:22 AM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Jan 13 2010, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You seem to be a little inconsistent. The entire point of this thread was to point out how the SE was inefficient, and to put forth a <b>new proposal with the intent to increase the size of the potential playerbase.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Which is <b>as I said</b> supporting UWE. As clearly explained in the directly following sentence, had you not so conveniently left out.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your little snark there is quite irritating.
    Let's face it: We are all quite selfish to play this game.
    Why did/do we play Natural Selection? <b>Because it is fun.</b>
    Why are we supporting this game? <b>Because the last game was fun.</b>
    Why would we want more people to play this game? <b>Because playing with more people makes the experience more fun.</b>
    You and I both played Natural Selection, and will play Natural Selection 2 as well for undoubtedly selfish reasons. Attempting to gain any moral ground through your foolish ploy is like PETA justifying their bombing of an animal lab.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    By that logic, even the UN is selfish because <b>they want world peace</b>. Your entire post is fraught with Red-herrings, including the analogy. Consider the apt one:
    You are a team supporter who buys rink-side tickets to cheer on and support your team; a recent promotional ticket means you get ice-time with the team afterwards, but you would have rather spent the extra money on a ticket to bring along another supporter. You call attention to this, but also realize that if it weren't for the recent ice-time "perk", the swarms of new "supporters" probably wouldn't find enough interest in to support the team. So naturally, when having a coffee with other supporters, you bring attention to this fact and find it somewhat irritating when someone lumps you in with those only interested in the ice-time.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited January 2010
    Not everyone on the Internet has friends, let alone friends interested in playing a particular game. Not everyone is a full-on philanthropist either. If you only wish to draw the line between selfless and selfish supporters, you're caught up in moral sanctimony without regard for either consumers or UW.

With that said, offering a "friend pack" would indeed benefit both UW and the community in the long run, it's a great idea.

My rough estimate for best spread/profit for this scheme would be to offer a 50 pack which would include two or more games plus SE features for one or all copies. That way the customer doesn't have to partake in a moral dilemma of choosing between helping his friend and helping himself and UW get additional profit from people who would otherwise purchase either SE or two seperate copies ($10 margin), with the consumer going for this version getting overall better value as well ($10-30 margin).

Marketing isn't that simple though: any speculation is useless without statistical studies. I don't think UW can afford those at all...
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I think all the "introducing friends" concept might simply be done more effectively by free weekends or guest passes once the game goes gold. With free weekends, people don't even need to have friends, so that's all the better.

I see two problems if UWE would have been giving out a 40$ pack with 2 Cd-Keys from the beginning:

1- I have three other friends interested in NS2, interested enough to help with the Alpha etc. We could have just bought two copies (80$) and get four keys instead of 160$ and get the same content. Then UWE would have only gotten half the money.

2- Giving someone access to an unpolished game can be dangerous and bring bad publicity if people start to go "omg this suxx" because of the bugs and whatnot even if you tell them the game isn't completed yet. So giving an extra key to someone and say "Hey, try this out my friend" is somewhat of a double edged sword, no?

So free weekend/limited time guest passes; do we need anything more? I don't think UWE needs to reinvent the wheel here. "Contests and giveaways" were also mentioned here, well people are doing this with the Overgrowth/NS2 pack and my guess is that with the game closing in on release, we might just see more NS2 keys giveaways here and there.

Is it that bad to want something extra when buying the special edition? I don't care about the black armor, but yes I wanted early access to the tools and to the game. Does that make me a "less <i>true</i>" supporter? I'm giving of my time trying out the different builds of Spark, reporting bugs, testing it on different hardware, helping other people out, learning to work with UWE's tools, and once the alpha comes out I'll be some extra cannon fodder to test the new weapons on. The same goes for many (if not most) of the people here I'm sure. Oh, there will be some occasional kid who only want their black armor and complain about everything, but this is the internet; to expect anything different would be foolish in my opinion.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747094:date=Jan 13 2010, 04:00 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 13 2010, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is <b>as I said</b> supporting UWE. As clearly explained in the directly following sentence, had you not so conveniently left out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is more than one way to support UWE. If I wanted to get two copies, I would just buy two copies.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By that logic, even the UN is selfish because <b>they want world peace</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great subject analogy! I had no clue the United Nations could come up in a topic like this, BRAVO.

The UN is pretty damn selfish, actually. You'd think the world peace thing would sober some of those other nations up, but really many nations on the security council just use the power to further their own agenda.

Now, find me 5 examples of people who bought NS2 <b>JUST BECAUSE THEY WANTED THE BLACK ARMOR AND THE ALPHA ACCESS</b>, and not because they wanted to play a game they enjoyed previously in the past.

Wanting the perks requires that the buyer at least enjoy the base content provided.
  • ChyronnChyronn Join Date: 2005-03-10 Member: 44636Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747082:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:13 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 13 2010, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's having your cake and eating it too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what's the point of having your cake and NOT eating it? that saying is kind of pointless when you think about it.
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747023:date=Jan 12 2010, 11:37 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 12 2010, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is UWE hasn't allowed supporters the option of buying two copies. Currently you must choose between introducing a friend or getting alpha access. The suggested model allows you to do both, thus maximizing support for UWE and the community. In this case, UWE doesn't lose any profit but in fact gains more through increased sales.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why can't you buy two copies? I find it hard to believe you physically cannot buy more than one copy, hell if you just email them I'm sure you could work something out if the payment system doesn't currently allow it, no sane company will ever say 'no you can't give us money'.

If you really want to support the company you can buy half a dozen copies for people as well as a special edition for yourself, it's just that most people don't agonise over the moral implications of their purchase very much and also spending like $140 is silly.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747220:date=Jan 13 2010, 07:31 PM:name=Chyronn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chyronn @ Jan 13 2010, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what's the point of having your cake and NOT eating it? that saying is kind of pointless when you think about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you're not supposed to take that saying in chronological order...it's not "having your cake, then eating it", more like "you can eat your cake and still have it as if you hadn't actually eaten it"
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    im pretty sure there already is the x2 cd for ns2 deal. Its called buy it twice.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not everyone on the Internet has friends, let alone friends interested in playing a particular game. Not everyone is a full-on philanthropist either. If you only wish to draw the line between selfless and selfish supporters, you're caught up in moral sanctimony without regard for either consumers or UW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yet many do, enough to make the proposed model worthwhile. I wish to present this idea, and discuss reasons as to why it may or may not work; one of which happens to be the motives behind and varying shades of "support".

<!--quoteo(post=1747143:date=Jan 13 2010, 10:20 AM:name=)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ( @ Jan 13 2010, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1- I have three other friends interested in NS2, interested enough to help with the Alpha etc. We could have just bought two copies (80$) and get four keys instead of 160$ and get the same content. Then UWE would have only gotten half the money.
    2- Giving someone access to an unpolished game can be dangerous and bring bad publicity if people start to go "omg this suxx" because of the bugs and whatnot even if you tell them the game isn't completed yet. So giving an extra key to someone and say "Hey, try this out my friend" is somewhat of a double edged sword, no?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1- I mention this in OP: it's only support if you choose a recipient who would otherwise not have bought (also see counter-arguments).
    2- Yes, but as the supporter you can choose to give your copies out at any point; preferably one that makes NS2 look good.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it that bad to want something extra when buying the special edition? I don't care about the black armor, but yes I wanted early access to the tools and to the game. Does that make me a "less <i>true</i>" supporter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not bad... just sad that we could have a better support model, one that gives back to the community, if it weren't for so many "supporters" wanting perks.

<!--quoteo(post=1747154:date=Jan 13 2010, 11:02 AM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Jan 13 2010, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is more than one way to support UWE. If I wanted to get two copies, I would just buy two copies.
    Great subject analogy! I had no clue the United Nations could come up in a topic like this, BRAVO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not with $40, it means you choose between alpha, or introducing a friend; as I've explained numerous times.
    Thanks, I needed something absurd to match your PETA analogy.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now, find me 5 examples of people who bought NS2 <b>JUST BECAUSE THEY WANTED THE BLACK ARMOR AND THE ALPHA ACCESS</b>, and not because they wanted to play a game they enjoyed previously in the past.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=108431" target="_blank">1, 2, 3, 4, 5...</a>
    Granted, these are out of context (the same people may claim they just want to play). Again, if there were not a significant percentage of supporters wanting "perks", then UWE can do better by adopting the suggested model (since perks only benefit those who want them).

<!--quoteo(post=1747221:date=Jan 13 2010, 06:49 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 13 2010, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why can't you buy two copies? I find it hard to believe you physically cannot buy more than one copy,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1747234:date=Jan 13 2010, 10:28 PM:name=Hoodedsniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoodedsniper @ Jan 13 2010, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im pretty sure there already is the x2 cd for ns2 deal. Its called buy it twice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why can't you buy 5 or 6? Read the topic title. This is about how best to maximize the support package, not how best to get two copies.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    I bought the special edition for the alpha and black armour. I rationalised it to myself by saying NS was free and I probably played it for 3000 hours or something dumb.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    They already made the best way to maximize the support package. You pay 40$ for alpha tools and gameplay, supporting them obviously, and black armor. I dont see why people complain about the support package or whats included. Seriously if you want just x2 cd keys you can buy the normal package twice and give one to a friend yourself.
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747264:date=Jan 14 2010, 11:20 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 14 2010, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why can't you buy 5 or 6? Read the topic title. This is about how best to maximize the support package, not how best to get two copies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I said, you <i>can</i> buy five or six, <i>and</i> a special edition if you want the black armor too, I don't see why the option to buy a special edition prevents any other form of support or why this is being treated as some sort of huge moral dilemma. It's a game, you give money and get something in return, I very much doubt many people thought much beyond 'I want the extra stuff/want to pay for the NS1 hours I spent so I'll buy the expensive one'.
    <!--quoteo(post=1747269:date=Jan 14 2010, 06:42 AM:name=Hoodedsniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoodedsniper @ Jan 14 2010, 06:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They already made the best way to maximize the support package. You pay 40$ for alpha tools and gameplay, supporting them obviously, and black armor. I dont see why people complain about the support package or whats included. Seriously if you want just x2 cd keys you can buy the normal package twice and give one to a friend yourself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1747276:date=Jan 14 2010, 07:18 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 14 2010, 07:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I said, you <i>can</i> buy five or six, <i>and</i> a special edition if you want the black armor too, I don't see why the option to buy a special edition prevents any other form of support or why this is being treated as some sort of huge moral dilemma.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Re-read OP. If you really can't be bothered, read the tl;dr part, but please don't post uninformed.
    It's not being treated as anything more than it is: a missed opportunity to show increased support.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1747264:date=Jan 14 2010, 06:20 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 14 2010, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1- I mention this in OP: it's only support if you choose a recipient who would otherwise not have bought (also see counter-arguments).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It seems I missed a point in my post. I wanted to mention that I don't have any friends interested in such a game other than the three friends I mentioned, sorry for making that sound redundant. So, I mean all my potentially interested friends already bought it. If I ended up with an extra key, then sure I guess I could find someone interested on these forums or somewhere, but most people wouldn't bother IMO.

I think the current model is fine as it is because it keeps things simple. UWE gets some extra money and extra hands to test the game/tools and create content. As for bringing more people to the game, I'm sure we will see more promotion as we get closer to the release. The Overgrowth pack was but the first step and it allowed them to sell more than 1000 new copies of NS2 with no alpha released yet. I'm confident the team has more tricks up their sleeves. Actually, I think there's less chances of "wasting" CD-keys if UWE handles the promotion instead of us giving keys here and there.

Let's focus on helping them make their product better. Once this is done, it's likely to appeal to even more players.
    <!--quoteo(post=1747296:date=Jan 14 2010, 10:41 AM:name=Corporal_Fortier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corporal_Fortier @ Jan 14 2010, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems I missed a point in my post. I wanted to mention that I don't have any friends interested in such a game other than the three friends I mentioned, sorry for making that sound redundant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Consider the current and proposed model, each $40 of support gets you:
    A) alpha access + NS2
    B) alpha access + NS2 + introduce a new player

So you say you have no one to introduce? UWE still gets their $40 of support in either case and the worst case for you is that you have an extra copy sitting around. Can you see how (B) benefits both UWE and supporter better than (A)? No doubt (A) works, but it works by sacrificing (B), and so naturally the motives behind why it works are, well... unsavoury, and open for discussion in this thread.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Your model is proposing that they hand out a heck of a lot of extra keys, which is especially crazy considering how far they are in the development process. If I was going to give extra copies of NS2 to my friends, my first choices would be the ones that would appreciate it most, i.e. the ones most likely to buy copies themselves. This will a) translate into lost sales for UWE, and b) display the game to a lot of people who aren't interested in an unfinished game, or won't understand that things will change, and decide it's a bad game prematurely.

I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but a system where they hand out additional game keys would work well in a game that NEEDS a huge playerbase to be fun for the paying customers (MMOs in particular), but not so well in other types of games. MMOs can also afford to allow limited free play because the paying customers keep paying per-month for the experience, so they get their money anyway.

<!--quoteo(post=1747306:date=Jan 14 2010, 01:07 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 14 2010, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Consider the current and proposed model, each $40 of support gets you:
    A) alpha access + NS2
    B) alpha access + NS2 + introduce a new player<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry, but I see this proposed model as only a way to get something for free out of the SE bundle, something that UWE is not willing to give at this time. If you want SE + a second key it costs $60, not $40. Of course they could offer a similar deal at some time in the future if they wanted; L4D2 offers a 4-pack of their game at a slight discount, which I guess is a nice deal if you and 3 friends want to play co-op or something.
    (by the way, I bought a second SE copy as a Christmas present, so they got $80 out of me...that wouldn't have happened with your proposed bundle :P)
    If you're giving your copy to a friend who would buy then you're not really understanding the point. If you're seeing it as getting an extra copy for free, again you are not understanding the point. If you are seeing this as an opportunity to grow the userbase while not being preoccupied with purchasing perks, then you get it.

Your point in (b) is valid though; however using higher cost as the bar to filter out premature judgment just seems odd. An opt-in form or link on the forums would seem more appropriate in making sure only the enthusiasts receive alpha.
    Ok so your point is for an "opportunity to grow the userbase while not being preoccupied with purchasing perks".

I can see how your support edition encourages it, by bringing NS2 to more people and by doing away with the perks that "true supporters" shouldn't really care about.

But wouldn't "true supporters" just buy multiple copies of the game and give it off the street, or to people they think would be interested? Why the need for an extra bundle type? Sure, that might make it easier for "true supporters" and reward them for their support. But wouldn't "true supporters" just buy the normal pack, and support UWE by spending more?
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you pull in everyone and their mom, the skill ranges will be that far.
    Also you will have retards that compare everything to counterstrike on games more often - yuck!
    but only professional players is just as bad, as they bark as loudly as those cs-tards.
    <!--quoteo(post=1747337:date=Jan 14 2010, 03:10 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jan 14 2010, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok so your point is for an "opportunity to grow the userbase while not being preoccupied with purchasing perks".

I can see how your support edition encourages it, by bringing NS2 to more people and by doing away with the perks that "true supporters" shouldn't really care about.

But wouldn't "true supporters" just buy multiple copies of the game and give it off the street, or to people they think would be interested? Why the need for an extra bundle type? Sure, that might make it easier for "true supporters" and reward them for their support. But wouldn't "true supporters" just buy the normal pack, and support UWE by spending more?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Supporter's Edition would just be for tangibility, under the proposed model, yes, it would be the same thing as buying two copies. Basically, anything that allows us to buy multiple copies without having to worry about buying perks first.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you pull in everyone and their mom, the skill ranges will be that far.
    Also you will have retards that compare everything to counterstrike on games more often - yuck!
    but only professional players is just as bad, as they bark as loudly as those cs-tards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was thinking to add that as counter-argument ©. How many new players will be good additions to the community? We'd have to trust the supporter who is giving out the copies to make a wise selection so as not to give it to a potential customer, but also not to just give it away to any old CS player. It's sort of in line with the age-old question: is any publicity always good publicity?