Speculation: The Fade

RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
We have no clue about the fabled Fade. What do you guys think?

Comments

• slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I believe it was suggested that lights would flicker when the fade walks by them. I like this idea and would like to see it implemented.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    I thought everyone already saw the secretly placed fade in this wallpaper? Pretty old now, thought everyone would know.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/wallpapers/Mining_CentralDrilling_1920x1200.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/wal...g_1920x1200.jpg</a>
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746757:date=Jan 11 2010, 07:22 AM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ Jan 11 2010, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought everyone already saw the secretly placed fade in this wallpaper? Pretty old now, thought everyone would know.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/wallpapers/Mining_CentralDrilling_1920x1200.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/wal...g_1920x1200.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The <strike>cake</strike> fade is a lie!
  • VanillamarineVanillamarine Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69068Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746757:date=Jan 11 2010, 07:22 AM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ Jan 11 2010, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought everyone already saw the secretly placed fade in this wallpaper? Pretty old now, thought everyone would know.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/wallpapers/Mining_CentralDrilling_1920x1200.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/wal...g_1920x1200.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks dude, was searching 3 mins and found NOTHING. You really got me there :/
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746757:date=Jan 11 2010, 03:22 AM:name=ctd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctd @ Jan 11 2010, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought everyone already saw the secretly placed fade in this wallpaper? Pretty old now, thought everyone would know.

How could you guys miss it? It's wearing a yellow jumpsuit!
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    I hope it'll still be as vulnerable and deadly as in NS1. Or maybe by choosing different upgradepaths you could choose between a melee fighter that can take some punishment and a target striker. I think the developers somewhere described it as a deadly surgical precision striker...
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746741:date=Jan 11 2010, 03:44 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Jan 11 2010, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe it was suggested that lights would flicker when the fade walks by them. I like this idea and would like to see it implemented.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can see how it would add to the creepy-ness of "oh crap theres a fade nearby!!" but I personally think that "coolness factor" is outweighed by the fact that the game will be saying "HEY! Fade over here trying to hide! Don't worry I'll warn you!"

Just me though
    that could get a bit annoying for fade players as well
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    normal movespeed = flicker, stand & sneak = on? - makes cloaking quite usefull...
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    I don't like the idea of the fade making lights flicker :( people will hack around it and within notime the fade will need a boost because everyone's turned off the flickering lights.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    The fade got talked about in the dev chat with competitive players. This was like 5 months ago mind you, but the idea for blink being thrown around was a rapid fire short distance teleport on a more hit and run unit than the flying tank it is now.

It sounded good.
  • KalibrageKalibrage Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69564Members
    Na its a good idea because, what if its just actually the light thats flick naturally ? If you know wat i mean. This way some map can just make people freak out for nothing ^^
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I heard the Fade is going to be Blue.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Well It'd be more believable if the lights only flickered when the fade made a blink teleportation jump, some cool effect eg. something similar to the effect in the "Jumper" movie. and the lights first intensifying and then shutting off for a short while after the jump. So it would be like the electromagnetic disruptions from the blink that overcharges nearby electrical equipment.

Perhaps this could even be applicable to the Marines Hud display in some way... The Fade blinks by you and your Hud intensifies in gamma for a split second and then some shortlived distortion to it before it resets. Not talking one of those annoying stunned, dazed effects but merely some flickering distortions to the elements on hud, like ammo counter etc. but still nothing that would limit your abilities.

Would certainly add to the immersion.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The fade was often bound to other (less powerful) minions to keep them from turning on their master. When the fade died, the minions lost the connection to their master, at which point they often died.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Maybe make the lights only flicker when he uses the blink ability...
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1746964:date=Jan 12 2010, 01:27 PM:name=Cruor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cruor @ Jan 12 2010, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well It'd be more believable if the lights only flickered when the fade made a blink teleportation jump, some cool effect eg. something similar to the effect in the "Jumper" movie. and the lights first intensifying and then shutting off for a short while after the jump. So it would be like the electromagnetic disruptions from the blink that overcharges nearby electrical equipment.

Perhaps this could even be applicable to the Marines Hud display in some way... The Fade blinks by you and your Hud intensifies in gamma for a split second and then some shortlived distortion to it before it resets. Not talking one of those annoying stunned, dazed effects but merely some flickering distortions to the elements on hud, like ammo counter etc. but still nothing that would limit your abilities.

Would certainly add to the immersion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The effects of the 'jump' in that movie are what I enjoyed the most about it .. the story was .. meh, the acting was .. meh .. but I loved the way they showed the act of the 'jump'.

I support this idea.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    edited January 2010
    Point + click teleport. Oh lawd, please give us the point + click teleport.

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it, the short range rapid fire teleport sounds pretty sex.
    <!--quoteo(post=1746947:date=Jan 12 2010, 03:57 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Jan 12 2010, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fade got talked about in the dev chat with competitive players. This was like 5 months ago mind you, but the idea for blink being thrown around was a rapid fire short distance teleport on a more hit and run unit than the flying tank it is now.

It sounded good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly this is how it should have been all along. I hope to see this as well, as long as we don't get fades getting stuck into the walls when they teleport-blink, like in NS of ye-old (for those of you not around long enough, there WAS a point click teleport blink, but people often got blinked into things like walls, etc, getting stuck). Although I did enjoy teleporting past thin grates and just hanging out where you couldn't be touched >.>
  • CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    I rather like the idea of the lights flickering when fade is in action. In effect, that would mean when the fade blinks, the marines will have to also. This can be balanced by lowering the overall stamina of the fade. Lowering the stamina is important. Currently the experiance with marines fighting fades feel somewhat similar to ack-ack guns facing off against a steel plated, self healing, dive bombing flying fortress of doom, I would rather not add a lightning storm to those impossible odds.

And please dont spamm reply this with "omg ppl will just hax the blink effect off", I'd like to think most of us aren't at that level of nerdiness.

At least I think I'm not :/
  • Death DragonDeath Dragon Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70072Members
    How about giving the Fade the ability to destroy light sources? (think Splinter Cell)
    The lights could be repaired.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    flying fotress? tank? That's pub-nub speak. Ever since gordon freeman's hitbox was retired and two lvl1 LMGs can rip through about anything it's better known as the Paper Fade.

Blinking lights treads too fine a line between creative gameplay and gimmick. This seems a lot like the zero-g idea: very creative if unorthodox, but heavily dependent on map design. I'd be interested in seeing it in alpha or beta, but it should be designed so that it can be easily scrapped with minimal impact.
    rapid-fire short range blink sounds good...especially if there's an afterimage left behind momentarily from the blink
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    Fade teleport needs to have a badass effect like others have been saying.
    <!--quoteo(post=1747030:date=Jan 13 2010, 01:35 AM:name=Hoodedsniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoodedsniper @ Jan 13 2010, 01:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade teleport needs to have a badass effect like others have been saying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think gameplay effect is something we should worry about more, instead of graphic effects.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747036:date=Jan 13 2010, 01:01 AM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Jan 13 2010, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think gameplay effect is something we should worry about more, instead of graphic effects.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The two are not mutually exclusive. A speed-blipping fade would hardly look natural. Major immersion break.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    I like the idea of flickering lights, but for the fade it must suck
    it is the same as their distinctive noise

it should in some way help the fade (strobe inducing suisure on marine team)
    or there should be an upgrade to disable it (like silenced fades)

other wise it looks good :)
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747043:date=Jan 13 2010, 02:42 AM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Jan 13 2010, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The two are not mutually exclusive. A speed-blipping fade would hardly look natural. Major immersion break.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats quite an extreme sway to what I said.

Immersion aside, I'm talking balance. May just be my opinion, but balance and effect on gameplay needs to be addressed before "yeah! Make it look cool!!!!11"

Especially going above and beyond with a "bad ass effect!!!" before gameplay. As long as it functions well it doesn't need to have some insane jumper-style particle pretty graphic explosion extravaganza.

My initial comment was on the gameplay side of the fade's blink. I was simply drawing back to that.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747049:date=Jan 12 2010, 08:08 PM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Jan 12 2010, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As long as it functions well it doesn't need to have some insane jumper-style particle pretty graphic explosion extravaganza.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I don't really mind either implementation, but it was really hard to figure out the old point+click when I tried it recently (yay firing up a 1.04 version) but I can certainly see it's appeal. However, suddenly warping places can be really disorienting (for both player and enemies).

Would be interesting if they can get it right!
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747026:date=Jan 13 2010, 12:19 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 13 2010, 12:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->flying fotress? tank? That's pub-nub speak. Ever since gordon freeman's hitbox was retired and two lvl1 LMGs can rip through about anything it's better known as the Paper Fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well since fades are impossible to miss they generally take a ###### load of hits while attacking and retreating. Kind of like a tank. hmm.