Extreme Widescreen Support? (AKA Triple Head)

GammaLeoGammaLeo Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69108Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Would it be feasible to allow options and support for triple head ?</div>Greeting, I searched and could not find any previous references to this idea off the bat.

What I'm asking about is referring to the idea of multiple monitors placed together acting as one larger display. This typically is referred to as triple head or "surround gaming", depending on the number of monitors used.
<a href="http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/" target="_blank">Visit HERE</a> for examples of what I'm talking about and a software solution that works with most modern games.

Now, it's not possible to my knowledge to have native support for this option, I'm not expecting it. However it would be nice to have support for it in game, command options for setting HUD element offsets and positions, FOV settings, custom resolution setup, etc. I would expect to be able to do a few of these anyway I just would like to make sure they appear.

A few advantages to the triple head experience:
I am currently running the software solution I linked to earlier on. It is quite nice to say the least.
While most of the time this setup only truly shines within simulation games, racing, aircraft, rts even. I believe it would be worthwhile in NS.
It seems to me that in normal FPS games the extreme widescreen typically doesn't help much because of where the player is focused. This is because the players typically use projectile weapons and therefore everything gets "funneled" into the small box of your primary screen. Periphery is not so important, but can still can be helpful.
In NS we have two teams, the aliens with mostly short range attacks must be able to spot a marine from a long distance if they hope to avoid gunfire. While the marines need to be able to spot the aliens in errant corners and locations while in close quarters.
The larger screen format allows a large periphery and helps both sides. Even the commanders are given larger swaths of the map to keep their eyes on.
All players benefit.

*As a side note I have yet to get this working with the original HL/NS. The design seems to have been limited to not include such extreme resolutions such as 3840x1024, or a way to specify them. I'll report back if I can get it to work.

Comments

• homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    I have ran dual (and tripple) screens in several MMOs, but I can't imagine running dual screens in a fast paced FPS. Hell, I find the onscreen marine mini-map too far to look. It simply takes too much 'time' to look at different screens.
  • GammaLeoGammaLeo Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69108Members
    Well, that is one of the reasons I wanted to ask about support for HUD elements. If you could place them either on the inside edges of the outside panels or all the way back inside the main screen you would have your information right in front of you again.
    Currently I don't find it a problem to have to look far for my specific information, I don't wind up requiring the mini-map all the time and never need the full map anyway. I also have a "feel" for ammo counts and health. But that is me.

Here is another interesting option of self positioned HUD elements. If your the commander as long as your allowed to you could have one panel with the full map view open at one time while the other screens could be used for the normal elements.
    I don't know how much of the client side is customizable in NS2 retail, but I would expect it rather easy in a mod to be able to place things where you like using the LUA scripting.
    If it were necessary the consistency check in NS2 will probably include anything to do with the hud. For instance in GMOD people used client side lua scripts that created a radar for players and npcs, locating them at all times. While not a game breaker for Gmod it certainly would be in NS2.

One reason I push so much for at least a little leeway toward the screen support is because of the game DeadSpace. I didn't find the regular game to be very immersive or anything. I found out why when I used the triple head software on it. On normal monitors, and widescreens, when you have a weapon out and ready to fire you are looking in such a small space. With so much screen real-estate you still can see most of the area while focused. It makes you feel much more alone and vulnerable realizing that even when ready there is all this space for potential threats. Mind you I've played through and beat the game before so I even remembered where they would show. Again I have to state, these are my experiences, I guess not everyone would be able to use so much screen.

One more thing to consider, while not much, is that with the addition of the <a href="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=9" target="_blank">ATi 5870</a> video card it has 3d hardware support for 3 monitors at once. It's assuredly not the main reason anyone is buying these cards though.
  • Vash_Fourty_Five_LcVash_Fourty_Five_Lc Join Date: 2003-06-01 Member: 16913Members
    I too would like to see proper support for triple monitors hopefully. I run three 32 inch HDTVs for my gaming setup on my PC.

It is actually VERY immersive when used for an FPS, as those two side monitors are mostly used with your peripheral vision, which can be a life-saver in a FPS. And if the ability to have a Centered HUD or positionable HUD were implemented, that'd be a great bonus.

Of course I know that triple monitor users are probably still the minority, but some games have surprised me with their perfect or near perfect support for us. HAWX and Burnout: Paradise being the most standout for perfect resolution support out of the box, a centered HUD on the center monitor, and no stretching of any elements. (FMVs are rendered only on the center and not stretched across all three, or cutscenes render correctly across all three with proper horizontal + aspects)

Just hoping considering that NS2 is being built from the ground up that if we toss our support for triple monitors in here early enough in the development process that the Dev Team can sprinkle it in there...
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    edited December 2009
    If this were a single-player game I'd be all for it, but the way I see it for multiplayer games is you're spending extra effort to give people who had $$$ a significant FOV advantage, especially in any game where quick target acquisition and surprise attacks are going to be prominent.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd imagine it'd shine with three touchscreens (especialy for the commander mode). I expect them to be widely available (and cheap) in less then ten years.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1743482:date=Dec 11 2009, 09:34 PM:name=Terr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terr @ Dec 11 2009, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this were a single-player game I'd be all for it, but the way I see it for multiplayer games is you're spending extra effort to give people who had $$$ a significant FOV advantage, especially in any game where quick target acquisition and surprise attacks are going to be prominent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ ^ ^

In an ideal situation, all hardware profiles should confer the same gameplay experience in terms of advantages and disadvantages. If the balance were to be tilted, I'm all for people with better hardware having an advantage over those with lesser (as that's ridiculous - punishing people for playing with all options on is stupid). Since ideal balance is impossible, there's a line. Surround sound is on one side of that line, and TH2G is on the other. I don't know where the line is, but ridiculous hardware-based FOV advantage for TH2G is on the wrong side of it.

What's more, I have an easier time seeing surround sound and such on the list of 'required hardware' but simply advanced, whereas TH2G is more of a gimmicky add-on. Next thing you know we'll be putting in TrackIR and ###### too. Just not needed.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743482:date=Dec 11 2009, 03:34 PM:name=Terr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terr @ Dec 11 2009, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this were a single-player game I'd be all for it, but the way I see it for multiplayer games is you're spending extra effort to give people who had $$$ a significant FOV advantage, especially in any game where quick target acquisition and surprise attacks are going to be prominent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even with a single screen there are advantages for the people with significant $$ advantage:

Higher framerates
    Higher quality settings
    Larger screens
    Faster processing to allow 3rd party apps like recording for playback used to see what you did wrong

Allowing multiple moniters will affect a very few people, and if competitions wanted to be hardcore they would make sure to have settings control to require a single monitor. For public play does it really matter?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The game should support wide field of view regardless of gameplay issues. It is then up to the <u>server</u> to allow/disallow players with an extended FOV.
    <!--quoteo(post=1744615:date=Dec 22 2009, 02:21 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Dec 22 2009, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game should support wide field of view regardless of gameplay issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ... because you say so?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744618:date=Dec 22 2009, 09:10 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Dec 22 2009, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... because you say so?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because it provides the most flexibility to the game. There is nothing technically difficult with allowing a wide field of view. Consequently, the ONLY reason to disallow it is because it MAY affect gameplay balancing. The same is true for resolution, aliasing, and refresh rate. The game COULD force them all to be the same for all players, but it doesn't make sense because different people have different configurations.

So, give the choice to the server and let them restrict it (or not). Players can then decide if they want a server with forced FOV or not.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744604:date=Dec 22 2009, 12:17 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Dec 22 2009, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allowing multiple moniters will affect a very few people,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A reason for them to not bother wasting time implementing it.
    I have a dual screen setup... (for when im working)
    So dont say I am bias.
    <!--quoteo(post=1744630:date=Dec 22 2009, 05:36 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Dec 22 2009, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the ONLY reason to disallow it is because it MAY affect gameplay balancing. The same is true for resolution, aliasing, and refresh rate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excuse me while I laugh my way out of this thread.
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    edited December 2009
    Look, at <u>some</u> point we must draw the line where additional $$$ shouldn't give a "richie rich advantage" to a player.

And IMO doubling or tripling your peripheral vision (<u>especially</u> for this type of marine/alien gameplay) is definitely over that line.

Yes, it's true, it's largely an arbitrary decision. And guess what? Nobody really likes the fact that it's not 100% scientifically determine-able.

<b>But it has to be made</b>, and I believe a lot of people would agree that the type of bonus you get is too much for this type of game. If this were a game of online chess, it wouldn't matter. But it isn't.
    I'm back for a quick note. I mentioned (in the other thread) that... well back in the day nobody really had surround sound. Nothing supported it because everyone used stereo and surround sound was expensive and rare. As more and more people started getting it, it eventually made sense to put it into games as a standard feature. Now you're at a disadvantage without it because a large amount of players have it.

Maybe when three-screen displays become as common as surround sound we could look into it, but right now it's just a niche advantage and frankly a COLOSSAL waste of time and resources.
  • DenuviateDenuviate Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67634Members
    I'm hoping they'll add triple screen support in a later version. Maybe not with an increased FOV. But something like 1st person view on the center screen. Map on the left and some other stats on the right. Maybe team stats and res. It would certainly make the comms job much easier if the centre screen was the regular view, the left showed the map and the right detailed statistics on your team with health, armor, equipment etc.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1745027:date=Dec 28 2009, 09:01 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Dec 28 2009, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm back for a quick note. I mentioned (in the other thread) that... well back in the day nobody really had surround sound. Nothing supported it because everyone used stereo and surround sound was expensive and rare. As more and more people started getting it, it eventually made sense to put it into games as a standard feature. Now you're at a disadvantage without it because a large amount of players have it.

Maybe when three-screen displays become as common as surround sound we could look into it, but right now it's just a niche advantage and frankly a COLOSSAL waste of time and resources.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's true that three screens is pretty rare for someone to have, however it's not so rare for people to have dual monitors. All the graphic cards out on the market these days can hook up two monitors and monitors are getting pretty cheap.

Although three screens would be a waste of time to implant, I don't think two-screen would be.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited March 2010
    i've started playing a heli sim called black shark - and it uses LUA for all of its hud and screen options - this gives anyone the ability to use any number of monitors of any size to display any part of the game - very flexible. I'm sure NS2 could do the same.

The whole point of 3 screens for would be immersion - the two side monitors are really just for atmosphere/peripheral vision
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/nvidia-3d-vision-surround-eyes-on-triple-the-fun/" target="_blank">http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/nvidia-...triple-the-fun/</a>

well you no longer need a matrox device for surround gaming - just a 2 gfx cards :)

i'd say multi monitor gaming is going to take off soon
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    My FOV in quake live is 130 degrees... NS2 would be awesome if I could set it to that...